The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony FE 24-70mm f4 vs Sony A-Mount 28-75mm (on an A7II)

rajeshr

Just sold my A99 and picked up a A7II. I was deciding between the two lenses (FE 24-70 f4 or A 28-75 f2.8). I already have the 28-75mm, so I would need to pick up the LE-EA4 adaptor or I could sell the 28-75 and pick up the Zeiss 24-70mm.

Anyone have any feedback on either of the two lenses on an A7II or A7? I've read some reviews on the 24-70mm indicating that it may not be worth the cost - is that a correct assessment? Overall, it seems that both lenses are similar in size (with the 28-75mm being heavier).

Any help would be appreciated!

Paratom

I know the mixed reviews about the 2470FE, but I have quite good experience with my sample on the A7s and A7II. I use it without hesitation at all f-stops and do like the results. And I am picky regarding lenses. I assume there is some sample variation going on.

iiiNelson

Try them both and decide for yourself. I think the divide is the cost versus the result. I was a person that owned the 24-70 and I wasn't Wild about it for a $1200 lens. My other issue is that it's really only good by most people's standards between 27-66 or so. If it was $6-800 I probably would've shut up about it and kept it.

I expect more personally from a lens of that cost. The truth is that it may technically be the best native zoom lens in that range if you care about size. I've seen some good copies of the kit zoom that aren't too far off in performance though - even if the 24-70 is better.

V

Vivek

Both are zooms. :(

I bought the 24-70 f/4 and returned it quickly. Never bought the 28-75 f/2.8 (at some point Sony was giving it away for free with a discounted A850, here).

biglouis

Surprisingly, I am beginning to warm to the 24-70 on both the A7r and A7s.

Firstly, on the A7r it may just be because of the resolution of the sensor. You get so much and can crop so much poor edges etc are a non-issue.

I got some very good results on the A7s but then again I see lots of good results with all sorts of lenses using the A7s - so, again, it is down to the sensor.

Personally, if I was a new owner of a A7II my first lens would be the 55/1.8. Your real problem will be with finding a decent 35mm - a case of little or large - and a decent wide angle, although manual voigtlander lenses, especially the 21/1.8 work well on my cameras.

Just my two cents.

Louis

rajeshr

Thanks all for your responses. I'm leaning towards keeping the 28-75mm for now and not getting the 24-70mm. As HiredArm mentions, I think $1200 for the lens may not be worth it. I may have taken a gamble at $600, but not at twice the price.

biglouis - I have ordered the 55/1.8 and am waiting for it to arrive. I also have my Leica 35 Summicron that I can use with the A7II and was looking for a decent zoom lens to use.

rajeshr

I have to back track on my previous statement! I was leaning towards keeping the 28-75mm, but based on the feedback and the fact that I managed to find the 24-70\f4 for C$820(US$650) due to a Sony promotion which ends today, i took the plunge and ordered the 24-70mm.

The Sony promotion has been good to me - picked up the A7II(US$1330) as well as the 55/1.8(US$530) over the last couple of days to replace my A99. For once, Canadian pricing is better than the US! :D

iiiNelson

I have to back track on my previous statement! I was leaning towards keeping the 28-75mm, but based on the feedback and the fact that I managed to find the 24-70\f4 for C$820(US$650) due to a Sony promotion which ends today, i took the plunge and ordered the 24-70mm.

The Sony promotion has been good to me - picked up the A7II(US$1330) as well as the 55/1.8(US$530) over the last couple of days to replace my A99. For once, Canadian pricing is better than the US! :D
That is a great deal. So far the 55FE has been the best lens I've used on the A7 series.