Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Thanks a lot Sony >:(

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Thanks a lot Sony >:(

People, please tone it down a notch. We are all entitled to our opinions, and as of right now regardless of the data presented, future predictions are only guesses; any or all could be right or wrong. Trends are what they are, but none of us KNOW what the future holds, so no sense arguing about it. Share your thoughts in a friendly fashion sure, but let's not dip to the aggressive type of banter that pervades other forums.

What I think may help steer this thread is to look back at history. Ever since I began shooting, "pro" level camera sales have encompassed a very small percentage of the total camera market and users. I believe they still do and will continue to do so for some time.

That said, I have a prediction to share: that ultimately we'll all be capturing continuous, streaming 4K video through a pair of $100 glasses. The $1000 glasses will have better buffer and optics. The $10 pair will be 2K capture with lesser optics, akin to the Kodak Brownie camera I had as a kid. We won't have storage cards per se, as a basic cell phone -- which will be called a "pocket device" -- will have a couple TB of bubble memory that we can stream our glasses capture directly to.
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Need to invent it now and get a patent on it. Than I can retire. Lol
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

The OP complains about ease of design for 3rd party and I think he has a point. Regarding the A mount there is a simple matter of volume. Not many use this mount compared to to Canikon.

As far as E-mount is concerned Sony has not made it easy either. It may be the quest to replace the 5D as a video machine which has them putting thick cover glass on their sensors, but what ever the reason, new lenses for the E mount 35 and wider must be specially designed to perform as well as Canikon counterparts.

As a lens maker, like sigma, should I invest in a totally new design, like the FE35/2.8, or attempt to adapt a current design to the CG, like the Loxia 35/2, which has many in "meh" mode?

If I do invest in a new design, how do I know these cameras will not be superseded by thinner CG which won't love my new lens so much?

Sony misses the obvious solution: Let the e-mount evolve in two directions: one with 4K video and ISO performance a priority, and what ever CG will support that (thinner the better) and second, a still priority camera with emphasis on wide compatibility, compact footprint for FF, and highest still image quality; the means a CG about .8mm to 1mm, i.e. around what the M240 has. Then everyone will be very very happy

If you are not clear why this issue is a the heart of the matter:

http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2014...adapted-lenses

http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2014...does-it-matter
    Last edited by uhoh7; 11th February 2015 at 12:39.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    Not an anti-Sony tirade but an amusing fact:

The A7 (and even its batteries taken out of the camera!) is the only camera I have that will drain its batteries while sitting on the shelf from 100% to 10% in three weeks time without the camera being used at all. (Yes, WiFi is off.)

The worst of any of my other cameras in the same time period drags the battery down to 40%.

It's a power hungry little bugger. :-)

G
    If you have set up your camera for WiFi connection, try setting it to "airplane mode".

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    Not making lenses in A, E or FE mount is a very simple to understand business decision by Sigma (and presumably also Tamron and Tokina). Around 2008-2010, Sony had a DSLR market share of 10-15%. Now, with the SLT cameras, it's less than 5% and sinking. It doesn't make sense for Sigma to produce A-mount lenses for such a small market with the extra, worldwide logistics costs involved, particularly when they have to compete with Sony's rather good Zeiss lenses and also considering the fact that Sony only makes one full frame A-mount camera, the A99, a camera that doesn't seem to sell very well.

With E-mount and the mirrorless market, Sony has a larger market share, but also that share is sinking (under 30% now), and since Sony is the only manufacturer making full frame mirrorless cameras, any full frame lens developed by Sigma for FE mount would be a "Sony Special", relevant only to a tiny fraction of the camera market.

