Site Sponsors

Thread: A mount comes to an end

Post Thanks / Like

A mount comes to an end

I came to this Forum because of the beautiful images A900 gave us and I subsequent bought A850, to keep my tons of A mount lenses. Well honestly I disagree with Sony in so many ways like SLT implement, 11bit processor etc etc but have never expected Sony will make a decision to conclude all amount bodies.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: A mount comes to an end

Quote Originally Posted by Mark K View Post
    I came to this Forum because of the beautiful images A900 gave us and I subsequent bought A850, to keep my tons of A mount lenses. Well honestly I disagree with Sony in so many ways like SLT implement, 11bit processor etc etc but have never expected Sony will make a decision to conclude all amount bodies.
    Mark:
    I started out with the A-850 and was dismayed when the DSLR was abandoned for the SLT type. But I've really gotten to enjoy my Minolta and Sony a-mount lenses on the A7 cameras. I find myself using my A-850 less and less frequently.

Eventually e-mount will supplant a-mount. But in the meantime there should be a couple of more full frame SLT cameras. Assuming there will be an acceptable upgrade to the AF of the A7 cameras and a few more upgrades of the LAEA adapters for the a-mount lenses then this should allow a gradual transition of the a-mount lens owners to the new platform.
    Regards,
    John
    Sony fanboy, shamelessly shilling for "the man" since 2010.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I didn't know it was officially dead...
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

Post Thanks / Like

It is an evolution

Thanks for the kind words. I was quite down after reading that rumor. Hope it is a rumor and rumor only.
    Got an A6000 and found the AF is reasonably well and have no idea why the A7II cannot use full sensor PD AF like A6000. A7II feels exceptionally well design, still a bit smaller for A mount lenses.

Post Thanks / Like

get the a77II it isnt full frame but it is A mount.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HiredArm View Post
    I didn't know it was officially dead...
    Nothing official but the "Wikileak" leak of recent Sony documents included a list of camera launches for Apr/May/Jun that included an A-6000 rev, an A7 camera but no A-mount which has disappointed a lot of Sony a-mount users and encouraged the annoying "A-MOUNT IS DEAD" gloaters to start up. I mean it's impossible to know exactly when Sony will transition fully to e-mount but I think that the gradual transition using LAEA adapters has been pretty smooth. Anyway, once they perfect the PDAF I'll be all set. So far I think Sony has been a good option for my photography and I only think it will get better.
    Regards,
    John
    Sony fanboy, shamelessly shilling for "the man" since 2010.

Post Thanks / Like

Though not about photography at all, I thought this article, about creating a cinematic future that ages gracefully, might also apply to attempts to predict the real future too.

Buy gear for what it can do for you now because all of today's systems will be discontinued, the only question is when. Sometimes change comes swiftly and dramatically: Just ask Blackberry, Nokia and Motorola.

Post Thanks / Like

4season
    Great ideas

Post Thanks / Like

If it's a rumor just think of Mark Twain : "The report of my death was an exaggeration"

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

More troubling than the possible death of the A mount is the leaks from a disgruntled ex Sony employee (blamed on Kim and N.Korea) and the lack of decently sized and priced new lenses for the E mount.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Well I'm sure I read there were updated 16-35 and 24-70 lenses being released soon.

Post Thanks / Like

Mark, I shoot an a900 primarily for water sports (water polo and swimming) and while it is ok for swimming, it is tough to use for water polo. I have to wring every bit if skill and patience from my body just to take decent shots. If Sony can come up with a decent AF tracking (the a900's is useless for water polo, as I am sure most AF systems are when trying to focus on a water polo ball being tossed rapidly from player to player) I will stay with them. I may even jump to the a77II for the extra reach.

The a900 files are terrific, but you know, to everything there is a season. Give the mirrorless cameras a try. Many people love them, and the files seem nice.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pegelli View Post
    If it's a rumor just think of Mark Twain : "The report of my death was an exaggeration"
    A-mount image leaks is FAKE! | sonyalpharumors

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yea it's all been fake but not a popular comment but as far as Sony resources maybe it's not a bad idea if they put a ton of energy in the FE mount and release a whole diffrent sets of lenses. Give us 1.4 and F2 and continue on the small 2.8 versions. But there zooms also need to get to 2.8 bigger or not. People like me need the. Regardless if there big. Now not to say the cams themselves need to step it up with AF as well
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

It's E mount that's needed the serious love.

