Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sony travel the world kit

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Smile Sony travel the world kit

Let's have some fun. Say you won a contest to travel the world all expenses paid for 3 months. The only catch is you come home with 50 outstanding travel images, so what kit would you take. Rules are you need at least 1 body, 1 lens and 1 bag, that's the minimum. Oh and 1 tripod. So pick all 4 general items plus plus. What tripod , what bag , what lenses and what cameras.

What's the best in your mind. Remember this is for fun
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Sony travel the world kit

Easy. After a few days in Paris, I know this.

The A7s plus the Olympus pen F 60/1.5 plus ~10 batteries, a few SD cards, towels, air blower. Everything in a Lowepro AW 16L.

NO tripods (charger and such, of course).

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I would take the A7r and the following lenses:

Zooms:
    new Zeiss 16-35
    Contax N 24-85
    Contax N 70-200

That could be enough but I will need some fast evening prime lenses:
    VC Ultron 21/1.8
    Contax Distagon 35/1.4
    Minolta Rokkor 58/1.2

And then my Sirui mini travel tripod all in my Lowepro sling bag and also a low profile
    smaller shoulder bag for dayly use. And don't forget the battery grip.

Post Thanks / Like

My Ricoh GR goes in a pocket. Thats 28mm taken care of.
    In a small over the shoulder Think Tank bag, I'd take my A7II with either the new 15mm VC MkIII OR a VC 20mm SL AND a Sony FE 55mm. Throw in copious amounts of SD cards as I would leave laptops and tablets home.

In place of the tripod I would take a camera bean bag to rest cameras on tables and rocks and one of those bottle cap tripod heads, which I'd probably never end up using.

IF I took a tripod I'd take one of those pano head kits that pack away.

As I go out the door I would chicken out and pop the Sigma DP2 Merrill in the bag as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yes think night shooting too folks.

I'm heading out to a job but I know one lens would certainly be in my bag the 16-35
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    My Ricoh GR goes in a pocket. Thats 28mm taken care of.
    In a small over the shoulder Think Tank bag, I'd take my A7II with the new 15mm VC MkIII OR a VC 20mm SL and a Sony FE 55mm. Throw in copious amounts of SD cards as I would leave laptops and tablets home.

In place of the tripod I would take a camera bean bag to rest cameras on tables and rocks and one of those bottle cap tripod heads, which I'd probably never end up using.

As I go out the door I would chicken out and pop the Sigma DP2 Merrill in the bag as well.

Novaflex has a cool table top that fits in your pocket. I'll get a link later

Post Thanks / Like

I really find these posts a great way of verbalising what I end up considering before leaving. I guess we all do, when you have more stuff than you can take!
    Last holiday I took the GR and DP2M only. And I never really missed having anything else. So it was 28mm/45mm pair. To a large degree it was dictated by the current mood.

I think I could also do it with the A7II with FE 55mm and a 28mm or maybe even a 24mm would be better.
    It seems to be for many mirrorless users about paring down weight vs will the kit cover 90% of your wants/needs.

I wonder if someone approaches what they take from a different way other than focal length?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Yes think night shooting too folks.
    No tripods for night shooting with the A7s.

Post Thanks / Like

Great. The forum is giving away a 3 months all-expenses paid trip around the world. Fantastic. I will take a A7r, an A7r modified to IR, 15 mm Zeiss, 17 Canon t/s that I bought from Guy, 100 mm Zeiss macro, and Pentax 85 mm Soft focus.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Heck if that was the case you be going with me. Lol

Post Thanks / Like

Let's have some fun. Say you won a contest to travel the world all expenses paid for 3 months. The only catch is you come home with 50 outstanding travel images, so what kit would you take. Rules are you need at least 1 body, 1 lens and 1 bag, that's the minimum. Oh and 1 tripod. So pick all 4 general items plus plus. What tripod , what bag , what lenses and what cameras.

