Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Loxia 35mm

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Loxia 35mm

Well I have to say it. If you have a issue with a lens like this than your crazy. This is one heck of a nice lens. Perfect size, weight and balance on the A7 series. Focus is butter and like other Zeiss glass nice contrast for very easy focusing. Just been playing and even without the magnifier I'm pretty much dead on straight up. Obviously focus peaking is the major reason I even switched to Sony.

I want one in every flavor to be honest. Talk about a nice travel kit. The 16-35, Loxia 35, 50 and if they had a 90 I could travel the planet and would want nothing else in the bag.

Here is the real kicker here. First FE native lens that I don't need AF to nail it. Put another way AF just might be overrated given how nice these focus. Said a diffrent way I could get by with a 4 lens Loxia kit alone.

Put another way don't overlook these Loxia. I'm actually glad I backed off the 35 1.4 at least for now. Saved 400 dollars which I put somewhere else. I'm really tempted to get the 50 now.

I'll try and get out and get some tests done but I have kind of a busy weekend coming. I do want to compare it to the 16-35.

BTW this is the first time EVER I am using the OEM hood it's that nice and at least a half inch of the hood goes over the lens itself. So the hood may look big by itself but on the lens it's perfect in size.

So all the folks that want small lenses for this system well you don't have to look far. They just need a 21,28,75, 90 and a 135 to add to the lineup
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com
    Likes 8 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Loxia 35mm

Our own Louis Berk wrote a review that echoes your sentiments.

LouisBerk.com - Zeiss Loxia 35/2 Review

Either the 50 or 35mm is on my radar. I can't really stretch to both. The 35 might get the nod or I buy the 50 and end up selling the 50 to get a 35 anyway.
    Last edited by Tim; 27th March 2015 at 05:27. Reason: Correctly spelt Louis name - I am a pratt
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Everything I read (and I would assume this without reading opinions based on the ZM Planar) is that the 50 is the real jewel of the Loxia lineup especially when it comes to the higher MP bodies.
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    So all the folks that want small lenses for this system well you don't have to look far. They just need a 21,28,75, 90 and a 135 to add to the lineup
    While I look forward to your pictures, I can not wait for a Loxi 28 to appear to compare with the Sony FE 28/2.

Post Thanks / Like

Seems like a really great lens! Even if the 1.4/35 has AF and is faster, I would prefer this Loxia, as it gives finally a complete lightweight and handy package with perfect IQ. Would obviously make a nice combo with the new A7II as well, really tempting!

My issue is that I would need to jump into another system to get it and I already have too many systems ....

Just my 5c.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sold on the Loxia path but refuse to invest until I see the complete line up so as I can pick and choose my 3 or 4 lens setup. a 28/50/90 trio or a 21/35/75/100.
    It'll be interesting to read your experiences with this 35 Loxia Guy, you're a dab hand of evaluating, hyping and then swapping out glass ... the proof will be in how long this stays in the bag.

In the mean time I'll just stick with the cheap and cheerful C/Y lenses.
    A7II, FE 35, 55 C/Y 18, 28, 85, 100, 28-85
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

For another 1000 Euros (in that neighborhood), I would take this package, easily: Brand new Sony patent shows Cuved Sensor FF camera with 35mm lens (and some variations). | sonyalpharumors

My long awaited Contax T.

Post Thanks / Like

I rented the 35 Loxia from Lensrentals a month or so ago and also fell for it. The copy I had was marginally better than my 35 FE, but the way it handles on the camera is so much nicer. I generally prefer manual focus, and it was light years better for that than the native FE's.

Sean Reid complained that the aperture should have been controlled so you could focus wide open then the camera could stop down for the shot. I get that, but to me if it looks good zoomed in, it is good enough for hand held shooting. If I want something better I can focus open on a tripod then stop down. It's a trade off between focus shift and focus accuracy I suppose.

Regardless, this lens is next on my list.

