The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Mitakon 85 1.2 announcement

V

Vivek

I have a lot of lenses as "stop gap". Actually, considering how long it takes for Sony to come up with any decent lens they are more or less "permanent". :D

mjm6

Well not sure cost wise they are 800 dollars and 1.2 to boot but I agree some nice Leica glass in this range. This might sell very well. Of course as Tre said there is a 90 coming and it's native and has AF but that's not till August. Yuk
No Leica glass at that speed, however.

That price is close to what you can get a Canon 85 f1.2 L lens for. The Canon is less likely to lose value from that point, and since the Mitacon has no connections to the camera, there are no advantages in EXIF recording over the Canon.

I think the obvious decision is between those two lenses, probably based on which lens you prefer the bokeh rendering on. Unless there is a significant difference in sharpness, which could confound the decision-making process.

I have a Canon 85/1.2. I bought one again after selling my original one when I went to the EF mount back in about 2000. Love that lens, and would't consider exchanging it unless there is something truly spectacular about the Mitakon.

---Michael

iiiNelson

The 90/2.8 macro and this 85/1.2 are like apples and onions.

We need a Sony AF 85/2 and a faster one (with no pretentious blue tags). The sorry state of the E mount story continues.
I don't know about you but I like the blue tagged glass that I've kept (55FE and 135/1.8 Sonnar.) I don't care if Zeiss or Cosina makes the 50 Loxia/ZM - it's an amazing piece of glass and definitely worth the price IMO. At the very least I like to have a familial signature and color in my lenses.

FWIW the 28FE is cheap enough that I'm gambling on it and the UWA adapter too. The 90 Macro is a definite buy for me despite only being f/2.8 which I'm mostly against but I imagine it'll be impressively sharp from wide open but if not I still have a Leica 90 Summicron Pre-AA for portraits.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Warning jumping OT. I know a lot of people won't use a 200mm for a portrait thinking it maybe to long. Im not in that camp , I actually prefer something long and folks there aint much better than a Minolta 200mm 2.8 HS lens. For a lens made in 1984 this thing is just bloody sharp. I even airbrushed this some and knocked down clarity and put very little sharpening on it. Its biting sharp otherwise.

I used the A7II body this time tethered to C1

Shot at F6.3 and watch the fall off. Its perfect

V

Vivek

I don't know about you but I like the blue tagged glass that I've kept (55FE and 135/1.8 Sonnar.) I don't care if Zeiss or Cosina makes the 50 Loxia/ZM - it's an amazing piece of glass and definitely worth the price IMO. At the very least I like to have a familial signature and color in my lenses.

FWIW the 28FE is cheap enough that I'm gambling on it and the UWA adapter too. The 90 Macro is a definite buy for me despite only being f/2.8 which I'm mostly against but I imagine it'll be impressively sharp from wide open but if not I still have a Leica 90 Summicron Pre-AA for portraits.
I have a few lenses in 85mm FL range. Waiting for that Sony FE 85/2, 105/2 and 135/2 along with a 21/2, 24/2, 35/2 and 50/2. Blue label, red tag, bird name , Mitakon, whatever, etc, OK, more the merrier but I am not budging. Let us see some regular AF lenses that are compact.

I dont need an AF macro.

V

Vivek

It will never even get there! It isn't enticing enough to elicite any interest in trying! :shocked:

Malina DZ

With a 11 blade aperture this maybe the bokeh king.
AFAIK, 10+ aperture blade construction doesn't necessarily equate to bokeh royalty in terms of smooth transitions or shape of highlight points when stopping down. And speaking of Mitakon here's an example of their 85/2 Creator at f/2.8:

Good to see another 85mm option and, possibly, the only native 85/1.2 for A-mount. It better beat 85/1.4ZA IQ for the asking $800.

mmbma

AFAIK, 10+ aperture blade construction doesn't necessarily equate to bokeh royalty in terms of smooth transitions or shape of highlight points when stopping down. And speaking of Mitakon here's an example of their 85/2 Creator at f/2.8:

Good to see another 85mm option and, possibly, the only native 85/1.2 for A-mount. It better beat 85/1.4ZA IQ for the asking $800.
you are right of course, that 11 blade don't necessarily mean smooth bokeh. but look at this sample image!

ugly model, beautiful bokeh

V

Vivek

Good point! It is the size and the shape of the diaphram rather than the number of blades that matters the most. The 9 bladed aperture of the current Sony FE lenses all are pretty much rounded. They did get that right. :thumbs:

V

Vivek

I just looked the Sony FE 28/2 and the Olympus OM F.Zuiko 85/2 (with an adapter) side by side. Almost the same size! It should not be difficult to make an FE 85/2, the size of of the 28/2 (which is already quite large enough).

Malina DZ

but look at this sample image!
I did look at other samples on their webpage as well. Very good center sharpness and CA control for f/1.2.
Let's see what it can deliver in terms of highlight shape and corner resolution at f/2. I wonder why zyoptics doesn't post MTF graphs?

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
The samples look pretty darn good reason I even started the thread. It's a option that at least is peaking my interest. Obviously like to see some reviews and tests but 800 bucks it just might be worth trying. For me it's about getting away from adapters