Site Sponsors
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7

Thread: Sony Zeiss FE 35mm F1.4 ZA

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Sony Zeiss FE 35mm F1.4 ZA

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEvangelist View Post
    Wow, that really is rather nervous. I wouldn't have expected that. (I'm sure the 1.4 will be better!)
    I think even at F2 it will with the 1.4 lens. From what I have seen of that lens its smooth as silk the falloff
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Now the 50 is better . Let me find that image
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Okay a very similar type of shot with the Loxia 50mm F2 now I find this much smoother on the flat surfaces. Yes its a little longer lens than 35mm but this feels and looks better to me.

Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Annna T View Post
    This is exactly the kind of bokey I'm getting with my legacy Zeiss Contax G lenses. At the time Leica had a reputation for better (softer) bokey. While Zeiss was going for contrast, microcontrast and high sharpness, which seems to imply a more nervous bokey.

I was surprised when reading in GetDpi forums that Zeiss lenses had great bokey. I think that those photographers writing that had more experience with medium format lenses and the 645 Contax bodies than with the 24x36mm format. Or they were thinking to lenses like the recent Otus.
    What you are forgetting is that bokeh taste...IS SUBJECTIVE. Many people are simply not bothered by nervousness and hard edged bokeh balls. Myself included! I generally don't like the over smooth bokeh modern lenses gravitate toward. There is not such thing as 'bad bokeh.'

Zeiss lenses have their deserved reputation for great color, contrast, and quality. They typically have a good balance of sharpness and pleasing rendering. You may not like all aspects of that rendering though, and that's ok. However it does not mean people are enjoy G lenses, or even Hasselblad lenses with their 5 aperture leaves, are wrong.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Absolutely it really is a matter of taste no question. Responses to certain images are all over the map when it comes bokeh and that's okay , we all like diffrent things.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

35 1.4 is here what a beauty. Just playing a little and wow wide open is amazingly good. I don't use original hoods. I use metal screw in hoods that I get cheap on eBay and it keeps the size down. It's really just like a 16-35 just a touch bigger and feels like the same weight.i can tell you this much better than the sigma Art lens with adapter and faster AF For the output you get it's going to be worth it. Having one Loxia and the 2 Batis lenses it should be a nice kit.

Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

When we are comparing background bokeh, I think it is very hard to compare different FL's. There are not many 35mm lenses that render sharp wide open, and have perfect soft layering bokeh. The older Leica 35 Lux/Cron pre Asph do have beautiful bokeh, but it is a compromise.

The 50mm lenses lenses lend themselves to an optical design where the bokeh is generally softer anyway.

That said the FE 28 is a surprise package in terms of bokeh.

Guy, the FE 35/1.4 is a superb lens!
    Charles Kalnins
    Tallai, Queensland Australia.

http://kalnins.zenfolio.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yea I'm really looking forward to it. I'm a 35mm guy so having the best in class is what I want.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Speedgraphic View Post
    What you are forgetting is that bokeh taste...IS SUBJECTIVE. Many people are simply not bothered by nervousness and hard edged bokeh balls. Myself included! I generally don't like the over smooth bokeh modern lenses gravitate toward. There is not such thing as 'bad bokeh.'

Zeiss lenses have their deserved reputation for great color, contrast, and quality. They typically have a good balance of sharpness and pleasing rendering. You may not like all aspects of that rendering though, and that's ok. However it does not mean people are enjoy G lenses, or even Hasselblad lenses with their 5 aperture leaves, are wrong.
    I made no judgement of value concerning bokey : the two terms used are "nervous" and "softer". But never good or bad or better. Personnally, i don't really care for bokey. I prefer the higher microcontrast of Zeiss lenses and sharpness with deep DOF. I was just trying to tell that there is a trade off between microcontrast and bokey (perhaps with the exception of some newer designs like the otus. But then you get more weight and volume to drag along).

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well I'm just going to say it be it you believe me or not and I make zero money saying. This 35 1.4 is the best lens I ever shot as a 35 1.4 and I have had them all. That's across every brand PERIOD. I say that not even looking at the images yet on a computer. It's one of the sharpest but more important has the nicest rendering I ever seen. It's very smooth across the frame, I mean the tonal range is the absolute best I have ever seen and that maybe with any lens along with the 3d rendering falloff is just amazing. Everything is just so smooth between transition areas that it made buying a Sony worth it by 100 percent. This is really just outstanding, my Sigma Art both for Nikon and Sony A is not even close to this. I'm not talking absolute sharpness but overall look and rendering of the file. I may have made many claims on certain lenses like the 135 apo and such but this lens is a 100 percent a keeper. It's far better than any review any comment to date. It's big and slightly heavy but do NOT let that speak for the quality of this lens. It's killer and one of the best in the business.the AF may not be rocket fast but it's accuracy is even better than me focusing it. And I'm damn good at focusing. With steady shot I got down to 1/2 a second last night playing around in the house. So weight and bulk are totally not relevant as its fits really well in the hand. The balance is quite good. That's all I'm going to say. It's raining but this week I will get out and play. I honestly don't even have to test it like I always do. It's just deadly good.

