The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Samples VM-E Close Adapter and M-bayonet lenses

biglouis

Karlphoto asked a good question (below) about the impact of the Voigtlander VM-E close adapter on the 90 Elmarit lens.

Below are 'normal' vs 'close' examples when using this adapter on a Sony A7S. Incidentally, I really like the rendering of the 90 Elmarit on both the A7R and A7S cameras.

For the uninformed the VM-E adapter has a helicoid which moves the lens away from the sensor acting a bit like a macro tube. It shortens the focussing distance but the benefit varies - the wider the angle the closer the focus.

I don't find much benefit from the adapter but I will state that it is beautifully made and equal if not better than my Novaflex adapter - both of which are high quality adapters for M-bayonet lenses for the Sony NEX/Alpha systems.

Normal close focusing distance on Leica Elmarit 90/2.8

With close focus adapter engaged on Leica Elmarit 90/2.8

Normal close focusing distance on Leica Elmar 50/2.8

With close focus adapter engaged on Leica Elmar 50/2.8

Normal close focusing distance on Voigtlander Ultron 21/1.8

With close focus adapter engaged on Voigtlander Ultron 21/1.8

Knorp

The Ultron does pretty well. At least the enlarging effect is the most pronounced.
Perhaps a 28 or 35 works best with this adapter ?

Kind regards.

V

Vivek

Wider the lens, bigger the effect. The Cosina 12mm, for example, has the biggest effect with extension.

Knorp

Wider the lens, bigger the effect. The Cosina 12mm, for example, has the biggest effect with extension.
Yes, I can imagine that, but will you still be able to focus or is it more or less fixed ?

Kind regards.

V

Vivek

If you use a focusable extension like the Hawk adapter of the Cosina adapter, yes. ;)

Even otherwise, the answer is yes as the lenses are focusable.

biglouis

I actually used the old 'rock back and forth' method to focus with the Ultron 21 as I was almost touching the centre of the flower with the lens. I was also stopped down to f11.

I must try the same shot with the Ultron at f1.8 - only to see how shallow the depth of field will be that close up.

LouisB

iiiNelson

Seems like the new CV15/4.5v3 lens would make a great addition to the bag with this adapter.

mbroomfield

Seems like the new CV15/4.5v3 lens would make a great addition to the bag with this adapter.
This is the V3 15mm Heliar, it was about a foot away from the pulley at F8. This was taken with a Hawks, not the VM-E, but the same principle. The helicoid was only about 1/3 deployed to get this close. 'scuse the finger top left...

mbroomfield

Good question. I posted some more images on the A7x thread. You can definitely see a slight magenta tinge in the corners on the photos closer to infinity so it needs it, but it's nowhere near as bad as the earlier versions and it's nice and sharp into the corners on the a7r.