Here's a graph made by German consumer research company GFK in connection with Photokina last year. Sony A7 is a tiny slit of the rather small, sky blue stripe under the navy blue on top:

Where did they get these numbers? I thought the mirrorless looked really low. They don't jive remotely with these from CIPA shipment

SLR 10.5M
    Mirrorless 3.3M
    fixed lenses 29.6M

SLR 13.8M
    Mirrorless 3.3M
    fixed lenses 45.7M

http://www.cipa.jp/stats/documents/e/d-2014_e.pdf

Post Thanks / Like

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dandrewk View Post
    If you have set up your camera for WiFi connection, try setting it to "airplane mode".
    Thanks! I'd done that pretty much the day I got the A7 body, but I think I used the WiFi feature to capture a party shot in December and forgot to turn it back to airplane mode. It's back in airplane mode again as of two days ago, and the drain is slower.

What was disturbing to me was that all of my spare batteries were drained down too. I see no good explanation of that. LiIon batteries for my other cameras don't drain so fast when just sitting.

G
    Godfrey - GDGPhoto Flickr Stream
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

They lose some but its pretty slow. Not sure but what charger are you using sometimes these things do not top the batteries off. Im using the duo Watson charger now and love it as it tells me its at 100 percent. There not exactly cheap at 75 dollars but it charges two at once which is real nice. I do recommend it since most of us now are pretty well set to stay in Sony and I don't see the batteries changing either.

See if I can find a link

Okay 80 bucks

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...rger_with.html

BTW Im not really seeing any real difference between a sony branded battery and a off brand like the Watsons. I have 6 batteries now and a mixed bag between them and Im not testing for it but I have not noticed any difference in performance.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like

Sigma 24mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art Lens for Sony A

Sigma 24mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art Lens for Sony A 401-205 B&H Photo
    Mike Broomfield
    www.pbase.com/mike_broomfield

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mbroomfield View Post
    Sigma 24mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art Lens for Sony A

Sigma 24mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art Lens for Sony A 401-205 B&H Photo
    Mike:

I guess if Sonyalpharumors were aware of Emily Litella they could just say "Never mind!"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emily_Litella
    Last edited by jfirneno; 14th February 2015 at 05:14. Reason: ommission

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Okay line to see a 85 1.4 to round the Art series out. Someone had to say it. I'm actually trying to buy my Sigma 35 Art back.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jfirneno View Post
    Mike:

I guess if Sonyalpharumors were aware of Emily Litella they could just say "Never mind!"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emily_Litella
    Haha! Well I don't have a TV so I had to look that up ... thanks for the link! To be fair to SAR I think all the reports only listed SigCanikon. I'm not sure why.

I was tempted to order the Sony version now but I don't have any A lenses and the adapter is pricey for just 1 lens. I'm interested in it for astro .. I might get the Nikon and use adapters I have, but I'll wait for the reviews to come out I think.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Okay line to see a 85 1.4 to round the Art series out. Someone had to say it. I'm actually trying to buy my Sigma 35 Art back.
    As a Nikon shooter, I have a killer 85/1.4 in the G lens. What is really needed is a good AF converter for Nikon G to Sony EF. AF-S lenses focus very fast and I see no reason they wouldn't/shouldn't on the Sony with an appropriate adapter...
    Jack

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well the Sony 85 1.4 ZA is no slouch by any means at all. But like the rest of the Art series they make a lot of the OEM lenses take a back seat to them. A 85 ArT would most likely be in OTUS territory as designing long glass is far more easier to build very high quality to the wides.

I do agree a much nicer Nikon to Sony adapter needs to be made like the Metabones for Canon. Right now it's much smarter to buy Canon mount for Sonys because you get EXIF and more important in body aperture control. AF is slow but you get everything else

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Also just for the record using Sony A glass via the LAE4 adapter AF is extremely fast and accurate. So in ART series most of us would buy the A mount. I have 2 A mount lenses now and 1 Canon mount lens in my TSE. Only native lens I have is the 16-35 which is very good.

