Site Sponsors

Thread: A7 camera lens choices

Post Thanks / Like

A7 camera lens choices

I know the standard refrain that there are more A7 cameras than lenses in the system is almost true. But for me the recent developments mean I soon need to make some choices.

1) FE 16-35 or some combination of 35f1.4, Loxia 35f2 and 28f2 (and attachments for 21mm and 16mm fisheye).

2) FE 70-200 or 90mm macro.

As I've noted elsewhere basically I look on this as a lose/lose situation. If the lenses are mediocre I'll be disappointed and frustrated. If the lenses turn out to be really good I'll be greedy and poor.

3) Now I've heard that Canon has come out with a very good 11-24 zoom. This competes with the VC 12mm and some of the Canon TS choices. Is there no end to the choices I'm confronted with by the A7 plague?

Regards,
    John

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: A7 camera lens choices

Well the first statement is very much false but lens choice is subjective. I think that the 90 Macro and 35 Distagon will be outstanding optically. The 28 is my wild card but I did notice it was the only lens that they didn't highlight as being sharp corner to corner in the marketing materials. They even highlighted this claim on the 24-240 so I have my doubts about it initially.
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jfirneno View Post
    I know the standard refrain that there are more A7 cameras than lenses in the system is almost true.
    That is true if it comes to the dedicated FE lenses that I own (exactly none).

The rumor site marked a 6 month anniversary without a new Sony E mount camera. That ought to tell something.

I will buy the 28/2 from Sony (it has a 30 day return possibility). As for the other humongous lenses, Sony can fill their giant socks' with them.

Post Thanks / Like

A more true refrain would be ... the lenses are now bigger than the camera

All joking aside, if you need/want what these lenses offer than the choice is simple. I on the other hand am somewhat disappointed with the "Sony Road Map". This small camera seems destined to support some huge hunks of glass and plastic.

Don't pick me up wrong, I'm happy to have the option of playing with some C/Y glass while Sony rolls out it's roadmap and Zeiss release their plans and offerings in the Loxia range. But hopefully there will be a point later this year where I can choose 4 good relatively fast primes that will cover wide to short telephoto and not be bigger than the camera it's self.
    A7II, FE 35, 55 C/Y 18, 28, 85, 100, 28-85
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,

I am not very impressed by the A7 models today, so I have not jumped on the A7 train. A great advantage with the A# is that they can be used with almost any lens.

From my reading, the 55/1.8 is a really excellent lens and so is the 16-35/4. The 70-200/4 may also be a good one. Personally, I would be interested in a short tele lens that performed great at large apertures, without longitudinal chromatic aberration, but that may be a category of two, the Zeiss Otus 85/1.4 and the Zeiss Apo 135/2.0. Zeiss, please make an 85/2.0 APO, I would buy!

I am waiting for the "A9". The short list of lenses right now is:

16-35/4
    55/1.8

For the rest I would go with my lenses for the Sony Alpha 99

Sigma 10/2.8 Fisheye (APS-C)
    Sigma 12-24/4.5-5.6
    Samyang 14/3.5
    Sony 24-70/2.8 ZA
    Sony 70-400/4.0-5.6 G

Best regards
    Erik

I know the standard refrain that there are more A7 cameras than lenses in the system is almost true. But for me the recent developments mean I soon need to make some choices.

1) FE 16-35 or some combination of 35f1.4, Loxia 35f2 and 28f2 (and attachments for 21mm and 16mm fisheye).

2) FE 70-200 or 90mm macro.

As I've noted elsewhere basically I look on this as a lose/lose situation. If the lenses are mediocre I'll be disappointed and frustrated. If the lenses turn out to be really good I'll be greedy and poor.

3) Now I've heard that Canon has come out with a very good 11-24 zoom. This competes with the VC 12mm and some of the Canon TS choices. Is there no end to the choices I'm confronted with by the A7 plague?

Regards,
    John

Post Thanks / Like

It will be interesting to see how the new Sony FE 35/1.4 ZA will stack up with the Sigma 35/1.4 Art.

I have seen the Sigma in action and can say that it is stellar to say the least. For almost double the price, you would "expect" that the image quality on the new ZA lens would be superior, but is it possible?
    Bryan

“You don’t take a photograph, you make it.” — Ansel Adams

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Stephens View Post
    It will be interesting to see how the new Sony FE 35/1.4 ZA will stack up with the Sigma 35/1.4 Art.

