The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The eagle has landed!

V

Vivek

Finally!

Untitled by Vivek Iyer, on Flickr
A7s, Sony FE 28/2, f/2, Speed priority continuos capture (one of dozen or so shots).
Against the sun to the boot!

With 3 A7 cams, this is my first FE lens. Naturally, I am excited. :)

It is an awesome lens! :thumbs:

pegelli

Congrats on the lens Vivek.

I didn't know your son could fly, it's probably some magic in his genie colored shoes and sweater ;)

jfirneno

Finally!

A7s, Sony FE 28/2, f/2, Speed priority continuos capture (one of dozen or so shots).[/SIZE]
Against the sun to the boot!

With 3 A7 cams, this is my first FE lens. Naturally, I am excited. :)

It is an awesome lens! :thumbs:
Congratulations. I know that you will put it to very good use and await your photos and opinion on its characteristics.

Eoin

I am more than curious about your opinion on this lens ... please give some more insight as you get to know it.

iiiNelson

Nice... Congrats... I'm not normally a 28mm guy but I may give this a try for the price. Oh and maybe that 28FE will pair well with the 55FE... Just saying.

V

Vivek

Thanks a bunch folks! :)

I took it out for a spin and ended up using the A7s most of the time (only a few shots with the A7r).

The refreshing feeling is with the flare control. It is a very sharp lens and quite contrasty.

This was shot against sun.

A7s, FE 28/2, f/9, ISO640, 1/250, Matrix metering, +1.3 eV, DRO Auto, AF (multi).

I overexposed and adjusted it in the post (to take advantage of the camera's feature).

Infinity shots, not so nice.

A7s, f/7.1, ISO500, AF

Reason is the huge distortion that also messes up the perspective. Distortion and perspective corrected to get the horizon nearly level and flat.

The bokeh is wonderful! :thumbs:

A7s, FE 28/2, f/2.8, ISO500, 1/800s, Manually focused. ~0.8m distance.

I left the hood back. That was a mistake. Although the hood will do little (if anything) for flare and such, it will keep your finger grease off of the front element which is flat and very exposed.

So, keep the hood on all the time.

The lens isn't as small as I would like (!) but makes a good fit on the A7 cams. It is light. All the claims about this being "full metal" is BS. Build quality is exactly like the 50/1.8 OSS. Plastic with micron thick metal covering (how can it be lightweight and cheap if it isn't?). So, that fact alone rules out any use of the heavy and aweful converters for me.

The AF is quite fast (A7r) in good light. It is awesome on the A7s even in dim/poor light. AF is also very quiet. :thumbs:

Preliminary check (have to do it more thoroughly) indicates that it will do well for Infrared captures as well. :thumbup:

Overall, I am happy that I bought it. :)

PS: I put all the pics here in color deliberately. In B&W, a lot of manipulations can be done to taste.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Converters are really not for most folks on this forum anyway. I personally would never use a converter but that's me.

iiiNelson

Converters are really not for most folks on this forum anyway. I personally would never use a converter but that's me.
I generally agree but if it performs I've learned to never say never with the flexibility of being able to attach just about anything to the FE cameras.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I never say never that's for sure. Given how much glass I bought over the years I could own a factory full. Lol

iiiNelson

Yeah... I might have to scrounge up $500 for this too... Already planning on having the 90 Macro as well.

V

Vivek

One shot with the A7r. By this time, I think the front element was covered with finger grease. :eek: I think it is sharper on the A7r (will have to check that properly).

A7r, Sony FE 28/2, f/6.3, 1/500s, ISO500. AF.

V

Vivek

Kitchen sink close up! :D

The lens works fine with the AF extension tubes- no troublesome vignetting. Here is a snap with a 10mm extension (A7s).

turtle

Good to see you enjoying your first FE lens! So far I have been very impressed with the out of focus areas with this lens. I have a feeling it will do a very good job for B&W work too. It is sharp, but kinda gentle with it.

Viramati

Vivek. Is this lens already available in Holland or did you get from so far Easten source?

Last edited:
V

Vivek

David, From HK. Serhan's post inspired me. :)

Turtle, You are correct, It will do quite well for B&W as well.

Thanks again, folks. You have been very kind. :)