The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A7rII

V

Vivek

Of course individual expectations aren't Sony's fault ...

You can not be serious! They bloody encouraged these expectations by offering an adapter of choice (that included a Leica M adapter) in some areas.

They also expressly advertise for "palm sized" cameras.

What is the point in offering truck sized lenses to go with that?

fotografz

You can not be serious! They bloody encouraged these expectations by offering an adapter of choice (that included a Leica M adapter) in some areas.

They also expressly advertise for "palm sized" cameras.

What is the point in offering truck sized lenses to go with that?
Point taken. I was just "half seriously" trying to give them the benefit of doubt.

Essentially, I agree with you.

- Marc

iiiNelson

Marc I hope they also release an A-Mount "super camera" as well. There are many like you who are still primarily DSLR invested a lot of money into lenses, flashes, accessories, bodies, etc. from a system standpoint and I don't think going the adapter mount for an "A-mount solution" is the best way forward for Sony just as it wasn't the most elegant "R-solution for Leica."

I have a ZA135/1.8 and a Sigma Art 35/1.4 that would fit nicely on an A-mount camera should they produce one and I get a DSLR itch.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
My issue is I do hope they come out with a new A body but not sure I want to go back to a DSLR myself. As we keep talking about the E series over time and a lot of disgruntled talk about the A7r I just look at the fun thread and look at what folks have shot with it and all that talk just fades away. My last workshop I killed it with images from the A7r but than I hit issues in the studio with it. Vertical shots with strobes would only clearly sync at ISO 100 with the 85 1.4 and adapter. I think the translucent mirror was getting in the way.

Seriously without this announcement I was thinking of selling it and get another A7MKII. And just wait it out but as you can see I'm torn on the A7r as its great on one hand but needs a update to fix some of the issues. I. Staying in the E camp unless they blow the doors off with a A model. But I really don't want to go back to a full size body. Lenses I don't give a rats *** how big they are as long as they perform. Sure smaller size I won't turn down but I know the limits and physical restrictions on fast glass.

Right now I'm more fixated on doing my hobby more and that's play more golf. Lol

V

Vivek

Has anyone bought the powerzoom offered by SOny? Apparently it is a stunning performer. :)

iiiNelson

Nope I haven't but I've heard the same. I don't like Powerzooms (in my admittedly limited experience) but I'm also not interested in video.

Regarding all the comments though I would gather to say that many of us are using the FE cameras for vastly different uses to attempt to cover our various needs. Some of us are mostly satisfied. Most are on the fence. Still others have completely abandoned it and found a better alternative in other cameras. Choice is great and there are really no perfect cameras - but most are pretty good these days. Some are just better fits for each photographer.

Ulfric Douglas

I see the upcoming A7RMkII as an important development : this will be the first properly stabilised 36mpx camera with the potential to make more use of those 36mpx than any before, due to that stabilisation : and for all lenses.
A7 and A7S are not so needy for stills as their mpx count is lower.
(A stabilised A7S will be the video monster ...)

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Has anyone bought the powerzoom offered by SOny? Apparently it is a stunning performer. :)
It's a lens I would love to have for a video project I have coming up (in combination with an A7s II featuring in-body 4K recording :D ), one of the key features being that it's parfocal (focus doesn't change while zooming). Unfortunately, some users seem to have issues with zoom speed and precision, the latter also when zooming manually (it's all fly-by-wire), but that was more or less to be expected. It's only a fraction (less than 10%) of the price of comparable cine lenses :eek:

Nice review here btw.:

https://vimeo.com/119742436

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
which is good at the same time = more people will get a taste of FE...
That's not how markets work. Prices are low because there are too few buyers. Compare the second hand prices of the A7 to those of the 7 years old A900, and there seems to be more interest in the DSLR with higher prices and fewer sellers.