The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony A7R "Walk around lens" suggestions

dandrewk

What's wrong with the FE35 for compact/AF walk around?

I've found anything shorter than 35mm doesn't work well for street photography, unless you are planning to lots of cropping.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
For me it's the 35/2.8 or 55/1.8 with a 16-35 in the bag. The 24-70 gets a bad rap but I just don't understand why because I've been VERY happy with mine. Add the 70-200 and you have the Sony zoom holy trinity.

There's so much exposure latitude and shadow recovery that combined with auto-ISO you're set with the 35/2.8 though. Love this lens. It's welded to my A7II.

iiiNelson

What's wrong with the FE35 for compact/AF walk around?

I've found anything shorter than 35mm doesn't work well for street photography, unless you are planning to lots of cropping.
Nothing wrong with it... It is just not everyone's cup of tea. The same can be said for every lens out there. There will always be someone who doesn't like a lens that some others love.

Lawrence B

I haven't posted much on this forum, but with this topic, I thought regulars might not mind if I jump in with my two cents.

For an upcoming trip I'm considering: A7r + FE 24-70f4, 50f1.8 and FE 70-200f4 OR FE 35f2.8, 50f1.8 + 70-200f4.

I've traveled with just the A7r + FE 35 and the zoom ( that's all I had at the time). I found the FE35 to be very travel friendly. Excellent IQ, f2.8 and 36MP for PP cropping worked well for me. The F2.8 provides the opportunity to do street/cityscape as well as walk into a cathedral or museum without having to change lenses.

I want to try the FE 24-70 this time to see what I can do with it hoping the OSS might buy me a stop of light if needed as I will not be bringing a tripod.

Note: I purchased one of the first released FE 24-70's and like many others my version had problems. In my case, I noticed decentering issues right away. I replaced that lens within the very first week and haven't looked back enjoying my current FE 24-70 ever since.

soboyle

My copy of the 24-70 is good, a bit weak at 24 and again at 70, but overall my most used FE lens because it spans my most used focal lengths. From 28 to 60 it's very good. It has some bizarre distortion in the middle range near 50, but is well corrected in post. As a walk around lens with the most flexibility it's the best option for Sony at the moment. I have a very good 35 2.8. My first 55 I sent back, was quite soft, not the razor it's supposed to be, and haven't plunked down for another one yet. I'm curious about the upcoming 24-240. That could be a very useful lens in certain shooting situations.