I have seen the Sigma in action and can say that it is stellar to say the least. For almost double the price, you would "expect" that the image quality on the new ZA lens would be superior, but is it possible?
    Possible yes... Likely... Probably not but I'd say (in my uneducated opinion regarding the Distagon) they'd be about on par with one another.

Post Thanks / Like

If i was sooting the unmodified A7: any flavor, I would own the FE1635. I'd also own the FE 35 and 55.

Longer than that there are a lot of variables.

Post Thanks / Like

Huff's trying out the FE 35f1.8

HANDS ON: The Zeiss Distagon T* FE 35mm F1.4 ZA Lens. Samples, and my 1st thoughts! | STEVE HUFF PHOTOS

And (surprise, surprise) he loves it. Well at least he's got some images attached.

Regards,
    John
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I was looking for that selfie. Sure, it is there.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    I was looking for that selfie. Sure, it is there.
    Yeah, it's a very personal experience for him which makes it difficult to get any objectivity.

Here's another review with some actual criticism, a little more useful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=y-_jvsHediM

Regards,
    John

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks for the link.

I like Steve' delivery (with its over enthusiasm and all) better than these parakeets repeating the full name of the lens several times in a short clip.

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well I'm a 50 percent believer. Even at that it looks good
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

So far the 35 and 90 look like definite purchases for me. I'm debating the 28 still.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The 28 is certainly interesting idea and at its low cost it might be worth a try with a 30 day return.

The 90 is interest as well. Could it take my 85 1.4 place though. Not sure it really can

I would love to get to mostly FE lenses.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The 90 is a back burner idea for now.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    The 28 is certainly interesting idea and at its low cost it might be worth a try with a 30 day return.

The 90 is interest as well. Could it take my 85 1.4 place though. Not sure it really can

I would love to get to mostly FE lenses.
    Yeah my think also has to do with limiting the amount of filters I'd need for the FS camera as well. The 35 uses 72mm filters like the 16-35, and the 70-200. The 90 uses 62mm filters and that would give me the option of a bit more range if I decided to buy the A-mount 70-300Gv2 for my long zoom.

I'm mostly leaning to stay with the FE but I do miss having a Macro and this can double as a great portrait lens maybe depending on if it's too sharp (although it can always be dialed back in post.) I haven't owned one since I sold my 45/2.8 Macro Elmarit for Micro 4/3

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Has anyone seen the pics of the lenses with their hoods on? The video linked on the 35/1.4 shows it with its hood. I am yet to see the 28/2 (or the others) with its hood.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Has anyone seen the pics of the lenses with their hoods on? The video linked on the 35/1.4 shows it with its hood. I am yet to see the 28/2 (or the others) with its hood.
    I generally don't shoot with lens hoods on with the exception of being nearly perpendicular to oblique light sources. I'm sure it gives the impression of a much larger lens though. The lens looks to be about the same size as the 16-35 though so that's an acceptable lens size for me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I use metal screw in hoods I get on eBay dirt cheap. OEM hoods stay in the box

Post Thanks / Like

the newly introduced FE 35 1.4 at $1600 is a really steep price tag. and you have to wait to buy it. I opted for the e-mount 24mm 1.8 zies lens instead. you can buy the japanese version brand new on ebay for $750. Switching the a7 to crop mode, it essentially becomes a 35mm 1.8. the only downside is the pixel count goes down to about 15mp. For me 15mp is plenty fine as I don't usually print my pictures anyways. Maybe an option to consider

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the link.

I like Steve' delivery (with its over enthusiasm and all) better than these parakeets repeating the full name of the lens several times in a short clip.
    I agree that Steve Huff is fun to watch. But I always take his reports with a large grain of salt. He loves a lot of new stuff and then moves on to the next great thing. If anyone bought everything that Steve recommends as "great" bankruptcy would surely follow.

Regards,
    John

Post Thanks / Like

Choices

Well I pre-ordered the 28mm and the 35mm. I have to confess I'm afraid I might still end up buying the 16-35 zoom, but I can't resist primes. I don't even want to think about the macro yet. I'm hoping that I'll come to my senses before I cross that bridge.

