Site Sponsors
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Sony Zeiss FE 35mm F1.4 ZA

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sony Zeiss FE 35mm F1.4 ZA

Owning the 35/2.8 in the past and owning the 35/1.4 now I can say they aren't anywhere in the same league. Outside of them both being 35mm lenses they're barely even playing the same game. So while stoping down may bring the sharpness closer the rendering will still favor the Distagon IMO. The Loxia surpasses the 35/2.8 as well. The Distagon surpasses the Loxia IMO and the opinion of many that own both.

No it's not the lens for everyone due to size but for those that can look past that you'll buy a truly remarkable lens.
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I hope a Sony (not Zony) 35/2 will materialize soon.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    I hope a Sony (not Zony) 35/2 will materialize soon.
    I don't see that happening anytime soon to be honest. I'd expect a long portrait lens and/or a UWA prime before an AF 35/2 came.

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Starting to not like this thread. This may cost me money. I even saw one used already
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Starting to not like this thread. This may cost me money. I even saw one used already
    Soooo I'd say not to mount it on your camera... Ever.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Lol. I made a trade offer. Your killing me Tre. Lol
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe but you were going to wind up trying it anyway. Thankfully it's the closest thing I've found to a keeper FE lens. The Loxia lenses (especially the 50mm) are great too though but I think the Distagon has the magic you wanted in a 35mm. Would've likes it better at $2-400 less but I can't argue with the results.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yea the 50 is the gem. I most likely will get the 35 1.4 at some point . Might have go to NY next week so I can give the two loxia lenses are run for there money. I'm going to hold onto the 16-35 until they announce a super wide. It's just too good on the very wide end. The 85 Batis is top on the next to get

Post Thanks / Like

How does the 35 f/1.4 FE compare with the RX1 ?

I have felt that my RX1 is the best 35mm that I have ever used.

I only have an A7 but I am waiting for the A9(?) before I commit to any camera body upgrade. My camera fund was recently depleted by getting a Samsung NX1 with a couple of S lenses. It is a killer piece of gear but, beyond the S class, the lenses are lacking.

Thanks,

Bill

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't have a RX1 to compare it to because I wouldn't buy in without a built in OVF/EVF.

Post Thanks / Like

Well now I don't want to be laughed out of the room but...

Any reason why I should abandon the excellent 35mm 1.4 Sigmalux which currently simply fights for time against my favored 58/1.4G on the D750?

This could sit on the other shoulder with A7 at my weddings...

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

If you're referring to the Sigma Art 35/1.4 then it's a subjective choice as the 35 Distagon FE is a pricier choice. For me it came down to being able to AF across the whole frame and me having a consistent look with my other Zeiss lenses. Really the only con was the price and the large size for some. The IQ makes up for any negative ticks on my checklist.

That may not be worth the extra $3-400 to you. The Sigma Art is an excellent lens and if it were a native one I probably wouldn't have bothered with this one to be honest. There's not a difference worth 2X the cost to be honest although I do believe the 35 Distagon is the better lens. I don't know if the extra 10% of overall subjective performance (the Sigma is as sharp if not sharper but lacks the extra character IMO) is worth it to everyone. When you factor in the cost of the LA-E4.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The new FE will focus far better and more accurate than the Sigma. Sometimes the Sigma may hunt. Actually Tre has my Sigma that one is a good copy but I have had 2 bad ones with my Nikons. The key is the native lenses that can use all those AF point outside the cl enteral cluster. I fight this when I use A mount lenses. One reason why I sold the 85 ZA was for people especially that lens it was a real pain to work with. Bottom line Sony before they do anything need a far better A to E adapter, it works but it's not taken advantage of the A7 series capabilities. I only have one A mount left the Minolta 200 and that's a out of my dead cold hands lens.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

So publicly I will put this out there if someone buys the 35 1.4 and finds it to big or whatever and wants the Loxia 35 plus cash, I can make that trade. But I'm fine for now also as I do like the Loxia quite a lot. My issue is knowing something maybe better. Hate that in my head. LOL

The thing is the 35mm FOV is my lens cap lens

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HiredArm View Post
    If you're referring to the Sigma Art 35/1.4 then it's a subjective choice as the 35 Distagon FE is a pricier choice. For me it came down to being able to AF across the whole frame and me having a consistent look with my other Zeiss lenses. Really the only con was the price and the large size for some. The IQ makes up for any negative ticks on my checklist.

