Site Sponsors

Thread: Sony A7R "Walk around lens" suggestions

Post Thanks / Like

Sony A7R "Walk around lens" suggestions

I have an A7R and 35mm Zeiss f2.8 FE, the 55mm f1.8 Zeiss FE, and 16-35 Zeiss FE. I also have an LAE-4 adapter, so I can use A mount lenses. I also have a Nikon D800E outfit, and my favorite all time "walk around" lens for it is a Tamron 24-70 f2.8 VC lens. It is perfect for the type of work I do (seascapes). I have wider and longer lenses for the Nikon, but when I want to go out and walk around and carry only one lens, it is always the 24-70. Oh, on occasion, I might put something wider in my pocket, but usually when I use the Nikon, I carry the 24-70. It is very sharp and has VC for hand holding.
    My question: A suggestion for a comparable A7R "walk around lens". I love the 16-35 FE, which I intend to put in my pocket, but the 24-70 (or 24- 80mm would be nice) is my go to lens. Any suggestions? I can use A mount with the LAE-4 adapter. I do have a Zeiss f2.8 24-70 A mount, but that lens is WAY too heavy and bulky for the small A7R, especially with the adapter on it.
    Thanks for any suggestions.
    Dave in NJ

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sony A7R "Walk around lens" suggestions

I thought there is a 24-70 FE lens. Am I wrong?

No, here it is: Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 24-70mm f/4 ZA OSS Lens SEL2470Z B&H

Or am I confused?

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Mike. The reviews I have read were very unfavorable for that lens, especially given it's price point.
    Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gurtch View Post
    Thanks Mike. The reviews I have read were very unfavorable for that lens, especially given it's price point.
    Dave
    No, not all reviews of the lens are unfavorable, and the price is in line with similar zooms from other manufacturers.

Sometimes rumors and a few negative experiences get repeated so often they seem universal. No doubt this lens may have had deficient "samples" earlier on, but from what I've gathered newer production is much more consistent.

Like everything, the folks that are unhappy are much more likely to post than those who are happy. I count myself among those who are happy with this lens.

My advice - get the FE24-70 and try it out. See how it compares with the Tamron in terms of image quality and feel. For what you are seeking, it's the obvious solution, and you can alway return it if you don't feel it meets your needs.
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Dandrewk. I may just do that. The optical stabilization, and focal length is what I am looking for. Your personal experience is very valuable to me.
    Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Dave
    Ahh. OK. I haven't researched it at all, but I'd seen it here and there. Good luck in your search.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Ideally I'd say give the Sigma 24-105 a try if you could find one or have it converted to A-mount. There's a rumor floating around that the A99 replacement will be launched with an accompanying 24-105-120 as well.

I owned the 24-70FE... I hated it personally for the asking price whether it's in line with the competition or not. I don't see a $700 (or $900 if you buy the kit lens in the camera bundle) difference between what the lens can do compared to the kit lens. Some love it. For me I prefer primes in the mid range and I limit zooms to the extreme ends. An ideal native FE kit for me would be the 16-35, 55, and 70-200... I'll be interested to see how the 28 will pair up with the 55 FE.

If you are more of a 35mm or 50mm person and don't mind MF then maybe look at the Loxia's for a one lens walk around kit. Between the two I would tend to lean 50mm on the FE cameras but 35mm on a rangefinder.
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by dandrewk View Post
    My advice - get the FE24-70 and try it out. See how it compares with the Tamron in terms of image quality and feel. For what you are seeking, it's the obvious solution, and you can alway return it if you don't feel it meets your needs.
    I agree. I have the FE 24-70mm and love it with the a7R. I'll speak up as one of the satisfied users. YMMV.

Joe

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here's another; I like the 24-70 - of course, zooms always represent some compromises - but this is a good lens in my opinion

Just this guy you know
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks all. Personal experience from all of you is very valuable to me.
    Dave

Post Thanks / Like

I would really love to see some of the top independents (Sigma, Tamron, etc) make lenses in native FE mount.
    Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HiredArm View Post
    I owned the 24-70FE... I hated it personally for the asking price whether it's in line with the competition or not. I don't see a $700 (or $900 if you buy the kit lens in the camera bundle) difference between what the lens can do compared to the kit lens. Some love it. For me I prefer primes in the mid range and I limit zooms to the extreme ends. An ideal native FE kit for me would be the 16-35, 55, and 70-200... I'll be interested to see how the 28 will pair up with the 55 FE.
    That's good advice, and I agree that lens combination is ideal. I should know, as I have those lenses.

However, in my case (as well as the OP's) it is unworkable as a "walk around" set up. Believe me, shlepping around Disneyland (or any excursion that requires a lot of walking) is hard enough without several pounds of a large camera bag. Besides the weight, sometimes it's near impossible to do lens switches on the fly. Better to have the correct focal length already attached.

So, the mid range zooms are a must. I always have the 24-70, and (depending on the situation) I'll also carry the FE55 (for speed) -or- the FE16-35 (for ultra wide needs). The kit easily fits into a small Tamrac Velocity 5 bag.

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

A6000 Zeiss 16-70. Nice walk around
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Option 2 and I do this a lot on jobs A7r 16-35 than when longer need flip crop mode on. Add 55 in a pocket with crop mode on makes a nice tele . So you get 16-35 native , 55 in native and also crop for a tele. Or just use 16-35 and throw in crop for 50
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Option 2 and I do this a lot on jobs A7r 16-35 than when longer need flip crop mode on. Add 55 in a pocket with crop mode on makes a nice tele . So you get 16-35 native , 55 in native and also crop for a tele. Or just use 16-35 and throw in crop for 50
    Sound suggestion.