So let's see. I'll bring the A7S and the A7R and the A7II. Each has its strength. Also the Sony A850 just for any action shots. For a-mount I'll take the 135/f1.8 and the 200/f4 macro. I'll want the LAEA3 and LAEA4. For e-mount I'll take the 35/f2.8, 55/F1.8, the upcoming 35/F1.4 and 28/F2, and the 16-35, 24-70 and 70-200 zooms and both of the Loxia primes. I'll say the Mitakon 50/f0.95 and the CV 12mm/f5.6. I'll take a big bag for everything and a smaller sling for day trips. I'll pack a big tripod and head for landscape stuff but I'll also take a trigger collapsible monopod with a trigger operated ball head for a lighter support system. And even though I lived the first 30 years of my life in NYC, if someone was going to pick up the tab, I'd spend two weeks of the trip in a luxury hotel off Central Park and stroll around Manhattan in the early summer. Between cityscapes and people there are about a thousand pictures I've always wished I had the time to take there but never have.

Regards,
    John

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Sony A7R with native 55mm and 35mm
    Metabones IV with Canon EOS 16-35mm/f4L (ultra wide angle I like to work slowly and the precision of the EVF is a great tool for manual focusing).
    Perhaps an additional high-performance prime such as Sigma Art 35mm for EOS (or Sony with LAEA3) and/or a favorite Zeiss ZE lens.

Second body: Sony A99 with Zeiss 85mm and Minolta 200mm/2.8.

Tripod: Benro C1182TB0 Travel Flat II.
    Manfrotto 709 Tabletop Tripod with Ballhead.

77mm Hoya Pro2 Polarizer
    Last edited by engel001; 26th February 2015 at 19:34.

Post Thanks / Like

Travel Set by Wisawa Freeman, on Flickr

_DSC0541 by Wisawa Freeman, on Flickr

A7, 16-35, 24-70, Loxia35 in Porter bag with Gitzo GT1544T and Acratech Ballhead.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Super Angulon View Post
    in Porter bag
    HI, I am curious which model bag IS that?

Post Thanks / Like

Love these games

IRL I would go Alpa TC + SK72L + Credo 60 and be happy, but since this is a Sony game I'll play....

A7r + Canon FDn 35/2 + FDn 85/1.2L + Gitzo 2 series + Novoflex mini magic ball
    Alpa FPS • MAX • TC | Alpagon 32Hr | Helvetar 75 | Schneider 120N | Leaf Aptus II 5 • Leaf Credo 60 | www.danlindberg.com

Post Thanks / Like

For me, A7II with 5 lenses FE55, C/Y 18 f4, 28 f2, 85 f2.8, 100 f2. A single Novoflex C/Y-Nex adapter, RRS L Plate, Gitzo 2531 & RRS 30BH. My daily carry bag would be a Black Billingham Hadley Pro.
    A7II, FE 35, 55 C/Y 18, 28, 85, 100, 28-85

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I would take the A7r or its replacement. Probably take a A7000 when it comes out. This gives me a backup and a small cam for like dinner or night time fun.

16-35, Zeiss loxia 35 mm or the new Zeiss 35 1.4 still need to get one of them. My Minolta 200 2.8 which I can always leave in a hotel room if need be to be light weight small for a day. The 85 1.4 and I would also take my Canon 24TSe with 1.4 extender which could be like the Minolta 200 and be left behind if need be. Mitikon 50 as well.

Travel pod I need to buy one and I do like my Think tank streetwalker for transport reasons and a think tank sling bag for daily. It also packs flat

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

A7II (or A7rII if available), 16-35 (even though I dont see the need for it at the moment) 24-70, 70200/4.0FE, 35Loxia, 55/1.8
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Highly Opinionated Opinion

After handling the A7s, to me the A7r and the A7 are absolute crap. It is a shame that Sony uses its customers as beta testers for its "alpha" products.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Paratom View Post
    A7II (or A7rII if available), 16-35 (even though I dont see the need for it at the moment) 24-70, 70200/4.0FE, 35Loxia, 55/1.8
    Tom I absolutely love the A7II it hits all the check marks I need except one more MPX. I wish Sony would just drop in the 36mpx sensor in it and call it a day.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Ironically I do this traveling bit often and have a lot of experience doing this very thing. So far my A7/A7R have ventured with me on 3 continents so far. If I were to choose today I'd probably go with a 16-35/4, 55, and 70-200 or 70-400 depending on the location. I'd probably bring the Sigma Art 35 (and maybe the 135ZA) as well if I were taking my LA-E4. Any of the bodies would work. For a tripod I'd go with my 3LT Brian Evo. I have more bags than I care to admit.