I loved the Loxia 35 but I knew all along I might be missing out on something. I was and glad I rectified my original thoughts. I lost no money doing it either which is even better, maybe 50 dollars since I got this for a nice price. Obviously if you want to travel a lot this would make your decision tougher but it's pretty much the same as the 16-35 both in weight and size and that by feel not numbers.

And for the record mirrorless folks the Think Tank urban approach 10 is perfect for the Sony A7. I can fit this lens on body down the middle of the bag straight down, the Minolta 200mm with adapter in one slot than stack the Loxia 50 with the 16-35 on top of it. They give you stacking dividers . The only thing I don't like is there clasp on the bag. I already cut that off. Bag is more mine now but I also did half of the Velcro to close bag. Makes it far less noisy but still strong enough to hold flap down securely. Need to look at this bag folks. It's not cheap at 135 dollars but for body and 4 or 5 lenses outstanding little bag

Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Hey, I have one more of the 35's left new never used for 1485.00

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I got mine from JT folks. Brand spanking new

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ryc View Post
    Hey, I have one more of the 35's left new never used for 1485.00
    Get me the Batis.

Seriously have we heard any in the wild ready to buy.

Post Thanks / Like

I am still waiting for my press sample from Zeiss.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Well I'm just going to say it be it you believe me or not and I make zero money saying. This 35 1.4 is the best lens I ever shot as a 35 1.4 and I have had them all. That's across every brand PERIOD. I say that not even looking at the images yet on a computer. It's one of the sharpest but more important has the nicest rendering I ever seen. It's very smooth across the frame, I mean the tonal range is the absolute best I have ever seen and that maybe with any lens along with the 3d rendering falloff is just amazing. Everything is just so smooth between transition areas that it made buying a Sony worth it by 100 percent. This is really just outstanding, my Sigma Art both for Nikon and Sony A is not even close to this. I'm not talking absolute sharpness but overall look and rendering of the file. I may have made many claims on certain lenses like the 135 apo and such but this lens is a 100 percent a keeper. It's far better than any review any comment to date. It's big and slightly heavy but do NOT let that speak for the quality of this lens. It's killer and one of the best in the business.the AF may not be rocket fast but it's accuracy is even better than me focusing it. And I'm damn good at focusing. With steady shot I got down to 1/2 a second last night playing around in the house. So weight and bulk are totally not relevant as its fits really well in the hand. The balance is quite good. That's all I'm going to say. It's raining but this week I will get out and play. I honestly don't even have to test it like I always do. It's just deadly good.

I loved the Loxia 35 but I knew all along I might be missing out on something. I was and glad I rectified my original thoughts. I lost no money doing it either which is even better, maybe 50 dollars since I got this for a nice price. Obviously if you want to travel a lot this would make your decision tougher but it's pretty much the same as the 16-35 both in weight and size and that by feel not numbers.

And for the record mirrorless folks the Think Tank urban approach 10 is perfect for the Sony A7. I can fit this lens on body down the middle of the bag straight down, the Minolta 200mm with adapter in one slot than stack the Loxia 50 with the 16-35 on top of it. They give you stacking dividers . The only thing I don't like is there clasp on the bag. I already cut that off. Bag is more mine now but I also did half of the Velcro to close bag. Makes it far less noisy but still strong enough to hold flap down securely. Need to look at this bag folks. It's not cheap at 135 dollars but for body and 4 or 5 lenses outstanding little bag
    Ahem... Told you it was the ONE.

- Enabler
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Really like to know the moron that said it was not sharp at 1.4. There idiots for starters . I never seen a lens at 1.4 this close to it stopped down. There difference is so slight you can barely see it. I ran my typical lens test this morning and Im not going to bore all of you with it but this lens is just flat out amazing. Corner test at F2 it starts to nail it by 2.8 its not different than F8. Center sharpness is so dang close I never seen a lens like this wide open compared to stop down. Sure a touch less contrast at 1.4 but that is totally expected. Vignetting a little over 3/4 of a stop to a stop wide open. Nothing worse than that and thats damn good. I also tried on the sharpness test AF compared to me. I got beat in accuracy. No lens ever did that to me. The little ****. LOL

