Subscriber Member Georg Baumann's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Sony Zeiss FE 35mm F1.4 ZA

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Caulfeild-Browne View Post
    I do not need ...

What should I do?
    Honestly Bill?

Spare some, and order both at the same time, you know you want that 90 macro too.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

You post some very nice sample images, Charles

It looks like a very good 35 Are any of your samples on the A7r.mod?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by uhoh7 View Post
    You post some very nice sample images, Charles

It looks like a very good 35 Are any of your samples on the A7r.mod?
    Thank you everyone for the kind words and likes
    Charlie, I have also tried the FE 35/1.4 on the A7rM and the detail is even better IMO. I have no samples yet to post, but I will soon
    Charles Kalnins
    Tallai, Queensland Australia.

http://kalnins.zenfolio.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Georg Baumann View Post
    Honestly Bill?

Spare some, and order both at the same time, you know you want that 90 macro too.
    Thanks for the advice, Georg.

Yeah - I do. And I probably will. After all, what does "need" have to do with "want"?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks for the advice, Georg.

Yeah - I do. And I probably will. After all, what does "need" have to do with "want"?
    yet, you still prefer shooting MF? I think the scissors closed considerably more over the past few years. Not much in terms of innovation coming from the ususal suspects, quite the contrary. File quality still is a different ball game, but not as huge a difference as it was 10 years ago. A lot has happened since the Alpha 900 hit the market. Wasn't it the same "famous" year, Lehman brothers et al.?

I always wondered Bill, with your type of shooting and well, your excellent eye and execution, how comes that you do not have a Canon 24 TSE II in your bag?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesK View Post
    Thank you everyone for the kind words and likes
    Charlie, I have also tried the FE 35/1.4 on the A7rM and the detail is even better IMO. I have no samples yet to post, but I will soon
    i would love to see some side by side shots from the FE 34/1.4 on A7r.mod and the new ZM 35/1.4 on both the mod and a M body. As you know, Edward has posted knockout samples from the ZM on M240.

It has a "big" rep, but not compared to the ZA!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Georg Baumann View Post
    yet, you still prefer shooting MF? I think the scissors closed considerably more over the past few years. Not much in terms of innovation coming from the ususal suspects, quite the contrary. File quality still is a different ball game, but not as huge a difference as it was 10 years ago. A lot has happened since the Alpha 900 hit the market. Wasn't it the same "famous" year, Lehman brothers et al.?

I always wondered Bill, with your type of shooting and well, your excellent eye and execution, how comes that you do not have a Canon 24 TSE II in your bag?
    Very kind of you, Georg!

I guess most of my landscape work is MF, where I have a Hartblei 45 mm Super Rotator. I find it much easier to get proper focus on a big MF screen than on a little Sony screen! (I like to use tilt a lot, shift only for panos.) And I can use the Hartblei on the Sony - I have the adapter - but of course 45 mm isn't then a WA lens!

You're right that the gap between MF and, say, the a7r has narrowed dramatically and the tests I've done indicate that the FE 55 up against my Phase LS 80mm is pretty equal up to a 24 inch print, maybe even 30 inches. But after that, there is no contest - a good big'un is still better than a good little'n!

The other factor is shooting style. I really enjoy shooting landscapes in a contemplative manner with a heavy tripod and MF gear. When I shoot with Sony it tends to be hand held - necessary for wildlife, but otherwise rather encouraging me to shoot machine-gun style!

Or maybe I'm just an old fart who's living in the past - but selling 48 inch prints!
    Bill CB

www.billcaulfeild-browne.ca

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by uhoh7 View Post
    i would love to see some side by side shots from the FE 34/1.4 on A7r.mod and the new ZM 35/1.4 on both the mod and a M body. As you know, Edward has posted knockout samples from the ZM on M240.

It has a "big" rep, but not compared to the ZA!
    Hi Charlie. I think we are coming to point where side by side comparisons are not as relevant now. The FE 35/1.4 is an amazing lens. It is very different to the ZM 35/1.4 on the M240/M9 and A7rM and allows us to choose which rendering and look we prefer.

For portraits/street shooting I prefer the look and rendering with the FE 35/1.4, but for landscapes I would use the Loxia's instead, of course that is on a A7 series body.