If you're going to print then I'd say go with the A7R or A7II. Battery grips on the bodies are a must for me.
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

Post Thanks / Like

Fuji XT1 +14mm, 27mm, 55-200mm and the 140-300mm if/when it comes out. Plus fuji flash, Novoflex Nikon adaptor and the old 50mm f/1.4. All of this in a small Lowe sling pack plus a little fanny pack for just the camera and three lenses when I want to go really light. Tripod Induro with the Induro ball head and a Panosauras. Of course saying that I am doing just the opposite when I go to Scotland this spring. Nikon d800e plus four lenses, small flash and tripod. I know I will want bigger than 16x20 for this trip and the Fuji after 16x20 just isn't the Nikon.

i do realize this was supposed to be for fun with the Sony. I just didn't like the way it felt in my hands and opted for the Fuji instead. But since this was for fun I hope to be forgiven.
    Last edited by jsf; 27th February 2015 at 10:06. Reason: Not a Sony

Post Thanks / Like

For a round the world trip I'd want to come back with the very best images I could and be able to blow them as large as I want. So without having to resort to MF I'd go with;

A set of tilt/shift lenses and an A7r (and backup A7r) to start
    17/24 tse and 35mm FD t/s
    60mm Elmarit
    90mm F2 OM
    135mm F4 Tele/Elmar
    Gitzo Explorer
    Maybe a Sony rx1r for some handheld discrete stuff
    Bag would be either an F-Stop Tilopa or Think Tank Rotation 180
    Last edited by mbroomfield; 27th February 2015 at 12:11. Reason: Add bag(s)
    Mike Broomfield
    www.pbase.com/mike_broomfield

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jsf View Post
    Fuji XT1 +14mm, 27mm, 55-200mm and the 140-300mm if/when it comes out. Plus fuji flash, Novoflex Nikon adaptor and the old 50mm f/1.4. All of this in a small Lowe sling pack plus a little fanny pack for just the camera and three lenses when I want to go really light. Tripod Induro with the Induro ball head and a Panosauras. Of course saying that I am doing just the opposite when I go to Scotland this spring. Nikon d800e plus four lenses, small flash and tripod. I know I will want bigger than 16x20 for this trip and the Fuji after 16x20 just isn't the Nikon.

i do realize this was supposed to be for fun with the Sony. I just didn't like the way it felt in my hands and opted for the Fuji instead. But since this was for fun I hope to be forgiven.
    Well this is a stretch but what the heck. LOL

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm the world's worst small outfit traveler so bear with me (actually, that's not quite true ... there's a buddy of mine who is WAY worse):

A7II / A7S / A7r
    16-35
    24-70
    70-200
    35/2.8 on A7s
    55/1.8 on A7II
    Metabones IV and Canon 17/24/45 TS-E
    RRS 24L & Arca D4 head and also pack Feisol CT-3441T/Acratech for backup and lightweight walk about needs.
    F-Stop Loka and Thinktank shoulder bag.

Also RX1r just because I always take it with me and it fits in a crumpler insert in my laptop bag.

If I had to trim the outfit then the A7r, 35/2.8 & 24-70 could stay at home. if I could only take one set, A7II and the zoom trio and A7s for backup/night.
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

As Oscar Wilde said, "my tastes are simple, I only like the best"

Post Thanks / Like

A7r and the 24-70 would cover 90% of my needs. Put that in a think tank hubba hubba hiney and Bob's your uncle. If only the 24-70 was a better lens. Since it's not then I would add the 16-35 and 35 2.8, both of which I'm liking a lot. Add a tabletop or compact travel tripod like TLT. I'd be tempted to take my Fuji X-E2 and the 50-230 lens for a long lens. But I also like the idea of taking an A6000 for backup. Also like the think tank turnstyle sling bags, very handy.
    Shaun O'Boyle
    new.oboylephoto.com

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

I'll play...