Dave
    How glorious a greeting the sun gives the mountains! - John Muir

davechewphotography.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    For another 1000 Euros (in that neighborhood), I would take this package, easily: Brand new Sony patent shows Cuved Sensor FF camera with 35mm lens (and some variations). | sonyalpharumors

My long awaited Contax T.
    I would tend to agree with you when it comes to the "ultimate compact FF 35mm" camera but it NEEDS to have the EVF/OVF built into the body. Accessory viewfinders aren't my thing.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well I bought the A7r mainly to do manual focus with focus peaking and all that to do landscape and some commercial work. I bought the A7II for PR and AF. So for me primes are usually for the A7r and zooms are for the A7II. Obviously I can mix that up but all this depends on your intent on what you do. Reality is most of us don't really need AF and it's sometimes more a connivence than a real need. Generally speaking of course but usually AF lenses don't focus very nicely when using them in manual mode. Take the 55 for example its kind of free flowing and harder to focus manually. This Loxia is butter smooth on manual. So that I like a lot . I think for a lot of us here on the forum most like a certain combo of both. I bought the 16-35 mainly for PR but since it turns out to be killer good than its serving a dual roll.

From what I have seen so far these Loxias are more look lenses than lets say a Sigma ART brittle sharpness lens. The bokeh for example on this Loxia 35 is killer nice with bokeh and part reason I backed off on the 35 1.4. I can live with F2 but if I get the look of 1.4 than I'm ahead of the game both in costs, size and weight. My Mitikan 50 does not focus as nicely as this for example. I may get the 50 just to match my 35. One reason I sold my 55mm which I loved was it looked a little too sterile to me. Great lens but if your after look than maybe not the best choice. Honestly I'm a little tired of shooting for 100 percent zoom sharpness. Although having at least one killer sharp lens is nice.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'll get the new 28mm mainly for PR low light stuff but I'm rethinking 50 and above. I'm actually thinking of selling my 85 1.4 get a nice Leica 75 or 90 to replace it for landscape but also add the 70-200 for studio and PR too. I'm keeping the Minolta 200mm regardless of what I do. But we do need FE mount 85 and 135 in some form to hit the streets.

Post Thanks / Like

So do you use focus peaking with the Loxia? I've found peaking helpful when I'm looking at a full view, but magnified there's enough detail that I don't necessarily need it (and sometimes it seems like peaking gets in the way). Since the Loxia can auto-engage the magnifier, I figured it'd be a lens to use without peaking.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Well I bought the A7r mainly to do manual focus with focus peaking and all that to do landscape and some commercial work. I bought the A7II for PR and AF. So for me primes are usually for the A7r and zooms are for the A7II. Obviously I can mix that up but all this depends on your intent on what you do. Reality is most of us don't really need AF and it's sometimes more a connivence than a real need. Generally speaking of course but usually AF lenses don't focus very nicely when using them in manual mode. Take the 55 for example its kind of free flowing and harder to focus manually. This Loxia is butter smooth on manual. So that I like a lot . I think for a lot of us here on the forum most like a certain combo of both. I bought the 16-35 mainly for PR but since it turns out to be killer good than its serving a dual roll.

From what I have seen so far these Loxias are more look lenses than lets say a Sigma ART brittle sharpness lens. The bokeh for example on this Loxia 35 is killer nice with bokeh and part reason I backed off on the 35 1.4. I can live with F2 but if I get the look of 1.4 than I'm ahead of the game both in costs, size and weight. My Mitikan 50 does not focus as nicely as this for example. I may get the 50 just to match my 35. One reason I sold my 55mm which I loved was it looked a little too sterile to me. Great lens but if your after look than maybe not the best choice. Honestly I'm a little tired of shooting for 100 percent zoom sharpness. Although having at least one killer sharp lens is nice.
    I've mulled over the decision to add the 35 Loxia and the 28FE now that I see its a lot better than I really hoped for. I still have the Sigma Art 35/1.4 so I don't NEED the Distagon although it would certain save some space in my bag over the Sigma since I wouldn't need the adapter. The good thing is that I still have time to decide which way to go. It's actually a case where I'm leaning toward both have room in the bag... Certainly the 50 Loxia does because it's my preferred focal length and different from the 55FE.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The Loxia 50 is a gem too.
    Brad Husick

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I use focus peaking in low mostly so it does not interfere so much with what my eye sees. Loxia 50 is on my radar

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I found focus peaking on medium or high to be far too aggressive (read: optimistic) in my experience. Mine is usually on low or off. I find that I can nail focus easy enough with just magnification.

Post Thanks / Like

I'll get the new 28mm mainly for PR low light stuff but I'm rethinking 50 and above. I'm actually thinking of selling my 85 1.4 get a nice Leica 75 or 90 to replace it for landscape but also add the 70-200 for studio and PR too. I'm keeping the Minolta 200mm regardless of what I do. But we do need FE mount 85 and 135 in some form to hit the streets.
    Just a tip regarding 90mm lenses:
    After purchasing the 50mm Mitakon for my A7II I decided to sell my Leica 75mm Summarit. A nice little lens but too close from the 50mm focal length. My dealer did a trade against a 90mm Summicron pre-Asph. Better image than the 75 Summarit for drawing and character but less resolution in the corners. A bit disappointing. So I exchanged it against the 90mm Summarit. Corners resolution has been improved again but were far from perfect. The image quality & character, although respectable in most cases, weren't that exciting. But ok, the 90mm summarit + A7II is still a very nice combo IMO.

Then, after the 3rd attempt I finally found the little jewel I was looking after: the 90mm Macro-Elmar !
    This lens has a very good reputation and is praised by some reputable bloggers (Tashley f.i.). It's not easy to really understand why (resolution is very good, not astounding, color aberration is present but well controlled). So is this lens just 'good and uber compact' or is there something else ?
    Decided to see by myself and visited my dealer to make another trade (with some serious extra cash...).
    So now, after a few days of use I'm completely sold by this little 90mm. I won't try to describe its character (too difficult for my poor english) but will just say that I've found some evident relationship between my Leica S lenses and this little guy. Same kind of drawing, clarity, class. Early findings but very, very promising. And yes it's soooo small and light (230g) also.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well I have to say it. If you have a issue with a lens like this than your crazy.
    I have a huge issue with manual focus when great AF is available WITH great lenses in other systems. Sony needs to step up their game or the A7 series will die.

/rant
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like

The Sony manual focusing implementation combined with good Leica /Zeiss lenses make it a pleasant experience. I now much prefer manual focus with peaking than AF. Better control, more fun than moving the AF cursors all the time (ok focus/recompose also exists, I know).
    Leave the AF lenses for action and enjoy the manual focusing for the rest, a nice way to chase perfection for catching excellence ;-)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    I have a huge issue with manual focus when great AF is available WITH great lenses in other systems. Sony needs to step up their game or the A7 series will die.

/rant
    What have not been paying attention. Zeiss 35 1.4 AF coming this week. They already have a 35 2.8 AF. This lens was my choice to go manual. Jack hate to say it but Nikons 35 offerings are pretty piss poor too . You forget I have been there done that.

You may have issue with manual focus but a lot of people prefer it. Your starting to sound like a Sony hater. That's not you my friend. Okay back to my grass cutting and maintence crap. Lol

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by anGy View Post
    The Sony manual focusing implementation combined with good Leica /Zeiss lenses make it a pleasant experience. I now much prefer manual focus with peaking than AF. Better control, more fun than moving the AF cursors all the time (ok focus/recompose also exists, I know).
    Leave the AF lenses for action and enjoy the manual focusing for the rest, a nice way to chase perfection for catching excellence ;-)
    I use AF for PR crap. Never on something really important to me. I never shot for instance a workshop on AF ever.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'll final get a chance to go out and test this gem Tommorrow. So far I do like it a lot.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

/rant
    I agree, especially in light of the fabulous Sony FE 28/2. It IS possible to make decent, compact, light weight primes that can do well with AF and even Sony can do it!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Guy,

Definitely not a Sony hater -- I still have the A7r! But I am not all that happy with Sony as a company not bringing any lenses *I* want to use with the camera. The 28 looks promising, though not all that great wide open. The 35/1.4 is interesting, but I haven't seen it yet to decide how good it really is -- have you? I have the Mitakon, and use it with focus peaking for what it is and like that quite a bit -- and with f.095 and for what I plan on using it for, I'm fine with manual focus. But I don't want to be forced to use manual to get good glass! I also like the holga on it, but that one I don't need to focus...

Re Nikon, you are simply wrong -- there is amazing glass available for it, both from Nikon and from other sources like Sigma. You have not owned a Nikon for almost 2 years, so honestly have no idea what you're missing now, especially with the D810's AF -- it's about as close to perfect as I've seen... And FTR, your comments are making you sound like a Nikon hater! Or a Sony fanboy

Back the Sony, The little 28 is okay and I will probably get one. But why don't we have a GREAT 20 or 24/2.8 yet? We *might* get a GREAT 35/1.4 but it remains to be seen how great it will be. Then why don't we have a GREAT 50/1.4 and why don't we have a GREAT 85/1.4 yet? Okay, so we do have a few nice and one so-so zoom. Seriously, where are the primes? To my thinking, we should have had the above all within 6 months after the A7r came out! Kind of like Leica bring out the S. They brought out the S2 before they had 3 lenses regularly shipping for the system...

Now fix yourself a coffee and go cut your grass
    Jack

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Sorry bud that Nikon 24,35,85 all 1.4 I have owned and they have not changed one bit. You can't coubt Sigma because I can use them in AF also. The d810 is nice but I'm not carrying a truck anymore and Nikon has done nothing since I left except update it. There is very little IQ diffrence between the 800e and 810 sorry not buying that argument . Features yes image quality what a horse hair. Sony certainly needs more glass but this is a new mount. How many years did it take Canon FD to switch to Eos mount. People forget this stuff. I owned Canon and Nikon and you know what happened every time I sold the OEM glass every time and bought Zeiss glass. Please I have been through every system with a fine tooth comb and no one is better than the next guy. I really hate these ****ing label talk. It's pointless . Shoot what you like you know that better than me.

Your forgetting I iwned Nikon my whole career at different points in time and pretty much bought every lens. Now I would say stupid me for many years for switching around but I'm bored shitless with this stuff. It's a tool

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Frankly I'm not happy with any one of them . They all have there downfalls but you buy the best that will work for you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Now can we get back on topic. LOL

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I'll final get a chance to go out and test this gem Tommorrow. So far I do like it a lot.
    Looking forward to your report.

Frankly I've been on the fence about this lens based on what I've seen. I temporarily cancelled my 35 Distagon order and bought a 28/2 for the time being until my direction is sorted out regarding which lens I should go with. I think the 28 and 55 will make a natural travel pair and I still have the Sigma Art 35 until I decide on a native FE 35mm lens (between the Loxia or the Distagon.) A 28, 35, 50 or 55, and the 90 Macro would make a good set of the common primes (although I normally prefer 18-25 on the wide end.)

Post Thanks / Like

CV 35mm 1.7 update is coming in April also. SAR was saying the price will be 1000 Euro... Maybe it will not match Zeiss contrast, but it is another mf lens to consider...

Quote Originally Posted by HiredArm View Post
    Looking forward to your report.

Frankly I've been on the fence about this lens based on what I've seen. I temporarily cancelled my 35 Distagon order and bought a 28/2 for the time being until my direction is sorted out regarding which lens I should go with. I think the 28 and 55 will make a natural travel pair and I still have the Sigma Art 35 until I decide on a native FE 35mm lens (between the Loxia or the Distagon.) A 28, 35, 50 or 55, and the 90 Macro would make a good set of the common primes (although I normally prefer 18-25 on the wide end.)

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by serhan View Post
    CV 35mm 1.7 update is coming in April also. SAR was saying the price will be 1000 Euro... Maybe it will not match Zeiss contrast, but it is another mf lens to consider...
    Yeah I still have my Voigtlander 35/1.2 Nokton II and Sigma Art 35mm. They are both great lenses (I like the Nokton better for close to medium range people shots and the Sigma is a great all around lens but somewhat clinical to some like the 55FE is) but I am thinking of adding a fast native 35mm. So it's either the Distagon or Loxia for me.

Size isn't my main concern so much as it is IQ and then flexibility to shoot in IR as well without hot spots (I'm 100% fine with the size of the Distagon as it will save space overall in my bag from deciding between which 35mm to take.)

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I have had the Loxia 35 and 50 for a few weeks now. I must say that I am not really missing using my M lenses on the A7s, as the user experience with the Loxia surpasses M lens use on the A7 (M's still are amazing, and obviously prefered for RF use and for use with multiple systems)...

The 50 is a jewel, tiny,and the 35 is no slouch. I suspect an 85 mm and a 21 or 25 mm lens would be the next options...I would be happy with a 21 and 85 and call it a day, seriously....A7s(II) and A7r(II) with silent shutters and IBIS would just about do it....optically, size, compactness, etc....

HEre is one from the 35 Loxia at ISO12800.....f/2...incredible that we can get these shots now!

1 in BW with the 35 Loxia @ ISO 3200

50 Loxia on A7s @ ISO 800

50 Loxia on A7s @ ISO 100
    Ashwin Rao
    Seattle, WA
    My Photography
    Likes 10 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

A few more Loxia 50 shots...who says Manual Focus can't do sports:

Ashwin Rao
    Seattle, WA
    My Photography
    Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ashwinrao1 View Post
    I have had the Loxia 35 and 50 for a few weeks now. I must say that I am not really missing using my M lenses on the A7s, as the user experience with the Loxia surpasses M lens use on the A7 (M's still are amazing, and obviously prefered for RF use and for use with multiple systems)...

The 50 is a jewel, tiny,and the 35 is no slouch. I suspect an 85 mm and a 21 or 25 mm lens would be the next options...I would be happy with a 21 and 85 and call it a day, seriously....A7s(II) and A7r(II) with silent shutters and IBIS would just about do it....optically, size, compactness, etc....

HEre is one from the 35 Loxia at ISO12800.....f/2...incredible that we can get these shots now!

First off, love the image!

But, is it just me, or is the background bokeh looking little "nervous" here?
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like

The loxia 35 is simply a ZM 35/2 biogon with some minor tweaks to try to get it to work with the thick sony sensor stack.

The Biogon is considered to have some nervous bokeh also, though not in the league of the Contax 45/2 LOL

Here is the ZM 35/2 on an A7.mod (with the thin sensor stack by kolari)

DSC01842 by elleliv, on Flickr

This with a hawks CF adapter as well. Personally I don't have a problem with the Biogon bokeh, and I like this shot, but others are appalled.

Ashwin, you are such a superb shooter, but I will take your M9 work over the A7s, personally. Your shooting technique is great with all your cameras, but the CCD plus M glass seems another league entirely for rendering----to me.

Obviously the A7s can do some high ISO stuff like nothing else I guess, but there's a price, I think.

I now shoot the M9 in low light all the time now, and prefer it to the A7, believe it or not. The secret is simply fast glass, of which there is plenty in M mount. Here is the 75 lux on both M9 and A7---forgive the aside, but it's to my point.

Sym_15_0-213 by psia.ni, on Flickr

Sym_15_0-174 by psia.ni, on Flickr

But back to the Loxia 35/2...does it have an infinity stop?

Oh. I see it does. That is huge.
    Last edited by uhoh7; 31st March 2015 at 22:13.

Post Thanks / Like

My Loxia 35 overshoots infinity a bit. Somewhere, I saw a quote from Zeiss that they designed it that way to ensure achievable infinity focus across the varied A7 series bodies. Having had the A7, A7s and A7m2, each with very different fit across the same lenses, perhaps that is wise. The A7m2 seems the best compromise (A7 was sloppily loose, A7s too tight in some cases), so I guess they're figuring it out successfully along the way.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ashwinrao1 View Post
    A few more Loxia 50 shots...who says Manual Focus can't do sports:

Great shots Ashwin!

I am also amazed as I have had the 50 Loxia now for 2 days and seriously it is a great lens in performance and ergonomics. I also have the 35 Loxia.

I totally agree in combo with my A7II/A7s's and A7r Mod, they are a dream to use, and really I am now reluctant to opt for many of my Leica M lenses as much as I love them. Of course there is the new FE 35/1.4 that is just available and the background bokeh is smooth, but at the expense of weight and size.

The IQ, weight, size and ergonomics the Loxia's are great option IMO
    Charles Kalnins
    Tallai, Queensland Australia.

http://kalnins.zenfolio.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Uhoh7, I agree. There is a cost to be paid for the silence from the A7s. After 4K actuations, I am now beginning to understand its limits. It is a fantastic camera no doubt but it is not an M killer by any stretch and neither will be a future A7x.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    Uhoh7, I agree. There is a cost to be paid for the silence from the A7s. After 4K actuations, I am now beginning to understand its limits. It is a fantastic camera no doubt but it is not an M killer by any stretch and neither will be a future A7x.
    I agree with you both.

The images can't touch the M. Period... That said, the silence *is* gorgeous and allows it to be shot in so many instances that I couldn't get away with on my M.

I don't regret getting the A7S, though. It won't make my heart sing like the M, but it allows me to get away with a lot I'd never be able to without it's silence and amazing high ISO. It will make a lovely travel camera and it does make me smile.

The Loxia lenses may be amazing but, frankly, I really don't want to plunk down that cash on manual focus glass when I already have a plethora of beauties at my disposal. They may be better than the more sterile lenses in the AF FE line-up but, frankly, it's become a bit of a game with me to try and shoot through things and/or reflections to add something special to the image (yes, Vivek, I'll post an example tomorrow -- taken with Guy's old 35/2.8)... Besides, I bought a camera that auto-focuses so guess what I want my lenses to do?

Manual focus may seem a novelty to those who aren't shooting it regularly but, for me, if I'm going to focus myself -- give me my M!
    my flickr

Post Thanks / Like

Please take and post some images taken with your "M" and favorite "M" glass and also the same with the Sony and fe glass so that we also can understand how that "M" stuff is considered by you to be so much above the Sony stuff.

Cheers, Monty

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cam View Post
    I agree with you both.

The images can't touch the M. Period... That said, the silence *is* gorgeous and allows it to be shot in so many instances that I couldn't get away with on my M.

I don't regret getting the A7S, though. It won't make my heart sing like the M, but it allows me to get away with a lot I'd never be able to without it's silence and amazing high ISO. It will make a lovely travel camera and it does make me smile.

The Loxia lenses may be amazing but, frankly, I really don't want to plunk down that cash on manual focus glass when I already have a plethora of beauties at my disposal. They may be better than the more sterile lenses in the AF FE line-up but, frankly, it's become a bit of a game with me to try and shoot through things and/or reflections to add something special to the image (yes, Vivek, I'll post an example tomorrow -- taken with Guy's old 35/2.8)... Besides, I bought a camera that auto-focuses so guess what I want my lenses to do?

Manual focus may seem a novelty to those who aren't shooting it regularly but, for me, if I'm going to focus myself -- give me my M!
    There are days I miss my M (and the only one I would buy today if buying back into Leica M is the MM) but to be honest it say in my Ona Berlin for 4 months untouched after I bought my A7 and A7R. It's not that I didn't love my M9's but rather the A7 series are just a lot more flexible. My ultimate goal was to consolidate from 4 systems (M, A, FE/E, and Micro 4/3) to 1 or 2 systems that could do most everything.

Now I'd say that the M and A77 could accomplish most anything but I'm never going to a smaller than FF sensor if I can help it for any of the photography that I do for myself. It's just not the same no matter how much sensor technology improves. I've also traveled across Europe and Africa with that kit a couple times... Well the M was the only camera that continued to travel with me after the second time I brought along my APS-C DSLR kit. My A7 bodies are a lot lighter and infinitely more flexible than either and that's my main motivation to use them. Even the larger lenses are relatively light compared to the competition in many cases (although it's often apples to oranges while the system is being built out.)

No doubt that the M has the best collection of primes of any system short of going Medium Format and I don't think anyone in their right mind could argue against that fact. The Loxia looks decent but unless I see something mind blowing (for the same reason I spent 3X the price of the 35 Biogon ZM on a 35 Cron ASPH)I will probably stick with my original plan and buy the 35 Distagon.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by slickster View Post
    Please take and post some images taken with your "M" and favorite "M" glass and also the same with the Sony and fe glass so that we also can understand how that "M" stuff is considered by you to be so much above the Sony stuff.

Cheers, Monty
    It's very late here, so I'll be brief... It's not going to happen. I don't shoot brick walls. I shoot moments. And that can't be replicated on two cameras... Suffice to say, I've been shooting M's long enough to know what I can get out of them (for better or worse). My own personal opinion from experience.

I'm absolutely not dissing the Sony. Maybe I'd feel differently if the AA was stripped like on the A7R? Probably. But then I wouldn't have silence and high ISO, so the camera would be of no use to me.
    my flickr

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by slickster View Post

Cheers, Monty
    I'm not Cam but having owned both M (it was my primary system for 4 or 5 years) and being a current Sony FE user I can say the biggest difference is the availability of a wider range of great lenses (mostly in part of one system being 18 months old and the other being 100+ essentially) provided you can deal with manual/zone focusing exclusively.

Either does their intended job very well and either can make the "same" shot so you're asking someone to prove their subject preference.

I don't think anyone will argue that that the Sony is the more flexible system but I also don't think many will argue that the M is the more refined system; provided you're comfortable with being "stuck" between 12-135mm.

As for native Sony FE glass - so far the only lens I personally have loved and still own is the 55FE. I suspect I could like/love the 28FE, 16-35FE, 35 Distagon, 70-200FE, 90 Macro, and the 50 Loxia as well since the ZM50 Planar was my favorite 50mm lens on the M. I've owned and sold the 24-70FE and 35FE (they just didn't live up to my own personal expectations based off reviews, first hand account, and other lenses that I own/adapt.)

I freely admit (unapologetically I might add) my needs/desires may be a bit different than many (maybe even most) other FE owners that want/need smaller and slower glass. I want/need fast (f/2+) glass that's optically excellent with some character and pretty consistent color when needed. Truth be told if Pentax offered leaf shuttered lenses I'd probably sell everything except my A7R-FS and a handful of lenses (where maybe small lenses would matter to me more since I'd have an optical monster, physically and metaphorically, in the Pentax) towards a 645Z at this point.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HiredArm View Post
    I'm not Cam but having owned both M (it was my primary system for 4 or 5 years) and being a current Sony FE user I can say the biggest difference is the availability of a wider range of great lenses (mostly in part of one system being 18 months old and the other being 100+ essentially) provided you can deal with manual/zone focusing exclusively.

Either does their intended job very well and either can make the "same" shot so you're asking someone to prove their subject preference.

I don't think anyone will argue that that the Sony is the more flexible system but I also don't think many will argue that the M is the more refined system; provided you're comfortable with being "stuck" between 12-135mm.

As for native Sony FE glass - so far the only lens I personally have loved and still own is the 55FE. I suspect I could like/love the 28FE, 16-35FE, 35 Distagon, 70-200FE, 90 Macro, and the 50 Loxia as well since the ZM50 Planar was my favorite 50mm lens on the M. I've owned and sold the 24-70FE and 35FE (they just didn't live up to my own personal expectations based off reviews, first hand account, and other lenses that I own/adapt.)

I freely admit (unapologetically I might add) my needs/desires may be a bit different than many (maybe even most) other FE owners that want/need smaller and slower glass. I want/need fast (f/2+) glass that's optically excellent with some character and pretty consistent color when needed. Truth be told if Pentax offered leaf shuttered lenses I'd probably sell everything except my A7R-FS and a handful of lenses (where maybe small lenses would matter to me more since I'd have an optical monster, physically and metaphorically, in the Pentax) towards a 645Z at this point.
    Likewise having had the M bodies now for 5 years M9, M9P, MM and M240 and wonderful set of M lenses, I loved the system. I have only recently sold my last M240 body about 6 months ago and I have not regretted. Most of M lenses are still with me and the Sony system is evolving quickly. It is not a question to which a better system, just what works for us and our artistic needs

Keeping with the thread the Loxia 35 and 50 are wonderful option with the A7 bodies, and I suspect they have been designed for the A7II and later bodies that will be coming out.
    Charles Kalnins
    Tallai, Queensland Australia.

http://kalnins.zenfolio.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

What a great debate. I actually went back and took a look at my photos from the M9, spanning 5 years....I do find that in some instances, particularly at base ISO, it's clear that the M9 has a special characteristic of IQ rendering...Further, the RF experience itself is quite inspiring. The A7 series expands the DR and ISO capabilities dramatically, and at times, the DR is so much that it's hard to coax pop that we are used to seeing from lower DR sensors....I struggle with this at times, but have many images taken the the A7s and Leica lenses that experienced viewers believe are coming from an M9...all of that said, the Loxia's have their own characteristic signature and are known to render a certain type of image.

You all have me thinking hard about what gear I will take on my next trip overseas to Iceland and beyond...A7s and Loxias, or M kit with M9p and Monochrom..the choice is not clear cut...

And Jack, you are right...the 35 Lox does occasionally produce a busy bokeh...the Leica 35's are far smoother, particularly the 'cron...
    Ashwin Rao
    Seattle, WA
    My Photography

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

And agreed with above..there's no such thing yet as an M killer. Leica is yet to be matched for feel of camera, pride of ownership, or performance of lenses...the sensors, within their defined limits, also hard to top....and the Monochrom is truly unbeatable, in my opinion...
    Ashwin Rao
    Seattle, WA
    My Photography

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Tre, you makes some great points... the Loxia 50 is a 50 planar re-do, so I think you'd love it. The thing I love about loxias is their build (they feel like M lens-quality builds), the way they implement focus, and their smaller size...to me, fit the A7 series haptics better than the 90 macro, for example...huge lens, or the 35 distagon, which I love (IQ wise, from what I see) but is too big (volume wise...have heard it's not heavy)
    Ashwin Rao
    Seattle, WA
    My Photography

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Cam, THe AA can be stripped from the A7s...Kolarivision does this....I am tempted. Charles has had a mod done for his A7R, and I am toying with the idea for my A7s, though I am not sure how loxia performance may be affected and worry a bit about this...
    Ashwin Rao
    Seattle, WA
    My Photography

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Cam, great to hear from you!!!

You know, I felt the same way about the loxias (redundant to my M's, as both are manual focus), but then I tried them out....and they had to be in my kit. I immediately sold my 35 and 55 FE lenses, to get the loxias, and zero regrets...

All of that said, I still love my M9P and adore the MM...they do make the heart and soul sing!
    Ashwin Rao
    Seattle, WA
    My Photography

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

And keep in mind, all that the M9 would not have been able to make the first shot that I posted...the A7s barely blinks at ISO 12800...which is bonkers....
    Ashwin Rao
    Seattle, WA
    My Photography

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Jack..yes...actually reminds me of older 35's in this regard...not always a bad thing, as it adds definition to the OOF...that being said, not always a good thing either
    Ashwin Rao
    Seattle, WA
    My Photography