The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

a99 w/Sigma 35mm ART or RX1R

Jim DE

Quick question for those who have owned both... I have the opportunity to get a used RX1r with a mild screen scratch roughly for near the price of a new Sigma 35mm ART with a Sigma USB module for Sony. The lens and module is maybe $150 less costly. Will I see much IQ differences between a a99 with the Sigma 35mm ART compared to the RX1R when shooting in the identical conditions.

I have GAS for the RX1/r cameras but it could be nothing more than just that GAS especially if the Sigma 35mm ART images are as good as everyone claims.

I have over 20 A mount lenses and close to a dozen apc E mount lenses but not one 35mm fixed lens in either mount.

iiiNelson

Is having a viewfinder important to you? Do you need a nearly pocketable camera. Both would give excellent results. The light loss of the SLT will be more than compensated with a lens one stop faster. There's no wrong choice just a matter of subjective preference.

Jim DE

Thanks HiredArm so you are saying that the Sigma 35 art on a a99 images will essentially look the same as those from the RX1r.

This is what I need to hear..... if it's a coin toss between the two then I'll go ahead and get the Sigma as I have plenty of bodies (a33, a77, a77II, a99, NEX5, NEX7, DP2m, and even a Hasselblad Stellar RX100 clone). I have to say I have been extremely happy with the images I see from RX1/r's across the web but have not seen many a99/Sig 35mm art images. But that is a lot of money for a fixed focal length P&S camera no matter how good it is..... and IMO it surely is very good.

iiiNelson

Nope. The Sigma has a different signature from the Zeiss lens in the RX1/R. I'm saying you won't be losing light that's inherent in all SLT's. I say try both at a local store if possible. I have a Sigma Art 35 and it's one of the best lenses out there. The draw signature doesn't look like Zeiss though. I'd say it looks more Leica than anything (slightly warm saturated but mostly neutral.)

Jim DE

That is a problem locally.... in order to do a hands on with either setup its a 2.5 hour drive to NYC as no one carries the Sigma 35mm art in sony mount locally and I also have never seen the RX1's in stock either but I have handled this one that is for sale with a scratched screen

iiiNelson

Well I'd say take the RX1 before it's gone. There will be plenty of Sigma's available over time.

V

Vivek

I would second Tre (though I have not used either that you are interested in). I saw a RX1 only recently. Amazingly compact.

Here they still list for over 3000 Euros! Sony never intended to sell them here. :mad:

iiiNelson

I would second Tre (though I have not used either that you are interested in). I saw a RX1 only recently. Amazingly compact.

Here they still list for over 3000 Euros! Sony never intended to sell them here. :mad:
They still sell for full price in America mostly as well Vivek where as most everything else has dropped. If the replacement has a built in EVF I'd consider one for the price they ask but not if it requires I pay $600 for one.

philip_pj

A real David and Goliath dilemma, an a99 and ART 35 is three times the weight and size of the RX1. What do you shoot, what do you want from the camera/lens? I'd be trying to find reasons not to buy the RX1 in your shoes.

Better IQ in a technical sense, no SLT nor AA filter, lovely focus fade, macro, super quiet leaf shutter, immediate shutter response, great lens build, back up camera, great IQ from f2 to f11, no one ever complains that f2 is the max aperture either. Fabulous people lens, no sensor dust ever, maybe the flattest field in 35mm lenses, easy handhold at long s/speeds, stealth when you need it. Do these outweigh the fiddly EVF and perhaps too small size for you, and ability to mount the ART on an eventual better camera?

I am biased and trying to be fair to the very good Sigma. I never do a trip without the RX1 and have no interest in even the latest 35mm Distagons, each of which sells for more than the RX1 these days.

The RX1 is the most polished Sony camera yet, and I wish they made more variants, like a 36Mp one, and a 44x33 medium format version too. I think maybe Sony lost money on them, at their asking price - a true vanity project: 'look what we can do!'.