The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

What are they thinking?

Slingers

I received a F20M flash today in the mail and I noticed the locking mechanism is a more traditional screw lock. I also have a F43M flash and it has a confusing lever lock. It got me thinking about all the differences and made me wonder what are they thinking?

I have a NEX-7 and an A7S and if I compare the two, there are two major differences. One is the hotshoe and the other is the menu system. I'm all for the changes to the menu and hope more can be done but i guess i was lucky the battery didn't change to more match the A mount as well.

I have 3 Sony lenses, the 35/2.8, 55/1.8, and the 70-200/4. Even here there is a slight difference. The 35 has that strange hood with a lens cap that feels a little too small. The 35 was the only lens that didn't have a pouch.

Looking forward at the new lenses now there is now an aperture ring, only two them have ddssm, and different ways of switching to manual focus. Since the hotshoe and FE lenses are both a new system I wonder why they didn't make the whole range cohesive and intuitive for a user.

In the end does it matter, no I don't think it does. Especially when it involves new features being added and improvements on bad designs being made. But I do wish it was more of a system that didn't feel so alien with every purchase.

V

Vivek

I have 3 Sony lenses, the 35/2.8, 55/1.8, and the 70-200/4. Even here there is a slight difference. The 35 has that strange hood with a lens cap that feels a little too small. The 35 was the only lens that didn't have a pouch.
I can explain the pouch. Only delivered with the real "Zeiss" labelled lenses. :D

I have a NEX-7 and an A7S and if I compare the two, there are two major differences. One is the hotshoe and the other is the menu system.
What isn't noticeable but crucial is the plastic ring in the mount (NEX-7) vs the metal mount A7s.

In the end does it matter, no I don't think it does.
If a few more support that notion, they will come with a new mount! :lecture:

V

Vivek

I found one interesting thing.

Zony 35/2.8 7 bladed aperture.

Zony 55/1.8 9 bladed aperture.

The new Sony 28/2 9 bladed aperture.

So, it is not just the pouch that is lacking. ;)