If it has to be a Sony then my A7r converted to full spectrum with a copy IR filters. No tripod so that allows me extra lenses. FE16-35, FE24-70 and my Mitakon 50mm f/0.95. I might also consider a monopod. Everything fits in a Ser Bag.

When are we leaving?
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Sony Xperia M2 Dual. Just bought it in Yangon, since my Nokia can only take one SIM card and I need three when I travel. I do carry a little black bag with a backup camera as well though. Can't remember the name of that one right now

Oh... and I've left already. Myanmar and Australia this week. Next week? Who knows?
    Last edited by Jorgen Udvang; 27th February 2015 at 13:03.

Post Thanks / Like

What makes great travel photos? street, people, and landscape shots, of course.

A99, wide angle zoom, and 70-200 2.8. gitzo reporter tripod, and any black weather proof bag

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I would include my A7s and A6000 full spectrum bodies. The lenses that I would take would be VC Ultron 21 f/1.8, Mitakon 50 f/0.95, and Leica R 90 f/2. I would also bring lots of batteries and SD cards, charger, blower, IR filters in a case, and my travel tripod. This is all gear that I own, and am happy with. It all fits in my Courierware bag.
    -Cindy
    www.cindyflood.com
    www.flickr.com/cindyflood

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by soboyle View Post
    A7r and the 24-70 would cover 90% of my needs. Put that in a think tank hubba hubba hiney and Bob's your uncle. If only the 24-70 was a better lens. Since it's not then I would add the 16-35 and 35 2.8, both of which I'm liking a lot. Add a tabletop or compact travel tripod like TLT. I'd be tempted to take my Fuji X-E2 and the 50-230 lens for a long lens. But I also like the idea of taking an A6000 for backup. Also like the think tank turnstyle sling bags, very handy.
    Love the TT turnstyle bags. I have the 10 and the 20

Fun and interesting thread folks.

Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

RX100 with 28-100 zoom and a small pocket.
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gandolfi View Post
    RX100 with 28-100 zoom and a small pocket.
    Yes...!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    HI, I am curious which model bag IS that?
    It's a famous Japanese brand name I bought at Tokyu Hand in Tokyo. The bag is 300g lighter than Think Tank retrospective 5 with more space.

吉田カバンホーγƒ*γƒšγƒΌγ‚Έ | YOSHIDA & CO., LTD..

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I won't get into what camera I use for travel, since that's highly off topic on this thread, other than saying that I carry 20/28/50/105mm primes for the time being, mostly manual focus and of which one has close focusing capabilities. I also carry a 1.4x TC for the longest lens.

However, since I do travel a lot (5 weeks to assorted locations so far this year, and I don't know when I'll return home), the bag I use might be of interest. I bought the bag, a Lowepro Inverse 200 AW, by coincidence many years ago. The price is slightly more than $50 at the moment, so it's very cheap. I have no idea on how many journeys it's been travelling, but we are talking about 100+, on planes, buses, trains, boats, motorbikes, tractors etc. It's also been with me at well over 100 car races and other sports events and countless other occasions. It's pretty much been with me anywhere, every day the last few years, and it's been rolling down staircases, fallen off vehicles, been used as pillow etc.

For functionality, it features:
    - Can be used as a shoulder bag, belt pack or handbag.
    - Rooms one camera body and up to five lenses (one on the body) or two bodies and three lenses. Small lenses can be stacked, making room for more.
    - Can take a 70-200mm f/4 or consumer grade 70-300mm standing.
    - It has a flat top, which doubles as a desk when worn as a belt pack. Great when filling in immigration forms etc.
    - Is compact enough to be carried inside a larger carry-on bag for air travel, leaving enough spare room for a weekend's worth of clothing.
    - Has two external bottle holders and outside pocket for batteries etc. (I mostly carry my spare battery inside the bag though.
    - Holders for two memory cards inside the lid (I travel with two cards in the camera and two spares in those pockets).
    - Straps for a small tripod or Gorillapod underneath.