Post Thanks / Like

... Only native lens I have is the 16-35 which is very good.
    You're like a broken record ... I can think of about 4 or 5 occasions in the past fortnight you've said that ... I'm trying to round out my primes and you're making me feel like I've taken the wrong path
    A7II, FE 35, 55 C/Y 18, 28, 85, 100, 28-85

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This zoom is worthy of my repetition of praise. I just don't give it unless it's deserved. Personally I think it's the best 16-35 on the market. I never seen one handle the very wide this good.

My shots in the fun thread on the workshop with this lens are technically stunning.

Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mbroomfield View Post
    Haha! Well I don't have a TV so I had to look that up ... thanks for the link! To be fair to SAR I think all the reports only listed SigCanikon. I'm not sure why.

I was tempted to order the Sony version now but I don't have any A lenses and the adapter is pricey for just 1 lens. I'm interested in it for astro .. I might get the Nikon and use adapters I have, but I'll wait for the reviews to come out I think.
    Mike:

Don't worry I can never really get mad at SAR. It's too good a source for comedy. Have you ever read the comments? It's like a demolition derby. Besides sometimes accurate information shows up there.

But before I get anymore a-mount lenses (Sigma or otherwise) I will wait to see how the new FE-28 with 21mm adapter seems. I don't have high hopes for the adapter but 28mm is a good length for me. I'm also very interested in the FE 35 f1.4. I've seen some fairly interesting comments about it from the CP+ show and even though I like the FE 35 f2.8 I'm tempted..

Regards,
    John
    Last edited by jfirneno; 14th February 2015 at 10:24. Reason: overuse of the word honestly

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm more than tempted its either the new Zeiss 35 1.4 or get my dang Sigma 35 1.4 back.

Post Thanks / Like

This zoom is worthy of my repetition of praise. I just don't give it unless it's deserved. Personally I think it's the best 16-35 on the market. I never seen one handle the very wide this good.

My shots in the fun thread on the workshop with this lens are technically stunning.
    I'm inclined to agree. I am currently post processing several images that include a chain railing. The iron links are enormous and are exposed to salt air, and thus have a thick coating of rust that have fascinating texture.

Using the 16-35 wide open at around 20mm, real close to the links, the level of sharpness and detail is astounding. Looking at it with a 27" Retina screen almost makes me dizzy. I've never seen anything like that outside of a macro lens.

Post Thanks / Like

thing is sony have been asleep at the wheel with A mount, if they raided the parts bin they could chuck out some bloody amazing cameras (a99s,R) a78 with no AA filter

all those with 5axis ibis

oh look ive just made D4s rival and d800e rival, and 7dm2 killer

but nope, lets have a another e mount body that isnt needed.

and lets not market a mount, and bury it on our own websites...

Post Thanks / Like

Well, it's nice that one year after the introduction of the A7 it's now possible to seriously shoot landscapes wider than 35mm, albeit at f/4, and at nearly same cost as a body.

When you think of all the bizarre sony variant cameras, video and still, which sold few copies over the years, it's hard to figure the tight attitude to lenses. Every E apparently must also be video friendly.

The ISO performance of the A7"s" seems to preclude any fast zooms at all.

"Just use LAEA4" It does work fine but at that point I'd rather have a A99.

Oh well, Sony has shown everyone the real possibilities of EVIL FF, and implemented a decent series of MF aids to make other glass focusable, which is more than anyone else can claim.

I'm liking mine more than ever, now that I have a thinner CG and can use many small M wide lenses, including SEM 21

Post Thanks / Like

How is it so weird and confusing to first develop lenses that address the needs of the vast majority of intended users?

Having a fast, wide angle prime is needed by some, but still a small percentage of photographers. I bet a sizable portion of A7x users are satisfied with the kit lens, or at least the 24-70ZA. Why does everyone expect a massive assortment of obscure lenses one year after the camera was introduced?

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Most of this sort of discussion seems to always devolve to a camera war ... when the subject of this thread is actually optics.

So, the OP's point is a very valid one. IMHO ... Optics first and foremost!