That may not be worth the extra $3-400 to you. The Sigma Art is an excellent lens and if it were a native one I probably wouldn't have bothered with this one to be honest. There's not a difference worth 2X the cost to be honest although I do believe the 35 Distagon is the better lens. I don't know if the extra 10% of overall subjective performance (the Sigma is as sharp if not sharper but lacks the extra character IMO) is worth it to everyone. When you factor in the cost of the LA-E4.
    Thanks! I actually have the Siggy for my D750. All my lenses for my A7 so far are adapted. 50/1.4 & 2.8/2.8 from CY Contax and a the 40/1.4 from Voigtlander. My thinking would be that I'd have a my Nikon with my 58/1.4 on one shoulder and the A7 with the 35/1.4 on the other shoulder. I'm not sure how well the AF would keep up at receptions though...

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

To be honest I'd say you'd be better off with two identical cameras to do weddings. The FE cameras would be great for your travel or personal camera.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HiredArm View Post
    To be honest I'd say you'd be better off with two identical cameras to do weddings. The FE cameras would be great for your travel or personal camera.
    I already do work now with a Rolleiflex, D750 and F100. There is a lot of camera switching haha. I've never totally gone the conventional route. :-)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by serhan View Post
    I guess 35mm is a Tamron design comes from this:
    Xitek - FE 35mm F2.8 ZA- designed by TAMRON

Tamron owns a factory(s) that are capable of making lenses. When you own a factory like this you can be hired to make lenses to pretty much any specification given the resources involved. It's very, very stupid to think less of a lens just because it was made in the Tamron factory. Tamron themselves probably could hire some designers to come up with some Otus like lenses, but guess what, that's not their market. They make affordable lenses that beat Canikon on price and they do very well in that sphere. It's not all about know how, it's about manufacturing and branding. Lenses are designed based on practicality and price. Zeiss has their design techniques and they can hire any factory they want that can bring their designs to life. Same with Sony, Canon and Nikon. The reason why Zeiss lenses are relatively priced competitively vs Leica (the closest other premium brand) is because they have chosen to use outside contractors to make their line ups. This is a smart move and it's to the benefit of all of us. Leica on the other hand does most things in house, in smaller scale, and the prices are higher. Guess what, Sigma could probably put together something like the APO Summicron if they want, but nobody would buy it. It would be massively expensive and large due to AF. So, they made something 'like' an Otus lens, and are doing remarkably well! I should add that while Leica does most things in house, that has not exempted them from all kinds of QC and design issues.

My basic point is, if a Tamron factory manufactures the lens, it doesn't mean they're swapping plastic elements from the rows of 18-55s they're producing for Rebels, and it's ignorant to assume it's a mark of poor quality. Japanese manufacturing is some of the best in the world.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quite a few dumped the 35/2.8 for various reasons none (AFAIK) because it may be a Tamron designed/made and Zeiss labelled lens sold by Sony.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Big mistake. I'm in NY and stopped in the Sony store. They had the 1.4 on display and of course I made them let me play with it. First it's not heavy and it's not big. What a myth that is. It's a 35 1.4 lens like anyone else that has a 1.4 lens. It's a freaking beauty that's what it is. Pretty simple

I'll wait till after getting my Batis glass and A7r but it's really nice. I'm happy with my Loxia right now and shot it quite a bit this trip. I have both Loxia lenses with me and the 16-35 which I have not even shot yet.

Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quite a few dumped the 35/2.8 for various reasons none (AFAIK) because it may be a Tamron designed/made and Zeiss labelled lens sold by Sony.

So, what's wrong with the 35/2.8?
    With best regards, K-H.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by k-hawinkler View Post
    So, what's wrong with the 35/2.8?
    Haven't you seen Tim Ashley's review? It was posted here.
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Smile Re: Sony Zeiss FE 35mm F1.4 ZA

It's a freaking beauty that's what it is. Pretty simple
    Told you so - weeks ago!
    Bill CB

www.billcaulfeild-browne.ca

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Big mistake. I'm in NY and stopped in the Sony store. They had the 1.4 on display and of course I made them let me play with it. First it's not heavy and it's not big. What a myth that is. It's a 35 1.4 lens like anyone else that has a 1.4 lens. It's a freaking beauty that's what it is. Pretty simple

I'll wait till after getting my Batis glass and A7r but it's really nice. I'm happy with my Loxia right now and shot it quite a bit this trip. I have both Loxia lenses with me and the 16-35 which I have not even shot yet.
    Yup. Pretty much in line with what Chad and all other owners have reiterated. Ashwin noted the same this past weekend when I handed him mine. Definitely is large compared to some but heavy it is not.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Haven't you seen Tim Ashley's review? It was posted here.
    Thanks Vivek. Yup, I remember having read his article at the time.