Also with A7rII about to be released, I feel the Loxia 35/50 with FE 35/1.4 will be a great combination, and future proofs the lenses.

I did consider the ZM 35/1.4, and although it is excellent on the A7rM, I prefer having the FE 35/1.4 as it integrates with the A7s/A7II and A7rM. Some initial shots with A7s and FE35/1.4 are really smooth and quite different to what I am seeing from the A7II/A7rM. The other great feature is being able to AF in virtual total darkness
    Charles Kalnins

Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Awwww, the Super Rotator, well, that is fantastic of course! +1 on prints bigger than 30 inch. A 50MP possibly in the pipeline would help of course.

Guess photographers never had it any better, so many choices and truly excellent tools, some at even unbeliveable low prices, like the A6000.

About living in the past, you know, when I look at the present, it doesn't strike me as such a bad idea, living in the past....

Very kind of you, Georg!

I guess most of my landscape work is MF, where I have a Hartblei 45 mm Super Rotator. I find it much easier to get proper focus on a big MF screen than on a little Sony screen! (I like to use tilt a lot, shift only for panos.) And I can use the Hartblei on the Sony - I have the adapter - but of course 45 mm isn't then a WA lens!

You're right that the gap between MF and, say, the a7r has narrowed dramatically and the tests I've done indicate that the FE 55 up against my Phase LS 80mm is pretty equal up to a 24 inch print, maybe even 30 inches. But after that, there is no contest - a good big'un is still better than a good little'n!

The other factor is shooting style. I really enjoy shooting landscapes in a contemplative manner with a heavy tripod and MF gear. When I shoot with Sony it tends to be hand held - necessary for wildlife, but otherwise rather encouraging me to shoot machine-gun style!

Or maybe I'm just an old fart who's living in the past - but selling 48 inch prints!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Lens in hand. Looking forward to getting out with it soon.
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Want full report.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a couple of trips in the next few weeks so I should be able to get a great feel for what it can do soon. The fiancé surprised me and preordered both The 25 and 85 Batis for me for my birthday/our anniversary gift. Completely surprised me with that one.
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

She have a sister. ROTFLMAO

Just kidding
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    She have a sister. ROTFLMAO

Just kidding
    Two older ones but both married. Lol

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

DXO has tested the 35mm F1.4.

http://www.dxomark.com/Reviews/Sony-...rman-precision

It is one of the best FE lens, but ranks second behind the 55mm F1.8, especially for sharpness. For sharpness only, it ranks third behind both the 55mm and the 28mm F2 (?)

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe but I will say that with regards to the overall look that this lens is a step better than them all so far IMO. I can't quantify it numerically but there's a special character to this lens. This lens is quite a bit different than anything else in the FE mount save for maybe the 55FE and it's not too far behind the A-mount 135/1.8 in "magic pixie dust."

No it's not quite as nice as the 135mm A-mount lens (well I don't think so yet) but it's the second "special" FE lens that I've used so far in addition to the 55FE. Everything else has been mostly just serviceable based on need and utilitarian IMO. This lens, the 55FE, and probably the Batis line are going to be the native lenses that are going to be the reasons why you buy into the FE system.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Anyone want to send me there 1.4 I'll test it against the Loxia 35

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The 1.4 DXO test is getting a lot of critism from the less educated on look.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The 1.4 DXO test is getting a lot of critism from the less educated on look.
    Zeiss promoted lenses based on MTF and quantifiable/measurable factors. Those who did not care much about the MTF characteristics (the digital and the filter stack played a major role in this) were stared down as "uneducated".

Now, even Zeiss are shying away from their MTF charts and are trying to "explain" (again) what constitutes a "perfect" lens.

This is getting very interesting.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

May be it is time Zeiss, DOX , etc come up with a "magic factor"?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

No it's time for DXO to go away. It really says nothing about the lens and reality with post processing and such. Think about this do you give a raw image to a client or print from one. Never it's always fully processed to the best if your abilities. Now it's a final image.

Never ever liked DXO scores it's says nothing about what the final image is

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I've said this a million times take this stuff as a puzzle and this is just a piece of it. I say this even with my own lens tests. Which are always neutral and honest. Problem is people swear by DXO scores to make a buying decision alone or listen to some stupid *** reviewer that's 15 years old and has a video presence . Don't get me started. I could throw up of what I see lately on reviews. Popularity means nothing here. Early morning only 1 espresso so far.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Problem is people swear by DXO scores to make a buying decision alone or listen to some stupid *** reviewer that's 15 years old and has a video presence . Don't get me started.
    I can add some U tube and facebook links if that would help you get started.