What is missing in the A-mount line up between Sony and sigma etc.?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

If they don't pour millions in stupid, hollywood B grade movies that are doomed for major fails, they will have lots of money to go around for R&D.

Post Thanks / Like

SAR posted a comment that the rumour is fake and was posted in his comments section then copied

When a FAKE becomes so strong that it’s hard to make it go away. | sonyalpharumors

EDIT : I see Pegelli beat me to it ..
    Last edited by mbroomfield; 18th April 2015 at 11:44. Reason: Update

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well, I'm sure the rumor is fake . . . . but Guy, I understand you're need for f2.8 zooms . . . . . but is the E mount actually wide enough to do this properly?

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    ... but is the E mount actually wide enough to do this properly?
    I think this would be no problem, A-mount 2.8 zooms work fine via an LA-EA 3 or 4, so I see no obvious reason they could not be produced in native E-mount. In the worst case they just leave the first part of the lens after the mount "empty".

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by pegelli View Post
    I think this would be no problem, A-mount 2.8 zooms work fine via an LA-EA 3 or 4, so I see no obvious reason they could not be produced in native E-mount. In the worst case they just leave the first part of the lens after the mount "empty".
    Hi there - well, that's certainly true . . . but it makes them bigger - I just wonder whether Sony rushed into the FF concept with the E mount without reflecting whether it would actually have been better to have re-designed a wider mount.

Just this guy you know
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi there - well, that's certainly true . . . but it makes them bigger - I just wonder whether Sony rushed into the FF concept with the E mount without reflecting whether it would actually have been better to have re-designed a wider mount.
    I have the same feeling. I think that Sony should keep two FF lines : the A7 series small bodies like the first version, with small but somewhat slower lenses (aka the digital RF equivalent) and then create mirrorless bodies for the A mount; then the ones needing faster but bigger lenses could get a better balanced body, one that may even be a little smaller than traditional pro DSLRs, but offering all the advantages of modern technology (aka mirrorless, with fast hybrid AF).

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

One could say the same thing about the
    Leica M mount.

They should have discarded the film era mount for a much wider mount for digital. Having a RF coupling in the optical path, shiny metal parts in lenses and all that is hardly helpful to get good IQ. Despite all the real fundamental problems, it is a real miracle that it is still surviving.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Annna T View Post
    I have the same feeling. I think that Sony should keep two FF lines : the A7 series small bodies like the first version, with small but somewhat slower lenses (aka the digital RF equivalent) and then create mirrorless bodies for the A mount; then the ones needing faster but bigger lenses could get a better balanced body, one that may even be a little smaller than traditional pro DSLRs, but offering all the advantages of modern technology (aka mirrorless, with fast hybrid AF).
    That would be an option if it maintained short flange distance (which it couldn't if it was built for the A-mount) so that people had the ability to bolt any lens on the camera - otherwise there's less flexibility in the system than the FE...

Probably just makes a lot more sense to just build a more robust Professional FE body (A9 line) while maintaining the smaller A7 line than to try to build out another 35mm based system. Could you imagine listening to A/FE owners angry (appropriately so) about Sony shafting them for the newest system?

I'm pretty sure (or at least it appears to be) the plan is to build out lenses of different prices, sizes, and speeds in all the popular focal lengths so that people can choose what's best for them (sort of like Leica does it.) Maybe f/1.8 or f/2 will be the start for primes from here on out and f/4 seems to be the balance for zooms. After that you can build the faster f/1.4 or way too small for my hands to manually focus f/4 pancakes.

Truth is DSLR/DSLT is more of a technology test bed for Sony. The higher end cameras they make are as good as the competition when they were released but it's crazy how some say Sony releases bodies too fast regarding E/FE-mount and others are saying they aren't releasing them fast enough although they're pretty close to the standard3 year pro cycle regarding A-mount. I guess you're damned if you do or don't. Either case they really aren't going to cut in past the 5-10% market share on their best days in the DSLR market.

It would be nice (read: a dream) if Sony made an "affordable" mirrorless MF body/system that could shoot anything else with appropriate adapters, FE lenses, or A mount lenses natively with adapters in a crop mode. I'd be all over that but it's probably more of a pipe dream than anything.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    One could say the same thing about the
    Leica M mount.

