Site Sponsors
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Zeiss Batis 25/2 and 85/1.8 Coming

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Zeiss Batis 25/2 and 85/1.8 Coming

Quote Originally Posted by Annna T View Post
    Well may be that we have a different appreciation of the MFT situation since I started with the E-P1, one year after the G1 and since Panasonic lenses were perfectly compatible with the stabilized Olympus bodies. I got the Panasonic 7-14mm and the 20mm almost at the same time as the E-P1 in July 2009; the 12mm and 45mm were available just a few months later. It was a long wait until the E-M5 came out and we got a better sensor however. Nowadays given all the partners of MFT, there are more than 40/50 lenses available. The only thing missing in MFT is a shift lens for architecture.

Anyway, contrary to the FE mount, MFT is now a mature system. But that wasn't the point. The point is that their start was more coherent and there were road maps as to what we could expect. At least it made more sense for someone who was used to take pictures since the film days. But we are going too far OT now, apologies to the others.
    Ahhhh that makes sense then. In either case though I think I've been able to work around my "issues" with the lack of native lenses and the future is looking up for me.
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

None needed Annna. Basically I do agree with you this FE mount is all over the map. I think I know why that is , the A7 was a test bed camera to see if the market would bite. What happens is companies like Sony, Zeiss, Sigma and others do is see how much market there really is before committing all there R&D to it. I understand that and I know full well we are beta testers. The good news is the market bought into it and now we are starting to see everyone jumping in but they are all going after the most popular focal lengths. We now have 3 35's and no 85 for what maybe 2 years by the time it comes out.

So it's a little bit of grabbing as much market share and or most popular lens sales for each without looking at the other guys offerings. Now I give Zeiss credit here for the Batis because let's face it people like us that will buy a prime 25 are not the major market, we all know the zooms are. So now we are past the zoom trio things will change and this is a good sign. But yes I agree the road map went off course. That will self correct

Now I can sit here and say this since I did it as well. We just bought in to early as now is the time to buy into the Sony FE. Yes we where the guinea pigs but I have zero regrets about it. I bought in for specific feature sets and better files. We all have our reasons and we now all belong to the same group of beta testers. But without us this would have went nowhere so we took one for the team as they say. I'm perfectly fine with that. I like these challenges
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I wish there is program from Zeiss and others to try out anything new instead of relying on hearsays (particularly from Zeiss fanatics). Their use of the MTF (brilliant idea) is quite out of fashion nowadays.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I would love to get my hands on these for testing.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Just like with Leica, it appears that if you have the right contacts at Zeiss anything is possible. That is the prevailing culture with these.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Looks like the Batis 85/1.8FE is turning out to be the lens we all thought it would be from the get go... The 85 "Otus-Lite."

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/impre...m-performance/

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked for this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BJNY View Post
    Thanks indeed. Very tempting, both lenses!
    With best regards, K-H.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm excited about them.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The OLED with DoF scales is a nice feature.

Post Thanks / Like

85-90mm is my most used focal length, so I'm glad to see the Batis lens. I may even buy one. But I have reservations, too. I think it'll be perfect for portraiture, or for anybody who shoots wide open. But I use this focal length mostly for urban landscape, and the Batis' pincushion distortion looks pretty bad.

As Lloyd Chambers says, it seems like that's a trade-off Zeiss intentionally made to keep the lens small and sharp in the corners while building in auto-focus and stabilization. Similar to what Sony seems to have done with the 28/2. But 85mm lenses don't normally have a big issue with distortion.

Correction in post-processing? Hmm, okay, up to a point. Wave of the future and all that. But distortion correction will have some impact on both sharpness and precise cropping. It's hard to know how much impact. For me, it's one thing to depend on a major post-processing solution when using a journeyman $450 wide angle lens like the 28mm. Another whole thing with an $1100 Zeiss 85mm.

Meanwhile, the Sony 90mm G macro is about to come out. It's larger, heavier, and slower. But it's starting to get good reviews. It looks to be very sharp, even stopped down to f11. (Which is common for me.) Very flat field, minimal distortion. All good things for cityscapes.

I really would prefer to go lighter and smaller. Unfortunately, I'm kinda thinking that the 90 macro might be the better lens for my application.

I guess I have to wait for test reports, and for the opportunity to handle the lenses myself.

