The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Loxia 2.0/35 vs. FE Sonnar 2.8/35

thomas

just ordered one :)
time to sell some stuff I am definitely not going to use anymore...
the Loxia 50 has been shipped today. At home I am not able to do any meaningful testing ... but first snapshots look very promising.
This Loxia line is just great - really small, extremely well built lenses that perfectly match the A7R's EVF focusing capabilities. Too, personally I would almost always favor f2 over faster lenses in this range of focal lengths (less distortion, smaller).
My small (landscape + architecture) camera case will soon only contain the A7R, the 2 Loxias (batteries & cards) as well a P45 on a Cambo WRS with the Schneider Digitar 43XL (cards, batteries, groundglass, loupe, laser distometer and so forth) for wide angle. The wide angle capabilities of the P45 in conjunction with the very large image circle of the 43XL are very hard to beat (and translate to the field of view of a ~21mm lens when stitching). I also have to say that I don't like the handling of shift-lenses on 135-format cameras ... I much prefer the tech cam with the digiback.
I am looking forward to even more versions of the Loxia line (28mm + 85mm would be great).

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
My Loxia 50 shipped yesterday from Hong Kong. Bought it at Shenikon which seems to be a big camera store there. They also use expedited shipping. I have to agree on the Loxia line, it's really maybe the perfect setup for these cams and F2 is totally acceptable. I would love to get a 5 lens series of them and dump everything else. I love the color, contrast and look of these. Really looking forward to the 50. I picked up a Sigma 24-70 2.8 for PR stuff which does not have to be the best lens on the planet wide open with a flash and a good 5.6 that covers that type of work. Also frees me to buy really whatever the heck I want for the higher Mpx cam and for me manual lenses is all I really want.