BTW, Zeiss have upgraded their presence to facebook. They break all their news and explain the salient features like the OLED screen and such there.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I've said this a million times take this stuff as a puzzle and this is just a piece of it. I say this even with my own lens tests. Which are always neutral and honest. Problem is people swear by DXO scores to make a buying decision alone or listen to some stupid *** reviewer that's 15 years old and has a video presence . Don't get me started. I could throw up of what I see lately on reviews. Popularity means nothing here. Early morning only 1 espresso so far.
    Well in fairness to DXO I don't have a problem with what they do as they provide neutral quantitative data. Nothing wrong with what they do. The problem is how SOME people think in that they take that metric as the ONLY metric that ultimately matters instead of adding it as a factor to add with all the other data to make an informed preliminary decision before subjective testing begins. You see that honestly in everything from audio where people look for the speakers with the least amount of distortion or how some people prefer the analog sound of vinyl to uncompressed digital formats. You also see that in sports every year where these scouts fall in love with the metrics of unknown players when 90% of what you need to know can be found on game film.

People just have an incessant need to quantify everything... Even what their eyes see and their subjective emotions feel.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HiredArm View Post
    Maybe but I will say that with regards to the overall look that this lens is a step better than them all so far IMO. I can't quantify it numerically but there's a special character to this lens. This lens is quite a bit different than anything else in the FE mount save for maybe the 55FE and it's not too far behind the A-mount 135/1.8 in "magic pixie dust."

No it's not quite as nice as the 135mm A-mount lens (well I don't think so yet) but it's the second "special" FE lens that I've used so far in addition to the 55FE. Everything else has been mostly just serviceable based on need and utilitarian IMO. This lens, the 55FE, and probably the Batis line are going to be the native lenses that are going to be the reasons why you buy into the FE system.
    "Magic pixie dust" indeed. I'm glad you mentioned the 135 f1.8. That's kind of the feel I get. It's bright and clear and clean. The images have pop. And I'm gonna stop whining about how big it is. It's worth it.
    Regards,
    John
    Sony fanboy, shamelessly shilling for "the man" since 2010.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jfirneno View Post
    "Magic pixie dust" indeed. I'm glad you mentioned the 135 f1.8. That's kind of the feel I get. It's bright and clear and clean. The images have pop. And I'm gonna stop whining about how big it is. It's worth it.
    Yeah I shot them side by side on Friday. Very similar in rendering with the 135mm having just a bit more (and I seriously mean just a bit) sharpness. Definitely can tell they're from the same family of lenses and yes I agree I rather have the burden of a bit more mass to get results I'm ecstatic about when I do my part than deal with a light lens that causes me to constantly look for something "better."

I'm finally set at the 35mm focal length although if the Sigma Art was native FE or if I could AF out past the center 1/3 then I would've stayed with it. The Sigma Art is more neutral in look and possible just a tad sharper. The 35FE Distagon gets me the look I'm after with less PP and has way more "3D" to it. That's really the largest draw for the 35 FE Distagon... Native compatibility as designed. The aperture ring is a nice touch although I usually leave it on A to control the aperture from the camera most of the time.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Anyone want to send me there 1.4 I'll test it against the Loxia 35
    I think the most common response you'd get from 35FE Distagon owners would be "from my cold dead hands."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hey carefull. I'm Italian from Jersey these things can be arranged. LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

No it's time for DXO to go away. It really says nothing about the lens and reality with post processing and such. Think about this do you give a raw image to a client or print from one. Never it's always fully processed to the best if your abilities. Now it's a final image.

Never ever liked DXO scores it's says nothing about what the final image is
    Personnally, I like to look at their sharpness tests, especially at what they name the fieldmap graph, where you choose the Fstop and focal length (in case of zooms) and you get an idea of how sharp your full frame will look.

As for the combined scores they don't mean much for me; I have the feeling that:
    a) in the ponderation of the final scores they give too much importance to what they name light transmission (and which mostly depends from the largest aperture, a physical characteristic of the lens).

b) the center sharpness is also overweighted in their final scores for sharpness, with lenses privileging uniformity of the frame above center sharpness getting worse scores.