They should have discarded the film era mount for a much wider mount for digital. Having a RF coupling in the optical path, shiny metal parts in lenses and all that is hardly helpful to get good IQ. Despite all the real fundamental problems, it is a real miracle that it is still surviving.
    I tend to agree except you can get damn good IQ with the Leica M - like most camera these days. Could you imagine Sony alienating those invested in E mount like Leica dropped the R mount altogether until a "solution" came about? Truth be told the FE line is a far better and more ergonomic solution than the M is or will be. No external EVF needed and the profiles are built into Lightroom already - but you don't get metadata.

What's best or what's the best fit for an individual is ultimately in the eye of the beholder though.

Post Thanks / Like

Truth be told the FE line is a far better and more ergonomic solution than the M is or will be.
    There are three lenses in the FE mount near Summarit optical quality, and one good zoom.

Maybe we will have a 90 at that level also.

Ergonomic? Seems video is driving those designs, and even simple infinity stops are few and far between, no?

Overall, to my eyes, contest is not remotely close between M and E. Unless one needs an AF lens or wants a zoom, from 18 to 135, the M mount offers the most and best lenses of any mount, and that will not change for a good long time.

The mount width seems moot moving forward in EVIL configuration, with no more RF couples needed with a Sony body, and the new sensor stack options. Eventually new sensors will also deal better with high ray angles.

If resale is any indicator, the small ultra high quality Leica lenses have more future than E mount primes, the best of which are tuned to the thick, problematic stack of this particular generation of sony sensors.

The M lens quiver is there now. No need to wait to see what Sony decides is important next. And new lenses appear. What is the most exciting new lens at the moment, for me? In terms of images, it's the ZM35/1.4 shooting from the 240 platform (all I have seen yet). Close second is the CV15 v3 which is smoking hot on the 240.

More M lenses.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by uhoh7 View Post
    There are three lenses in the FE mount near Summarit optical quality, and one good zoom.

Maybe we will have a 90 at that level also.

Ergonomic? Seems video is driving those designs, and even simple infinity stops are few and far between, no?

Overall, to my eyes, contest is not remotely close between M and E. Unless one needs an AF lens or wants a zoom, from 18 to 135, the M mount offers the most and best lenses of any mount, and that will not change for a good long time.

The mount width seems moot moving forward in EVIL configuration, with no more RF couples needed with a Sony body, and the new sensor stack options. Eventually new sensors will also deal better with high ray angles.

If resale is any indicator, the small ultra high quality Leica lenses have more future than E mount primes, the best of which are tuned to the thick, problematic stack of this particular generation of sony sensors.

The M lens quiver is there now. No need to wait to see what Sony decides is important next. And new lenses appear. What is the most exciting new lens at the moment, for me? In terms of images, it's the ZM35/1.4 shooting from the 240 platform (all I have seen yet). Close second is the CV15 v3 which is smoking hot on the 240.

More M lenses.
    Sooo... You seem to miss the point that I was referring to the FE bodies compared to an M as an R solution. I also do not like the original Summarits at all so not a good comparison for me. I haven't touched the new ones since I no longer own an M body.

As for the M system great lenses and good to great cameras cameras but limited in flexibility. As for the best selection of lenses from any camera - no but what they offer ranks amongst the best compared to offerings from other companies. Marketing aside there are plenty of great offerings from a variety of manufacturers at more reasonable prices. Maybe the firmware updates have improved it but I passed on the M240 twice (and still have no desire to own one) in the past when compared to my M9-P that I sold about a year ago. It just wasn't for me and it wasn't as nice of a sensor as the FE bodies have.

I believe Leica may be one of the few companies in the world that can get away with charging more for receiving less.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I tend to agree except you can get damn good IQ with the Leica M - like most camera these days.
    If moire, unexpected flares (from the shiny metal bits), etc are not part of that IQ then, yes.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    If moire, unexpected flares (from the shiny metal bits), etc are not part of that IQ then, yes.
    It's character and the rangefinder way... Well actually no moire is just annoying to borderline impossible to try and fix quickly. Don't make them send the ghost of HCB and other Magnum Masters after you!!!
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It's character and the rangefinder way... Well actually no moire is just annoying to borderline impossible to try and fix quickly. Don't make them send the ghost of HCB and other Magnum Masters after you!!!
    Thanks for the reminder! I am going to have chills and that recurring nightmare again tonight!