The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony travel the world kit

Viramati

So I'm off to Palermo for a few days and have at least decided on the lenses I will take FE55, FE16-35 and the leica elmarit-M 90 but which body A7II or A7s. I keep changing my mind but am now leaning toward the A7s as it lighter, I like the silent mode for street and it can take in any lighting situation. Am I mad?

Last edited:

engel001

I am with Viramati on this.

I know some are wishing for a more substantial camera from Sony. But please, Sony, keep the A7 series small, it is a major attraction to the system in the first place. If you are going to use gloves or need a larger camera for your big hands, get a grip. Perhaps a third party could design an accessory grip with larger buttons for your specialized needs, but we want the base camera to stay small. The same goes for a potential A9 camera, give us add-on's to improve the ergonomics for photographers with larger hands, gloves, and specialized needs.

And please give us more smaller lenses!

Viramati

Take both if you can. You can have the 16-35 on one body and the 55 or 90 on the other.
I know, I know but I'm trying to keep it simple and everything in a Billingham Hadley small bag rather than my usual Hadley pro as I used to travel with one or two Leica M bodies and a 28 and 50 mm lens and loved the simplicity of it. I will though be carrying the wonderful RX100III as well which will probably get the most use as I am with my wife who will get on my case if I concentrate to much on the photography!!

iiiNelson

Definitely understand that and definitely understand wanting to go without much gear. My thinking comes mostly from if/when you happen to stumble on that future print 24 megapixels is going to give you a bit more leverage over 12 to crop should you need to since you aren't taking a very long lens with you. On the other hand at night the A7s will definitely be king when it comes to getting shots with lower noise and being able to AF in dark/near dark circumstances. Hence my "take both" call for these big trips.

Call it personal experience from leaving some shots (didn't have the right lens with me or just didn't bring all the right gear with me) in a foreign land... and my brain.

V

Vivek

I am with Viramati on this.

I know some are wishing for a more substantial camera from Sony. But please, Sony, keep the A7 series small, it is a major attraction to the system in the first place. If you are going to use gloves or need a larger camera for your big hands, get a grip. Perhaps a third party could design an accessory grip with larger buttons for your specialized needs, but we want the base camera to stay small. The same goes for a potential A9 camera, give us add-on's to improve the ergonomics for photographers with larger hands, gloves, and specialized needs.

And please give us more smaller lenses!
Going bigger for Sony = End of me being a Sony user.

They can stick it where their sensors will not get any light. :ROTFL:

iiiNelson

I think there's room for smaller FF FE body (A7) and a more robust FE body (A9.) Robust doesn't have to mean that it will suddenly become ungainly or even as large as a pro DSLR. It can be better build quality, better weather sealing, dual card slots, sturdier slot doors, or more ergonomically friendly for those with larger hands such as what they did with the A7II.

V

Vivek

Those will be discounted from being part of a travel kit for sure. :)

Viramati

Definitely understand that and definitely understand wanting to go without much gear. My thinking comes mostly from if/when you happen to stumble on that future print 24 megapixels is going to give you a bit more leverage over 12 to crop should you need to since you aren't taking a very long lens with you. On the other hand at night the A7s will definitely be king when it comes to getting shots with lower noise and being able to AF in dark/near dark circumstances. Hence my "take both" call for these big trips.

Call it personal experience from leaving some shots (didn't have the right lens with me or just didn't bring all the right gear with me) in a foreign land... and my brain.
As I rarely shoot longer than 50mm I might just consider r the 2 body 2 lens solution as the will both just squezze into the bag along with the iPad and RX100

iiiNelson

Those will be discounted from being part of a travel kit for sure. :)
Speak for yourself. My A7 and A7R have been all around the world with me on trips 2-3 months at a time with vertical grips pretty much welded to them. :D

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I'm off to Italy and Croatia in a couple of months for two weeks and I'm probably taking the A7II and A7s (although if the A7rII is around maybe that & A7s). Love the resolution of the A7r but the low light A7s and uber flexible 24mp of the A7II really win out for me.

V

Vivek

Speak for yourself. My A7 and A7R have been all around the world with me on trips 2-3 months at a time with vertical grips pretty much welded to them. :D
Yes, of course, I was speaking for myself (all my posts and "likes" indicate that unlike some others ;) ). 2 camera (+ a smaller one) had been around the world with me as well. What I was talking about is the tendency of Sony for going heavier and bulkier (as from A7 to A7 II) and the projected, speculated heft of the A9.

BTW, I do not own the A7 II and I notice that you do not either. :)

If we do have our f2 compact/lightweight primes (because the market as the whole demands it and not because a few here are for or against it), we can all appreciate a well rounded light weight kit.

iiiNelson

BTW, I do not own the A7 II and I notice that you do not either. :)
No I don't but I can tell you 100% that the reason I don't own a A7II has nothing to do with size and everything to do with the fact I'm being patient for what MAY be around the corner. At the very least I will buy the A7RII to replace the A7R that was modded. At most I will trade in my A7 towards two of whatever "Pro" bodies Sony release and only hold onto the A7R-FS of my current bodies should the rumored pro bodies be true and offer significant improvements for my own desires.

As for small size I have never denied that they should make them for those that want them. I legitimately hope they do continue to offer choice (S/M/L) in all focal lengths like they do in 35mm.

What I am VERY against (I would go so far to say I am very very adamant about this) is that SOME (not you specifically Vivek) telling me or others what I/we should want, what should work for me/us, and what I/we don't need because THEY don't want it or see the benefit/purpose of having. Just goes to prove we all view the same camera differently for our own purposes... often beyond the manufacturer/engineer's initial designs.

There's never been a FF camera as flexible as this one. Some view it as a "poorer man's or woman's M." Some view it as a 35mm digital back to use any lens you can find/make an adapter for at the focal length it was intended to be used. Some view it was a flexible compact system camera. Some view it as an evolution of a view camera but in compact form. Some view it as an huge improvement to multispectral photography. Some view it as an improved astrophotographers camera.

Neither of these descriptions are wrong and these cameras can be all of those things.

V

Vivek

What is an M? :p

[It ain't poor man's whatever. One has to have some heavy padding to own these and use them. I know poor. I come from a very (economically) poor background.]

iiiNelson

What is an M? :p

[It ain't poor man's whatever. One has to have some heavy padding to own these and use them. I know poor. I come from a very (economically) poor background.]
Of course and that's why I said a poorer... Not poor.

ashwinrao1

A7s, with 35 and 50 loxia lenses, plus a canon 85 f/1.8 LTM for portraits and tele. maybe the WATE in my bag for occasional use....sorry, got to this discussion late

Viramati

I'm in palermo at the moment and in the end came with the A7II, A7s, 16-35, 55 & 35. During the day it is the A7II AND 16-35 and at night the A7s and 35 or 55. In the end the A7s & FE 35 are so small and light I just added them to the suitcase and I'm glad I did so

Last edited:

OliverM

I will be travelling in Myanmar in August with my Contax 645, sinar 54 lv back with some lenses (maybe stick to 55 and 120).
Will also take the A7r with the 55/1.8.

But I wonder if I should add a wide angle for the Sony : either the new small 28 or the very different Canon 24 TSE. I have used mainly Alpa SWA for wide and I fear too much distorsion and lack of movement.
But I have never used a TSE lens : is it convenient to use on a sony, can it work handheld (took many pictures handheld with the alpa) ? Thank you for sharing your views.