Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: FE 90mm f/2.8 Macro G OSS lens

Post Thanks / Like

Re: FE 90mm f/2.8 Macro G OSS lens

Quote Originally Posted by Knorp View Post
    Hi there Louis,

not doubting your statement regarding the sharpness of the DP3M, but isn't the razor thin DOF, as a result of 1:1 combined with the larger sensor, not to blame for perhaps the lack of "punch and sharpness" ?
    Perhaps you should post some more samples

Kind regards.
    Knorp

Yes, you could be very right about that. This is a satisfying lens to experiment with and I agree with ptdds's comment about the ease with which you can use this lens.

I find the autofocus hunts quite a bit so I would like ptdds to expand on his comment about how well it works.

LouisB

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Annna T View Post
    I do also have a Zeiss Contax G 90mm F2.8. It is even lighter and smaller (280gr !). I use it less, because the Techart adapter I have got is not working very well for AF (it is tricky) and MF with that adapter isn't very comfortable. I should probably get a simple MF adapter for my Contax Zeiss lenses.
    Do get the Fotodiox Pro for manual focus adapter. It is lighter and less expensive than the metabones adapter. I have the 45 and 90 Zeiss G lenses, both superb, but not macro at all. I wonder how the 90 would do with an extension tube? I don't think there are floating elements in it. But for macro I have the Zeiss 100 and 50 f2.0 Makro-Planar ZF.2 (really love the 50 Makro-Planar) and a Pentax-A 120 f4 645 that does 1:1.
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Muse View Post
    Do get the Fotodiox Pro for manual focus adapter. It is lighter and less expensive than the metabones adapter. I have the 45 and 90 Zeiss G lenses, both superb, but not macro at all. I wonder how the 90 would do with an extension tube? I don't think there are floating elements in it. But for macro I have the Zeiss 100 and 50 f2.0 Makro-Planar ZF.2 (really love the 50 Makro-Planar) and a Pentax-A 120 f4 645 that does 1:1.
    My experience with extension tubes wasn't so good : first they are more effective on short lenses than on longer ones, so the 45mm would be a better candidate. Then they are rather tricky to focus, unless you have a geared tripod or a rail (which I don't). I had a pair for MFT and the best candidate was the Panasonic 20mm F1.7 or the Panasonic 25mm F1.4. But for the A7r, I'm perfectly happy with the Tamron 90mm F2.8 when it comes to macro. Curiously, when digitalizing my slides, I got better results with the Canon 6D plus 90mm Tamron, than with the A7r plus the same lens. I think that my slides weren't so sharp and the added resolution wasn't bringing anything to those slides, while my sharpening technique with the A7r could have been better. My slides are often very contrasty and I thought that the better DR of the A7r would help.

I will get a photodiox or a Kipon, I have had good experiences with Kipon adapters on MFT.

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The 90MM macro is in stock right now at Amazon 13 left. It certainly is tempting but I think I will get the 85 Batis
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Actually in stock at B&H which can save some folks sales tax. ME

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search...rch=yes&sts=pi
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like

Guy

I really think the BATIS is more your style. I do little or no portrait photography and I have always had a macro lens with my system because... shucks... I like taking photographs of pretty flowers and bugs.

Looking at the BATIS samples I'm tempted to have both but I think you would find that working all day long with the FE 90 your arm would drop off, whereas you might just get away with the BATIS.

Just my two cents.

LouisB

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yea have to agree. I need the speed too both in lens and AF. This is a perfect model lens

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,

I am also considering either the Batis 85 and the Macro 90. I have seen very good reports on both, so it is no easy choice. I have a Minolta 100/2.8 Macro and I guess it will do for a while. I am shooting on tripod mostly, so weight is not really an issue for me.

I have that Batis on order, but I can easily change.

Best regards
    Erik

Post Thanks / Like

Erik

I'll state again that if you need a short telephoto for portraiture you should go for the Batis 85/1.8, imho.

If, like me you like macro photography and as a by product your lens would do nice portraits, then you will be happy with the FE 90/2.8. I can't fault its sharpness wide open at f2.8. It is excellent. But you can only get a strong separation of background by being closer to your subject.

Incidentally, if anyone asks me to do a portrait of them, I just use my FE 55/1.8 but that is another matter altogether.

In an ideal world you would own both but you would also need deep pockets.

