The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony travel the world kit

iiiNelson

Ironically I do this traveling bit often and have a lot of experience doing this very thing. So far my A7/A7R have ventured with me on 3 continents so far. If I were to choose today I'd probably go with a 16-35/4, 55, and 70-200 or 70-400 depending on the location. I'd probably bring the Sigma Art 35 (and maybe the 135ZA) as well if I were taking my LA-E4. Any of the bodies would work. For a tripod I'd go with my 3LT Brian Evo. I have more bags than I care to admit.

If you're going to print then I'd say go with the A7R or A7II. Battery grips on the bodies are a must for me.

jsf

Fuji XT1 +14mm, 27mm, 55-200mm and the 140-300mm if/when it comes out. Plus fuji flash, Novoflex Nikon adaptor and the old 50mm f/1.4. All of this in a small Lowe sling pack plus a little fanny pack for just the camera and three lenses when I want to go really light. Tripod Induro with the Induro ball head and a Panosauras. Of course saying that I am doing just the opposite when I go to Scotland this spring. Nikon d800e plus four lenses, small flash and tripod. I know I will want bigger than 16x20 for this trip and the Fuji after 16x20 just isn't the Nikon.

i do realize this was supposed to be for fun with the Sony. I just didn't like the way it felt in my hands and opted for the Fuji instead. But since this was for fun I hope to be forgiven.

Last edited:

mbroomfield

For a round the world trip I'd want to come back with the very best images I could and be able to blow them as large as I want. So without having to resort to MF I'd go with;

A set of tilt/shift lenses and an A7r (and backup A7r) to start
17/24 tse and 35mm FD t/s
60mm Elmarit
90mm F2 OM
135mm F4 Tele/Elmar
Gitzo Explorer
Maybe a Sony rx1r for some handheld discrete stuff
Bag would be either an F-Stop Tilopa or Think Tank Rotation 180

Last edited:

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Fuji XT1 +14mm, 27mm, 55-200mm and the 140-300mm if/when it comes out. Plus fuji flash, Novoflex Nikon adaptor and the old 50mm f/1.4. All of this in a small Lowe sling pack plus a little fanny pack for just the camera and three lenses when I want to go really light. Tripod Induro with the Induro ball head and a Panosauras. Of course saying that I am doing just the opposite when I go to Scotland this spring. Nikon d800e plus four lenses, small flash and tripod. I know I will want bigger than 16x20 for this trip and the Fuji after 16x20 just isn't the Nikon.

i do realize this was supposed to be for fun with the Sony. I just didn't like the way it felt in my hands and opted for the Fuji instead. But since this was for fun I hope to be forgiven.
Well this is a stretch but what the heck. LOL

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I'm the world's worst small outfit traveler so bear with me (actually, that's not quite true ... there's a buddy of mine who is WAY worse):

A7II / A7S / A7r
16-35
24-70
70-200
35/2.8 on A7s
55/1.8 on A7II
Metabones IV and Canon 17/24/45 TS-E
RRS 24L & Arca D4 head and also pack Feisol CT-3441T/Acratech for backup and lightweight walk about needs.
F-Stop Loka and Thinktank shoulder bag.

Also RX1r just because I always take it with me and it fits in a crumpler insert in my laptop bag.

If I had to trim the outfit then the A7r, 35/2.8 & 24-70 could stay at home. if I could only take one set, A7II and the zoom trio and A7s for backup/night.

soboyle

A7r and the 24-70 would cover 90% of my needs. Put that in a think tank hubba hubba hiney and Bob's your uncle. If only the 24-70 was a better lens. Since it's not then I would add the 16-35 and 35 2.8, both of which I'm liking a lot. Add a tabletop or compact travel tripod like TLT. I'd be tempted to take my Fuji X-E2 and the 50-230 lens for a long lens. But I also like the idea of taking an A6000 for backup. Also like the think tank turnstyle sling bags, very handy.

Don Libby

I'll play...

If it has to be a Sony then my A7r converted to full spectrum with a copy IR filters. No tripod so that allows me extra lenses. FE16-35, FE24-70 and my Mitakon 50mm f/0.95. I might also consider a monopod. Everything fits in a Ser Bag.

When are we leaving?

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Sony Xperia M2 Dual. Just bought it in Yangon, since my Nokia can only take one SIM card and I need three when I travel. I do carry a little black bag with a backup camera as well though. Can't remember the name of that one right now :D

Oh... and I've left already. Myanmar and Australia this week. Next week? Who knows?

Last edited:

mmbma

What makes great travel photos? street, people, and landscape shots, of course.

A99, wide angle zoom, and 70-200 2.8. gitzo reporter tripod, and any black weather proof bag

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
I would include my A7s and A6000 full spectrum bodies. The lenses that I would take would be VC Ultron 21 f/1.8, Mitakon 50 f/0.95, and Leica R 90 f/2. I would also bring lots of batteries and SD cards, charger, blower, IR filters in a case, and my travel tripod. This is all gear that I own, and am happy with. It all fits in my Courierware bag.

