Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Loxia 35mm

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Loxia 35mm

Hi there back, Ashwin!

Quote Originally Posted by ashwinrao1 View Post
    Hi Cam, THe AA can be stripped from the A7s...Kolarivision does this....I am tempted. Charles has had a mod done for his A7R, and I am toying with the idea for my A7s, though I am not sure how loxia performance may be affected and worry a bit about this...
    Yes. I've thought about this. Seriously. But I'm not sure if it will play nice with FE lenses either, which gives me pause... Then, again, it's my one big bugbear with the RX1 (I don't have the RX1R) -- it's like I can see that veil and it drives me mad! Too many years of shooting without AA, I guess.

Speaking of which, how does the 35 Loxia compare with the glass on the RX1R, in your opinion? Is it close? The RX1 made me fall back in love with 35mm, both because of the character of the lens and the fact that I now could get close enough.

Cam, great to hear from you!!!

You know, I felt the same way about the loxias (redundant to my M's, as both are manual focus), but then I tried them out....and they had to be in my kit. I immediately sold my 35 and 55 FE lenses, to get the loxias, and zero regrets...

All of that said, I still love my M9P and adore the MM...they do make the heart and soul sing!
    I've missed you even if you are such an evil influence on me I take what you say seriously, so I'll probably do a Lens Rental next time I'm in town. (I actually do shoot the RX1 manually most of the time.)

But I got the A7S so I could learn auto-focus, pfffft!

And this:
    And keep in mind, all that the M9 would not have been able to make the first shot that I posted...the A7s barely blinks at ISO 12800...which is bonkers....
    It is insane! And it's spoiled me such that when I go back to the Ms, I sometimes get taken up short, lol.

You all have me thinking hard about what gear I will take on my next trip overseas to Iceland and beyond...A7s and Loxias, or M kit with M9p and Monochrom..the choice is not clear cut...
    Seriously consider it... The last trip I took both (not the Loxias, obviously) and the MM stayed in the bag. It was a conscious choice -- I needed to see if I could be content with just the Sony. I was.

I missed the act of shooting with a rangefinder, not just the cameras and the glass glass, but there was something nice about not having to think so hard -- I just let myself have fun. And the fact that there really wasn't a cap on the ISO and the silence itself that allowed me to play in many situations where I just wouldn't have tried with the M.

Not only did I want a light* kit I could travel with but, also, an inexpensive kit. Well, relatively inexpensive... The Sony with lenses cost less than one piece of Leica glass in many cases. That's very freeing.

* I picked up a used Mitakon, too, because I still like to shoot in ridiculously low light, sometimes, and knew that... Negates some of the weight savings, but the Noctilux was always one of my favourite travel lenses.

On that note, okay... You've all convinced me. I'll give the Loxias a try to see if it might be part (aside from the intact AA) of what I'm missing on the Sony. Sigh, Ashwin, you've never been very good for my pocketbook!
    my flickr
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

I have had the Loxia 35mm for some time now. Regarding the rendering (color/bokeh/transition from sharp to background) I like the lens a lot. I also like the handling and the size/speed ratio is near perfect for the A7II IMO.
    Still I find out that sometimes one is faster/a little more accurate (when shooting moving subjects like kids) when having AF.
    I feel when using the Loxia 35 the images I get with the A7II look better than with most FE lenses I have. Smoother, more natural, more like what I get from the Leica M body and lenses.

For me the A7II is technically a very good camera (system), I dont even miss any more lenses because the ones they offer fit my needs,

BUT I dont enjoy shooting it as much as I enjoy shooting the M for example.
    Why? I have not found out yet. One factor is EVF still make me feel disconnected from the subject. Another issue might be that a camera with face detection and autoeverything it might be too passive and simple to take an image (I know I COULD switch everything too manual, but I dont), another thing might be the mass of buttons and functions gives me the feeling that this is more a computer with loads of software than a simpe straight forward "tool" which I have fully under control (I have the 7II under control as well but some think...why are there so many buttons I dont use, did I miss anything? Do I have all settings right?)
    I also dont like the short product cycle.
    So I am somewhere lost at the moment and I believe a) lenses and b) user interface are important factors today when choosing a camera (system).