I'm with Jack on all this. The FE mount lenses leave a lot to be desired IMO. The A7R I use serves as a convenient HR platform for a few favorite adapted lenses, while the slow aperture FE lenses are for AF convenience at best. Can't fault some of them technically, but to me they're better on paper and in forum discussions than in reality. IMO, were it not for the adaptability as a "back" for other optics (including the faster ZAs), the A7 series would have sputtered out quickly.

Nikon's DNA is optics. Most certainly so is Leica's. Same for Fuji's, as is Canon's. Sony's DNA is as an electronics company.

Up to now, Sony has produced the A7, A7-II, A7R, A7s mirror-less cameras ... four freaking FE mount cameras and a meager two slowish FE prime lenses in the same time period. That is electronics over photographic optics IMO.

The faster FE mount lenses coming are freakishly BIG ... which in my own experience on such a small body, is unbalanced and more fatiguing to use than a more balanced DSLR.

At first, I thought Sony/Zeiss DSLR would be a match made in heaven. It reminded me of Contax (Kyocera and Zeiss), but hopefully with a different outcome : -). So far that combo ain't working in the same manner that it did with Contax. Sony quickly abandoned the optical viewfinder for a electronic one as further evidence they are NOT an optically centric company.

At first they offered the A900 with an exceptional OVF (probably thanks to Minolta), and a very nice array of Zeiss AF optics ... some fast primes including the incomparable ZA-135/1.8. The three ZA and G f/2.8 zooms were every bit as good as the Canon/Nikon offerings, and in some ways better. (They never did bring out the staple ZA-35/1.4 which was quite disappointing).

The faster FE mount lenses coming are freakishly BIG ... which in my own experience on such a small body, is unbalanced and more fatiguing to use than a more balanced DSLR.

Sony are not selling many A99 SLTs because it is OLD and the only FF DSLR style camera they offer. Nikon/Canon is killing them there.

So, IF Sony A Mount FF loyal users have been abandoned, they will be sitting with a bunch of larger, faster ZA AF lenses they can only adapt to the the piss-ant A7 camera with an awkwardly clunky and fragile LA-EA-4 SLT adapter. A very undesirable Frankensteinish, Rube Goldberg contraption with Sony and Zeiss logos on it.

Thanks Sony

- Marc
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post

Up to now, Sony has produced the A7, A7-II, A7R, A7s mirror-less cameras ... four freaking FE mount cameras and a meager two slowish FE prime lenses in the same time period. That is electronics over photographic optics IMO.

At first, I thought Sony/Zeiss DSLR would be a match made in heaven. It reminded me of Contax (Kyocera and Zeiss), but hopefully with a different outcome : -). So far that combo ain't working in the same manner that it did with Contax. Sony quickly abandoned the optical viewfinder for a electronic one as further evidence they are NOT an optically centric company.

- Marc
    I can agree with what you say here, although coming from another background. I got an A7r because I was nostalgic of my Contax G2 film camera and a lover of mirrorless and EVF (I love my Olympus E-M5 ! ).

I'm surprised that there are still no small primes trilogy : I love the Sony Zeiss 55mm F1.8, but the announced 90mm macro is huge and a no no for me.

Remains to be seen how the 28mm F2 will perform, but I fear that it won't be as good as the 55mm. I'm still left wondering whether the register isn't too short to produce a small and distorsion less moderate wide angle prime opening at F2.8 but one that would be sharp from corner to corner. I'm expecting the first tests of the announced 28mm F2 with impatience.. It doesn't seem too big, but opening at F2 I fear some IQ compromise elsewhere may be in order.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well I have really no issues with size as even if they are the same as Nikon / canon lenses they are still serving a FF sensor there is no getting around that plus if the are 1.4 and more importantly which everyone seems to forget they are AF lenses which carry motors inside the lens. Now they may not feel so balanced on the A7r but if you like the new grip of the A7 II. Than they balance much better. Here is my bottom line even if they are exactly the same size I'm still working with a much smaller body at a cheaper cost and pulling the same IQ. On our workshop I carried a extra lens and a lee filter system in the same bag that I could not before shooting Nikon. I had 6 lenses everyday until I hurt my back than I took out the Canon 24 TSE one morning. If you want FE glass they have 3 very very good ones and several good ones but not stellar and don't fool yourself Nikon/ Canon have many just medicore glass too. But they do have outstanding ones as well but if you want a great kit the 16-35, 55 and 70-200 is a great kit but as soon as you want 1.4 glass your right smack back in DSLR size with AF glass! you just can't beat physics. The Loxia line is small but its manual focus and F2 . You also get a system that you can just about adapt anything to it. Leica users are just pissing and moaning because there cost savings over a 240 to a A7r just does not work on some of there wides. That's your problem don't blame Sony. I'm sick of reading about it. I'm really hating this God gift to the world attitude they should work because I want them too. Sony don't build for Leica glass and no one will.

