The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica M-mount lens w/ Novoflex adapter

jafleming3

I have Sony A7S. When I attach an M-mount lens (either Leica or Zeiss), using a Novoflex adapter, I get the following error message: "Invalid because lens not attached. Attach the lens correctly." I've set everything as suggested and I can take photos, focus manually and/or use peaking, but I can't magnify or enlarge to validate proper focus. Is this the way it's supposed to work?

cheers,

john

nsng

I have Sony A7S. When I attach an M-mount lens (either Leica or Zeiss), using a Novoflex adapter, I get the following error message: "Invalid because lens not attached. Attach the lens correctly." I've set everything as suggested and I can take photos, focus manually and/or use peaking, but I can't magnify or enlarge to validate proper focus. Is this the way it's supposed to work?

cheers,

john
Is it you want to view the image and enlarge it? In that case, you need to press the preview button first and then C2 and then use the dial next to C2 to adjust magnification.

Last edited:

Annna T

cheers,

john
Check this : in the "gear" part of the menu, submenu 4, did you enable the item "Release without lens" ?

jafleming3

I did enable 'release w/o lens'; still get the error message. I want to magnify the image in the EVF before I take the photo (to ensure sharp focus). I can focus and use peaking, but no magnification, and I get the error message indicating something is wrong.

V

Vivek

You are pushing wrong button!

Try C1 (factory default, the C2 is for image magnification of captured images that are displayed). Remove any adapter, lens and try it. It will work.

jafleming3

'This operation is not available in manual focus mode'? So C1 doesn't work. And what about the error message (Invalid because lens is not attached)?

jafleming3

My troubles are: (1) in Setup menu (3) Focus Mode - Manual is greyed out; when I click on it: "Lens! Invalid because lens not attached. Attach the lens correctly.' But I attached the lens correctly, I turned on 'release w/o lens'. And I can focus and take photos. (2) I cannot magnify the image to critical focus before I take the photo. A medium-sized square appears in the center of the screen, but the image is not magnified. Novoflex is one of the best adapters made, so it's not the adapter. I have the latest firmware. Am I the only one that has this problem? Can everyone magnify their images to critical focus with Leica and Zeiss m-mount lenses?

V

Vivek

We have some progress! :D

Now, whatever button you push to get the rectangle, push it again! This magnifies to 7.4x or so. If you push it one more time it goes over 11X mag.

***** Novoflex. It is no way the best adapter made. It is overpriced, very much so!

jafleming3

You solved my problem, Vivek - many thanks! I have the error message, but have full functionality. BTW, which adaptor would you recommend? Again, thanks for your excellent advice!

V

Vivek

John, Glad it worked out. :) If the adapter you are using works, just use it. :)
If the Leica/Zeiss lenses give less than optimal (as opposed to a Leica M camera) it is because they are not made for the Sony cams.

BTW, the MF (focus modes) will be grey when a non Sony E lens is attached. It is there to enable AF, DMF and MF. It is of no use when a manual focus lens is attached.

Mark Muse

Vivek, which adapters do you feel are better than Novoflex for less money? I am not baiting you, this is an honest question.

V

Vivek

Mark, I use an adapter branded "K&F concept " that can be found at the usual outlets (in my case it was ~$10 shipped). I find everything about it satisfactory enough to mount the likes of AA 75/2. I have 2 of these.

I know of at least one report (elsewhere) of a light leak from one of these and that user used the hand strap to wrap around the front to take care of it. I checked my samples and at ISO400K and 13s there were no leaks to be found.

Godfrey

... BTW, which adaptor would you recommend? ...
I've had plenty of good experience with Novoflex adapters on Sony E-mount and Micro-FourThirds mount. Whether they're the best or not, I couldn't say. One of the nice things about the Novoflex adapters is that I can use an accessory mount for the tripod (ASTAT/NEX and ASTAT/MFT) with these adapters that takes the load off the camera's baseplate when using heavy SLR lenses.

I've had no problems at all with the Novoflex NEX/LEM adapter (or NEX/LER, or NEX/NIK), but Leica M-mount lenses shorter than 35-40mm are only occasionally a good match to the Sony A7 sensor; it depends on the particular lens' design. The A7r and A7s sensors respond differently to the lenses so that will influence what you get with these lenses. The same will be true with any good adapter.

The best of the other mount adapters that I've used are the Rayqual adapters, which I usually get from Japan Exposures (japan exposures | a personal introduction to Japanese photography). They are the least likely to have focus calibration errors (the infinity index is accurate) of the adapters I've had. Most run about two-thirds the price of the equivalent Novoflex adapter.

The Kipon adapters*I've had are next down the line from them.

The ones I've had terrible experience with are made by Metabones : terrible variances between adapters of the same model, and many that just outright do not fit correctly on either the lens or the camera mount, or both. I returned all of these, the third of which I'd exchanged three times. I won't buy another.

G

iiiNelson

I've had great experiences too with Novoflex and Voigtlander. Whether or not they're overpriced I can't say but in both cases they've worked as advertised. I didn't have to go through multiple copies either.

jafleming3

I have used the Novoflex from the beginning and have no complaints. They are rock-solid and well built - no wobbling, or play, or problems with light leaks, etc. It is an expensive adapter ($200 +/-), but not the most expensive one; is it overpriced - perhaps, but that's usually an opinion. I've read that the Voightlander is the best and the most expensive, but I can't comment from experience. I'm quite happy with and would highly recommend the Novoflex.

V

Vivek

The prices of these dumb adapters is a testimony what is wrong with the Sony E mount. It is just plain crazy, especially given the plastic mounts in A7/A7r and all the NEX'.

iiiNelson

The prices of these dumb adapters is a testimony what is wrong with the Sony E mount. It is just plain crazy, especially given the plastic mounts in A7/A7r and all the NEX'.
Maybe you're correct but I simply don't have the patience or ANY desire to buy the Chinese knockoffs. Just way too many personal horrible experiences with cheap Chinese crap. I rather spend a bit more to know that the company/manufacturer will stand behind their product... Let's call it a "peace of mind tax."

That applies to most manufactured goods and not just camera stuff though.

V

Vivek

Let me correct you, Tre. Did you mean the Chinese originals and the knock offs from Noflex and Cosina? :D

All these adapters originate from China (with the possible exception of RayQual adapters). including the focusing adapter from Hawk, a knock off or a copy of that was brought out by Cosina. ;)

These so called "established" companies have a vacuum for creativity. That is an established fact.

iiiNelson

Maybe so but at least they pay people to QC batches to ensure that they're produced within tighter tolerances. Either way... I like my Novoflex and Voigtlander adapters - no issues at all with them and I don't mind paying more for nicer quality.