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Paratom View Post
    One factor is EVF still make me feel disconnected from the subject.
    I am decisively lost on this. Is this like the Fandler magic that may or may not exist?

I am disconnected from the current Leica because they are boutique selling blood suckers. $7K for a normal lens?
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

One thing that was invaluable to my FE transition from the M was forcing myself to using the A7/A7R for a month or two and consequently it's what I did while forcing myself to learn Capture One. The menus will become second nature and you will get a lot more comfortable with the Sony quirks as opposed to the Leica quirks.

Truth is the M makes so much more sense mostly because of familiarity and the reduction of available options in contrast to the Sony.
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

Post Thanks / Like

Currently on my first vacation in 15 years without an M system. Total equipment includes A7 and A7s with Loxia 35, 50 and the 24-70 zoom for all stills and additionally a Canon 200mm FD for video. I think the Loxia lenses "make" this system work for me as I visualize and shoot in a similar fashion to working with my Leica M system. I don't want the camera to get in the way of my seeing, and the ease of use of the Loxia lenses keeps it simple for my feeble mind. I would add a 21 or 25mm Loxia and be done.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Michael Rivers
    Leica Q, SL

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I think with time one can get over the feeling of "disconnect" from the Sony EVF -- I know I did. If you've shot Leica M's, it takes some getting used to as they do offer a better connection than even a regular slr reflex view. But the reality is that for my old eyes, the focus peaking makes manual focus once again easy even for an old guy with stig issues -- that was not so on the M RF --- unfortunately --- and why I ended up selling off the M system

But that said, now the Mitakon on the Sony is about the closest thing to an M feel I have used since the M. It isn't "the same as," but definitely in the same ballpark now that I mostly am not even aware the focus peaking is peaking --- if you use it for a bit, that sentence will make sense and you'll understand what I mean...

BUT! It doesn't alter the fact I'd like to have a few more good AF prime solutions for the little Sony body!
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Coming from a optical finder for many years I got the hang of EVF pretty quickly. Now I don't even realize it anymore. On the other hand some find it difficult to get used too. With focus peaking and the zoom feature manual focusing is really a breeze for me. I left Leica back with ownership at least with the M8 and I don't see myself ever going back to RF style. End of day for real work I found it way to limiting. I'm talking Pro use here it got in my way far to often and I wound up selling it all. I went MF and to a certain degree it was also limiting. But I did like the files so you dealt with it. With Sony and the A7 series I hit a few walks here and there but nothing I could not figure out quickly to get work done. I really went for several reasons from Nikon to Sony and it was for manual focus as I find it easier with the Sony. Nikon has nice AF but I only really need that with certain gigs and now half the time with the Sonys I'm on manual focus anyway and a arear button ready to go for AF in a split second if needed. It really comes down to knowing your gear and what it can really do for you. Leica has too much of a long lens limitation for me. I need 200 and 300 and fast for some gigs.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Coming from a optical finder for many years I got the hang of EVF pretty quickly. Now I don't even realize it anymore. On the other hand some find it difficult to get used too. With focus peaking and the zoom feature manual focusing is really a breeze for me. I left Leica back with ownership at least with the M8 and I don't see myself ever going back to RF style. End of day for real work I found it way to limiting. I'm talking Pro use here it got in my way far to often and I wound up selling it all. I went MF and to a certain degree it was also limiting. But I did like the files so you dealt with it. With Sony and the A7 series I hit a few walks here and there but nothing I could not figure out quickly to get work done. I really went for several reasons from Nikon to Sony and it was for manual focus as I find it easier with the Sony. Nikon has nice AF but I only really need that with certain gigs and now half the time with the Sonys I'm on manual focus anyway and a arear button ready to go for AF in a split second if needed. It really comes down to knowing your gear and what it can really do for you. Leica has too much of a long lens limitation for me. I need 200 and 300 and fast for some gigs.
    Pretty much my experience and rationale for leaving Leica as it was too limiting for the 25% of the time that I need/use focal lengths longer than 90mm (although I would say between 21-90mm I haven't found an equal for lens quality in the 35mm realm.) My work around and backup to the M9 was popping my 90 Cron Pre-AA onto my NEX-5 so I sort of knew what I was getting into with shifting primarily to the FE system but it's not for everyone.