So most of the times lenses having a fast max aperture are advantaged with respect to other good uniform F2.8 lenses.
    Last edited by Annna T; 12th May 2015 at 06:52.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Agree i was being sarcastic as you can tell. Some data has use, I like to look at it but full testing by myself or someone I trust paints the quality of lens better. But honestly there are very few reviews I trust too and reviewers.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Annna T View Post
    Personnally, I like to look at their sharpness tests, especially at what they name the fieldmap graph, where you choose the Fstop and focal length (in case of zooms) and you get an idea of how sharp your full frame will look.

As for the combined scores they don't mean much for me; I have the feeling that:
    a) in the ponderation of the final scores they give too much importance to what they name light transmission (and which mostly depends from the largest aperture, a physical characteristic of the lens).

b) the center sharpness is also overweighted in their final scores for sharpness, with lenses privileging uniformity of the frame above center sharpness getting worse scores.

So most of the times lenses having a fast max aperture are advantages with respect to other good F2.8 lenses.
    True but most lenses give optimal performance stopped down a stop or two so the faster lenses have an "unfair" advantage of being in a sweet spot usually where a slower lens is still wide open. Usually most lenses are great from about f/4.5-f/8 so then you are looking at microcontrast advantages afforded by more expensive lenses, exotic elements, and improved lens coatings that give the faster/more expensive lenses further advantages.

The exceptions are lenses like the Leica APO-Summicrons or Zeiss Otus lenses that are no nonsense lenses designed to be excellent at every aperture from wide open - but you pay dearly in financial means and/or weight. Even when you design an excellent slow lens like the Leica WATE that performs at wide open you pay dearly in financial means. The 24 Elmar is maybe an exception but it's still not cheap... Just Leica cheap. Great optic though but it's larger than the nearly 2 stop faster 35 Summicron ASPH as well.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The lenses I covet are 28mm f/1.4 Summilux, 50mm f/2 AA Summicron and a few others (to be mainly used on Sony!). Performance in a tiny package does come with its price. When someone is unchallenged, they can afford to set the price wherever they like.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    The lenses I covet are 28mm f/1.4 Summilux, 50mm f/2 AA Summicron and a few others (to be mainly used on Sony!). Performance in a tiny package does come with its price. When someone is unchallenged, they can afford to set the price wherever they like.
    Yeah if I still had a Leica body I would probably want those as well... Maybe.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

+1. I do not ever look at actual scores that much, but the sharpness field maps are useful. My FE 24-70/4 OSS test (returned the lens after testing it few days) was perfect example. I could see the issues I had with both 24 and 70 mm materialize 1:1 in dxomark field maps.

There are some quite strange things in dxomark though. Take for example Zeiss Makro Planar 100/2. Stellar lens, many places, lenscore.org for example, test it to resolve nearly as well as APO Sonnar 135/2 with the correction being somewhat behind the APO. Field maps in dxomark are perfect in every aperture from open. Yet it scores perceptual megapixel value of 23 on D810 body vs 35 of the Apo Sonnar.

As for the FE 35/1.4, a very fine lens no doubt about it. The rendering&colors look very nice. But given quite the no compromize size/price I hoped a bit more from the widest apertures; we may have a 60 MP sensor just around the corner. Maybe FE 55 price/size/performance has calibrated my expectations wrong.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by tn1krr View Post
    +1. I do not ever look at actual scores that much, but the sharpness field maps are useful. My FE 24-70/4 OSS test (returned the lens after testing it few days) was perfect example. I could see the issues I had with both 24 and 70 mm materialize 1:1 in dxomark field maps.

There are some quite strange things in dxomark though. Take for example Zeiss Makro Planar 100/2. Stellar lens, many places, lenscore.org for example, test it to resolve nearly as well as APO Sonnar 135/2 with the correction being somewhat behind the APO. Field maps in dxomark are perfect in every aperture from open. Yet it scores perceptual megapixel value of 23 on D810 body vs 35 of the Apo Sonnar.

