Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: 28mm F2 : first sample pictures

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

28mm F2 : first sample pictures

There is a first review of the 28mm FE here.

It is written in an exotic language, but there are several samples pictures, including brick walls showing the sharpness in the corners and a lot of other "real life" pictures. There are also several pictures taken with the two converters. The pics were shot on an A7II and the lens may not be too bad.

Sonyalpharumors has a translation of the conclusion :

Pros:
    – Very sharp straight from the maximum aperture. At f/2.0 is sharp almost ont he entire frame (with very little loss on corners)
    – Negligible distortion
    – Very compact lens
    – When using the converter EXIF data gets correctly transmitted

Disadvantages
    – close focus point could be…closer
    – The fisheye converter on the 28mm lens is quite heavy
    – Not really a very good bokeh (but that’s something the lens is not designed for)

Good start.. But let us see more reviews before getting too excited.
    Last edited by Annna T; 11th March 2015 at 00:50.
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 28mm F2 : first sample pictures

Looking at the cat shot, it looks to me like the minimum focus distance is actually pretty close.

Seems to be a pretty decent little lens by the looks of it! I think the bokeh looks pretty nice in most shots. Not sure if it'll find a place in my bag between the 16-35 and 55, but it looks like a good option for the system.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ggibson View Post
    Looking at the cat shot, it looks to me like the minimum focus distance is actually pretty close.

Seems to be a pretty decent little lens by the looks of it! I think the bokeh looks pretty nice in most shots. Not sure if it'll find a place in my bag between the 16-35 and 55, but it looks like a good option for the system.
    I thought that the cat shot was rather soft.. May be because he was too near, hence this comment. But the bricks shot look sharp. I'm tempted by this lens if more serious reviewers (DXO, Photozone, LensTip, etc.) confirm that. I do also have the 16-35mm, but Óm not sure it was a good buy for me : from 24mm to 35mm my copy of the 24-70mm does better and i'm not an ultrawide shooter. Plus it isn't light. I love the 55mm and paired with that 28mm plus either the Tamron 90mm F2.8 or the Contax G 90mm it would make a great light system..
    But i'm not in a hurry, i will wait for more info.

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Looks promising so far. Just the kind of lens that I would buy for the A7... if I had one

But that fisheye converter... as large, heavy and expensive as a separate fisheye lens more or less. The exotic language is Thai. Not so exotic where I live
    Things I sell: https://www.shutterstock.com/g/epixx?language=en
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I agree Jorgen -- it is smallish in size and fastish in aperture and appears very good optically wide open down. A nice street compliment to the Mitakon 50

The adapter/converters didn't do much for me though.
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm pre-ordered so will do the obligatory posts as soon as it is released. Working to get an evaluation copy but I don't think there are any copies in the states yet.

Post Thanks / Like

Good test shots which show A7 issues are so easy to make and yet always so hard to find. For landscape work it's impossible to judge the lens at all from those shots.

Nevertheless, it's not that expensive, and if I was shooting a stock A7 of any flavor, I would order the lens.

Just for sake of comparison here is the Leica 28/2 on A7.mod:

art shed by unoh7, on Flickr

Above at around f/8 below WO:

DSC03226 by unoh7, on Flickr

and here around f/4:

DSC03264 by unoh7, on Flickr

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    I agree Jorgen -- it is smallish in size and fastish in aperture and appears very good optically wide open down. A nice street compliment to the Mitakon 50

The adapter/converters didn't do much for me though.
    Yes, the 21mm exhibits very soft corners.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Annna T View Post
    [I]Pros:
    – Negligible distortion
    The distortion on this lens is quite pronounced. Wait for RAW files.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Show Performance View Post
    I'm pre-ordered so will do the obligatory posts as soon as it is released. Working to get an evaluation copy but I don't think there are any copies in the states yet.
    Isn't that interesting? They are being sold in Asia already.

Post Thanks / Like

I got mine in 2 days from T-dimensions from HK since the US shipments are still 1.5 months away. I used them before eg they paid even the return for misaligned P&S camera after some e-mail correspondence. So I took my chance esp there is no OSS on this lens. So far so good...