I recall there was a lot of discussion about lens manufacturing variances, de-centering, etc. For what I am using my 35/2.8 for it seems fine.

It's the only lens so far I bought that is native to FE cameras. I'll wait and see if and when the A7R II materializes before considering getting more native AF lenses for the FE mount. So far, I have mainly used various Leica R and M lenses on the A7R anyway, of course, avoiding the problematic M lenses. But I am well covered from 14 to 280 mm with Leica lenses, so I am in no hurry.
    With best regards, K-H.

Post Thanks / Like

Here's Tim's review of the 35/2.8: Sony FE 35mm f2.8 ZA

Pretty positive I would say, and for me not a reason to dump the lens if it behaves like the sample Tim tested.
    My Pics

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Not many have the patience of Tim or Michael (? another review that mirrors Tim's) to discover the "right sample". The whole point of the blue label was supposedly a quality control check (or so is the myth).

Post Thanks / Like

Very true, but if you have a good copy, you have a very good and extremely small and light lens.

I have no intention to get rid of mine and, knowing it as I do now, there are no impediments to stunning image quality.

I can see why people prefer other 35mm solutions, but if f2.8 works and a person has a good copy, there is not much to complain about with the 35mm FE Sonnar IMHO. There are a great many very positive reviews and very happy users out there, so the notion of 'dumping the lens' surprises me. After all, many lauded it as a 'gem' not long ago!

Quality control was shocking, however.... never seen anything like it.

Not many have the patience of Tim or Michael (? another review that mirrors Tim's) to discover the "right sample". The whole point of the blue label was supposedly a quality control check (or so is the myth).

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by turtle View Post
    Very true, but if you have a good copy, you have a very good and extremely small and light lens.

I have no intention to get rid of mine and, knowing it as I do now, there are no impediments to stunning image quality.

I can see why people prefer other 35mm solutions, but if f2.8 works and a person has a good copy, there is not much to complain about with the 35mm FE Sonnar IMHO. There are a great many very positive reviews and very happy users out there, so the notion of 'dumping the lens' surprises me. After all, many lauded it as a 'gem' not long ago!

Quality control was shocking, however.... never seen anything like it.
    That is 2 people discarding 2 each and if you include my 2 samples (never went for that "gem" 3rd sample) that is 6. That is exactly what I refer to.

OTOH, I am pretty happy with the one (used) sample of a Summarit M 35/2.5. Colors are simply the best.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

OTOH, I am pretty happy with the one (used) sample of a Summarit M 35/2.5. Colors are simply the best.
    That's because it's a Leica lens. No?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Not all Leica lenses are useful on the Sony A7 cams (unless the cameras are modified). The 35/2.5 seems to fit the bill. It also has no shiny RF coupling brass bits (i.e. digital ready).

Post Thanks / Like

Tim's review is quite silent on that but I agree, famous saying is fool me once shame on you, fool me twice, shame on ..... and some were fooled multiple times. I have 3 great and one OK 35 mm lenses (Leica, Voigtlander, Minolta and Helios) so no need for a fifth, so I never took the plunge to get this one. If I ever get a fifth 35 mm it will probably be a Zuiko and not a Sony/Zeiss.
    Last edited by pegelli; 28th May 2015 at 06:41.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Not all Leica lenses are useful on the Sony A7 cams (unless the cameras are modified). The 35/2.5 seems to fit the bill. It also has no shiny RF coupling brass bits (i.e. digital ready).
    Can you explain what you did to the Summarit 35/2.5 to make it A7 ready? TIA

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Absolutely nothing, Lou. Just use it as supplied (with an appropriate adapter of course).

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

It's very lens and model dependent in my experience. The Leica branded lenses have been hit or miss for me. I've sold them all except my 90 Cron Pre-AA and 24 Elmar that'll be gone eventually I'm sure. Great lenses but no more native M bodies for me at what they're charging these days.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ryc View Post
    Yes, but what it sounds like to me is he needs a slightly larger case to accommodate the 35 f1.4 lens comfortably. In a comfortable sling on his back it would have worked perfectly on his hike. I just spent a few days hiking around Red Rock Nevada and that is a very steep area if you want it to be. I had a small sling bag and a wrist strap and that made all the difference in the world when 6 or 8 hours of hiking is involved.
    Regards,
    John
    Sony fanboy, shamelessly shilling for "the man" since 2010.