Truth be told the majority of us can do most of what we need to do with a half decent DSLR if forced to but having the choices we have is a good thing. If something doesn't work out for you move on to something that fits your needs a bit better. I'm pretty firmly in the Sony camp because I love the color, the flexibility of the FE mount, and the reasonable cost. If they don't produce what I want and am willing to wait for at this point then I'll revisit the "best available system for me" debate. I have zero loyalty until a check starts flowing into my account - and even then that's debatable because I have enough integrity that I won't lie about what I think... although I may omit my thoughts for the right price. LOL

Sony is somewhat of a polarizing company for many reasons. The FE system brings up seemingly strong feelings from both points of view. I think a lot of it has to do with hype, press, and the innovation that the cameras are/potentially can be. At the end of the day no one should have any issue with what you use and why. Use what you like and be happy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Could not agree more. I have zero brand loyalty and I proved that more than once switching systems on a dime to find hopefully greenier pastures. I'm willing to wait on Sony for a little while longer. Im looking for the A7r replacement and if they take even what tech they have now I'm good to go.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like

My feeling is that in ten years from now people will pick up cameras with optical viewfinders and find them 'interesting' rather like the digital versus film debate.

(Yes, film is organic and interesting but once you scan it and digitise it why not use a digital capture at source?).

I can almost hear the conversations. "Man, since I went optical I really feel I am connected with the subject - it is sooo kewl!" (But deep in my little black heart if I have a difficult lighting situation I'll pick up my cam with evf so I can adjust EV in live view).

If you really love optical then you cannot get better than a ground glass screen on a Hasselblad V. But frankly all other optical is in my experience significantly inferior to current EVFs and indeed I would not now buy a camera with an optical viewfinder.

Just my two cents.

LouisB
    -----
    My new book "Whitechapel in 50 BUildings", Flikr Stream, www.louisberk.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree. Nostalgia does have it's place but I think we are nearing a time where there may be a less rational reason for the masses to choose OVF other than preference.

I still lean towards the preference of having a choice between either OVF/EVF as I try my best to not fit everyone into MY box. Outside of using a rangefinder or maybe even MF I can't see much purpose in going back to OVF for me either. It's difficult to go back to not having WYSIWYG after being accustomed to it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Coming from a optical finder for many years I got the hang of EVF pretty quickly. Now I don't even realize it anymore.
    EVERY finder image is just an "abstraction" ("translation") of the final image (the actual photo). EVFs (with magnification) are really great when hyper-critical sharpness is the target (though I also have no issues to hit focus with my Contax 645 or Cambo WRS). EVFs are a nightmare when it comes to the "emotion" or better let's say "expression" of an image (the EVF-image mostly doesn't "translate" to a useful photo...)... at least for me personally.
    Me I feel much more "connected" to the motif when shooting with OVFs (even with groundglasses... although the subject is upside-down). I somehow know how the final photo will look like (well, at least I have a specific idea how it will like...). I have absolutely no issues when shooting with EVF... but for me personally the abstraction regarding the the final image is MORE ... not less.
    It all comes down to where you are comming from. Nothing wrong or right with either methods of "viewing" the future image in camera ...

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hmmm - very interesting comments. I love EVF and have been using it pretty exclusively for the last few months as the weather has not been conducive to using my MF system and tripod work. (Tough setting up in a metre of snow and yes, I'm a wimp.)

BUT - today I yanked out my Phase DF and was immediately struck by the size, clarity and "presence" of the image through the viewfinder.

Thanks heavens we have so many options these days!

Bill
    Bill CB

www.billcaulfeild-browne.ca
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Caulfeild-Browne View Post
    BUT - today I yanked out my Phase DF and was immediately struck by the size, clarity and "presence" of the image through the viewfinder.

Thanks heavens we have so many options these days!