With a compact camera body, like the A7, it should be possible to modify the interior to room a tablet computer, but I haven't tried that. Be aware that the lenses I use are relatively compact (Nikkor AiS), and that contemporary AF lenses may reduce the number of lenses that can be carried.

Inverse 200 AW Camera bags, backpacks and rolling cases

There is also an Inverse 100 AW available, which might be large enough for an A7, but due to the smaller size it will also take fewer lenses.

Edit: When m4/3 was my main camera system, I often carried this bag with three camera bodies (GH1/2/3), one lens on each. That would probably be possible with A7 bodies as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Just got back from a ten day trip. I took:

A7ii
    A7s
    FE 16-35
    FE 35/2.8
    FE 55/1.8
    Loxia 35/2

M4/3 for tele, backup and small camera for casual stuff
    GM5
    15/1.7
    45/1.8
    35-100/4-5.6 (the tiny one)

I could travel the world with A7s/a7ii, FE 16-35, FE 35/1.4, FE 55 and FE 85(?).

Or with Loxia 21, 35, 85 (if the make 21/85) and the FE 35 or FE 55 for AF

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

How is the Loxia 35mm. Maybe better said is it far better than the 16-35 at 35mm. I'm down to 2 choices maybe 3 on a 35 lens. I want speed F2 will work, or I'm going with the new 1.4

Post Thanks / Like

Loxia 35 impression after a couple hundred casual shots - gorgeous color, great MF experience on A7 bodies, like click less aperture as I do video, not so perfect wide open, improves stopped down a stop or two. It is no RX1 Sonnar wide open but lovely to my eye at f/4.

I like it much more than the FE for what I shoot (less clinical, more organic, better color).

Color rendition and MF experience and integration with Sony bodies are high point for me.

I will get the FE 35/1.4 and will see what stays and what goes then.

Loxia much better than the FE 16-35 at 35mm. The zoom has been a disappointment there, but stellar below that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Easy one. Leica M240 with 50 APO and 21 Super Elmarit in Artist & Artisan bag.
    Brad Husick

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by darrellc View Post
    Loxia 35 impression after a couple hundred casual shots - gorgeous color, great MF experience on A7 bodies, like click less aperture as I do video, not so perfect wide open, improves stopped down a stop or two. It is no RX1 Sonnar wide open but lovely to my eye at f/4.

I like it much more than the FE for what I shoot (less clinical, more organic, better color).

Color rendition and MF experience and integration with Sony bodies are high point for me.

I will get the FE 35/1.4 and will see what stays and what goes then.

Loxia much better than the FE 16-35 at 35mm. The zoom has been a disappointment there, but stellar below that.

Thanks that's good info and agree the zoom at the long end is good but below 35 is stellar, why I want a 35 prime. Have to see what's announced next week on the 1.4. Very little info on both lenses right now on how they perform but yes I want a more organic looking lens.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks that's good info and agree the zoom at the long end is good but below 35 is stellar, why I want a 35 prime. Have to see what's announced next week on the 1.4. Very little info on both lenses right now on how they perform but yes I want a more organic looking lens.
    I have a feeling the 35 Distagon will be great. I could be wrong but I think it may be the no nonsense sense that doesn't have to compromise between size, speed, and IQ.

