The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

the 24-240

soboyle

Received my copy today, some quick testing on my A7r shows this lens to be very good considering the range it covers. Very sharp in center at 24, edges and corners soft, by 50mm the corners are good. And its good all the way out to 200. By 240 the edges are soft again. I plan on putting it head to head with my zeiss 24-70 this weekend. My thinking is that this might replace the 24-70 because I have the very good 16-35 to cover wide, and from 50-70 initial tests show the 24-240 to be good. This type of lens suits some of the urban shooting I do, and I think it will work out well for that use. It is a bit of a beast though.

soboyle

Some further testing today at various focal lengths. This lens is impressively sharp in the center right from 24mm. The corners get good by 40mm and very good by 50mm. Things start to get fuzzy at around 150mm and beyond, and I suspect it is the A7r shutter vibration showing itself, so can't comment on those focal lengths until I'm able to use faster shutter speeds this weekend. 70mm is excellent, which it is not on my 24-70.

soboyle

Put the 24-240 against my 24-70 today. The 24-70 is clearly the better lens at all focal lengths except @ 70mm, where the 24-240 is considerably better. No real surprise there since the 24-70 is known to be weak at 70. They are close from 40 to 65mm. The 24-240 vignettes @24 to an astonishing degree. A lens like this would be very handy for shooting in environments where changing lenses isn't feasible, but for me the image quality trade off isn't worth it for the convenience, not on the A7r at least. My guess is that this lens would perform really well on the A6000 where the problematic corners & edges are cropped out. A 36-360 lens on that camera could be a nice combo.

serhan

Thanks for the feedback. I was very interested in this lens and I saw similar results from two reviews that I saw. They also have some raw images:

Sony 24-240 mm f3.5-6.3 FE OSS: prueba de campo | Quesabesde

SLRCLUB 24-240mm review

I used a Tamron 28-300 prev version last year and it was good from 28-100 range on A7R but wasn't impressed at the long end. The pzd version is supposed to be better but I was waiting for 24-240 and now trying to decide if I should try 28-300 pzd, Canon vs Sony mount which needs a bigger af adapter, etc. All the 70-200/70-300 lenses are bigger then the 28-300...