Bill
    Amen... I certainly wouldn't kick a larger EVF (or OVF for that matter) "out of bed" as the expression goes. Viewfinders are sort of like TV's - you can never really go too big.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by HiredArm View Post
    Amen... I certainly wouldn't kick a larger EVF (or OVF for that matter) "out of bed" as the expression goes. Viewfinders are sort of like TV's - you can never really go too big.
    You leave me no choice but to think rude thoughts -- merci!
    my flickr

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cam View Post
    You leave me no choice but to think rude thoughts -- merci!
    Ehhh... We'd probably get along just fine then.
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It's difficult to go back to not having WYSIWYG after being accustomed to it.
    Ah... no, it's very, very easy

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    Ah... no, it's very, very easy
    For you maybe...

If I were to ever choose to go back to a DSLR type camera I'd probably choose a Pentax 645Z (or whatever the current model is down the line) or a CMOS Digital Back because I don't want to lose that functionality for myself. It's also a huge leap in potential IQ versus a 35mm based system.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Caulfeild-Browne View Post
    (Tough setting up in a metre of snow and yes, I'm a wimp.)Bill
    What you need is a trip to Tortola!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I did finally get out and test some basic tests against the 16-35 at 35 for comparison. Try to get them up soon. From the LCD I can tell you now I like this lens. I know is there a Zeiss I don't like. Lol

Post Thanks / Like

I'm intrigued by the Loxia options, but aren't they stop-down lenses?

My first 35mm camera [over 40 years ago] was a Russian Zenith B with a stop-down lens; it drove me nuts!

I don't recall anyone commenting on drawbacks of Loxia manual aperture stop-down either here or elsewhere. For those of us who prefer f8 to f2, would users care to comment on whether it's an issue or not for good focus, and whether they focus wide open and then shut down, or manage to focus at f8?

You'd be correct to assume from my question that I have not yet switched to the a7 platform.

.............. Chris

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Mostly when using focus peaking and the zoom features it becomes irrelevant being stopped down or not. The camera has live view effects on which compensate for light levels to bring them up to normal viewing. Now you can see the focus peaking get more intense when stopping down and that's helpful for DOF as you can see your range very nicely. Now the Loxia lenses are manual aperture and not on the camera but you get full EXIF data in camera and in post so if you stop down you see your value in finder or LCD. So you know where your at at all times. Here is the good news focus creeping is really eliminated as well because your focusing at let's say 5.6 and shooting at 5.6 than focus creeping is no longer a issue it's already compensated for as you focus.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chris C View Post
    I'm intrigued by the Loxia options, but aren't they stop-down lenses?

My first 35mm camera [over 40 years ago] was a Russian Zenith B with a stop-down lens; it drove me nuts!

I don't recall anyone commenting on drawbacks of Loxia manual aperture stop-down either here or elsewhere. For those of us who prefer f8 to f2, would users care to comment on whether it's an issue or not for good focus, and whether they focus wide open and then shut down, or manage to focus at f8?

You'd be correct to assume from my question that I have not yet switched to the a7 platform.

.............. Chris
    Maybe I'm not getting the question but are you asking if it's necessary to stop down to focus the lens? If no the answer is no because they are manual focus with a mechanical aperture ring. They will focus wherever you manually place the focus. The zoom focus feature of the EVF aids in making it easier to achieve focus manually but the same feature can be achieved with all lenses to include the AF lenses if so desired.

That's the best way I can describe it without putting a camera in your hands.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I can tell you something right out of the gate from this morning manually focusing the Sony 16-35 zoom AF lens compared to the Loxia 35 manual lens that the action on the zoom to focus is loose because its a AF lens so much harder to focus manually over the Loxia which is a nice tight focus throw and more importantly you can see the pop better with regards to focus peaking and contrast. Much easier to nail the Loxia over the zoom in manual focus mode. Now the zoom does have the advantage to AF when needed.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah focus by wire isn't optimum (to be nice about it) but I've gotten to where I hate it less (sometimes I actually get along with it) because I have a love hate relationship with most AF systems that I've tried short of pro Canon bodies (1D/5D/7D series.)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Fair warning the Loxia 35mm F2 just flat out smokes the 16-35 at 35mm. Just smokes its, it was what I counted on and suspected all along. Im working on the comparison but the real surprise is central sharpness. I'm floored on what I am seeing. Stay tuned for a new thread on this soon. So far very pleased indeed

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

OK, it eats breakfast and it smokes. It must be alive then!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    OK, it eats breakfast and it smokes.
    Sounds like a lot of my mornings while I was in Germany...