I get to use some awesome glass from different companies that I never could before. When's the last time you used a Canon lens on a Nikon body, Leica body or something better than a canon body. Like never

I can do that now and if I had the money I would own a load more too.

Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Sony's DNA is as an electronics company.
    What an awesome pair of peptides that is!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Guy, I have, let's call it an intuition, that users will enjoy the FE 35/1.4 Distagon, with super fast SSM AF and what looks like a novel 12/8 design, unlike any CZ 'Distagons' (but really it is a brand name these days).

Nine blade aperture like the FE55, my guess is this is what the key design team have been beavering away at - the third and highest high end FE prime. How it goes against the ZM version and of course our other choices in Sigma, C/N/M/ZE will be excellent to see. It is the only one designed for Sony's forthcoming sensor tech and will have the most harmonious lens-body interaction. It has a very nice rings layout and design by the looks of it.

While waiting for the lens, here are the prices and weights of other contenders : Canon 35/1.4L: $1480 (580 grams); Nikon 35/1.4: $1800 (601 grams); Sigma ART 35/1.4: $900 (665 grams); Zeiss ZM 35/1.4: $2290 (380 grams); Zeiss ZE 35mm f1.4: $1843 (830 grams).

So the others are not giving away their product here. The FE price of 1300 Euros was floated a few weeks back. As Sony seldom price gouge, I am guessing $1300 in the US and 600 grams to carry, for a total 1070 grams on a7r/a7 and 1200 grams on a7II. Some people might even say: thanks a lot, Sony ;-)

Post Thanks / Like

I fully agree with Guy, you can't beat physics and good/bright FF lenses will always be big, no way around it. Philip's list shows that other brands are no different from that. Also I have used my ZA 135/1.8 with an LA-EA4 on my NEX6 and since with heavier lenses I always hold the lens rather than the camera I have no complaints about "unbalance" or anything. It's different from using it on an A850, but not better/worse. And if you don't like big and can handle MF then there's loads of options in unlimited variety of sizes, brightness and weight.

So I love all the options they provide with the different bodies and really see them as digital backs for anything you can throw at them. They might be an electronic company without too much optical heritage, but they provide a platform that opens too many options to choose from. So no complaints (nor piss and vinegar) from me.
    My Pics

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well said and the approach I view it as, its a digital back to bolt almost any lens that fits my fancy. We just can't do that in other brands. This is why I bought it or one good solid reason I did. I also wanted the focus peaking live view, zoom on the LCD and EVF. I never ever miss manual focus and with senior eyes it's a very important feature.

Really have to say after 25 workshops I have been on , I had zero complaints about my gear. It's always something or some nagging thing you have to workaround. I never felt any of that and actually for old fart pro really enjoyed shooting it and even better got some great images. Totally impressed by the 16-35 and even the Mitikon. Now most certainly I want the new body style of the A7II with a 50 mpx sensor and the better functions so when that comes I will be buying it, no question.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

But for the record, some of us larger folks with big hands H A T E the new A7ii grip design. The "old" A7r is WAYYYY more comfortable to me, and the new one is so stupid small, I will pass on any new body that has it, even if it does have 50.2 megapixels!