"Walk around with what you have by cropping around".

Subscriber and Workshop Member MGrayson's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It works....

FE 16-35/4 as a 16mm lens:

And as a 135mm lens:

Matt (and that's a crop from the 16mm end; if I'd actually changed the FL, it would have twice the reach/resolution!)
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I have an A7R and 35mm Zeiss f2.8 FE, the 55mm f1.8 Zeiss FE, and 16-35 Zeiss FE. I also have an LAE-4 adapter, so I can use A mount lenses. I also have a Nikon D800E outfit, and my favorite all time "walk around" lens for it is a Tamron 24-70 f2.8 VC lens. It is perfect for the type of work I do (seascapes). I have wider and longer lenses for the Nikon, but when I want to go out and walk around and carry only one lens, it is always the 24-70. Oh, on occasion, I might put something wider in my pocket, but usually when I use the Nikon, I carry the 24-70. It is very sharp and has VC for hand holding.
    My question: A suggestion for a comparable A7R "walk around lens". I love the 16-35 FE, which I intend to put in my pocket, but the 24-70 (or 24- 80mm would be nice) is my go to lens. Any suggestions? I can use A mount with the LAE-4 adapter. I do have a Zeiss f2.8 24-70 A mount, but that lens is WAY too heavy and bulky for the small A7R, especially with the adapter on it.
    Thanks for any suggestions.
    Dave in NJ
    I bought a Canon 24-70 f/4 IS - very, very sharp into the corners but doesn't have very good auto focus. IS is excellent as well though (via a metabones adapter)

Post Thanks / Like

I have the Sony 28-75/2.8 and use it with a LAEA4. I'm quite happy with it on the A7S but it feels like quite a big combination on the NEX-7.

EDIT: I'm assuming you have the almost 1kg Sony 24-70/2.8 and not the 500g 28-75/2.8.
    Last edited by Slingers; 15th March 2015 at 17:54.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Now that I've seen more pictures with it the 24-240 may not be THAT bad for a walk around 1 lens outfit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The relative dearth of good, usable integrated Sony glass for the diminutive body is certainly one of this cameras significant shortcomings. It's why I remain primarily a Nikon shooter and use the A7r as an "adaptable sensor" platform.

But that said, it is a freaking blast to shoot a digital Holga walk-around/street cam: http://www.getdpi.com/forum/sony/529...its-holga.html

Or as a Soneica with MitaLux walk-around/street cam: http://www.getdpi.com/forum/sony/529...0-f0-95-a.html

I also hold high hopes for the new 28 -- it looks like the answer for a small walk-around/street autofocus optic.
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like

What's wrong with the FE35 for compact/AF walk around?

I've found anything shorter than 35mm doesn't work well for street photography, unless you are planning to lots of cropping.

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

For me it's the 35/2.8 or 55/1.8 with a 16-35 in the bag. The 24-70 gets a bad rap but I just don't understand why because I've been VERY happy with mine. Add the 70-200 and you have the Sony zoom holy trinity.

There's so much exposure latitude and shadow recovery that combined with auto-ISO you're set with the 35/2.8 though. Love this lens. It's welded to my A7II.
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

As Oscar Wilde said, "my tastes are simple, I only like the best"

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dandrewk View Post
    What's wrong with the FE35 for compact/AF walk around?

I've found anything shorter than 35mm doesn't work well for street photography, unless you are planning to lots of cropping.
    Nothing wrong with it... It is just not everyone's cup of tea. The same can be said for every lens out there. There will always be someone who doesn't like a lens that some others love.

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't posted much on this forum, but with this topic, I thought regulars might not mind if I jump in with my two cents.

For an upcoming trip I'm considering: A7r + FE 24-70f4, 50f1.8 and FE 70-200f4 OR FE 35f2.8, 50f1.8 + 70-200f4.

I've traveled with just the A7r + FE 35 and the zoom ( that's all I had at the time). I found the FE35 to be very travel friendly. Excellent IQ, f2.8 and 36MP for PP cropping worked well for me. The F2.8 provides the opportunity to do street/cityscape as well as walk into a cathedral or museum without having to change lenses.

I want to try the FE 24-70 this time to see what I can do with it hoping the OSS might buy me a stop of light if needed as I will not be bringing a tripod.

Note: I purchased one of the first released FE 24-70's and like many others my version had problems. In my case, I noticed decentering issues right away. I replaced that lens within the very first week and haven't looked back enjoying my current FE 24-70 ever since.

Post Thanks / Like

My copy of the 24-70 is good, a bit weak at 24 and again at 70, but overall my most used FE lens because it spans my most used focal lengths. From 28 to 60 it's very good. It has some bizarre distortion in the middle range near 50, but is well corrected in post. As a walk around lens with the most flexibility it's the best option for Sony at the moment. I have a very good 35 2.8. My first 55 I sent back, was quite soft, not the razor it's supposed to be, and haven't plunked down for another one yet. I'm curious about the upcoming 24-240. That could be a very useful lens in certain shooting situations.
    Shaun O'Boyle
    new.oboylephoto.com

Post Thanks / Like

quesabesde: Sony 24-240 mm f3.5-6.3 OSS FE: field test w/ raw images

Quote Originally Posted by soboyle View Post
    I'm curious about the upcoming 24-240. That could be a very useful lens in certain shooting situations.