Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Zeiss Batis 25/2 and 85/1.8 Coming

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Zeiss Batis 25/2 and 85/1.8 Coming

Crap I meant consider this a very serious commitment . Spell check sucks
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by HiredArm View Post
    Probably the closest we are going to get to a spiritual successor of a modern day Zeiss Ikon.

It's crazy that these were just announced as I just pre-ordered the 28/2 last week after seeing some really good results from it here. These look like they will be winners for the rumored 50MP body if they're anything like the 55FE Sonnar or 35FE Distagon. Just need a 15-21mm and a 135mm option for me to complete a 5-6 prime setup.

Anyone want need a Sigma Art 35 or a Zeiss 135/1.8 anytime in the next 2 months?
    I'm probably going to jump on these two Batis lenses. I'm thinking there going to be outstanding. I would sell my 16-35 for the 25 prime and find a 15 prime somewhere even go back to the Samyang 14mm would not bug me. The 85 is a no brainer , I need that one badly. I just sold my ZA 85 so it's my missing lens.

Love to see a 200mm 2.8 to replace my Minolta so no adapter needed but that might be a long wait . Or a great 135 F2
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Yup... I knew what you meant and I agree. I suppose these will still be too large for some but I think that they appear to balance the line between too large and too small very well. No it's not pocketable nor is it a slow pancake lens but I don't know any FF system camera that can do all of that.

Yeah I will preorder both when I check my discretionary camera budget and/or sell my A-mount lenses as it should cover the costs of both. I can even live with a 70-200/4 (as it takes the same filter as the 35 Distagon that'll arrive in a couple days) zoom until a fast Zeiss or Sony FE 135mm comes.
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

IMHO this announcement just completely made the A7 a valid contender or maybe better said a more complete one. Now it's a system

Maybe we jumped into the system too early some may say but I made some amazing images from it and it has supported my Pro efforts so I don't feel like I jumped in too early but I will say I'm glad it just got more complete on the native FE mount

Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Tre, It is not about money either. If I make a photo and sell it to you (all the rights) so that you can claim it as your own- that is like this Sony-Zeiss. We know (public knowledge) the Sony people who designed the FE lenses. One guy even gave an interview on the 55 and the 35. If you ask any Zeiss optical designer they will not own up to the design which isn't theirs.

Does anyone think Hasselblad designed the Stellar, Lunar and the Solar cams?
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    Tre, It is not about money either. If I make a photo and sell it to you (all the rights) so that you can claim it as your own- that is like this Sony-Zeiss. We know (public knowledge) the Sony people who designed the FE lenses. One guy even gave an interview on the 55 and the 35. If you ask any Zeiss optical designer they will not own up to the design which isn't theirs.

Does anyone think Hasselblad designed the Stellar, Lunar and the Solar cams?
    I guess I just never cared enough about who designed what, where it was design, if it's a genuine design, who paid whom for licensing, whether a said lens was a commissioned/original design, etc... Not in the least bit. It's not meant to be a knock on you at all because I know you are into those types of things. It's just not that much of interest for me to personally dig into - besides the truth/reality is probably buried in NDA's.

What I do care about is does it or does it not perform in a way I deem acceptable. If yes it stays in the bag. If no I return it or keep it if needed until a better solution is presented to me.

Post Thanks / Like

These new Zeiss lenses are great additions.

I am not generally interested in MF only lenses outside of the rangefinder world so this unexpected new direction from Zeiss is more than welcome.

With my Samsung NX1 for sports, action and video and Sony now filling out their lens lineup I expect my Nikon gear to be short lived.

-Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Bill your last comment I was not going to talk about but your right, I lot of Nikon, canon users will look at this as a way to get smaller in system now that it is filling up better. This is a far more reaching announcement than we may just realize today. I came from Nikon and like I said maybe a little earlier than I should onto Sony but more conservative folks that been watching Sony may just make the jump. And let's not forget the new Sony cam announcements that start in the morning. Interesting times

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

They also have another round of announcements in mid-May.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by algrove View Post
    So let's say you have the a7II with 5 axis IBIS. How will this IS in the 85 affect all that? Sorry, I watch Sony with interest, but do not own any.
    Look for A7II reviews, for instance at DPreview. Or look at the Sony release when the A7 was issued : the IBIS and the OIS will work together : each contributing to the stabilization of different axes. But don't ask me which axis are stabilized by which system, I don't remember.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by frozenbb View Post
    Not light, but at least the 85 is lighter than the 90 macro. I don't like the styling, but I've been waiting for this lens since the a7 series was announced. Finally, there's a fast, short-tele for us to play with.
    From the specs, the 85 is pretty close to the size of the Sony 24-70/4 (for those that have that lens to compare). Close focus on the 85 at 2.6 ft is kind of long, unfortunately. I'm glad these have AF though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jagsiva View Post
    I thought the Canadian Leica lenses fetched a premium due to having a "personality" over the german ones, but I could just be biased
    Right or wrong the German 75/1.4 fetches a bit more than the Canadian 75/1.4. Is what is strange is that much of the glass, etc. was ground/fabricated in Canada and then shipped to Germany after Candian production stopped.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It is a safe bet that the Batis 85/1.8 will do better than either or any black painted versions (if they exist).

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

All over both of these. I much prefer the design language of the Sony branded Zeiss lenses (35/2.8, 35/1.4, 55/1.8) over these Touit/Otus-like designs but I can live with it.

Now bring us that 135/1.8 Zeiss!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

My only one concern is manual focus if it has the tension I like or feel. I hate those loose focusing rings. I like a little tension on the ring. Why I did not like my Nikon glass the focusing rings where just sloppy loose.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Interesting comparison

Batis 25mm F2

Physical
    Filter Thread Front:67 mm x 0.75 mm Pitch
    Dimensions (DxL) Approx. 3.19 x 3.07" (81 x 78 mm)
    Weight 11.82 oz (335 g)

Zeiss 25mm F2 ZE mount

Physical
    Filter Thread 67 mm
    Dimensions (DxL) Approx. 2.87 x 3.86" (7.3 x 9.8 cm)
    Weight 1.32 lb (600 g)

Same filter size a little wider but a little shorter and almost half the weight. Now if it is comparable IQ wise we are in for a serious treat.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    My only one concern is manual focus if it has the tension I like or feel. I hate those loose focusing rings. I like a little tension on the ring. Why I did not like my Nikon glass the focusing rings where just sloppy loose.
    I'm pretty sure it's a focus by wire lens so there won't be infinity stops but I guess it'll eventually grow on you... Or at least you'll get comfortable enough with it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Maybe not a fair comparison since the Otus is a 1.4 well its not but fun to see anyway

Otus 85mm 1.4

Physical
    Filter Thread Front:86 mm x 1.0 mm Pitch
    Dimensions (DxL) Approx. 3.98 x 4.88" (101 x 124 mm)
    Weight 2.65 lb (1.2 kg)

Batis 85mm F2

Physical
    Dimensions (DxL) Approx. 3.19 x 3.62" (81 x 92 mm)
    Weight 1.05 lb (475 g)

Pretty big difference all around including filter size.

Lets check Nikons 85mm 1.8 for fun

Physical
    Filter Thread Front:67 mm 3
    Please Note:

Snap-on / screw-on
    close
    Dimensions (DxL) Approx. 3.1 x 2.9" (7.87 x 7.37 cm)
    Weight 12.35 oz (350 g)

Post Thanks / Like

That definitely squashes any interest I had in the 16-35. I'd much rather spend money on a fast prime and the 25mm will compliment my CV 21/1.8 ultron very well.

Only 335g? Halleluyah and a decent 67mm thread which may just about work with my Lee Seven5 filters.

Will have an order in as soon as my favourite supplier in the UK puts it up.

