Site Sponsors
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: 28mm F2 : first sample pictures

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 28mm F2 : first sample pictures

I kind of wonder whether some of the 28/2's distortion profile is intentional in order for it to work better with the UW and FE converters. I don't know much about lens design, but it was a thought.

In any case, I think the resolution you lose in software correction is minimal, so I see it as a very acceptable compromise (vs. higher price, weight, size, that sort of thing!).
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/grahamgibson/
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ggibson View Post
    I kind of wonder whether some of the 28/2's distortion profile is intentional in order for it to work better with the UW and FE converters. I don't know much about lens design, but it was a thought.

In any case, I think the resolution you lose in software correction is minimal, so I see it as a very acceptable compromise (vs. higher price, weight, size, that sort of thing!).
    I've got the UWA arriving this week. Will report on distortion characteristics but that is an interesting theory. There certainly is a healthy amount of native distortion to the 28mm - more than I intially paid attention to but readily apparent when you see the LR profile applied. I was more concerned with the overall character of the lens and nothing has changed my mind there.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I had bad luck with mine, arrived a few days back, it is badly decentered and is going back home. No replacement is available at the moment so I decided to wait for the 25/2 Batis, not exaclty the same focal lenght....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Show Performance View Post
    I've got the UWA arriving this week. Will report on distortion characteristics but that is an interesting theory. There certainly is a healthy amount of native distortion to the 28mm - more than I intially paid attention to but readily apparent when you see the LR profile applied. I was more concerned with the overall character of the lens and nothing has changed my mind there.
    I have found the in-built ditortion correction insufficient. With the Adobe profile applied is ok.

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

With C1 Pro 8.x I find that the distortion of the 28/2 is automatically corrected for using the manufacturer's profile. I got mine last week along with the fisheye adapter.

I was very impressed actually overall although the fisheye adapter does appear to be built from depleted Uranium or Lead because it dwarfs the 28/2 in terms of size and weight.

I'm in the middle of a Balkan trip and thought that I'd bring the 28/2, UWA and fisheye adapters along with my 24-240 as a travel combo. In the end I left the 28mm at home and brought along the 16-35/4 and 24-240 lenses with my A7II. The 16-35 was actually lighter than the prime/adapter sets and it's a superb lens.
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

As Oscar Wilde said, "my tastes are simple, I only like the best"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamWelland View Post
    With C1 Pro 8.x I find that the distortion of the 28/2 is automatically corrected for using the manufacturer's profile. I got mine last week along with the fisheye adapter.
    The "Manufacturer's Profile" in C1 Pro 8. Anyone know where these profiles come from? Is Sony actually providing a custom lens profile for use in C1 Pro 8? I do notice that there are still a small number of custom profiles for certain Sony lenses that are created by Phase One.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I assumed that it was embedded by the camera/lens in the raw file since they already correct it for jpgs in camera.

Post Thanks / Like

It is embedded in the exif and it is recognized and used both by CO and by Lr even if not with the same resulting correction in my opinion. I found that while in CO the distortion correction is almost perfect, this is not the case with Lr. On the other end in Lr there is also an Adobe profile for the lens which works much better.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ario Arioldi View Post
    It is embedded in the exif and it is recognized and used both by CO and by Lr even if not with the same resulting correction in my opinion. I found that while in CO the distortion correction is almost perfect, this is not the case with Lr. On the other end in Lr there is also an Adobe profile for the lens which works much better.
    Thanks. Very interesting. It's really pathetic how slow Phase One is in developing custom lens profiles for the Sony FE lenses.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

To be fair, the 28/2 hasn't been around for very long. Also, the profile is embedded so why the "rush" anyways given how well it is corrected.

I'm tempted to believe that Sony know the lens characteristics better than Phase One ever will after the fact.
    Last edited by GrahamWelland; 22nd May 2015 at 17:38.