Sorry, just need to vent that Sony is clearly NOT an ergo OR optical centric company...
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

What's funny with smaller hands I like the new grip so much better. The new vertical grip is also very nice, better for big hands. Something one must try out first.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

But they do have Zeiss in there corner for optics. The A series glass is very good but they need to update to SSM motors on the 85 and 135 for instance. Question really is do they feel the A series is viable to continue or not. The A series has been ignored for awhile now. But no more ignored than Canon sitting on there hands for quite sometime.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Read this on SAR this morning and the new Zeiss 35 sounds very promising

3) Focus on 35mm Zeiss: The in-body stabilization (IBIS) technology developed by Sony is used not only for IBIS, but also for autofocus motors in the DXC-RX10 and the new FE mount 35mm F1.4 ZA lens being introduced. Direct Drive SSM is based off of technology used for in-body image stabilization. A piezoelectric element that translates an applied electrical field into mechanical movement is used for precise linear positioning of the focus group.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yes, yes, I think we all agree that the A series makes a nice digital back for a lot of favorite glass.

It is the native AF FE mount glass that fits the cameras that's lacking. 4 cameras and 2 primes is meager at best (plus, a slow 35 and 55/1.8 are too close in FL to be of real value). Expensive slow zooms defended by high ISO arguments forgets the value of subject separation and use of higher shutter speeds using cleaner base ISO. All the zooms are slow. Ergonomics (both physical and especially operational) of the Sony tiny-tot cameras is unnecessarily awkward and bewilderingly complex.

My bigger concern is the lack of a FF frame replacement for the A99 ... a much better featured camera than any A series, but now aging. That is a LOT of A mount ZA glass that will be orphaned should Sony not continue the SLT FF camera. The massively inelegant LEAE-4 adapter is NOT the answer ... nor is handling the camera by the lens which may kind of work for the 135/1.8, but not so good with other ZAs. Next we'll need strap lugs on the lenses : -)

ZAs will become paper-weights if there is no native FF camera, especially as Sony eventually trots out the FE line and twenty more FE mount cameras. The SLT is beginning to smell like the Contax N system all over again. Great Zeiss optics with no camera. At least the Leica R lenses were mechanical and could be adapted.

It's about optics ... the long term investment in them ... not re-buying everything over, and over, and over ... (unless of course you are Guy).

- Marc

Post Thanks / Like

ZAs will become paper-weights if there is no native FF camera
    If you are burdened by any of those paper-weights, I'll take them off your hands.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

My preferences are in order:

Great file, great glass available, camera that disappears in my hand and requires no thinking to operate. After that it's all frills.

Right now, that order is filled perfectly by my Nikon -- and I respect it's filled for others via other brands.

I believe the issue most are complaining about here is Sony's lack of good, fast, AF lenses for the full-frame E mount. Why keep bringing out better and better bodies that deliver great files, without any native glass to support contemporary operations (gee, you mean like fast AF?) on them? It seriously befuddles my mind...
    Jack

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    My preferences are in order:

Great file, great glass available, camera that disappears in my hand and requires no thinking to operate. After that it's all frills.
    I have that in my A7s.

(FWIW, could never get this sort of satisfaction from the Nikon DSLRs. SO, glad that I ditched Nikon)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Marc you have gone negative dude what's up. LOL

Seriously though buying in you have to decide what is going to work and what is not. For me the speed demon is the A7II and I seem to get along fine with the slower F4 zoom doing events and the AF speed adapter or not is working. But yes I agree more lenses both in A and E need to be made. But also lets face it most of us bought these like the A7r to adapt lenses to it. The ultimate PR wedding kit is really the A77II even with the crop factor it hits every note for speed and AF abilities but I agree they need a FF to back it up.