Now, if they can only bring out the 'BAXIA' 18/4.5....
    -----
    My new book "Whitechapel in 50 BUildings", Flikr Stream, www.louisberk.com

Post Thanks / Like

With extreme wide, I think they can keep the size down. I would not object a Batis 15/2.8 or a Loxia 15/2.8. Heck, they can even go wild and do something like 18/4.5 T/S . In this market, we need a bit of breakthrough innovation. OLED distance scale is not enough (nice though if it is back-lit).
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by biglouis View Post
    That definitely squashes any interest I had in the 16-35. I'd much rather spend money on a fast prime and the 25mm will compliment my CV 21/1.8 ultron very well.

Only 335g? Halleluyah and a decent 67mm thread which may just about work with my Lee Seven5 filters.

Will have an order in as soon as my favourite supplier in the UK puts it up.

Now, if they can only bring out the 'BAXIA' 18/4.5....
    I honestly think as good as the zoom is that I have i will probably sell it for the 25mm if its really good. I would rather have primes for the next A7rII monster 50mpx beast. LOL Even 36mpx is fine

A 15 or 18 prime would be next on that wide list though

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by hiepphotog View Post
    With extreme wide, I think they can keep the size down. I would not object a Batis 15/2.8 or a Loxia 15/2.8. Heck, they can even go wild and do something like 18/4.5 T/S . In this market, we need a bit of breakthrough innovation. OLED distance scale is not enough (nice though if it is back-lit).
    Really they can go as wide as 2.8 or even F4 . We really don't need a screaming 1.4 or F2 as it will get very big here. I never in all my years needed something fast that wide. 24 yes and above but not under a 24mm

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by hiepphotog View Post
    Breakthrough innovation comes from choice materials and not the run of the mill glass. Panasonic have some innovative tech regarding aspherics that do not project onion rings, for example.

The OLED screen is lit (not backlit). It just glows. I agree it is a convenience but not earth shaking.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Really they can go as wide as 2.8 or even F4 . We really don't need a screaming 1.4 or F2 as it will get very big here. I never in all my years needed something fast that wide. 24 yes and above but not under a 24mm
    Whoa let's not put potential innovation and "technical witchcraft" in a box. If they can make a reasonably sized 18/2-2.8 then I'm all for it but in reality something like a fastish 15-21 is all I'd need on the UWA with the 25/2 catching medium wide duties.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Both of the Batis lenses are now available for pre-order (from B&H and Adorama). I hope they turn out to be Badass and not Bats**t.

Fast primes! Gotta love it!

Joe

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Love the idea hear, but those are some big suckers. Should pair well, I suspect, with the Sony Zeiss 35 f/1.4 and 55 mm f/1.8 to make a lovely, albeit large, fast lens autofocus prime kit. My only issue with these are size, with respect to the A7 body, which makes the front heavy bulk a bit jarring to my eyes. That being said, I too am one to hope that Zeiss releases Loxia options at 25 and 85 (f/2's) with a smaller profile, more in keeping with the body size factor (and for fans of smaller well built lenses)....
    Ashwin Rao
    Seattle, WA
    My Photography

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

The timing of the announcement, and the stress on "Pro" and "resolving" makes me suspect that the A7RII or even something else may be just around the corner...The size of the lenses makes me wonder whether larger bodies are in store...wouldn't be into that, though, but may make for more converts to FE. I also suspect that A lineup may not be long for the future.
    Ashwin Rao
    Seattle, WA
    My Photography

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Leica 90 f2 cron

Length 3.1"
    Maximum Diameter 2.5"
    Weight 1.10 lb

Batis 85mm F1.8

Physical
    Dimensions (DxL) Approx. 3.19 x 3.62" (81 x 92 mm)
    Weight 1.05 lb (475 g)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Little fatter but not much difference at all. Sony is a bigger body than a M240 is it not

