The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Zeiss Loxia 35/2 Biogon T* lens for Sony E Mount

Annna T

It's either this or the new 35 1.4 . Nice write up
SonyAlpharumors has just posted the full specifications of the 35mm F1.4 : it will weight 630 gr. aka more than both the 24-70mm F4 (426 gr) and the 16-35mm F4 (518 gr).

Link to the specs

PS : not sure how a thumb down icon appeared in the subject line.. it isn't addressed to anyone, not my fact and I don't know how to erase it..

Last edited:
V

Vivek

Last edited:

jfirneno

I recently acquired this lens - possibly one of the first in the UK and I have put down my thoughts in a review at may website.

LouisBerk.com - Zeiss Loxia 35/2 Review

I hope this of use to others interested in the lens.

LouisB
Louis:
Thanks for the link. I enjoyed your review. It sounds like an excellent lens. And even where you include a brick wall test shot at least there's something on the brick wall to make it enjoyable! I have one question for you about the ergonomics of the Loxia 35mm. I rented the Loxia 50mm and found it to be an excellent lens. But the one peculiarity of its operation was trying to mount and unmount it from the camera. With most of the surface of the barrel being taken up by either the rotating focus or apeture rings there was almost no stationary area of the body to grip while twisting. Now granted the A7S has a very tight fit but even if that weren't the case, between the rubber o-ring and the lack of stationary area on the barrel it would still be tricky. My question is does the Loxia 35mm have the same situation from your point of view.

Regards,
John

biglouis

Now granted the A7S has a very tight fit but even if that weren't the case, between the rubber o-ring and the lack of stationary area on the barrel it would still be tricky. My question is does the Loxia 35mm have the same situation from your point of view.

Regards,
John
Thanks for all the responses.

John, I can't say I find it as exaggerated as you have on the Loxia 50/2. I can feel as though the aperture ring is moving but it is minute or only appears to do so as you remove the lens. I've tested it on both the A7r and A7s. Best thing is to try it yourself if you can.

LouisB

uhoh7

Hi Louis,

It would be really nice to see some uncropped infinity landscape shots at various apertures, with distant details in the edges and at least one corner. :)

biglouis

Hi Louis,

It would be really nice to see some uncropped infinity landscape shots at various apertures, with distant details in the edges and at least one corner. :)
Thanks, I'll certainly post anything I take which conforms to that requirement.

LouisB

Annna T

I am in agreement with you but isn't this a wrong thread to post that? (Annnna: Go to edit, advanced and delete.)

Louis, I look forward to your images from this lens. Thanks for the post! :)
Thanks for the tip.

As for the weight of other 35mm lenses, I think it makes sense to compare. Plus the remark was aimed at Guy who brought the 35mm F1.4. I have now found the weight of the other 35mm available :

1) 35mm F2.8 -> 180gr. (Sony Zeiss)
2) 35mm F2 -> 340 gr. (Loxia)
3) 35mm F1.4 -> 630 gr.

So in order to get one stop and AF you get almost twice the weight. If the Loxia had AF, I'd say "advantage to the Loxia"

BTW : Louis, thanks for a nice review. I appreciated that you put it in real life conditions.

iiiNelson

Thanks for the tip. As for the weight of other 35mm lenses, I think it makes sense to compare. I have now found the weight of the other available :

1) 35mm F2.8 -> 180gr. (Sony Zeiss)
2) 35mm F2 -> 340 gr. (Loxia)
3) 35mm F1.4 -> 600 gr.
Maybe I'm in the minority but I see this as a great thing in that we have a choice about what we want to purchase or be encumbered with. I don't see how this is a negative when there are 3 choices at difference masses. I'm hoping Sony continues to offer choice in al focal lengths eventually. Something for those that need speed and slow/compact lenses for those who like shooting at higher ISO by default of their lens kit.

I personally dislike the 35/2.8 for many of the same exact reasons that Louis pointed out. In a sense I'm still looking for my Leica 35 Cron ASPH replacement on the FE mount where it comes to performance/weight ratio. The Loxia may be the closest thing yet but it doesn't seem to compare in wide open sharpness... Actually the C-Biogon was a much better lens than the f/2 version in M mount. In the mean time I'm very happy with the Sigma Art 35. Yes it's large compared to most 35mm lenses but it's not unwieldy. The optics don't leave me wanting for anything when asked... If the 35 Distagon can match or exceed the Sigma Art then I'd happily trade for the FE lens in an effort to condense my gear.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I'm in the same boat. The Sigma Art is still something I may go too if the Zeiss 1.4 don't measure up. I also like the choices we have, this is good if you want small and lightweight you can get one. If speed is your issue than you accept the weight and size. I'm fine with that .

Let's remember Sony never said they would build small fast lenses that is our wish but physics get in the way. We assume since the bodies are small the lenses should be as well. Okay I get that but that's not always reality either.

jfirneno

Maybe I'm in the minority but I see this as a great thing in that we have a choice about what we want to purchase or be encumbered with. I don't see how this is a negative when there are 3 choices at difference masses. I'm hoping Sony continues to offer choice in al focal lengths eventually. Something for those that need speed and slow/compact lenses for those who like shooting at higher ISO by default of their lens kit.
Hopefully in the Sony forum we are among the majority who want as many good choices as possible. I hate to think about the damage to my bank account but I may be one of those crazy people who end up owning all three 35mm FE lenses. And after trying out the Loxia 50 I may be nuts enough to own that along with the 55/1.8. I really should get some psychiatric help.

