Site Sponsors

Thread: Wanted: Compact f2 FE primes

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Arrow Wanted: Compact f2 FE primes

Given how wonderful the Sony FE 28/2 is, I would like to have a set of compact primes-21/2, 24/2, 35/2, 50/2 and 85/2 (preferably with NO blue label).

I am not a Nikon user like Jorgen but I think the point he raised in one of the threads was fully valid.

If anyone has contacts at Sony, please, urge them to pay attention.
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 10 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Wanted: Compact f2 FE primes

Yes sonicrons.

Did you try the 35mm f/2.8?
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ken_vs_ryu View Post
    Sony nailed that one, right down to the minuscule domed lens shade. Only minor quibble is the stock lens cap which is just too fiddly.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ken_vs_ryu View Post

Very briefly. No interest. They can ship it to Oberkochen.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    Given how wonderful the Sony FE 28/2 is, I would like to have a set of compact primes-21/2, 24/2, 35/2, 50/2 and 85/2 (preferably with NO blue label).

I am not a Nikon user like Jorgen but I think the point he raised in one of the threads was fully valid.

If anyone has contacts at Sony, please, urge them to pay attention.
    I fully agree with the need of compact AF lenses for the FE series. But I think that @ F2 the 21 and 24mm can't remain very compact; I'd be happy with F2.8 for the wide angles. I prefer a 90mm F2.8 for the short tele and I'd also like a 135mm between F2.8 and F4.
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Very briefly. No interest. They can ship it to Oberkochen.
    Do you think that a 35mm F2 would be very different ? and why ?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Annna T View Post
    But I think that @ F2 the 21 and 24mm can't remain very compact;
    I do not think so. The E 24/1.8 (without the rear baffle and trimming a bit of the front plastic) almost covers the FF already. Making it f/2 with a wider arae coverage will not make it larger. If you look at the lens design of the 28/2 (also the E 24/1.8) it bears no resemblance to Zeiss' old Biogon, Planar, etc.

Also, check out the new designs of Panasonic (albeit for a very small area but the lenses are also very small and light) whom I think are a real tour de force in modern optics.

Post Thanks / Like

Personally, I think the 35/2.8 is a very uninteresting lens. I sold mine in favour of, firstly a Summicron 35/2 and then a few weeks ago the new Loxia 35/2.

I was expecting the 35/2.8 to be as good as the 35/2 on my RX1 (now also sold). I am afraid it wasn't. Brittle, over sharp results that has a look which reminded me of a p&s.

The Loxia is very good indeed but I would be more interested in a 35/2 with AF and not the over-large 35/1.4 they are now touting.

Just my two cents.

LouisB
    -----
    My new book "Whitechapel in 50 BUildings", Flikr Stream, www.louisberk.com
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I would buy it and use it and even share some pictures here.

Post Thanks / Like

Why the aversion to the Z**** branding?

And FWIW, the 20mm APS-C Sony pancake lens actually might have closer to 24mm coverage on a FF body if you can tolerate dark corners and seeing a circular image in your finder. I can't complain: The brand-new lens scarcely cost more than the last hood + cap I bought for a 35 Summicron-M.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I do not have any aversion to the blue label. Heck, I would even use a real Hasselblad Stellar if I am into P&S cams.

About that E 20/2.8. No, it is not just the size. I can not stand the APS-C coverage on FF body. I have already wasted fair bit of cash on those E lenses.

Post Thanks / Like

I fully agree with the need of compact AF lenses for the FE series. But I think that @ F2 the 21 and 24mm can't remain very compact
    It's do-able if you're not too picky about sharpness in the corners + chromatic aberration + vignetting! My switching from a Leica M8 with it's APS-H sensor to the FF M9 was sort of a mixed blessing in that sense.

Post Thanks / Like

Not to sound like a broken record but ... I think those of us who were attracted to the A7 by its compact size and FF sensor along with the relatively small 35 & 55 lenses, would welcome a selection of small f2 or f2.8 primes. I really don't think it's a lot to ask. At this stage in sensor evolution and high ISO, there is no need for humungous hunks of glass with equally large price tags for the majority of daily shooting situations.