As for the FE 35/1.4, a very fine lens no doubt about it. The rendering&colors look very nice. But given quite the no compromize size/price I hoped a bit more from the widest apertures; we may have a 60 MP sensor just around the corner. Maybe FE 55 price/size/performance has calibrated my expectations wrong.
    The problem with their sharpness score comes from the fact that it is also a combined score (different apertures, different position in the frames and for zooms different focal length). What is exactly a score of 23 or 29 mpix ? They don't disclose exactly how this is calculate. So depending on how they combine the results they could advantage a lens over another. This us why I prefer to look at the field maps. Often, looking at the fieldmap, i don't understand how they rate one lens above the other. For instance, they gave the 28mm F2 a better score for sharpness, but it has soft corners at a lot of apertures. If I remember, you have to stop down to F8 if you want a little uniformity on the whole frame.

Yes, there are some surprising results at times; could be due to samples variations ?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tn1krr View Post

I don't know what the tests say but like the 55FE the 35FE Distagon is one that really shines on the higher MP body above the lower MP bodies. I don't think there will be any issues on a ~60MP body with the 35FE Distagon, the 55FE, or the Batis lenses.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

If I remember, you have to stop down to F8 if you want a little uniformity on the whole frame.
    You are wrong. Either you did not check the lens properly or read something (if it was written that way) bogus somewhere.

The 28/2 already hits the maximum at f/4. If any lens is good at f/8 then it is not for the A7r and the like. There is a small factor called diffraction and despite Sony massaging the files when a FE lens is used, still creates problems.

You can always up the saturation or tone the heck out of it. There are many splendid examples.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Which is pretty consistent that MOST lenses are at or near optimum performance stopped down a couple stops. Some are at/near optimum aperture at a little more than 2 stops and some a little less. Sort of what I was saying with why many faster lenses get "better" results (combined with lens coatings, exotic glass elements, etc.) than slower lenses that aren't optimized to perform extremely well from wide open to diffraction limit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The 2 Loxia lenses for example are really good even into the corners by F4. The center it's at 2.8. Optimum I think it's safe to say F5.6 after that it's not improving except DOF and diffraction starts settling in. I rarely shoot past F8 on any lens and F8 is purely for DOF reasons if needed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    You are wrong. Either you did not check the lens properly or read something (if it was written that way) bogus somewhere.

The 28/2 already hits the maximum at f/4. If any lens is good at f/8 then it is not for the A7r and the like. There is a small factor called diffraction and despite Sony massaging the files when a FE lens is used, still creates problems.

You can always up the saturation or tone the heck out of it. There are many splendid examples.
    Yes, I was somewhat wrong, but the 28mm only gets uniform frame at F5.6 while the 35mm F1.4 is already clean at F2.8. I know that fast lenses will become better earlier. Still for me that doesn't justify that the 28mm get a better sharpness score than the 35mm.

You can look at the field map at DXO (measurements, sharpness, field map). This is where I get my info : Sony FE 28mm F2 on Sony A7R versus Sony Carl Zeiss Distagon T* FE 35mm F1.4 ZA on Sony A7R versus Sony FE Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* 55mm F1.8 ZA on Sony A7R - Side by side lens comparison - DxOMark

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Who knows. Image quality wise I still rank the 35 Distagon above the 28. I think DXO does as well despite the sharpness. Goes to show the 28 is great for the price. The 35 is that exponential cost for that extra 5-10% of performance.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Who knows. Image quality wise I still rank the 35 Distagon above the 28. I think DXO does as well despite the sharpness. Goes to show the 28 is great for the price. The 35 is that exponential cost for that extra 5-10% of performance.
    Yeah - but what performance!
    Bill CB

www.billcaulfeild-browne.ca

Post Thanks / Like

I have the Loxia 35/50, FE 35/1.4 and FE 28/2. The FE 28 is a very nice lens, but I would not compare it to the FE 35/1.4 in terms of "overall" IQ. Sharpness evaluation is an excellent comparison starting point, but the "feel" of the FE 35/1.4 is very unique.
    Charles Kalnins

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Charles maybe one of the few that have both the Loxia 35 and the new 1.4. You have any thoughts between them.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Guy I think it's safe to say that if you can live with the size of the Distagon you won't really want for another 35 that's been released to date. If size is a concern then the Loxia is the next best 35mm option. The more I use the Distagon the more I'm blown away by it. Seriously I have zero regrets and I've teetered with options on every other focal length. This is the 35 I've imagined but wasn't created yet.