Post Thanks / Like

If you don't need speed and want a truly brilliant manual focus lens for the FE mount, there is an excellent alternative to the Loxia: buy an adaptor and a Canon FD 35mm f2.8. $60 and it outperforms the Zeiss 35mm Sonnar. For those looking at the new 35mm f1.4 lens, but wanting something smaller and lighter for landscapes, it might be the ticket. You could even add the 50mm f1.4 FDn to it and leave the 55mm f1.8 Sonnar at home (or in the shop). Just a thought.

Post Thanks / Like

Well that's it, isn't it? If someone already owns a good sample, its a quite different situation to someone about to buy.

Would I buy the 35mm Sonnar again? No. That was torture; however, I am very happy with the lens I now have.

Does anyone else have the impression that QC may have improved? I'll be very interested to hear how things are going with 35mm f1.4 Distagon sample variation, as it is another Zony lens. I had to send back my first 55mm Sonnar and first two 35mm Sonnars. I've never had to send back a real (Cosina) Zeiss lens, or a Leica, for decentering.

Quote Originally Posted by pegelli View Post
    Here's Tim's review of the 35/2.8: Sony FE 35mm f2.8 ZA

Pretty positive I would say, and for me not a reason to dump the lens if it behaves like the sample Tim tested.

Post Thanks / Like

Welll ultimately I decided to return the 35/1.4 ZA. It's true that it's a beauty optically, but I'll never ever use it for personal work due to the size. And during professional work it's better but the AF of the A7 can't even really keep up with a couple walking slowly during and engagement shoot, even manual lenses seem better in this regard. When you have a D750, trying to AF with the A7 is a chore I'd rather not deal with in front of clients. Glad I got to try it though! I'm sure in a few generations when AF catches up to DSLRs, this will be the lens to get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Get the A7II it's far faster AF. I tried this lens at the Sony store in NY and made me buy it. The AF was pretty darn fast. Hope to get mine by Saturday

Post Thanks / Like

Get the A7II it's far faster AF. I tried this lens at the Sony store in NY and made me buy it. The AF was pretty darn fast. Hope to get mine by Saturday
    I want to wait until they really nail it to upgrade. It would be a lot of money to have both.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Im joining the party the mailman is delivering it today. Im pretty excited. I shot the Loxia 35mm F2 in NY and really nice lens but the booked looks a touch nervous at least to me. This should solve it

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This one bugged me a little Loxia 35 F2 wide open. I think its a bit nervous looking given I was pretty darn close

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I think I will like the 1.4 better . Outside of this I do love that Loxia 35mm. But I knew all along I would want the 1.4. Should have listened to the little devil on my shoulder. LOL

Post Thanks / Like

This one bugged me a little Loxia 35 F2 wide open. I think its a bit nervous looking...
    Wow, that really is rather nervous. I wouldn't have expected that. (I'm sure the 1.4 will be better!)

Post Thanks / Like

I saw this comparison and thought it might be interesting to folks looking at the native Sony lenses:

http://backgroundblur.com/#!/article...1317ac11f1f945

Some good examples of the bokeh and perspective that these lenses give you. Man, that 35/1.4 is drool-worthy.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/grahamgibson/

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This one bugged me a little Loxia 35 F2 wide open. I think its a bit nervous looking given I was pretty darn close
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeEvangelist View Post
    Wow, that really is rather nervous. I wouldn't have expected that. (I'm sure the 1.4 will be better!)
    This is exactly the kind of bokey I'm getting with my legacy Zeiss Contax G lenses. At the time Leica had a reputation for better (softer) bokey. While Zeiss was going for contrast, microcontrast and high sharpness, which seems to imply a more nervous bokey.

I was surprised when reading in GetDpi forums that Zeiss lenses had great bokey. I think that those photographers writing that had more experience with medium format lenses and the 645 Contax bodies than with the 24x36mm format. Or they were thinking to lenses like the recent Otus.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well from memory the Zeiss 35 F2 FE or ZF seemed to have nicer bokeh. I actually bought that lens at least 3 times. MF is different it has such shallow DOF anyway its kind of hard to compare it to 35mm. Now the Zeiss ZE/ZF glass some of them are just beautiful but they are longer focal lengths like the 85 1.4 and 135 F2 but we really can't compare them to the 35mm focal length. I was a bit surprised by this image as I was pretty darn close which leads to bigger OOF areas and the background itself is really not that busy overall. Actually pretty typical.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

So the trees are nervous looking but the real key here is the flat surfaces of the bridge going back should really be smoother IMHO. I don't like that falloff from the first column to the second. That too me its not good. Do you agree, thats a key area that should be smooth as silk because its a flat smooth surface