Guy Mancuso

A7r and the 24-70 would cover 90% of my needs. Put that in a think tank hubba hubba hiney and Bob's your uncle. If only the 24-70 was a better lens. Since it's not then I would add the 16-35 and 35 2.8, both of which I'm liking a lot. Add a tabletop or compact travel tripod like TLT. I'd be tempted to take my Fuji X-E2 and the 50-230 lens for a long lens. But I also like the idea of taking an A6000 for backup. Also like the think tank turnstyle sling bags, very handy.
Love the TT turnstyle bags. I have the 10 and the 20

Fun and interesting thread folks.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I won't get into what camera I use for travel, since that's highly off topic on this thread, other than saying that I carry 20/28/50/105mm primes for the time being, mostly manual focus and of which one has close focusing capabilities. I also carry a 1.4x TC for the longest lens.

However, since I do travel a lot (5 weeks to assorted locations so far this year, and I don't know when I'll return home), the bag I use might be of interest. I bought the bag, a Lowepro Inverse 200 AW, by coincidence many years ago. The price is slightly more than $50 at the moment, so it's very cheap. I have no idea on how many journeys it's been travelling, but we are talking about 100+, on planes, buses, trains, boats, motorbikes, tractors etc. It's also been with me at well over 100 car races and other sports events and countless other occasions. It's pretty much been with me anywhere, every day the last few years, and it's been rolling down staircases, fallen off vehicles, been used as pillow etc.

For functionality, it features:
- Can be used as a shoulder bag, belt pack or handbag.
- Rooms one camera body and up to five lenses (one on the body) or two bodies and three lenses. Small lenses can be stacked, making room for more.
- Can take a 70-200mm f/4 or consumer grade 70-300mm standing.
- It has a flat top, which doubles as a desk when worn as a belt pack. Great when filling in immigration forms etc.
- Is compact enough to be carried inside a larger carry-on bag for air travel, leaving enough spare room for a weekend's worth of clothing.
- Has two external bottle holders and outside pocket for batteries etc. (I mostly carry my spare battery inside the bag though.
- Holders for two memory cards inside the lid (I travel with two cards in the camera and two spares in those pockets).
- Straps for a small tripod or Gorillapod underneath.

With a compact camera body, like the A7, it should be possible to modify the interior to room a tablet computer, but I haven't tried that. Be aware that the lenses I use are relatively compact (Nikkor AiS), and that contemporary AF lenses may reduce the number of lenses that can be carried.

Inverse 200 AW Camera bags, backpacks and rolling cases

There is also an Inverse 100 AW available, which might be large enough for an A7, but due to the smaller size it will also take fewer lenses.

Edit: When m4/3 was my main camera system, I often carried this bag with three camera bodies (GH1/2/3), one lens on each. That would probably be possible with A7 bodies as well.

darrellc

Just got back from a ten day trip. I took:

A7ii
A7s
FE 16-35
FE 35/2.8
FE 55/1.8
Loxia 35/2

M4/3 for tele, backup and small camera for casual stuff
GM5
15/1.7
45/1.8
35-100/4-5.6 (the tiny one)

I could travel the world with A7s/a7ii, FE 16-35, FE 35/1.4, FE 55 and FE 85(?).

Or with Loxia 21, 35, 85 (if the make 21/85) and the FE 35 or FE 55 for AF

Guy Mancuso

How is the Loxia 35mm. Maybe better said is it far better than the 16-35 at 35mm. I'm down to 2 choices maybe 3 on a 35 lens. I want speed F2 will work, or I'm going with the new 1.4

darrellc

Loxia 35 impression after a couple hundred casual shots - gorgeous color, great MF experience on A7 bodies, like click less aperture as I do video, not so perfect wide open, improves stopped down a stop or two. It is no RX1 Sonnar wide open but lovely to my eye at f/4.

I like it much more than the FE for what I shoot (less clinical, more organic, better color).

Color rendition and MF experience and integration with Sony bodies are high point for me.

I will get the FE 35/1.4 and will see what stays and what goes then.

Loxia much better than the FE 16-35 at 35mm. The zoom has been a disappointment there, but stellar below that.

Guy Mancuso

Loxia 35 impression after a couple hundred casual shots - gorgeous color, great MF experience on A7 bodies, like click less aperture as I do video, not so perfect wide open, improves stopped down a stop or two. It is no RX1 Sonnar wide open but lovely to my eye at f/4.

I like it much more than the FE for what I shoot (less clinical, more organic, better color).

Color rendition and MF experience and integration with Sony bodies are high point for me.

I will get the FE 35/1.4 and will see what stays and what goes then.

Loxia much better than the FE 16-35 at 35mm. The zoom has been a disappointment there, but stellar below that.

Thanks that's good info and agree the zoom at the long end is good but below 35 is stellar, why I want a 35 prime. Have to see what's announced next week on the 1.4. Very little info on both lenses right now on how they perform but yes I want a more organic looking lens.