--d

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by davidstock View Post
    But I use this focal length mostly for urban landscape, and the Batis' pincushion distortion looks pretty bad.
    David, have you considered Sony 85/2.8 SAM (Sonnar)? You might be surprised by its performance at infinity compared to other Planar 85mm lenses. And, like most other 85mm, it is distortion free.
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Malina. I considered it some time ago, but I got discouraged thinking about buying into the LA-EA4 adapter just for that lens. (Which makes it larger, clunkier and heavier anyhow.) Also, I was discouraged about the build quality. I have read that some of the SAM lenses are sharp, though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by davidstock View Post
    Also, I was discouraged about the build quality. I have read that some of the SAM lenses are sharp, though.
    My 85/2.8 SAM served me well for two years before I sold it. Had no issues with build quality, though the lens does look like it will fall apart after the first month of shooting with it.
    I'd pick Canon 90/2.8 TS-E if architecture was my primary focus for this focal range.
    Back on topic. Good to finally have a native stabilized AF 85/1.8 lens in FE family. Though I remain indifferent to Batis since 85/1.4 ZA does everything I require from 85mm for portrait shots, with each one of them - distortion free.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

BTW, more Batis 25/2 images have been added to Zeiss gallery: https://www.flickr.com/photos/carlze...h/17360050739/

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah... Hard to argue with those results in rendering and sharpness...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Agree looking better every time I see new images

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Mmmm, the sample pics of the 25mm look great to my eyes. Especially those taken in Lucerne where you see the lakeshore : the details in the buildings are incredible. If I was good at selling, I would trade the 16-35mm against it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I probably will wind up doing that for the 25mm

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Agree and I'm glad I didn't let my compulsive nature of settling for good enough get the better of me in this case with the 16-35. I may still add it if a satisfactory fast ultrawide prime isn't released but ultimately speed and a somewhat consistent look win out over convenience most of the time with me.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

What? The Zony 16-35 is now relegated to good enough?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Well I never bought it. It's good but too slow for anything other than an outdoor lens for me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    What? The Zony 16-35 is now relegated to good enough?
    It's excellent from 16-24 after that it's just okay. Problem is not much can touch it at 16mm except a Zeiss 15

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I would be sacrificing that extreme wide if I went with the 25 and I might just do it anyway

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by HiredArm View Post
    Well I never bought it. It's good but too slow for anything other than an outdoor lens for me.
    Me neither. I bought the 24-70 and returned it after 10 shots. Since we discussed diffraction limits. Already (A7r) the f4 zooms are knocking at diffraction and they aren't built to be used wide open. A big compromise to say the least.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I owned the 24-70 as well and got rid of it. It was way too limiting for what I do. Great for a daytime walk around lens.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Bought 2 rented it 5 times. Gave up

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Bought a Sigma 24-70 2.8 A mount to replace it. Much better

Post Thanks / Like

The Batis 85 is very interesting to me. With that purchase, I could sell my A-mount Sigma 85/1.4, which is already a beast without the LAEA4. Bummed to hear about distortion, but I wonder how often it will really appear in my images.

I'm more torn on the wide side. The 28 is attractive due to the speed and the converters, which might be fun/useful for not a lot extra. I realize I might give away a bit in ultimate quality, however. The 25 is attractive because that's what I have in my M-mount and R-mounts already and I'm used to that FL. Plus, it's the Batis design, which I find compelling for some reason.

The great thing about these cameras is that aside from all this mulling over possibilities, I can just mount all the manual-focus and AF A-mount lenses I have now and get excellent results and have fun doing it. Really the best of all worlds, I think.

Nutty side-effect is I'm ending up with even more versions of the same focal lengths of different brands, since they're all shootable on this camera. I think I have six 50's I can mount on this camera now. Geez. There needs to be a refactoring someday...right.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I should start a rental company. Everyone send me the extras and we rent them out make a few bucks and buy more gear. I can feel the GAS now. Lol

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mathomas View Post
    The great thing about these cameras is that aside from all this mulling over possibilities, I can just mount all the manual-focus and AF A-mount lenses I have now and get excellent results and have fun doing it. Really the best of all worlds, I think.

Nutty side-effect is I'm ending up with even more versions of the same focal lengths of different brands, since they're all shootable on this camera. I think I have six 50's I can mount on this camera now. Geez. There needs to be a refactoring someday...right.
    I'm right there with you. Between 45mm and 55mm I have nine lenses, all of which I can use on my A7x's, and each of which has its own visual characteristics. Yet I am currently salivating over the Loxia 50, as well as both Batii. I think my X was right… there is no hope.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Malina DZ View Post
    BTW, more Batis 25/2 images have been added to Zeiss gallery: https://www.flickr.com/photos/carlze...h/17360050739/
    Damn! I want that lens now!

LouisB
    -----
    My new book "Whitechapel in 50 BUildings", Flikr Stream, www.louisberk.com

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by biglouis View Post
    I gave in last week and ordered the 25mm.

Post Thanks / Like

LouisB
    Me too. Along w the new A7RII.
    I broke down and ordered one.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It's such a pleasure to be in company like yours, Mike and Louis and Ute - true GAS addicts.
    Bill
    Bill CB

www.billcaulfeild-browne.ca

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Caulfeild-Browne View Post
    true GAS addicts.
    I resemble that remark!
    Last edited by MikeEvangelist; 25th May 2015 at 06:12.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I am that remark. I'm buying both of them as soon as I finish knitting my special ski mask. LOL

Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

So the Batis 25 looks to be better than the ZE/ZF 25/2 according to Lloyd. I'm waiting for you GAS addict folks to put up some real life review before I jump for one .