Regards,
    John

Post Thanks / Like

Hi-res samples from all the new FE:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Better than the ones from Thailand with the 28/2

Still, leveling the horizon would have been better on this (easy to do with a built in level and all):

https://www.flickr.com/photos/968018...57650745020850

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lamfeihong View Post
    the newly introduced FE 35 1.4 at $1600 is a really steep price tag. and you have to wait to buy it. I opted for the e-mount 24mm 1.8 zies lens instead. you can buy the japanese version brand new on ebay for $750. Switching the a7 to crop mode, it essentially becomes a 35mm 1.8. the only downside is the pixel count goes down to about 15mp. For me 15mp is plenty fine as I don't usually print my pictures anyways. Maybe an option to consider
    The crop mode in the A7R yields 15mp and 10mp in the A7/A7v2 so that's a huge difference to some.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lamfeihong View Post
    Agree it will let light in as a f1.4 lens, but dof wise it will act like a 36/2.0 lens when cropped to APS-C. Small DOF is usually not used a lot with wide angles, but that can also make a difference to some. And if you really want small/light I would buy a crop body with it. At least the pixel count will be higher vs. the FF in crop mode.

Btw, I used that 24/1.8 on my NEX5 when I borrowed it from a friend for a day, it's a stellar performer, but doubt it can rival the new 35/1.4 when used on a FF body.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe it's me but the 24-240 actually doesn't look too bad based on the samples. Looks like it loses a bit of contrast on the long end but it's still perfectly acceptable for a 10X superzoom that'll be a travel lens.

Post Thanks / Like

Eh, I didn't think the 24-240 looked all that good @240 on the Mt Fuji shot. Maybe it's just because I'm peeping all of the primes at the same time, but the superzoom looked quite soft. The focal range is awesome though so I'll want to see a comparison to the 70-200 and superzooms for other systems before passing judgement.

The 28/2 looked really good to me, even wide open. The size and price are both right on this one. I bet APS-Cers will be scooping this guy up over the 24/1.8 now.

The 35/1.4 was kind of disappointing actually. It seems quite good stopped down, but the cat shot is not as sharp as I would have expected. It also has some coma in the corners on the night shot (@f1.4).

The 90/2.8 macro looks like the sharpest of the bunch, which I would expect of a macro lens. Actually, it has me a bit interested, despite the size.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/grahamgibson/

Post Thanks / Like

The 28 f2 seems a good performer to me. Bit tough to tell from these flickr images.
    The 21 adapter seems promising, this image does not tell the whole story though - https://www.flickr.com/photos/968018...57650745020850

it seem quite vignetting controlled and has sharpness to the edge but at f8 , you'd expect that. Be interesting to see it wide open.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ggibson View Post
    Eh, I didn't think the 24-240 looked all that good @240 on the Mt Fuji shot. Maybe it's just because I'm peeping all of the primes at the same time, but the superzoom looked quite soft. The focal range is awesome though so I'll want to see a comparison to the 70-200 and superzooms for other systems before passing judgement.

The 28/2 looked really good to me, even wide open. The size and price are both right on this one. I bet APS-Cers will be scooping this guy up over the 24/1.8 now.

The 35/1.4 was kind of disappointing actually. It seems quite good stopped down, but the cat shot is not as sharp as I would have expected. It also has some coma in the corners on the night shot (@f1.4).

The 90/2.8 macro looks like the sharpest of the bunch, which I would expect of a macro lens. Actually, it has me a bit interested, despite the size.
    Yeah I wouldn't expect the superzoom to give the same performance as the 70-200 but I think it does decently well for what it is. As for the 35 Distagon I thought it to be rather good when it comes to character wide open although the cat for a subject was rather unimpressive. I don't shoot particularly for the sharpest corners to the edge though so I'm not looking for this to be a landscape lens although I'd expect from f/4 on that it could do that very well.

Post Thanks / Like

Sigma is changing their tune

DPR published an interview with a Sigma bigwig and he stated that FE mount is now on their list of future priorities. I remember a very recent interview where they stated that they had no intention of making FE mount lenses. Interesting.