If it's good enough I may sell my Sigma Art for it (mostly for expanded AF points when needed) although I do love it to be honest. I've also thought about just adding the Loxia for a lighter MF option because I prefer MF most of the time on these cameras for candid shots and critical focus.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yes you have my Sigma Art 35 and I loved it but I'm still in a lot of debate on the 35 as for me its my most favorite general focal length. I know a couple things right now the 16-35, Minolta 200mm are my serious keepers. The Mitikon and the ZA 85 1.4 are my second tier favorites. The canon 24TSE as well but I have this hole at fast 35mm prime I want to fill

My other biggest issue is the PR lens 24-70 and until something is better than the current one I have shot the last three gigs this week in crop mode with the 16-35. The files are big enough and it focuses far better in low light than the 24-70. It's called cheat when you have too. Lol

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by bradhusick View Post
    Easy one. Leica M240 with 50 APO and 21 Super Elmarit in Artist & Artisan bag.
    This kit comes with the advantage that if, on your travels, you find some place you like well enough to settle down, you can sell it and buy a house!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Or worse get ripped off in the streets. Every thief knows bag value. Lol

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes you have my Sigma Art 35 and I loved it but I'm still in a lot of debate on the 35 as for me its my most favorite general focal length. I know a couple things right now the 16-35, Minolta 200mm are my serious keepers. The Mitikon and the ZA 85 1.4 are my second tier favorites. The canon 24TSE as well but I have this hole at fast 35mm prime I want to fill

My other biggest issue is the PR lens 24-70 and until something is better than the current one I have shot the last three gigs this week in crop mode with the 16-35. The files are big enough and it focuses far better in low light than the 24-70. It's called cheat when you have too. Lol
    Would the Sigma Art 18-35/1.8 be a better cheat lens in crop mode?

Yeah I'm debating on the prospect of the new 35 Distagon or just picking up the Loxia 35. I'm still looking for that "true" 35 Cron replacement for what was probably a toss up for my most used lens with the ZM50 on the M9. Optically the Sigma Art matches/exceeds it. The 35FE didn't let enough light in or have enough character for me although it's technically a very good lens as well. Ultimately I liked it but didn't love it so it needed to go.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by MGrayson View Post
    OK, Matt, where are the pictures? That's the problem with equipment. You have to actually use it, dammit. Pictures, soon. I promise.
    I hope one of these days you will get to a stage where you would realize that the time wasted on looking for, testing and evaluating gear is quite boring than the real thing (photos). It is a very personal thing.

BTW, why delete posts a minute after posting? The most important thing about photography is confidence.

Everythng else is secondary.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Or worse get ripped off in the streets. Every thief knows bag value. Lol
    Unless it is a Hermes one is quite safe on the streets.

Subscriber and Workshop Member MGrayson's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    I hope one of these days you will get to a stage where you would realize that the time wasted on looking for, testing and evaluating gear is quite boring than the real thing (photos). It is a very personal thing.

BTW, why delete posts a minute after posting? The most important thing about photography is confidence.

Everythng else is secondary.
    Right on both counts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by HiredArm View Post
    Would the Sigma Art 18-35/1.8 be a better cheat lens in crop mode?

Yeah I'm debating on the prospect of the new 35 Distagon or just picking up the Loxia 35. I'm still looking for that "true" 35 Cron replacement for what was probably a toss up for my most used lens with the ZM50 on the M9. Optically the Sigma Art matches/exceeds it. The 35FE didn't let enough light in or have enough character for me although it's technically a very good lens as well. Ultimately I liked it but didn't love it so it needed to go.
    Well no because it already cropped and can't get past 35. Great lens though but it won't give me the 24-70 . I don't think you can throw it in crop mode.

Post Thanks / Like

Ricoh GR Digital: Sharp 28mm equivalent lens, APS-C sensor and wonderful snapshot-mode focusing, what's not to like? Okay not my favorite focal length, nor my most heavily-used camera, but I seem to get an exceptional percentage of "keepers" with it and my gripes are quickly forgotten as I peruse it's output. Good combo of stealth, speed and pure image quality. I also like Sony's RX100, but will give the nod to the GR. GR is also my top choice for food pics.

Although I own and enjoy using Sony's A7, I think I'd leave it home in favor of an A6000 or NEX7, SELP1650 and SEL35F28Z. Power zoom has copious amounts of barrel distortion, CA and coma, but it's also very very handy. The 35 mm prime meanwhile really makes the most of all those pixels.

Tripod: Vanguard Alta 225CT carbon fiber / magnesium + Joby Ballhead X

But simply being there with a camera is more important!