The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Petition for Sony lossless raw files compression

V

Vivek

You would not find much difference between a Leica RAW and tiff.

OK scratch that. I just saw Jack and Guy's posts. To be specific, you would not find much difference between Nikon RAW (14 bit NEF) files and tiffs. ;)

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
There has been a very long winded debate about DNGs several years ago and really the issue is this. Adobe wanted to a standard in the industry but most OEMs do not want to give up there secret sauce within a DNG file. They want to control what goes into there files. They other side issue was if its Adobe with the control they could force the raw converter use to themselves only. Once you have the power it's hard to stop than. Other raw converter companies also did not want to support DNGs either. So there are many issues involved here and more than I can remember. Bottom line if you ask me it came down to a big trust issue. But I don't know all the details but I don't want a third party controlling my cameras output.

iiiNelson

Fair enough and I can see both sides of the issue although I also don't want a company telling me that I have to use their MF cameras or else use another RAW processor.

It sort of makes multiple RAW converters necessary. Short of me hitting (and that requires me to actually play) the lottery, becoming a full time pro which is highly unlikely anytime soon being that most of my work experience is in another field, and/or unless they make a Sony/Digital Mamiya 7 Mirrorless mashup/offer a less expensive/less flexible option ala Pentax then I'm not buying a Phase One system as the top offering cost more than my vehicle... but their software has grown on me.

4season

FWIW, perhaps an A7 SDK (Software Development Kit) is available from Sony: The A7 series appears to be built upon free/open-source software including the Apache web server and possibly the Linux kernel as well.

Not crazy about proprietary file formats, but at least most of them have been reverse-engineered, dunno about Foveon X3F or Lytro.