I give Sony about March 1st to spill there beans. These trade show announcements do absolutely nothing for them so I am ignoring this CP+ show as these shows are really not needed now with the advent of the internet. They get far more mileage announcing after the fact as the press corp just eats up all the data they can and reviews since it is not diluted by other announcements . Sony just needs to show there hand. Call

Post Thanks / Like

I think I've posted it before. Sony can't win. They make a lightweight lens with a slow maximum aperture, users complain that they need a faster lens. They make the same focal length faster, and the complaints are "too heavy".

Mirrorless or no, that's reality for all lenses.

Besides... and correct me if I'm wrong... Sony has never advertised lightness/compactness as a feature of their mirrorless cameras. It's really more of a by-product.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

So which "fast" lenses -- meaning f1.4 primes and f2.8 zooms -- are available from Sony in EF mount?
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like

Jack, with or without adapter?

I think I know the answer

Subscriber and Workshop Member MGrayson's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

What? You're not counting the Holga? Harsh...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

No adapters, because then it wouldn't be an "FE" mount lens, would it?

The Holga is like an f12 lens. And I do like it. At least it's about the right size for the A7r body
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    So which "fast" lenses -- meaning f1.4 primes and f2.8 zooms -- are available from Sony in EF mount?
    I believe you own an FE mount, ultra fast prime lens. Zeiss Loxia has a couple in the pipeline.

Sony itself has a 35 f1.4 about to be released in FE mount, and already there are many claiming it "too big", which is my point. They can't win.

Sony will probably never make an f2.8 zoom lens. Besides the size, they apparently don't sell very well, most likely because of the high price. Regardless, if I'm thinking I need a wide aperture for low light or tight focus, I'm usually not thinking "zoom lens".

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I said *SONY* EF mount lenses, meaning fast lenses made by Sony specifically for their EF mount cameras -- but you knew that
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like

Ok then, the Sony FE 35mm f1.4. One fast prime, although I would consider the FE55 1.8 fast.

This is a mass market manufacturer, so I don't expect them to focus 100% on a small core of professional users with particular needs.. It may be they will depend on third parties to service that niche, and users can always use adapters.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

ZAs will become paper-weights if there is no native FF camera
    Marc, Sony is doing "everything" to avoid this situation. Recently announced 35/1.4 ZA (for a FF camera) makes your statement invalid.
    I'm sure a850/900/99 will be around for a while for those who wish to stay adapterless.
    I may jump into FE world as soon as there is some special native glass available for it, such as fast (<= F/2.0) auto focus STF or tilt-shift, that is not found in other systems.
    Last edited by Malina DZ; 15th February 2015 at 15:04.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Malina DZ View Post
    Marc, Sony is doing "everything" to avoid this situation. Recently announced 35/1.4 ZA (for a FF camera) makes your statement invalid.
    I'm sure a850/900/99 will be around for a while for those who wish to stay adapterless.
    Yes or one could look to the FE cameras as a more flexible body for an "A-Mount solution" the way Leica did with the M240 as a "R-mount solution."

I digress though. In reality I think Sony will continue to support the A mount with a pro style FF body and a capable APS-C body. I really see that as the long term future of all DSLR's for the next 3-5 years.

I think we (well many of us) are the minority. Many pros I talk to care more about zooms than primes for pro work most of them are firmly in the Canon/Nikon camps and I don't see them leaving. What Sony is doing is smart in that they are filling gaps with zooms although I personally only am interested in two of them for my uses. Primes are great. I love them and prefer them in many cases - I'm a hobbyist though.
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dandrewk View Post
    I think I've posted it before. Sony can't win. They make a lightweight lens with a slow maximum aperture, users complain that they need a faster lens. They make the same focal length faster, and the complaints are "too heavy".

Mirrorless or no, that's reality for all lenses.

Besides... and correct me if I'm wrong... Sony has never advertised lightness/compactness as a feature of their mirrorless cameras. It's really more of a by-product.
    Agree. Sony is damned if they do or don't and I'm not in the habit of defending corporations mostly.
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com