I might get a Batis 85/1.8 at some point but I have been waiting for months (in fact is it a year?) for a proper macro lens for the Sony system so you can see my relative priorities.

LouisB.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by biglouis View Post
    Erik

I'll state again that if you need a short telephoto for portraiture you should go for the Batis 85/1.8, imho.

If, like me you like macro photography and as a by product your lens would do nice portraits, then you will be happy with the FE 90/2.8. I can't fault its sharpness wide open at f2.8. It is excellent. But you can only get a strong separation of background by being closer to your subject.

Incidentally, if anyone asks me to do a portrait of them, I just use my FE 55/1.8 but that is another matter altogether.

In an ideal world you would own both but you would also need deep pockets.

I might get a Batis 85/1.8 at some point but I have been waiting for months (in fact is it a year?) for a proper macro lens for the Sony system so you can see my relative priorities.

LouisB.
    I have just ordered the 90 macro and should get it on Friday.
    What are you using for lighting?
    I have a nice macro flash kit I use on my Nikons.

Take care,
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Bill

I need to sort something out. I did have a Sigma ring-flash but I sold it. I'll have to do some research.

LouisB

Post Thanks / Like

LoiusB,
    For me the auto focus hunting is not a problem because I find the same thing when I am manually focusing. It is a challenge with macro. The fact that once focus is detected it locks on making it very easy and functional. It is likely from what I've read about the A7RII focus system that it will be even better. Probably still with hunting I'll bet.
    pttdds
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I thought I would put some samples in this thread of macro photography. If the admins want to move it to the 'fun with A7 thread' then fine. However, I do think the lens needs some photographs to qualify any discussion.

The more I use the lens the more I realise what a damn fine piece of kit it is. Sure, it is heavy but I have now understood the various feature a lot more. The focus limiter and the OSS are excellent and make hand held macro photography worthwhile.

I have mainly been using my A7S with the lens because hand held I can jack the iso up to 3200 and stop the lens down to f22 and get high speeds and good results. Once again the A7S proves why it is the high iso king.

I've done very little to these photos other than crop them in Lightroom and export them as jpeg.

I'm not saying any of these images are anything special but this is a lens which I feel will reward me over time the more I get used to it and once I settle down and (a) use a tripod which I really should do, and (b) invest in a flash of some kind. In the meantime... some bug piccies.

Last edited by biglouis; 3rd July 2015 at 14:29.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Louis,

Thanks for advice! I don't shoot portraits, but around 85 mm is a weak spot in my system. Present plan is to use my Minolta 100/2.8 macro for close up work.

Recently I bought a Cononmark B4 portable flash. I use it with a small umbrella.

Best regards
    Erik

Post Thanks / Like

The 90mm G can do portraits, but the 85mm Batis can't do macro or close-ups (right away). I'm also not a big fan of shooting portraits wide open, I'm fine with f/2.8. Therefore my choice is obvious, though I'll shoot much more portraits than macros with it. I'll wait for a 135/2 Batis as a long portrait-only lens.
    -- My website
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Paid a visit to a camera shop in San Francisco. I like it.
    Testing handheld with flash @ f11, iso-200, 1/30s
    Larger View half size 3000x2000

100% crop

@ f22
    Larger View half size
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I have a number of other macro options including F mount's 60, 105 150 and EF mounts 100. However this 90 sure the MACRO lens of choice for E mount because of its sharpness and presumably better AF on e mount camera

Post Thanks / Like

I actually already have an old Sigma 105mm macro without HSM in A-mount. This FE is definitely sharper, quieter, quicker and easier to work with.
    It's even quicker if "wide focus" AF was selected rather than spot for off center situations.
    BTW, I paid $1000 cash out the door which translated to $915.33 + 9.25% sales tax.

Post Thanks / Like

The more I use this lens, the more I like it. Need to get a good flash, though. Both shot with A7S and apart from from cropping/resizing to jpeg in LR straight out of the camera.

-----
    My new book "Whitechapel in 50 BUildings", Flikr Stream, www.louisberk.com

Post Thanks / Like

Couldn't find a nice looking bee but this "Harrier Jet" does look good...me think.
    Full size crop @ f11

Full size crop @ f14
    Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I think I´ll just slap a raynox dcr-250 on the Batis 85mm 1.8...problem solved

Post Thanks / Like

This guy must have had quite a battle.

Full Crop View @ f16

Full Size View @ f22