The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

FE 90mm f/2.8 Macro G OSS lens

biglouis

Bill

I need to sort something out. I did have a Sigma ring-flash but I sold it. I'll have to do some research.

LouisB

pttdds

LoiusB,
For me the auto focus hunting is not a problem because I find the same thing when I am manually focusing. It is a challenge with macro. The fact that once focus is detected it locks on making it very easy and functional. It is likely from what I've read about the A7RII focus system that it will be even better. Probably still with hunting I'll bet.
pttdds

biglouis

I thought I would put some samples in this thread of macro photography. If the admins want to move it to the 'fun with A7 thread' then fine. However, I do think the lens needs some photographs to qualify any discussion.

The more I use the lens the more I realise what a damn fine piece of kit it is. Sure, it is heavy but I have now understood the various feature a lot more. The focus limiter and the OSS are excellent and make hand held macro photography worthwhile.

I have mainly been using my A7S with the lens because hand held I can jack the iso up to 3200 and stop the lens down to f22 and get high speeds and good results. Once again the A7S proves why it is the high iso king.

I've done very little to these photos other than crop them in Lightroom and export them as jpeg.

I'm not saying any of these images are anything special but this is a lens which I feel will reward me over time the more I get used to it and once I settle down and (a) use a tripod which I really should do, and (b) invest in a flash of some kind. In the meantime... some bug piccies.

Last edited:

ErikKaffehr

Hi Louis,

Thanks for advice! I don't shoot portraits, but around 85 mm is a weak spot in my system. Present plan is to use my Minolta 100/2.8 macro for close up work.

Recently I bought a Cononmark B4 portable flash. I use it with a small umbrella.

Best regards
Erik

joe_leads

The 90mm G can do portraits, but the 85mm Batis can't do macro or close-ups (right away). I'm also not a big fan of shooting portraits wide open, I'm fine with f/2.8. Therefore my choice is obvious, though I'll shoot much more portraits than macros with it. I'll wait for a 135/2 Batis as a long portrait-only lens.

Mark K

I have a number of other macro options including F mount's 60, 105 150 and EF mounts 100. However this 90 sure the MACRO lens of choice for E mount because of its sharpness and presumably better AF on e mount camera

SamSS

I actually already have an old Sigma 105mm macro without HSM in A-mount. This FE is definitely sharper, quieter, quicker and easier to work with.
It's even quicker if "wide focus" AF was selected rather than spot for off center situations.
BTW, I paid $1000 cash out the door which translated to $915.33 + 9.25% sales tax.

biglouis

The more I use this lens, the more I like it. Need to get a good flash, though. Both shot with A7S and apart from from cropping/resizing to jpeg in LR straight out of the camera.