The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The Pyramid Burial Lens

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Oh how quickly we forget!! I think this lens is the 1st I ever saw Guy write something about selling the lens over his dead body .. over 10 years ago on FM ....

Except that it's a 200mm F1.8 :)
Had to stop saying that or I would be dead 20 times over by now. My new line is never say never. Lol

jfirneno

I'm addicted to "atmospheric" optics shot wide open.

Previously it was the Zeiss 110/2FE on a Hasselblad 203FE, The Leica R35/1.4 and 85/1.4, the Leica M-75/1.4 ... all of which I increasingly couldn't manually focus as my eyes aged ... GONE.

Then the AF Contax N85/1.4 ... GONE due to Kyocera abandoning photographic gear.

Then it was the AF Canon 85/1.2, 135/2, and 200/1.8 ... GONE due to swapping systems.

Then the AF Hasselblad 100/2.2 which I used for many years, GONE due to leaving system.

I was adrift for a while until recently securing the Leica S-100/2 ... heavenly optic with Mandler OOF and acute IF areas, with a delicious roll off one to the other.

My Pyramid is under construction as I write this. 2,000' square at the base, 5,000' high ... with warrens worthy of a colony of ants ... the end of one which will house a solid gold shrine with the S-100/2 lens inside an ASPH transparent casing being made in Leica's glass foundry.

Any grave robber entering this chamber will be deleted by a custom program being written by Thomas Knoll ... who himself will then be deleted by a program written by an anonymous hacker, who in turn will be exposed to Plutonium poisoning ... ect., etc., etc.

The final safeguard is personal ID firmware Leica is installing that allows only me to take nice pictures with it. Any one else will take nothing but crap shots no matter how good they are.

I plan on using it in the afterlife ... probably to document the 2nd circle of Dante's Hell due to LUSTING after all these lenses.

ABANDON HOPE ALL YE WHO ENTER HERE!

- Marc
Marc:

"So let it be written. So shall it be done."

Good thing we've gone from film to digital. Plutonium is hell on film emulsions.

Your plan sounds reasonable. I'm hoping to have my life story turned into a Spielberg movie. Something like Indiana Jones and the F-Stop of Doom. I want the climax of the movie to involve Indie shouting out "That lens belongs in a museum!" Then something with a whip, a mine car and a very thick neutral density filter.

Lens that I regret selling in the past: Summicron 180/2. Magical this lens is for portrait
Lens that I would never part: The ZM 15. Versatile for travel.

Tim

I'll play.

I have a Zuiko 40mm f2 pancake that I bought new in 1986.
My wife even kept the receipt. Bless her. :salute:

Its a rare lens, no more than 2300 made. Its not amazingly sharp, still quite good stopped down a little, but I love the focal length. Its kind of a one lens answer to those who can't settle on a 35mm or a 40mm. What I do like is the colour rendering and the way it draws (I normally hate that description). The Zuiko 40mm has an undeserved cult following because of its rarity and sells for silly money. Hope I never break or lose mine.

I await my Novoflex Zuiko adapter to try it out on the A7II.

You can bury me with this lens...

PS: The lens attached to the Contax T3 is rather nice as well. Another near 3D image producing Zeiss optic.

jfirneno

Thanks to all who have provided feedback. Your choices have been duly noted and will provide me with food for thought (and possibly more).