Anyway I think the size is in proportion to the body.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Guy, it is a 1.8 lens not f2.
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks plus it does have AF built in which would increase size. 90 cron is 55mm filter thread. So yea a little faster and it does have AF which still is within a nice size at least for me that won't bug me is the size. Now the 35 1.4 I consider big *** for the A7 one reason I went for the Loxia 35 for now

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    Guy, it is a 1.8 lens not f2.
    Thanks I edited it correctly now

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Good call, guy. I was going off the images seen on the teaser. The diameter of the lens is bigger, but ultimately, it's how it feels in hand...I didn't realize the lens was so light...It's great to have options...and so many options. I personally want more Loxia options, but I could see a future with Batis mixed in there...birds galore

I also like the set up of the loxias, with the Aperture ring on the lens, MF ring, metal build)...52 mm filter...alll of that matters to me, but I must say that the AF/OS combo of the 85 is really tempting to me..., particularly for any prospective A7RII/A9 resolution monster...
    Ashwin Rao
    Seattle, WA
    My Photography

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It's one lens I would really like the AF as for me it's a model lens and having AF would be very useful.

My Loxia 50 shows up tomorrow and really looking forward to it. Love that Zeiss decided to build two lines of glass for this mount. That has been unheard of.

Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

One thing Zeiss should do (since we all know better than they do ;-)) is to farm out the names of lens ranges to a marketing specialist. 'Batis' and 'Loxia' sound more like medical conditions than appealing optical equipment.

I mean..Batis? How is your Batis going? Very well thank you, it's improving now.

The car industry figured this out a long time back. You have to evoke something special for guys to identify with so they part with the hard earned, hence 'Mustang', 'Forester', 'Ranger', 'Territory', 'Outback' etc. Otus - I can never get Otis Redding and Otis lifts out of my head. Loxia sounds like 'toxic'. Touit sounds like 'tweet' or 'twit'- very twee. Apparently they are all birds, generic names that no one ever heard of outside of Oberkochen or a museum. But even their binocs got 'Victory'.

Anyway, I see a big future for the 'Batises', horrible name notwithstanding.
    Their aim is true, they hit so many marks - AF, OIS (85), dimensions, glass types, finish, weight, appearance, T*, I presume IF, not to forget the big one - price/value.

Once the dust settles, a 335 gram 25/2 with AF will look very versatile, and the short telephoto looks like a special portrait lens and a great fit to FE, compared to legacy adapted M/R lenses or whatever, that cost more and weigh about the same. It's one FL zone AF can really help in with small modern cameras, and stabilization is a big bonus if engineered well. I'll have to get the 85mm, most likely. Will it fix LoCA, after what they learned with the Otus 85 and 135/2 APO lenses? Sure hope so..

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Should have just called them Zeiss FE- AF and Zeiss FE - MF

Of course that's just way to boring but logical. LOL

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by philip_pj View Post
    One thing Zeiss should do (since we all know better than they do ;-)) is to farm out the names of lens ranges to a marketing specialist. 'Batis' and 'Loxia' sound more like medical conditions than appealing optical equipment.

I mean..Batis? How is your Batis going? Very well thank you, it's improving now.

The car industry figured this out a long time back. You have to evoke something special for guys to identify with so they part with the hard earned, hence 'Mustang', 'Forester', 'Ranger', 'Territory', 'Outback' etc. Otus - I can never get Otis Redding and Otis lifts out of my head. Loxia sounds like 'toxic'. Touit sounds like 'tweet' or 'twit'- very twee. Apparently they are all birds, generic names that no one ever heard of outside of Oberkochen or a museum. But even their binocs got 'Victory'.

Anyway, I see a big future for the 'Batises', horrible name notwithstanding.
    Their aim is true, they hit so many marks - AF, OIS (85), dimensions, glass types, finish, weight, appearance, T*, I presume IF, not to forget the big one - price/value.

