The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

28mm F2 : first sample pictures

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Well this lens just changed my order for the 35 1.4 . I figured get this 28mm for the AF PR stuff and for 35mm I just ordered the Loxia 35mm F2. Given the manual focus abilities I can still use it for PR but more my all around body cap. I don't mind having manual focus at all. I may order its 50mm bother too.

What this would give me as I said before the widest AF lens in the F2 over my 16-35 which I do run into low light issues. The 35 1.4 if I change my mind I can get down the road.

Hard choices but dropping 1700 on the 35 1.4 right now when I can get basically two lenses just makes more sense. I hate being logical. Lol

Good news I can always slap the 28 f2 into crop mode. I do that stuff a lot on PR gigs. I rarely need a big file for it.

Guy Mancuso

Btw this is why these threads work for us. Is we get to see what something does and how it makes good buying decision. So thanks to the posters of this lens it helped me decide.

V

Vivek

Hard choices but dropping 1700 on the 35 1.4 right now when I can get basically two lenses just makes more sense. I hate being logical. Lol
You wouldn't believe it- it is only 1399 Euros (and available) here! :eek:

OK, scratch that! They changed the figures in a day and it is now 1699 Euros. :(

Guy Mancuso

Lol yea it's not a inexpensive lens. I figure I can always get one down the road if I don't like the Loxia. Which from what I have seen it looks pretty nice. If the Mitakon sells I may just jump on the Loxia 50mm. I like the Loxias mechanics or better said the build and focusing.

iiiNelson

The Loxia's are all supposed to have a common 52mm filter size and 180 degree focus throw between all 5 as well. Which will probably mean smaller apertures on the wide and telephoto sides if that's the case still.

I can't lie about the 50 Loxia being very tempting though.

Guy Mancuso

I always liked Zeiss glass and had them in many variations . I like the color saturation, contrast and mostly like the build quality. One more important thing is I never meet a Zeiss lens I could not manually focus very well.

V

Vivek

The Loxia's are all supposed to have a common 52mm filter size and 180 degree focus throw between all 5 as well. Which will probably mean smaller apertures on the wide and telephoto sides if that's the case still.
If they stick to their old ways, yes. Given the Sony FE 28/2 is only 49mm filter with excellent AF, they should be able to make f/2 primes (wide and tele) with 46mm filter. ;)

iiiNelson

If they stick to their old ways, yes. Given the Sony FE 28/2 is only 49mm filter with excellent AF, they should be able to make f/2 primes (wide and tele) with 46mm filter. ;)
True but the 55FE also has a 49mm filter thread and f/1.8 aperture. The 35/2.8 may as well but I've sold mine some time ago because it was too slow and sterile for me.

Perhaps you're correct though and I can live with f/2 (or even f/2.5 if it performs well wide open) lenses. I won't buy many lenses slower than that personally except for special uses like the f/4 zooms or T/S if they ever come.

iiiNelson

I always liked Zeiss glass and had them in many variations . I like the color saturation, contrast and mostly like the build quality. One more important thing is I never meet a Zeiss lens I could not manually focus very well.
Yeah. The ZM50 Planar and the Leica 35 Cron ASPH were my favorite 2 lenses in the M and I even owned the 50 Lux ASPH FLE. I actually preferred the rendering of the 50/1.5 C-Sonnar to the 50 Lux but didn't wanna deal with focus shift on an M. So I tend to agree with you that when Zeiss gets it right then they make some of the best lenses out there on any system. I'm hoping for a 21 or 25 and maybe something in the 75-100 range.

Guy Mancuso

I did not get along with the 35 2.8 either. Some like it but it just did not blend well with me.

One thing I'm trying to do here is get native glass. Now I have the 16-35, 35 f2 , Mitikan 50 all in the same FE mount. I love the Za851.4 A lens but I'm have thoughts of a Leica 90mm sell the 851.4 and getting the 70-200 zoom as well. Gives me a full set of FE glass. Than I have a creative set for other things.

Forgot to add the 28 f2 which I will order now. I do that than I could just glue the Lae4 to my Minolta 200mm. The 85 and adapter is a very slow AF lens. The reality is I shoot it mostly in manual mode

iiiNelson

Yeah me either. I thought it was me but I tried other copies and pretty much came away with the same feeling - it's not offensive in rendering and I'd go so far to say that it's very good in good light... I just can't afford to stop down to get acceptable (to my taste) results in lower light where I'm already shooting ISO 800-3200.

iiiNelson

Good call! :)
Yeah but I do still love the 55FE... This lens actually got me thinking about getting it as a lighter walk around pair for daytime shots. The 35 Distagon is already on order but this may pair well with the 55. Glad to read the 28 doesn't exhibit IR hotspots as well.

V

Vivek

Glad to read the 28 doesn't exhibit IR hotspots as well.
I can confirm it. :) Shot with a NEX-C3 (that is the converted one I had at hand), Heliopan RG780. Shot well stopped down to check for spots. Also, no distortion corrections were applied (APS-C).

Untitled by Vivek Iyer, on Flickr
Hacked NEX-C3, Sony FE 28/2, f/10, ISO1600, 1/400s

Guy Mancuso

Vivek nice shot. I pulled your image down just to see what kind of distortion is going on and it looks to be fairly simple barrel which is a easy fix.

In PS here was the correction.

Than crop in to get it in proper look and I say it looks dang good. Look how nice and straight your building is on the right and the little building on the left.

Hope you don't mind me working your image but was very curious on the distortion front.

V

Vivek

No worries, Guy. :)

Yeah, simple barrel (in full frame as well).

Hope you get your hands on one of these soon. :)

Guy Mancuso

Thanks me too. It will be a very handy lens to have in the bag. There saying May 5th but maybe I will do the Asia routine as I could get it sooner

iiiNelson

Yeah... decisions... Maybe if I sell the Sigma Art I could fund this... I don't REALLY need 2 fast 35's.

anGy

I also would like to invest in some loxia, 28mm, etc but with the Sony next to come new bodies I just don't know. Imagine the new pro body is near perfect but in FA mount !
Most of us will be teased by an Exmor 50mp with strong AF and mirrorless pro body...
For once I'll try to have a bit of patience.