Regards,
John

pegelli

Louis, thanks for the excellent article. Very nice text and all the pictures are clearly more interesting than test shots :thumbup:

For I know physics get in the way of producing lighter lenses, but here's some other data (I have no opinion on it, it's just additional food for thought when comparing weights of lenses

Minolta/Sony 35/1.4 (A-mount): 490 - 510 gram (not the sharpest wide open, some people love it, some hate it)
Minolta 35/2 (A-mount): 245 gram
Leica Summilux 35/1.4: 320 gram
Leica Summicron 35/2: 255 gram
Sigma 35/1.4 Art: 665 gram
Voigtlander Nokton 35/1.2 II: 471 gram
Voigtlander Nokton Classic 35/1.4: 200 gram
Zeiss (M-mount 1.4 / 2.0 / 2.8): 381 /240 / 200 gram

So you can see a trend that more light = more weight, but there's also quite a difference between different brands where heritage rangefinder companies probably valued low weight more than SLR/DSLR makers

jfirneno

Minolta/Sony 35/1.4 (A-mount): 490 - 510 gram (not the sharpest wide open, some people love it, some hate it)
Minolta 35/2 (A-mount): 245 gram
Leica Summilux 35/1.4: 320 gram
Leica Summicron 35/2: 255 gram
Sigma 35/1.4 Art: 665 gram
Voigtlander Nokton 35/1.2 II: 471 gram
Voigtlander Nokton Classic 35/1.4: 200 gram
Zeiss (M-mount 1.4 / 2.0 / 2.8): 381 /240 / 200 gram
So you can see a trend that more light = more weight, but there's also quite a difference between different brands where heritage rangefinder companies probably valued low weight more than SLR/DSLR makers
I think we can even say more.

With respect to size and weight:

mf < screw drive af < motor driven af < motor driven af + in-lens stabilization

The beautiful thing is you can throw all of them on an A7

Regards,
John

pegelli

The beautiful thing is you can throw all of them on an A7
Amen to that, that's indeed the good news. I just have to work hard they don't all end up in my bag :loco:, however on second thought, what would be the problem of that :facesmack:

:D

uhoh7

I'm in the same boat. The Sigma Art is still something I may go too if the Zeiss 1.4 don't measure up.
I've read, for what it's worth, that some of the Sigma ART Lenses test a bit better than they actually perform in a landscape situation.

No experience, so I can't confirm this; but the source, which I can't find at the moment seemed creditable to me at the time....which again doesn't mean much.

But some really close looks within the return window might be a good idea :)

The reason I would like to see some proper landscapes with the Loxia is that the FE35/2.8 is considered a bit more crisp by quite a few people. The M version 35/2 Biogon is fantastic on M bodies, except for the deep deep corners, but the adaption to A7 CG in the Loxia seems to have changed the performance quite a bit, despite what appears to be near identical optical design.

The A7.mod seems to like the original biogon 35/2 M pretty well now:

DSC01842 by elleliv, on Flickr

DSC01857 by elleliv, on Flickr

iiiNelson

Hopefully in the Sony forum we are among the majority who want as many good choices as possible. I hate to think about the damage to my bank account but I may be one of those crazy people who end up owning all three 35mm FE lenses. And after trying out the Loxia 50 I may be nuts enough to own that along with the 55/1.8. I really should get some psychiatric help.

Regards,
John
First I forgot to thank Louis for sharing his impressions... so thanks a lot. I really enjoyed it even if my fiancé will probably hate every word you wrote.

I don't think want the 50 Loxia is crazy because I used my ZM 50 Planar almost exclusively with the A7R for about 3 weeks until the 55FE was released. It's a toss up between the ZM 50 and the 35 Cron ASPH for my favorite M-mount lens.

Agree on the hoping there are plenty of good choices in the immediate and long term future. I just don't get the constant griping about the mass of the fast glass by many when there are lighter options available to purchase. Ultimately Micro 4/3 is the best mirrorless option out there for those who want a balance between a full featured native system, compact size, and more than acceptable IQ. I think many who stuck around and many early adopters kind of acceptedthe fact that Sony is going to have to take time and invest R&D to build out a complete FF system and that's sort of where the f/4 zooms come into play until a full line of primes is released - mind you I think 35mm is more than well covered with a light yet clinical AF choice, a MF choice for those that want character, and potentially a premium choice where IQ/speed are the primary goal.

I agree with Guy in that Sony didn't "promise" us the most compact system but I can understand how maybe some were caught up in the hype of them creating a compact FF EVF camera that could accept any legacy lens. I can even understand how/why some want those compact lenses. I truly hope they make them for that market. I'm ecstatic that they aren't ignoring those that don't mind the size, bought into the FE system for the sheer versatility of the mount, and/or need the speed... otherwise my choice would go back to Leica M or DSLR systems.

iiiNelson

I've read, for what it's worth, that some of the Sigma ART Lenses test a bit better than they actually perform in a landscape situation.

No experience, so I can't confirm this; but the source, which I can't find at the moment seemed creditable to me at the time....which again doesn't mean much.

But some really close looks within the return window might be a good idea :)
It may be a very true claim out the box.

What I also know to be true is that you can fine tune the Art, Sport, and Contemporary lines so that you can optimize the lens at different ranges with the USB dock. It is probably possible to optimize for shooting at distance.