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Guy, Post some pics already. You are just ratcheting up the tension here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Im actually completely surprised at the Loxia as the reviews are its very nice but not really sharp wide open. BULLSHIT all of it. LOL

Just to wet your whistle. 100 percent crop at F2 and it gets better

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Okay back to getting this all up for your eyes to see.

Post Thanks / Like

..... are you asking if it's necessary to stop down to focus the lens? ..... they are manual focus with a mechanical aperture ring..... The zoom focus feature of the EVF aids in making it easier to achieve focus manually......
    Thank you for replying. Perhaps my query was clumsy. I was actually asking if it is necessary to open-up to focus. I understand Loxias are manual focus with manual aperture ring. I'd like to know if focusing at f8 is accurate and efficient with 'focus-peaking', or whether the increased depth of field of f8 makes accurate EVF focusing difficult at that aperture.

............ Chris

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

You can use the magnification function (at f/8) to focus accurately using the EVF. Personally, I do not rely on the peaking function. It is often unreliable and just lights up whatever is contrasty in the frame.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Agreed that the peeking on anything more than low is pretty useless for shooting most lenses wide open. It's decent to get you in the ballpark but critical focus requires magnification IMO.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    You can use the magnification function (at f/8) to focus accurately using the EVF. Personally, I do not rely on the peaking function. It is often unreliable and just lights up whatever is contrasty in the frame.
    And :

Agreed that the peeking on anything more than low is pretty useless for shooting most lenses wide open. It's decent to get you in the ballpark but critical focus requires magnification IMO.
    Thank you both for helpful explanations. Before I make my move [a7rII, a9 ?] I'll test how I get on with magnified EVF focusing with my 'sometimes-dodgy' focusing eye. If I can focus with 'peaking' off; that would be terrific.

The ZM 35mm Biogon-C was fabulous on Leica M, these Loxias seem to be wonderful lenses for Sony.

................ Chris

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chris C View Post
    And :

Thank you both for helpful explanations. Before I make my move [a7rII, a9 ?] I'll test how I get on with magnified EVF focusing with my 'sometimes-dodgy' focusing eye. If I can focus with 'peaking' off; that would be terrific.

The ZM 35mm Biogon-C was fabulous on Leica M, these Loxias seem to be wonderful lenses for Sony.

................ Chris

Well there's two levels of magnification. If you can't focus with the high power magnification then you probably shouldn't be behind the wheel on public roads either without corrective lenses.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

My Loxia 35 has been shipped today.
    It's in the evening now... so no chance to test the lens at home.
    But unpacked it and first thing I noticed is the aperture-ring has to be turned to right to stop down (or vice versa to the left to open up).
    EVERY other lens I have is the other way around ...
    Didn't take notice on the product images seen on the web ... but immediately noticed it when I had the lens in my hands.
    Not a big deal... but yet again a counter-intuitive "innovation"

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah... That's the way Fuji and Nikon lenses are... It's like left handed people designed these things.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yeah... That's the way Fuji and Nikon lenses are... It's like left handed people designed these things.

I had/have ... Pentax, Leica, ZM-Zeiss, Zeiss-Contax (645 & 135), Voigtländer, Schneider, Rodenstock, Minolta, Sony... as far as the aperture ring goes they are all the same.
    Nikon and Fuji are doing it wrong :-)
    In all seriousness... all lenses in the history of this system are desgined the other way around. And all Zeiss-lenses I know of, too.
    Why the hell did they change this?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by thomas View Post

I had/have ... Pentax, Leica, ZM-Zeiss, Zeiss-Contax (645 & 135), Voigtländer, Schneider, Rodenstock, Minolta, Sony... as far as the aperture ring goes they are all the same.
    Nikon and Fuji are doing it wrong :-)
    In all seriousness... all lenses in the history of this system are desgined the other way around. And all Zeiss-lenses I know of, too.
    Why the hell did they change this?
    Yeah I agree... Nikon lenses mount the wrong way too... Go figure!?!