The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Your wish list for A7r II or A9

V

Vivek

Those who are likely to buy one and actually use it :)D ), please list what you want based on your experience with the A7r/A7 and the like.

Mine are simple:

1. Global shutter.
2. Much thinner filter stack on the sensor with minimal epoxy in the optical path.
3. A non plastic, durable mount.
3. Pricing just like in the Japanese market with no price fixing.

BJNY

1) raw file not 11-bit
2) quiet, vibration-less EFC shutter
3) in-body image-stabilization
4) multi-shot capability similar to Olympus EM-5 II

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 7792

1) Quiet, vibration-free shutter (EFC?)
2) Better AF in low light
3) Uncompressed raw file; no in-camera "secret sauce"
4) Better ergonomics (like the a7II grip, shutter release button, etc.)
5) IBIS
6) Simplified menu system
7) Better weather sealing
8) Better battery life

The little tiny customizable buttons on the a7R disturb me. Coming from a DSLR world, it's toy-like. Man up!

Joe

Last edited by a moderator:

soboyle

What Guy said. Fix camera mount to all metal. Shutter vibration problem fixed. Plus a few ergonomic tweaks: a larger grip that allows holding camera with gloves on. Currently the grip is too close to the lens for gloved fingers to fit in between. Maybe the A7II already takes care of that, I haven't used one yet. Bigger C1 button, again for manual focus when using gloves. I'm evaluating camera systems to use on a possible Antarctica project, so usability with gloves is important for me. Not to mention in this never ending record breaking cold winter we are having here in New England.

joe_leads

- losless compressed RAW (why uncompressed?)
- keep the 36 MP (I don't see much value in 50+ MP in 35mm format)
- electronic first curtain
- image stabilisation
- tethered live view in Capture One
- less shutter noise
- shutter button placed more ergonimically

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
What Guy said. Fix camera mount to all metal. Shutter vibration problem fixed. Plus a few ergonomic tweaks: a larger grip that allows holding camera with gloves on. Currently the grip is too close to the lens for gloved fingers to fit in between. Maybe the A7II already takes care of that, I haven't used one yet. Bigger C1 button, again for manual focus when using gloves. I'm evaluating camera systems to use on a possible Antarctica project, so usability with gloves is important for me. Not to mention in this never ending record breaking cold winter we are having here in New England.
I put a product called ? On my function buttons to make them bigger. Works nice with gloves.

Ill find the name . They sell it on Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Sugru-SBW8-Se...?ie=UTF8&qid=1425912676&sr=8-2&keywords=sugra

The Ute

EFC shutter
IBIS
A6000 type autofocus
50+ MP sensor
Ergonomics and layout like the A7II
Excellent trade-in program for old A7r
A winning lottery ticket.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I'm seriously been thinking of selling the A7r and get a second A7II while I wait for the A7r replacement. The A7II is a real pleasure to shoot over the A7r.

iiiNelson

My list is completely directed towards a higher end A9 model which I'm hoping is released.

I actually wouldn't mind a slightly larger and more robust body that gives a similar balance as the current models with the grip attached.

Electronic shutter option for silent shooting up to 1/64,000 because it's all the rage now and if your camera doesn't have it then it sucks apparently.

Increased battery capacity to get maybe up to 500+ shots per battery (this would cover more than a day of shooting for me but maybe not others.)

Increased resolution if it doesn't take away from overall IQ.

More accurate AF and IBIS that performs well in lower light (the A77II and A6000 are a great starting point regarding speed.)

Improved/more accurate focus peaking (although I don't use it much because it's ever so slightly off unless you're on low and sometimes it's hard to see depending on the contrast/highlights of the scene.)

Lossless compressed and uncompressed RAW options (so that I won't have to read about the lack of it anymore.)

A monochrome version because many of us want one but don't want to pay $6-8K for one.

A lowlight version (similar to the A7s) with resolution in the 16-24 megapixel range and comparable/better performance.

Metal lens mounts on all bodies.

A sub $3-4K price for each body or variant.

More fast prime lenses with character (so I can buy them in peace and without judgement.)

More medium speed MF Zeiss Loxia's (or is that Cosina? Who really cares if it performs in a desirable manner?)

More slow prime lenses (so I can stop reading about the lack of them and how owners/ non-owners alike feel cheated/slighted.)

Lastly I want Sony and Zeiss to issue an official statement naming Tamron as majority owner of both... I'm kidding about parts of my list but that's my list and direction I'd like to see the FE system continue to go.

iiiNelson

I'm seriously been thinking of selling the A7r and get a second A7II while I wait for the A7r replacement. The A7II is a real pleasure to shoot over the A7r.
Convert it to FS or IR after the upgraded body is released. It's a great bed for that duty where you probably wouldn't want another IR body anytime soon if ever based on IQ.

V

Vivek

Tre, if we could stick to the topic on hand (and not monochrome, lenses, etc, etc), it would be great. :)

mbroomfield

Mine is largely a cut and paste from some already posted;

raw file not 11-bit
quiet, vibration-less EFC shutter
in-body image-stabilization
Much thinner filter stack on the sensor (similar or better to the mod)
A non plastic, durable mount.
Better ergonomics (like the a7II grip, shutter release button, etc.)
Better weather sealing

I'm a bit conflicted about batteries. While I'd like a 2-3x higher capacity battery I would NOT want it if it adds to the overall size of the camera. As I have about a dozen NEX/A7 batteries it's easy to take extra and it's only seconds to switch them out.

Lastly, 36MP or higher, but only if performance matches or exceeds the A7r for DR and noise at low ISO