She was hiding from me, but I found her under the bed

Lighting wasn't the best after work/dinner, but here are some shots:

And we found where the town is hiding the dead snowmen:

It is a sharp, small lens, but there is a good amount of distortion that needs to be corrected and the lightroom profile is not available yet. This is the first Sony prime that I have that needs distortion correction which might explain the price point. I was expecting maybe a little less, since it comes with the wide angle and fisheye attachments. Good side of distortion is that it might be wider then 28mm before corrections.
    Likes 9 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for sharing your images and thoughts.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I agree, thank you. I am considering this lens.
    Do you have anything that shows the mentioned distortion? A plain brick wall, with straight lines for example.
    Gary

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Serhan, Could you show a picture of this lens (mounted on a cam or on its own) with its hood (apparently it comes with a hood!)? TIA!

Post Thanks / Like

Here is raw files for distortion and IQ:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/8tsks7us6o5mcwy/1.zip?dl=0

Quote Originally Posted by Gbealnz View Post
    Yes, I agree, thank you. I am considering this lens.
    Do you have anything that shows the mentioned distortion? A plain brick wall, with straight lines for example.
    Gary

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thank you for the raw files! Looking at them in ACR, the lens seems to exhibit the worst barrel distortion I've ever seen from a moderate WA prime. I'm assuming that the gray band of tiles is supposed to be rendered straight. One wonders what effect correction of this magnitude will have on sharpness and microcontrast.
    The high level of vignetting, even at f8, is also surprising and disappointing.
    On a positive note, the (uncorrected) sharpness seems good, even to the edges and stopped down quite acceptable in the corners. I do feel there is some shutter shock evident at 1/60 exposures that degrades the resolution, but that is only related to the A7r body of course.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by serhan View Post
    Here is raw files for distortion and IQ:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/8tsks7us6o5mcwy/1.zip?dl=0
    Thank you again Serhan. I looked at the download, but baulked at the 210Mb file.
    At the expense of being a pain, could you simply post (here is as good as any) a JPEG of the RAW.
    I'm still considering this lens, the ability to marry it with the likes of the 55 is appealing.
    Gary

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Arne Hvaring View Post
    Thank you for the raw files! Looking at them in ACR, the lens seems to exhibit the worst barrel distortion I've ever seen from a moderate WA prime. I'm assuming that the gray band of tiles is supposed to be rendered straight. One wonders what effect correction of this magnitude will have on sharpness and microcontrast.
    The high level of vignetting, even at f8, is also surprising and disappointing.
    On a positive note, the (uncorrected) sharpness seems good, even to the edges and stopped down quite acceptable in the corners. I do feel there is some shutter shock evident at 1/60 exposures that degrades the resolution, but that is only related to the A7r body of course.
    Look at the positive side; you won't need that fisheye converter

Sharpness seems fine even at f/2.0 (except from the extreme corners, but it's a $500, 200g lens), and much better than my old Nikkor AiS 2.0, but that was to be expected I suppose. It will be interesting to look at these file when ACR has been updated with correct correction algorithms.
    Last edited by Jorgen Udvang; 17th March 2015 at 15:06.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    Look at the positive side; you won't need that fisheye converter
    I wonder how many will buy the WA/fish converters. They look bulky and heavy.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    Serhan, Could you show a picture of this lens (mounted on a cam or on its own) with its hood (apparently it comes with a hood!)? TIA!
    Found it!

After a bit of search, I found that it is ALC-SH112. The very one that is the hood for the NEX's kit zoom 18-55 lens!

(Replacement costs $2.25/shipped from China)

Post Thanks / Like

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6uvni7ajvd5p9lt/2.zip?dl=0

I attached the jpg from the camera and the raw converted directly in PS6. Distortion is there, but I am guessing it is similar to the m43 primes that I have incl the PanaLeica ones...

Here is the lens on the camera from google search:

It fit into my raincoat pocket.

Also some bokeh samples from FM link:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/harryy...57651341978751

Quote Originally Posted by Gbealnz View Post
    Thank you again Serhan. I looked at the download, but baulked at the 210Mb file.
    At the expense of being a pain, could you simply post (here is as good as any) a JPEG of the RAW.
    I'm still considering this lens, the ability to marry it with the likes of the 55 is appealing.
    Gary

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you yet again Serhan, I appreciate this.
    Wow, that is some distortion, like Vivek says, no need for the fish-eye convertor.
    But cleaned up it looks fine. Certainly at the price point, it's hard to beat.
    Gary

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Serhan,
    Is the file named "DSC02759-not edited" the jpeg file as it looks straight out of the camera? If that is the case, is the distortion visible in the same manner in the viewfinder as well?

