Site Sponsors

Thread: Is there an off-camera TTL extension cable available?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Is there an off-camera TTL extension cable available?

OK, so I am putting together a flash arrangement for my Sony A7R and need to be able to do some shooting with the flash off the camera. I doubt I need TTL, but let's start with that...

I want an adapter cable to use the flash off the camera and still have TTL sync. I don't want to cobble together a cable in pieces with Sony's adapter blocks and the coiled jack. Does anyone know if anyone is making a cable to do that in a single piece?

There's plenty for the old Sony/Minolta flash shoe, but seemingly none for the newer multi-interface shoe.

Second, if that fails, what about just a hotshoe to hotshoe connector? Non-TTL. Do the contacts in the multi-interface shoe interfere with making that old approach viable?

Thanks,

---Michael
    a7r, a7rII, FE 16-35, FE 24-70GM, FE 70-200, Loxia 21mm, 35mm, 50mm

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Is there an off-camera TTL extension cable available?

Phottix has the wireless (radio) TTL trans/receivers and flashes.

AFAIK, no cable TTL exists for the current flash shoe.

Single point (non TTL) cable, like the old Nikon SC-17 works. The sync speeds you would get out of that is less than the maximum possible.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Vivek, that is what I feared based on my searching around.

I'm OK with a non-dedicated cord, so I'll go that route for the time being. Maybe put together a TTL setup later, but for my initial purpose, I really just need a reliable trigger.

I also don't need to worry about the sync speed, because this is primarily for copy work, and I'll be tripod mounted and can work at any speed of my choosing.

---Michael

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    Phottix has the wireless (radio) TTL trans/receivers and flashes.

AFAIK, no cable TTL exists for the current flash shoe.

Single point (non TTL) cable, like the old Nikon SC-17 works. The sync speeds you would get out of that is less than the maximum possible.
    ADP-MAA and ADP-AMA adapters + old hotshoe TTL cable will give this functionality if one absolutely needs it. I actually modified a cable for old hotshoe with some RJ45-connectors so that I can extend a TTL cable with any CAT-6 cable. Worked just perfect with the longest cable I tested which was 5 meters if I remember correctly.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

tn1krr,

I'm a little unclear on what you did. Can you show us a photo or two? I've made up cable in the past, and also wired CAT 5 & 6 so this is no problem for me to do, but I'd need to get a hold of the appropriate interface blocks from someone to do it properly.

Thanks,

---Michael

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by mjm6 View Post
    tn1krr,

I'm a little unclear on what you did. Can you show us a photo or two? I've made up cable in the past, and also wired CAT 5 & 6 so this is no problem for me to do, but I'd need to get a hold of the appropriate interface blocks from someone to do it properly.
    I just cut a "Minolta" TTL cable in the middle and added RJ-45 connector to both ends just cut. After than I can use any RJ-45 cables/connectors to extend the cable to eany length needed. I'll see if I can find that cable (been a while since I used it) and take a pic if needed.