Post Thanks / Like

Charles maybe one of the few that have both the Loxia 35 and the new 1.4. You have any thoughts between them.
    Hi Guy,
    The Loxia 35/2 is an excellent lens. Ergonomics I really love, as the MF is activated with a touch of the focus with all the Exif data intact. The IQ is very Zeiss and works brilliantly on all of the A7s, A7r Mod and A7II. Great lens and a must have if you have converted to Sony A7's

The FE 35/1.4 is another league IMO. Wide open for portraits it is superb, and just stopping it down a touch you can decide whether you wish to grab more DOF. The lens is longer marginally than what I would like, but it is one of the first lenses I now take with me. The weight and diameter are not an issue, as I have the 50 Nocti f/1.0 and 75 Lux. Of course you have AF and a f stop ring which for composing shots is a wonderful addition. I often flip between AF and MF, the dampened action with the FE 35/1.4 is very good for MF now. For landscapes/seascapes it is very rich in tonality and colours with excellent sharpness.

Of course the FE 55 can be sharper at f/5.6, but I really don't think you can compare the overall IQ just based on sharpness.

For landscapes/seascapes the Loxia 50 I prefer over the FE 55 again for the overall tonality and richness in colours. Yet for close portraits the FE 55 @ f/1.8 is an amazing lens too.

Truth is we now have too many choices!!!
    Last edited by CharlesK; 12th May 2015 at 22:05.
    Charles Kalnins

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yea I came real close to the 1.4 but decided last minute to go with the Loxia 35mm F2. I really like it a lot but I got that little devil in my ear. Lol

I'm just going to have to rent it and see the diffrence. The Loxia 50mm is going nowhere love it.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm just waiting for you to break down and get it... It's inevitable. I'll even go out on a limb and co-sign something Steve Huff said. This is the best 35mm lens I've used on any 35mm system.

Yes it's on the large side. No it's not the absolutely sharpest by clinical standards. No it's not the lightest. Yes it is the best rendering one IMO that I've used though on any 35mm system to date. That includes M mount lenses and DSLR lenses.
    Last edited by iiiNelson; 13th May 2015 at 06:35.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The problem with their sharpness score comes from the fact that it is also a combined score (different apertures, different position in the frames and for zooms different focal length). What is exactly a score of 23 or 29 mpix ? They don't disclose exactly how this is calculate. So depending on how they combine the results they could advantage a lens over another. This us why I prefer to look at the field maps. Often, looking at the fieldmap, i don't understand how they rate one lens above the other. For instance, they gave the 28mm F2 a better score for sharpness, but it has soft corners at a lot of apertures. If I remember, you have to stop down to F8 if you want a little uniformity on the whole frame.

Yes, there are some surprising results at times; could be due to samples variations ?
    I actually did more research on this and one can pretty nicely draw the relative perceptual megapixels from dxomark Sharpness --> Profiles that shows "Acutance profile use case..." Looks to me the perceptual megapixel score on "main page" only seems to come from the peak center sharpness from the sharpest aperture of the lens. When analyzed this way I could pretty easily see the difference between APO, Makro Planar 100 and why FE 55 scores quite much better than the Makro Planar, it just has higher peak sharpness on center on its sharpest aperture.

So I'm now only looking at "Profiles" in the dxo sharpness from now on. It seems to visualize diffference much better than the all green field maps.

Post Thanks / Like

"Sharpness on the FE 16-35mm f4 is homogenous at 35mm f4, but it’s nowhere near as sharp as the FE 35mm f1.4"

Well I can certainly see how this lens would be attractive to native shooters, considering the context. I'm no fan of DXO either, after falling for their sensor tests for a while, but they do imply it's maybe the best 35 on the A7 series.

I still cringe at the size and weight, and I would like to see some straight up comparisons at 5.6 with all the 35 options. I suspect the old 35/2.8 may be close at 5.6.

I looked at quite a few images from the new lens on Flickr, and it seems very nice. But the Loxia sure is looking cute and clean in comparison: Meaning simply the form factor. Even the Canon EF 35/1.4 is 50 grams lighter!

A7II plus this is getting really near the 6D and EF 35/1.4, which is ridiculous to me.

Meanwhile Leica may have a small body in the works, which would be nice, since I find the M9 also too big. All inspires me to mount the little CV 35/1.4 on my A7.mod and shoot some