Post Thanks / Like

That is raw file unedited from PS to show distortion. Camera profile is there like m43, so the distortion is corrected in jpg / evf. LR/PS profile is not there yet. I prefer to do it manual correction when it is needed unlike auto m43 corrections...

Serhan,
    Is the file named "DSC02759-not edited" the jpeg file as it looks straight out of the camera? If that is the case, is the distortion visible in the same manner in the viewfinder as well?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

That is raw file unedited from PS to show distortion. Camera profile is there like m43, so the distortion is corrected in jpg / evf. LR/PS profile is not there yet. I prefer to do it manual correction when it is needed unlike auto m43 corrections...
    Ok, thanks.

I did some manual distortion removal, and obviously, one loses the corners, which isn't too bad since they aren't very sharp at large apertures anyway. It does make it more of a 30mm or thereabouts lens, but at the price, size and weight, this seems to be very good value. When second hand A7R bodies drop below $500, this is certainly something to consider

Post Thanks / Like

It is most probably 25-26mm lens... RX1 is similar eg it has uncorrected 32mm lens.

Here is an interesting size comparison, Loxia 35mm f2 (comparable to Sony 28mm in size) vs 35mm 2.8 vs 1.4:
    Loxia 35mm f2 size: 2.44 x 2.33" (62.1 x 59.2 mm) 11.99 oz (340 g)
    Sony 28mm f2 size: 2.52 x 2.36" (64.01 x 59.94 mm) 7.05 oz (200 g)

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It is most probably 25-26mm lens... RX1 is similar eg it has uncorrected 32mm lens.
    Similar to the Pana 7-14. That zoom is even wider uncorrected.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Ok, thanks.

I did some manual distortion removal, and obviously, one loses the corners, which isn't too bad since they aren't very sharp at large apertures anyway. It does make it more of a 30mm or thereabouts lens, but at the price, size and weight, this seems to be very good value. When second hand A7R bodies drop below $500, this is certainly something to consider
    From size and weight that looks like a very nice 28mm, but personally I would have preferred to get an F2.8 aperture with distorsion optically better corrected. I don't understand all this rage for faster apertures : given the sensor IQ we have nowadays and the fact that wa aren't the focal ranges to look for if you want bokey that would have been a better compromise. May be that I will wait to see what Zeiss will offer as wa in the Loxia series. Zeiss had a reputation to care more for low distorsion than for bokey and that suits me (for instance with the Contax G lenses)

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Zeiss had a reputation to care more for low distorsion than for bokey and that suits me (for instance with the Contax G lenses)
    They had (at some point). Their reputation and standards are all over the place nowadays just like their blue label.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

From size and weight that looks like a very nice 28mm, but personally I would have preferred to get an F2.8 aperture with distorsion optically better corrected. I don't understand all this rage for faster apertures : given the sensor IQ we have nowadays and the fact that wa aren't the focal ranges to look for if you want bokey that would have been a better compromise. May be that I will wait to see what Zeiss will offer as wa in the Loxia series. Zeiss had a reputation to care more for low distorsion than for bokey and that suits me (for instance with the Contax G lenses)
    The "rage" is that some people like to shoot as as low of an ISO as possible. Some people regularly shoot in lower light conditions. One can always stop down. One can't always use flash either. It's just a matter of preference though. Neither is wrong.

Personally I refuse to buy any lens (especially a prime) that's not f/2 or faster for general purposes. Slower lenses are fine for tripod duty. Some just want a more specialized tool in the bag for when the time calls. Nothing more. Nothing less.
    Last edited by iiiNelson; 18th March 2015 at 11:31.
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Totally agree. Also sometimes you run into a major shutter speed issue and your already at the max. ISO you want to shoot. Ibis don't work on moving people but faster shutter speeds do. As a Pro I want at least 2 lenses in my bag that can do at least F2 one mid wide one longer 75 or above. I also love 35mm FOV so I have to have F2 or faster.

Although I was thinking just buy the Loxia 35 and 50 instead of the 35 1.4 and 55 1.8
    In still chewing on that as overall it is a little cheaper to do the two Loxia instead
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I need to sell my Canon 24 TSe and Mitikon to make those moves
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder what Zeiss will do on the wide side w/ lots of biogon designs on rf's vs bigger distagons on the dslrs, but it will not be cheap as this. So far they are adopting the older designs with higher pricing to recoup that revisions...