CP+ 2015 Sigma Interview - "small office, big factory": Digital Photography Review

Regards,
    John

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sigma is changing their tune

DPR published an interview with a Sigma bigwig and he stated that FE mount is now on their list of future priorities. I remember a very recent interview where they stated that they had no intention of making FE mount lenses. Interesting.

CP+ 2015 Sigma Interview - "small office, big factory": Digital Photography Review
    YES! Bring on the lenses, Sigma! Small, affordable primes, please.

Post Thanks / Like

Something the Sigma spokesman said in the same interview really caught my attention. He mentioned that after seeing Canon issue an 11-24 zoom with excellent IQ that Sigma is considering issuing an 11mm or 12mm to 24mm zoom in their ART series of lenses. I would love to be able to get a super sharp ultra-wide in e-mount (or at worst A-mount).

Post Thanks / Like

Not just a spokesman for Sigma--he's the CEO! Quite refreshing to hear his insights. I'm really pleased that Sigma's done so well in the last few years since he took over.

Post Thanks / Like

Not just a spokesman for Sigma--he's the CEO! Quite refreshing to hear his insights. I'm really pleased that Sigma's done so well in the last few years since he took over.
    Me too. I'd always heard that Sigma had a pretty hit and miss quality control situation. But the three Sigma lenses I've owned (12-24 zoom, 16mm fish-eye and 180 mm macro) were all fine instruments and behaved optically and mechanically as expected. The fact that they've upped their game is definitely a welcome development.
    Regards,
    John
    Sony fanboy, shamelessly shilling for "the man" since 2010.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sigma is changing their tune

YES! Bring on the lenses, Sigma! Small, affordable primes, please.
    I wouldn't call the Sigma primes small. They are relatively affordable but small they usually are not... At least not their premium offerings.

Post Thanks / Like

It was more of a request for small affordable primes, not a description of their current offerings I'm hopeful that they're not going to just port their current full-frame DSLR designs to FE. That would NOT meet my definition of "small"!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

It was more of a request for small affordable primes, not a description of their current offerings I'm hopeful that they're not going to just port their current full-frame DSLR designs to FE. That would NOT meet my definition of "small"!
    Ahhh gotcha... Yeah I hope someone makes them too for people although the Loxia's seem pretty small.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

NEX users seem very happy with the Sigma E-mount primes. Small, affordable and, by all accounts, decent quality. Maybe Sigma might choose to replicate that success for FE mount?

Post Thanks / Like

I think for us like minded "small is beautiful" club, Zeiss and the Loxia line of lenses (present & future) are perhaps the only game in town.

Now Zeiss, just give me an 18mm and a 100mm, I can live with the FE35 & FE55 ... game over!.
    A7II, FE 35, 55 C/Y 18, 28, 85, 100, 28-85

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve P. View Post
    NEX users seem very happy with the Sigma E-mount primes. Small, affordable and, by all accounts, decent quality. Maybe Sigma might choose to replicate that success for FE mount?
    Yeah the E-Mont lenses are apart of the Art series. They are relatively small compared to the FE lenses but they are all f/2.8 lenses as well.

Post Thanks / Like

It seems likely they'd have to stick with f2+ for anything as small as their e-mount series. I'm OK with that, since Sony seems to be taking the opposite approach with the new 35/1.4 and 90/2.8. A range of options in size and speed would be nice.

I do wonder what they're plan is to develop FE lenses though. Sigma is a small company, so in the past they've shared lens development resources with multiple product lines. It's pretty clear that the 19 and 30 were originally created for their DP1 and DP2 cameras and added to the NEX and m4/3 lines later. But developing an FE mount would not fit with any of Sigma's existing cameras. Maybe they'll use a focal length that would be desirable on both 1.5x crop and full frame (and even 2x crop?). Maybe 24mm f2.

On another note, DPReview released their Zeiss 35/1.4 samples and they look pretty nice.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah the good thing is that Sigma has a few different lines so they can scale on features, optical quality, and price. I actually wouldn't mind a walk around lens in the 24-85 to 120mm range. It can even be a f/3.5-4.5 to keep a reasonable size. Other than that primes in the 18-25/2-4 range, 85/1.4-2 or 100/2-2.5 prime would be nice as well.

I don't quite need as much range as the 24-240 but it does seem like a decent Superzoom.