Site Sponsors

Thread: Any E-Mount camera that does not suffer from 11+7 bit raw compression??

Post Thanks / Like

Any E-Mount camera that does not suffer from 11+7 bit raw compression??

Does anybody know if there is a Sony E-Mount camera that does not suffer from its notorious 11+7 bit raw compression?

Is it only the Sony A7 and A7R that suffer from this issue?

I currently have a Sony A7R and have noticed it in some of my shots. I am noticing it mainly in night time shots where there is banding in in the sky..

I did notice that Ming Thein highlighted this in an article when reviewing the Sony A7II

Review: The Sony A7 Mark II; nearly there

I plan on getting the Fotodiox Rhinocam for Sony E-Mount and that is the reason why it needs to be a Sony E-Mount as opposed to another brand of digital camera...

I have never noticed this compression in daytime shots but I have seen it as being an issue in night shots of which I do quite a bit of..

Hopefully the Sony A9 equivalent will solve this compression issue

Thanks so much in advance! Look forward to your thoughts..

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Any E-Mount camera that does not suffer from 11+7 bit raw compression??

DPReview just published their review of the A7S and called Sony out for their lossy compression in RAWs (pg 13). I can't recall seeing anything about the APS-C cameras doing this, but it seems that all of the FE cameras do.

Honestly, I've never noticed it causing an issue in my own shots (A7 here), but I don't pixel-peep much either.