More samples/reviews:
    in_windows: SONY SEL FE 28 F2.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/kelvin...57649006254463
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I wonder what Zeiss will do on the wide side w/ lots of biogon designs on rf's vs bigger distagons on the dslrs, but it will not be cheap as this. So far they are adopting the older designs with higher pricing to recoup that revisions...

More samples/reviews:

Thanks for the links.

There is finally a picture of the lens with its hood!

One more thing- I like the boket.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Just got the lens on loan from Sony (along with the 35/1.4)

A handful of test shots around the house and I am sold. This is a more than worthy successor to the Minolta AF 28/2. Very sharp, nice bokeh for a 28mm and great color. All at f/2, except the second photo at f/5.6 on the A7s - developed from RAW in LR - no profile or distortion correction.

I'll be using it extensively at SXSW this week so much more to come.

Oh, the 35/1.4 is a knockout as well...

Last edited by Show Performance; 18th March 2015 at 14:56.
    Likes 11 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Nice shots! I really like the look.

Found another quick review from someone using it on the NEX-6:

Review of Sony FE 28mm f2 (E mount) by Dr-F0x on DeviantArt
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/grahamgibson/

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

For the money even with the distortion it's a nice looking lens. Small and has AF. Not much to complain about at all. Good on Sony

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here is my interest in the lens and for owners of the 16-35 and even though we have a good 28 on the zoom it's still a F4 lens so picking up 2 stops of light can be really helpful for a lot of situations. Here is the bonus it's the only wide AF lens too that's faster than F4

Something to be said about this and should be a hot seller.

Post Thanks / Like

Another review with positive things to say - some tests and impressions along with the corresponding sample pics. background blur

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

More samples/reviews:

Hopefully they won't use the Biogon design for wider lenses. At 35mm it isn't entirely satisfying in the corners from the reviews I have seen. I can't imagine what it would be at 28, 24 or 21mm if they reuse the old Biogon design.

Post Thanks / Like

Last edited by serhan; 19th March 2015 at 18:26.

Post Thanks / Like

Hopefully they won't use the Biogon design for wider lenses. At 35mm it isn't entirely satisfying in the corners from the reviews I have seen. I can't imagine what it would be at 28, 24 or 21mm if they reuse the old Biogon design.
    Actually the latest Zeiss release in the RF camp is the 35mm/1.4, Distagon design, excellent lens, among the best 35mm I ever used.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

How does that fare on your A7 cams, Ario? TIA!

Post Thanks / Like

I have used it mainly on a Kolarivision modified A7 and in my opinion works beautifully.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Awesome! I am considering that and/or the new Ultron from Cosina.

Post Thanks / Like

Sony has priced this 28mm f2 well too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ario Arioldi View Post
    Actually the latest Zeiss release in the RF camp is the 35mm/1.4, Distagon design, excellent lens, among the best 35mm I ever used.
    I was thinking more to the new Loxia line where the 35mm is a Biogon. I'm not interested in the 35mm F1.4 Distagon : I don't need the fast aperture which makes it a real monster lens.

Also focals lying between 35mm and 55mm in my mind are rather standard ones. Wide angle IMO truly starts at 28mm and below.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I was thinking more to the new Loxia line where the 35mm is a Biogon. I'm not interested in the 35mm F1.4 Distagon : I don't need the fast aperture which makes it a real monster lens.

Also focals lying between 35mm and 55mm in my mind are rather standard ones. Wide angle IMO truly starts at 28mm and below.
    The ZM version is not that big.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Show Performance View Post
    Just got the lens on loan from Sony (along with the 35/1.4)

A handful of test shots around the house and I am sold. This is a more than worthy successor to the Minolta AF 28/2. Very sharp, nice bokeh for a 28mm and great color. All at f/2, except the second photo at f/5.6 on the A7s - developed from RAW in LR - no profile or distortion correction.

I'll be using it extensively at SXSW this week so much more to come.

Oh, the 35/1.4 is a knockout as well...
    SP:
    That is great to hear. I've got a pre-order for the 28mm and the 35mm. Can't wait to see any other photos you care to share from either of these lenses.
    Regards,
    John
    Sony fanboy, shamelessly shilling for "the man" since 2010.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Michiel Schierbeek View Post
    The ZM version is not that big.
    Good to know.. thank you.