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

You often get what you pay for here.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by algrove View Post
    You often get what you pay for here.
    May be not.

Did Tamron design the Zeiss Batis 85mm lens? | sonyalpharumors

This Ziess/Zony scam appears to be a big one.

Post Thanks / Like

What scam?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by pegelli View Post
    What scam?
    Apparently a good/great lens can become part of a scam if it is manufactured by a wrong (tm) subcontractor or co-developed with a wrong (tm) party. Things like sharpness, bokeh, color rendering, reliability, weather-sealing, features/usability, QA etc. are irrelevant in this context.

Again, personally I do not care if these lenses are put together in Kardashian's basement or designed by chimpanzee with a reading disorder if they perform optically, are reliable/robust, QA is consistent and service/support works.
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by tn1krr View Post
    Apparently a good/great lens can become part of a scam if it is manufactured by a wrong (tm) subcontractor or co-developed with a wrong (tm) party. Things like sharpness, bokeh, color rendering, reliability, weather-sealing, features/usability, QA etc. are irrelevant in this context.

Again, personally I do not care if these lenses are put together in Kardashian's basement or designed by chimpanzee with a reading disorder if they perform optically, are reliable/robust, QA is consistent and service/support works.
    Your benchmarks on how things are designed and fabricated are very spacious!

The ZM 25 Biogon is one of my favourite lenses and if it performs as good or better i am lost on this one.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure I am a GAS addict as such. I've just sold all my remaining Leica lenses except for the CV 21/1.8

The 16-35 just does not appeal - I do not want another slow, beer can sized lens. The 21/1.8 is an amazing lens but a dog to meter with as it is a lump of glass with no relationship with the camera.

That is why I want a 25/2. I have come to realise that native FE glass is just superior when it comes to metering and focussing.

Just my two cents.

LouisB

PS I may still keep the 21/1.8 anyway... depends on how good the 25/2 is.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

biglouis

So are you getting out of Leica like so many I know?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by algrove View Post
    biglouis

So are you getting out of Leica like so many I know?
    Yes, I may be on my own here but I see no difference between using my Zeiss Loxia 2/35 and the Summicron 35/2 I sold. In fact, I prefer the more modern ergonomics, and I mean the shape and feel of the lens controls over the Leica ones.

Likewise, my 50/2.8 could not really compete with the 55/1.8 and my 90/2.8 I sold because I anticipate that either the Batis 85 or the forthcoming 90/2.8 will be equal to if not better.

I am sure others have different opinions and will disagree but I feel the more the Sony system has matured the safer it is to invest in.

I always forecast that Sony would end up owning the camera space: they are the Microsoft of consumer electronics and frankly it seems my prophecy is coming true.

Just my two cents.

LouisB
    -----
    My new book "Whitechapel in 50 BUildings", Flikr Stream, www.louisberk.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I may be on my own here but I see no difference between using my Zeiss Loxia 2/35 and the Summicron 35/2 I sold. In fact, I prefer the more modern ergonomics, and I mean the shape and feel of the lens controls over the Leica ones.

Likewise, my 50/2.8 could not really compete with the 55/1.8 and my 90/2.8 I sold because I anticipate that either the Batis 85 or the forthcoming 90/2.8 will be equal to if not better.

I am sure others have different opinions and will disagree but I feel the more the Sony system has matured the safer it is to invest in.

I always forecast that Sony would end up owning the camera space: they are the Microsoft of consumer electronics and frankly it seems my prophecy is coming true.

Just my two cents.

LouisB
    You're not alone and I've dumped most of my M lenses and my M bodies last year except a few in case Leica ever makes a body too good for me to pass up. If Sony makes a Monochrome body though I'd dump those last few lenses and put just about anything Leica out of my mind. I agree that while not as extensive in lens choice yet there are some excellent one in the FE lineup combined with adequate ones that get the job done even if they aren't for my personal kit.

Post Thanks / Like

Quite.

The Cosina Zeiss lenses (ZM) perform superbly for their price point and, early wobbles aside, show that collaborative approaches make otherwise impossible product lines possible.

I also suspect Sony has been listening on this one and the awful QC with the 35mm Sonnar is something that might be less of an issue with new lenses.

Sub-sub (and beyond) contracting is commonplace in industry. I see no reason why its not acceptable in optics, as long as the label brand enforces brand appropriate quality. This is where things slipped with the Zeiss Sony Tamron or whatever it is 35mm Sonnar (and to a lesser extent the 55mm too).

Quote Originally Posted by tn1krr View Post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Just my two cents.

LouisB
    Any predictions (even if based on personal needs) is always contentious on a forum. So, I shall be quiet regarding that.

RE: Leica. It is not Sony or anyone else who have done any damage to their sales!