Wide aperture lenses have their fans and serve their needs, but for me, I just want a compact system with quality, affordable and moderately fast glass.
    I'm gone beyond dropping 2 to 3 thousand on a lens for perhaps a 5 percent gain in overall image quality. YMMV
    A7II, FE 35, 55 C/Y 18, 28, 85, 100, 28-85

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Please, not another 35mm. Sony has it covered in all FF flavors already.

Post Thanks / Like

I mentioned in the past that Olympus in the 70s, 80s and 90s had two sets of MF Zuikos. The f2 line from 21mm though to 250mm. (Yes, 250mm f2, Its an awesome beast and worth a look at online). Then they also had the 49mm filter size compact lenses in various max apertures from 21mm to 100mm. There were wider and longer lenses of course but they were a lower sellers.

For many years I carried a three lens set. Often even when I owned more lenses, I'd just pick up three and leave the rest home. I eventually settled on the 21 f2, 40 f2 and 100 f2.8.

Adding to what is available now, I'd love to see a compact f2 50mm, 24 or 21 and a 100mm.

Many manufacturers made a 40 or 45mm pancake in f2 or f2.8, As a wild card how one of them?
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Sony did the f1.8 range with nex before, eg 24 1.8, 35 1.8 OSS, & 50mm 1.8 OSS primes with hardly any software distortion correction, but FE line makes zig zags w/ primes vs consistent f4 zoom set... Hopefully will get 85-100mm f2 prime next and maybe a decent wide...

I prefer also using g45mm f2 to 55mm as a walk around lens... There are also CV 40 1.4 m-mount and CV 40 f2 dslr lenses...

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

If I am not mistaken, The 28/2 has just a simple barrel distortion (no waves unlike the 35/2.8). This makes the corrections easy as well as (I suspect), the AF easier and more accurate.

From day #3.

Untitled by Vivek Iyer, on Flickr
    A7s, Sony FE 28/2, f/2.2, ISO8000, Auto Focus

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Want to resurrect this to remind Sony about the mssing, affordable, decently sized and priced f2 primes.

The Zony 55/1.8 is Ok but is way over priced and is not at all compact. Sony should try harder to come with something better.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Want to resurrect this to remind Sony about the mssing, affordable, decently sized and priced f2 primes.

The Zony 55/1.8 is Ok but is way over priced and is not at all compact. Sony should try harder to come with something better.
    Amusing to look back at this after just about a month.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,

It seems that high quality primes more often than not have large apertures. It is a great pity, as it takes a lot of optical effort to make a lens that is usable at large apertures.

I wouldn't say f/2 is the optimal aperture, it may differ from lens to lens.

A large aperture lens in the 85-90 mm range is quite interesting for good bokeh. The Batis 85/1.9 would fill that role if you could buy it.

Personally, I am quite happy with my 16-35/4 Canon zoom, don't need larger apertures, really.

Best regards
    Erik

I fully agree with the need of compact AF lenses for the FE series. But I think that @ F2 the 21 and 24mm can't remain very compact; I'd be happy with F2.8 for the wide angles. I prefer a 90mm F2.8 for the short tele and I'd also like a 135mm between F2.8 and F4.

Post Thanks / Like

I'll play. I've already got an orange label 35/2 . I'd suggest to Sony doing the same trick with an 85/2 - let's call it the RX2 ...

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by bipbip View Post
    I'll play. I've already got an orange label 35/2 . I'd suggest to Sony doing the same trick with an 85/2 - let's call it the RX2 ...
    A lens designer friend tells me that front mounted converters are very much possible but at the cost of weight and image degradation.

I was checking a 1.7X Teleskop attachment I have (Zeiss made for Contax 45mm Tessar) on the RX1R mk II. It would work in principle (loss of contrast and added CA would also be there). Having a custom adapter to keep the attachment in place would be a challenge and it would also be a bit heavy.