The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

150-600mm zooms - Tamron or Sigma?

Any thoughts on these two lenses?

Sigma has promised one in a-mount 'soon' and the Tamron seems well regarded. The only significant feature difference I can see is that the Tamron doesn't have stabilization, while the Tamron will. Since I'll be using it on an A7ii, not sure it matters.

These would be used via the Sony LA-EA4 adapter, of course.

Any experiences with long zooms of either make?

Last edited:
I should add that I'm currently using a Minolta 500mm AF Reflex lens, which performs remarkably well. But I often miss having an aperture to control DOF. So I'm thinking one of these long zooms might be just the ticket.

ecsh

I just got the Tamron, and very initial tests show it does very well. I am using it on an A99 though. Since i am in Mass, i have not really had good weather to test this lens yet, but am excited.
Joe

Joe,

I'm curious about how solid the lens feels when it's fully extended. The photos I've seen almost make it look like it would jiggle around.

ecsh

Just tried that now, and there is no movement from the lens at all, with me holding the lens by the tripod foot and me shaking it lightly. The barrell is pretty rigid, but, the zooming is smooth. For a relatively inexpensive 600mm lens, i am quite impressed.

gurtch

I have the Tamron 150-600mm in Nikon mount. I have really not tested or used it much (freezing cold on east coast of USA), but please visit the site of a fabulous nature photographer name Ed Erkes. He puts it through it's paces with fabulous bird photos as well as test charts. Also compares it to other ultra high end lenses. After reading his review and seeing actual fabulous bird shots, I bought the lens
Good luck
Dave in NJ
The link:
Blog :: Ed Erkes Nature Photography

gurtch

You are welcome Mike. The detail in the bird photos is outstanding (at 600mm at that).
Just saw a link on Sony Rumors to B&H site that the Sigma will not be available in A mount. Your choice may have become easier.
Best of luck
Dave

iiiNelson

Thanks; hadn't seen that one.

Think I'm going for the Tamron. The A-mount Sigma seems uncertain, and I'm impatient. :)
Yeah it seems Sigma is backing away from Sony. I can understand not putting as much stock of their products as the Canon/Nikon but completely canceling products or not releasing them altogether seems a bit extreme - even if they made them special order products.

I know Sony has been mostly pushing E mount the last couple years and I can see where that could cause SOME concern for a 3rd party manufacturer. It's not like Sigma exactly has the best track record themselves. They were the bargain brand to buy (along with Tamron, Quantaray, Tokina, and Samyang more recently) when you couldn't afford the Canon/Nikon alternatives prior to them releasing the Art and Sports series.

MR states that he got a metal lens hood for the lens when he purchased it. I have a plastic one with mine. I wonder where he got the metal lens hood?
I was surprised to read that too. Certainly wouldn't expect a metal hood with a lens in this price range.

My lens will be here on Monday, so I'll be able to confirm (or refute) this soon.

iiiNelson

MR states that he got a metal lens hood for the lens when he purchased it. I have a plastic one with mine. I wonder where he got the metal lens hood?
The "Press Kit Special" maybe!?! I know when I worked in the media doing PR I often received many "non standard" extras but they were labeled as such usually.

ecsh

We will see when Mike gets his, but i am betting on plastic. I dont know if the metal is a benefit in this case, as it certainly would weigh more than the plastic unit, and be harder to hand hold. I dont really see an upside to the metal hood, especially as a cost factor for replacement if need be.

Sun vanished the minute I stepped outside, but here's the first shot from the lens. Initial impressions are good.

Tamron 150-600mm on Sony a7ii - 600mm, handheld @ 1/1250th.​

Last edited: