Site Sponsors

Thread: 21mm Color Skopar Real Talk

Post Thanks / Like

21mm Color Skopar Real Talk

I know the 21/4 is not a great performer on the Sony's w/o sensor modification. Can anybody show an example of this lenses performance with and without the mod? I would use it creatively so ultimate corner sharpness is not super important to me. It just needs to be useable for a traveling handheld landscape.

So far I use the 40/1.4 SC Nokton and a CY 50/1.4 Planar and the're fantastic.

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 21mm Color Skopar Real Talk

Have you checked the olympus 21mm? Friendlier on the A7.

Post Thanks / Like

Unfortuneately the handheld landscapes are what suffer the most. Infinity shots bring out the sensor issues and landscape detail suffers heavily outside the center on the stock cameras. Very few consider the CV 21/4 usable without a mod.

On the Mod it is just usable, for me, but Nico at FM has some pretty decent architecture with the Mod.

here is the CV21 at f/8 with Kolari sensor mod:
    a7M_CV21_8 by unoh7, on Flickr

and f/11:

a7M_CV21_11 by unoh7, on Flickr

looks like f/11 is pretty acceptable really:

a7M_CV21_11 by unoh7, on Flickr

the lens is so tiny, nothing to carry.

BTW all mods are delayed due to a fire at Schott.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Speedgraphic View Post
    I know the 21/4 is not a great performer on the Sony's w/o sensor modification. Can anybody show an example of this lenses performance with and without the mod? I would use it creatively so ultimate corner sharpness is not super important to me. It just needs to be useable for a traveling handheld landscape.

So far I use the 40/1.4 SC Nokton and a CY 50/1.4 Planar and the're fantastic.

Thanks!
    Personally, I found the amount of color shifting with the Color Skopar 21/4 on the A7 too much to deal with unless you're going to use image processing tools to reduce/remove it. The combination works ok for B&W if corners and edges don't need to be critically sharp. Using Lightroom and the Adobe Flat Field plugin to process raw files, you can get nearly perfect results from it.

G