I have detected no focus shift stopping down either. At least none I can tell. The colors are some of the best I have seen PERIOD. If there is one issue it is a little CA at 1.4 gone by F2

Actually its off a white surface so could be purple blooming. Not seeing it in other shots

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

SWEET shot at 5.6

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

SWEET shot at 5.6

The best thing about this lens is that there usually isn't any NEED for much processing if any at all. It normally just comes out looking pretty close to "right."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I did nothing except my little sharpening. Scary good

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Okay I can't talk my way on this area so have to show you. But my ugly bokeh test. I did these handheld so its moving slightly. But again this is nice bokeh through the series, no nervousness that at least bugs me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

There is one major faulty with this lens. Not having ONE is all I can come up with. LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Wide open at 1.4

CRop

Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

There is one major faulty with this lens. Not having ONE is all I can come up with. LOL
    That is scary.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Does this lens work OK with extension tubes without vignetting?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    Does this lens work OK with extension tubes without vignetting?
    I can check this week when I get free from work to shoot. I'd imagine that there would be some wide open because there is vignetting wide open. I'd get that somewhere between f/2.8-4 it shouldn't be a problem but I can confirm this weekend maybe.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Have to say every time I look at that car posted . It's just jumping off the screen. Any device too phone, iPad etc

Pretty dang impressive look

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by HiredArm View Post
    I can check this week when I get free from work to shoot. I'd imagine that there would be some wide open because there is vignetting wide open. I'd get that somewhere between f/2.8-4 it shouldn't be a problem but I can confirm this weekend maybe.
    Thanks, Tre.

The FE 28/2 works fine without issues.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Have to say every time I look at that car posted . It's just jumping off the screen. Any device too phone, iPad etc

Pretty dang impressive look
    It does! That plus your over the moon recommendation is very troubling for my finances.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

As it should be. LOL

You of all people a street shooter needs this lens.

Just use a alternate hood. That hood supplied would scare a Bengal Tiger.

Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

The takeaway from the rave impressions from most owners is that it's not as heavy as it looks but for someone size conscious the argument could be made that the 55FE (or 50 Loxia) might be a better two lens pair with your 28FE if the intent is walk around street photography. Most of my time in Seattle I ONLY took the 35FE Distagon on either my A7 or A7R with a color checker passport and extra battery. I had my 55FE and my 135ZA with me as well but it was only used a few times to be honest.

Makes me more excited for the Batis 25 and 85 to be honest because I can have 2-4 primes that's cover 90% of what I shoot natively and with uncompromising IQ.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Most of the time, I carry more than I use. There is always a back up body, for example.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by HiredArm View Post
    The takeaway from the rave impressions from most owners is that it's not as heavy as it looks but for someone size conscious the argument could be made that the 55FE (or 50 Loxia) might be a better two lens pair with your 28FE if the intent is walk around street photography. Most of my time in Seattle I ONLY took the 35FE Distagon on either my A7 or A7R with a color checker passport and extra battery. I had my 55FE and my 135ZA with me as well but it was only used a few times to be honest.

Makes me more excited for the Batis 25 and 85 to be honest because I can have 2-4 primes that's cover 90% of what I shoot natively and with uncompromising IQ.
    This is a good point. I don't mind having the one heavier bigger lens but having 3 or 4 than it gets to be a burden. Always think carrying a system not a lens. My thoughts are and I agree with Tre it really is not the weight of this lens which is really not heavy but bulky yes sort of for this system at least. But here is my plan. I figure with a lens like this than the two Batis 25 and 85 which are not that big nor that heavy you can have a nice balance of weight and size in your bag. Its all about the bag to be honest. Your going to be far more fatigued when it comes to the bag and not a lens on you all day. My ultimate system would be a Loxia 18mm, Batis 25, Loxia 50 or the 55mm 1.8, 85 1.8 and my 200mm Minolta at least till something in FE comes out for that length. Thats really a nice kit with nice weight and bulk not to burden me at all when hiking or carrying it around on a gig.

One key thing of this lens is the hood its stupid. Here is what I did you have a couple options. Take two 72mm empty filter rings and screw them on. Your not going to vignette and I have not used a front lens cap in 30 years. I never damaged the front glass. Two you can buy on eBay a metal 72mm screw in hood. I buy from these folks all the time. I have at least 30 hoods here in a box myself

You can buy this and add a 72mm empty filter ring to extend it until you get just before vignetting. Whats this all do, well first a metal hood will handle a drop far better but more important it cuts down that awful size hood that OEMS provide. The ONLY hood EVER in my Life that I used is the Loxia hoods. Now they are great hoods.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Metal-Wi...item2ee0a17c1f

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Couple playing around at 1.4. Handheld