The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Switching tires

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Well I'm thinking of changing some things up. I shoot many things but my biggest issue is PR type stuff and AF in low light. Quality is not paramount here but I have rented and owned the 24-70 F4 Sony several times and it simply does not AF well in low light and its pissing me off. I'm thinking for the A7II and this stuff getting a Tamron 24-70 2.8 which I had back in my Nikon days and was a great performer heck even a Sigma 24-70 2.8 is not rated awesome but would work for this stuff which is usually flash at 6.3 grip and grin crap. Hate it but it makes me money. LOL Folks it's all about money here nothing that turns my jets on. I was thinkng Ng of selling my 85 1.4 for it than on the A7r side of the house I can get lenses where Af is meaningless. Still keep my 16-35, 35 and 50 Loxia and the new 90 Macro plus my Minolta 200 would be a really nice creative high MPX a Kit. On the PR side I can still through in the bag the 16-35, Tammy 24-70 as primary and 200mm. I could even throw in the 2 Loxia but bottom line I need a 2.8 AF zoom lens than I cant stop screwing around with this stuff. The ZA Sony 24-70 is not bad either but I'm not willing to spend that kind of money.

So I'm looking for a trade for the 85 1.4 for a 2.8 zoom or sell the 85 out right. Thoughts on what 2.8 zoom would AF best on these A7 series. Obviously it's going to be a A mount with my LAe4 adapter.
What's been hurting all along is I been stifled on my high Mpx Kit just to keep the PR kit in tack. I want to seperate this but be able to stretch across the cabinet when needed.

V

Vivek

I would think that the adapted lenses will focus slower than the native one.

Guy Mancuso

Yes and no the adapter actually works quite well with SSM glass . More my issue is the dang cameras can't see in low light with F4 very well and even AF. It's not so much speed of the AF it's the ability to see to even focus. I get sometimes just a freeze up because it gets lost in the dark

pegelli

I think the LA-EA4 has the A99 PDAF focusing system in there (sensors and mirror). Pretty good, but probably not as fast/good as the A77II.
Most probably better in low light then an f4 zoom lens and CDAF.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Or you could get a camera system that actually has a good supply of faster AF lenses dedicated to it? (Gee, I think I've complained about this very thing with Sony E before? :ROTFL:)

I know, I know, for you Sony E is the end all system, you've hammered that point every time I bring up any of its warts. But a point I've hammered back is that good AF is a big void with the E system platform.

You already know *MY* preference for outstanding AF and it aint anything Sony makes. Perhaps you'd be better served with an A mount Sony of some type? At least here with an adapter, the glass would be reasonably usable on your E...

Guy Mancuso

The A6000 is possibly the answer as well. Not only is it very fast to AF it may handle lower light levels better to boot. Seriously I may just sell the A7r get a A6000 and just wait it out for the A7r replacement . I could put a 16-50 2.8 on the A6000 which is a 24-70 and its a decent lens too. I'm in mental debate and right now just thinking out loud. But I can shoot the A7II as my creative kit for awhile, it's no loss but 12 mpx from the A7r. Big deal

I meant the 16-50 DT lens not the kit lens

Guy Mancuso

Or you could get a camera that actually has a good supply of AF lenses dedicated to it?

I know, I know, for you, Sony E is the end all system -- you've hammered that point. But for those of us that DO regularly appreciate excellent AF, there are other, superior choices than Sony offers in their E mount platform -- really. Perhaps you'd be better served with an A mount Sony of some type? At least here with an adapter, the glass would be usable on your E...
Actually I ran into the same issues with Nikon and F4 it's the lens speed. The adapter is really a non issue. It's really the ability to see for these cameras. The A77II did a really good job of it but I was trying to go all FE bodies. But I had a 1.8 and 2.8 zoom for it too.

End of day it's not incredibly important as I get by but sometimes it's just a PITA

Guy Mancuso

BTW much to costly to go back to Nikon and end of day it really does not buy me much at all. I don't want that bulk anymore either. The issue is Sony in the FE mount are not making 2.8 zooms because all the freaking whiners about camera size vs lens size.

Guy Mancuso

Or you could get a camera system that actually has a good supply of faster AF lenses dedicated to it? (Gee, I think I've complained about this very thing with Sony E before? :ROTFL:)

I know, I know, for you Sony E is the end all system, you've hammered that point every time I bring up any of its warts. But a point I've hammered back is that good AF is a big void with the E system platform.

You already know *MY* preference for outstanding AF and it aint anything Sony makes. Perhaps you'd be better served with an A mount Sony of some type? At least here with an adapter, the glass would be reasonably usable on your E...
Btw the A77ii is far faster than you think, they compare it almost equal to the D4 if not better in some areas for a load less money.

Jack Nikon is meaningless to me . I never liked the colors the lenses or much about it. It was the only thing available after the MF stuff. You like it but I bought all ZEISS glass for it, so end of day what was the whole point of it. AF or not the D800e sucked at it outside the central point.

I'm actually quite sick of hearing about Nikon and at this point will never buy it again just because of that alone.

rayyan

Fuji could care less about whinners.

They just make excellent lenses..2.8, 1.2, 1.4, 4.

They have realised that physics is relevant
to the size, aperture, and fl.

As have the Dslr makers, and mFT.

But some are still fighting physics and their
Supporters are waiting for a new physics
paradigm.

Guy Mancuso

I had some real file issues with my fuji . I kept getting patern issues on the files. Really weird but I agree they make some nice glass for sure.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Actually I ran into the same issues with Nikon and F4 it's the lens speed. The adapter is really a non issue. It's really the ability to see for these cameras. The A77II did a really good job of it but I was trying to go all FE bodies. But I had a 1.8 and 2.8 zoom for it too.

End of day it's not incredibly important as I get by but sometimes it's just a PITA
You ran into it on the D800E. f4 does not present an AF problem on the D810 or of all things, the Df :) But I totally understand you don't like or want Nikon, no skin off my nose -- I love its files and mechanics -- different strokes.

jfirneno

Guy:
If you need low-light autofocus capability can you rent an A7S and try your FE glass on that? The A7S does not have very fast autofocus but it does have good low light sensing capability. It can usually lock on better than the A7R in low light. I say rent because I don't recommend buying it without knowing your exact conditions. I mentioned your FE lenses because it doesn't give better performance for adapted a-mount lenses because that still depends on the LAEA4 adapter for autofocus.

Guy Mancuso

John been thinking about that as well and honestly i don't need more than 12mpx for this stuff anyway. Its a real option I am considering now. The A7r is going to be sold anyway at some point to be replaced with a new model when it comes out and I can certainly use the A7II in its roll for awhile. Really not a big issue to sell it now and get the A7s. Hmmm plus i get tremendous high ISO to boot.

segedi

I think the solution will present itself once the conflict of what you want vs what you have vs what you need to make $ resolves itself.

V

Vivek

There is absolutely no comparison (IQ wise) between the A7 series cams vs the NEX ("Alpha APS-C", E mount") with tiny pixels.

The A7s is a cut above everything. AF is also very fast even in low light.

Guy, If 12 is enough, you have spectacular choice, albeit a bit pricey.

iiiNelson

I was going to recommend the A7s as well. It locks on in low light with f/4 lenses no problem. I actually tried it last summer in the stock room with the 70-200 mounted of the GAS Pusher (camera store.) I was shooting and locking on stopped down to f/8 with ISO between 25600 and 102400. Really impressive and if Sony put out a replacement in the future with at least 16MP I'll buy one as my everyday camera no question.