Once the dust settles, a 335 gram 25/2 with AF will look very versatile, and the short telephoto looks like a special portrait lens and a great fit to FE, compared to legacy adapted M/R lenses or whatever, that cost more and weigh about the same. It's one FL zone AF can really help in with small modern cameras, and stabilization is a big bonus if engineered well. I'll have to get the 85mm, most likely. Will it fix LoCA, after what they learned with the Otus 85 and 135/2 APO lenses? Sure hope so..
    Yes... Except no one can probably tell me what a Camry or Corolla is either and yet they have sold pretty well because they just work as intended in general. I think some are too caught up in a name maybe... They're from their Latin names sort of how Blackmagic uses "Ursa" (Latin for bear... ehhh just blame the 4 years of Latin I took as a child) for one of their 4K video cameras.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

In other new Zeiss mentioned on their Facebook page that they'd release MTF charts and possibly sample images as well in June.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,

These lenses may have been what I was waiting for before jumping on the Sony FE-mount.

What I really wanted was an 85/2 lens, and this new Zeiss fills the bill. I want excellent performance at full aperture with no axial chroma, that is no magenta/green out of focus areas.

Of course, we don't know how the lens will fill the bill until we have seen some decent test results. But, the lens seems to be a complex design with 11 elements in 8 groups. I presume Zeiss doesn't put elements into lens design for fun, so I would assume it is well corrected.

What I see forthcoming for my bag is:

The 85/1.8, A Mirex T&S adapter, a Metabones adapter for Canon and a Canon 24mm T&S lens. And of course a Sony adapter for my A-mounts.

What I am still waiting for is an A9, but next version of the A7r may fill the bill.

Best regards
    Erik

Coming in June (25/2) and July (85/1.8) so I may just cancel my 28/2 order... or sell it then depending on price of these. 25, 55, and 85 seems like a nice spread though. I'd just need a fastish 15-21 for UWA. I don't know how much a OLED focus scale is "needed" or wanted but the lenses are shaped like a small Otus so I'd expect that sort of performance in the vein of the 55FE. The 25/2 ($1299) is labeled a Distagon and the 85/1.8 ($1199) is labeled a Sonnar so they SHOULD have great performance (although I'm not wild about the 35/2.8 personally.)

Official! Zeiss announces a new BATIS lens line for Sony FE: 25mm f/2.0 and 85mm f/1.8 to ship in summer! | sonyalpharumors

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't know that the lens will be free from any optical aberrations for $1200 but if not then there's the 85 Otus...

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I don't know that the lens will be free from any optical aberrations for $1200 but if not then there's the 85 Otus...
    Few wonder why Zeiss, despite being Sony's partners, are making those "perfect" lenses in only Canon and Nikon mounts.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd assume because creating expensive lense is a niche market... Making them manual focus only condenses that niche further. With that said they try to maximize on niche by offering to the larger user bases.

Could be a deeper conspiracy of concern to some about which Zeiss lenses are "real" or not (read: German built.) I can assure you that I don't care enough to investigate it all.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well that is starting to sound like a sermon and tiring.

Of course, it makes perfect sense to offer manual focus lenses for DSLRs as opposed to live view cams which are presumably not good enough for them.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Lol. It was a mostly a joke Vivek... But can you imagine how pissy people would be about mounting an Otus if they are adverse to the 35 Distagon? It would be to the calamity and failure of Sony to provide adequate lenses (each particular user wants) on a system less than 2 years old.

I don't presume anything though but I agree that live view is an improved focusing system over OVF.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Sorry about that characterization, Tre. I don't think you deserve to be clubbed with some of the moneymakers using that sermon tool.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

No worries. I'm not really the sensitive type. I just use and buy what I like. Pretty happy about the Batis lenses... I hope they leave some Zeiss character in them though they'd stay in the bag if they're at least 55FE image quality.

Post Thanks / Like

Those two lenses have been made for the upcoming Sony pro body. Zeiss have more inside infos with Sony than with other brands and team together for the future.

Sigma and other third party lenses have been somehow on a roll lately and here is the powerful answer from Zeiss at a correct price. Expect from those lenses performances close to otus (not otus level but vastly similar). The oled element is excellent especially for night shoots ... damn simple yet clever. Stabilisation is the indication for the next Sony body
    Weather sealed...

It start to be interesting. If the AF of the next Sony is good I might jump.

The conventional manual focus lenses from Zeiss might go lower in sales. The touit line might be stopped, not very good lenses (having owned both). But the touit line gave the design for future Zeiss lenses as you can see with the Batis.

Serious stuff imho, can't wait news

EDIT: f1.8 or f2 is not a problem, seriously. I very like f2 aperture.
    Kind regards - Hulyss - hulyssbowman.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

On the Batis 25mm f2 I'm really hoping it has Zeiss 25mm f2 ZE or ZF image quality. That lens is absolutely one of the best Zeiss lens wide angles around, better than the 21 distagon if you ask me. No moustache distortion just some simple barrel and very little lens curvature. If it is we are in for a treat. The 85 I'm thinking it will be a 55mm clone and again if so another Otus type quality. I'm most likely going to get both but if I do the 16-35 goes and need to find a nice 16 or 18 prime. I know Tre is thinking along the same lines here. So I. Hoping the next Loxia lens is a 18mm even a great 3.5 would do it for me. My kit keeps getting smaller and lighter. These 2 Loxia lenses I just got dropped a ton of weight and bulk out of my bag. Seriously I'm feeling like I got a Leica M kit. Love to get back to those sizes a Domke F803 bag and I could carry the whole kit in it.

Also given this announcement I'll pass on the new 28 f2 and 90 macro but here is the good news they are just a rental away for a road trip let's say or workshop. In the last year or more I have been doing a lot more rentals from lensrentals and honestly it's nice not have to buy the 2nd tier useful lenses that one needs once in awhile. Nice to just rent them. Something folks should think about sometimes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

One thing we have not talked about is the Batis lenses in there video showed weather sealing and that certainly is a huge plus for landscape type shooting. As I get older this size weight issue gets more important for me on workshops and hiking trips. I'm done with breaking my back after 40 years my back is gone from years of hauling stuff around the globe.

The big item for me is the A7r replacement and all I really need is that 36mpx sensor in the A7II body and feature set. Anything more is a bonus. So that announcement and release for me is huge. This Batis lens announcement just made the system complete, fix the body and I can take a nice long break from buying.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

On the Batis 25mm f2 I'm really hoping it has Zeiss 25mm f2 ZE or ZF image quality. That lens is absolutely one of the best Zeiss lens wide angles around, better than the 21 distagon if you ask me. No moustache distortion just some simple barrel and very little lens curvature. If it is we are in for a treat. The 85 I'm thinking it will be a 55mm clone and again if so another Otus type quality. I'm most likely going to get both but if I do the 16-35 goes and need to find a nice 16 or 18 prime. I know Tre is thinking along the same lines here. So I. Hoping the next Loxia lens is a 18mm even a great 3.5 would do it for me. My kit keeps getting smaller and lighter. These 2 Loxia lenses I just got dropped a ton of weight and bulk out of my bag. Seriously I'm feeling like I got a Leica M kit. Love to get back to those sizes a Domke F803 bag and I could carry the whole kit in it.

Also given this announcement I'll pass on the new 28 f2 and 90 macro but here is the good news they are just a rental away for a road trip let's say or workshop. In the last year or more I have been doing a lot more rentals from lensrentals and honestly it's nice not have to buy the 2nd tier useful lenses that one needs once in awhile. Nice to just rent them. Something folks should think about sometimes.

I disagree with you terming the 28/2 as a 2nd tier lens. The fact that it does not carry a bogus blue label itself shows some honesty in my opinion and it is a stellar lens for the A7 series in every aspect.

Besides that it makes no sense to rent it based on its fair price.

The humongous Otii, OTOH, are understandably the darlings of the rental outfits. Being expensive, not being able to find regular use due to manual focus, size, weight and such factors.

I sincerely hope there is a set of Sony primes like the 28/2, including a 50/2.