Site Sponsors
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Results 201 to 250 of 279

Thread: Zeiss Batis 25/2 and 85/1.8 Coming

  1. #201
    Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    23,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2555

    Re: Zeiss Batis 25/2 and 85/1.8 Coming

    I lost the Leica itch a long time ago. Paying triple for maybe 1-5 percent performance increase was not worth the costs. I'll hobble along as a guy that came from the best tech lenses on the planet that 5 percent just does not always add up when it comes to a 8 thousand dollar lens.. I'll pay a extra 1 thousand dollars for that 5 percent but no more. I worn out that T shirt. LOL
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

    www.guymancusophotography.com
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

  2. #202
    Senior Member biglouis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    2,124
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Zeiss Batis 25/2 and 85/1.8 Coming

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    I lost the Leica itch a long time ago. Paying triple for maybe 1-5 percent performance increase was not worth the costs. I'll hobble along as a guy that came from the best tech lenses on the planet that 5 percent just does not always add up when it comes to a 8 thousand dollar lens.. I'll pay a extra 1 thousand dollars for that 5 percent but no more. I worn out that T shirt. LOL
    Guy, it wasn't so much the 'Leica itch' in my case as the fact that the early line-up for the A7 series was pretty disappointing.

    I was very disappointed by the 35/2.8 so ditched that for a non-asph Summicron 2/35 which was marvellous in comparison. But I am afraid that as soon as I mounted the Loxia 2/35 and had the auto magnify (which I know you don't particularly like but I do) and the EXIF info, I am afraid I was sold.

    LouisB
    -----
    My new book "Whitechapel in 50 BUildings", Flikr Stream, www.louisberk.com
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  3. #203
    Senior Member Show Performance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    851
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    5

    Re: Zeiss Batis 25/2 and 85/1.8 Coming

    I know Guy has already seen this, but for the rest of you that haven't - I stumbled into both Batis at a dealer day expo at Precision Camera the other day. Very brief time with the lenses so don't expect any inspiring snaps but here is a write-up...

    Zeiss Batis 25mm and 85mm hands-on, plus FE 28mm f/2 comparison | Chad Wadsworth | Photographer

    If you don't care to read through, the short story is I am buying both! I was confident that the 85mm would be great but wasn't as interested in the 25mm given my satisfaction with the budget FE 28/2. I was wrong on the 25mm and took an immediate shine to it. Might end up being my most used lens.
    Thanks 4 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

  4. #204
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Vivek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    13,601
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    21

    Re: Zeiss Batis 25/2 and 85/1.8 Coming

    Chad, Don't chew my head off.

    With the CA that is on par with the 28/2 coming out of both the Batis why would would you say "a must buy for E mounters"? I like the portrait (thought it was mannequin), closer look reveals CA on the eyeglass frame. Even I have seen far better portrait lens results from many other system lenses.

  5. #205
    Senior Member The Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    955
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Zeiss Batis 25/2 and 85/1.8 Coming

    Quote Originally Posted by Show Performance View Post
    I know Guy has already seen this, but for the rest of you that haven't - I stumbled into both Batis at a dealer day expo at Precision Camera the other day. Very brief time with the lenses so don't expect any inspiring snaps but here is a write-up...

    Zeiss Batis 25mm and 85mm hands-on, plus FE 28mm f/2 comparison | Chad Wadsworth | Photographer

    If you don't care to read through, the short story is I am buying both! I was confident that the 85mm would be great but wasn't as interested in the 25mm given my satisfaction with the budget FE 28/2. I was wrong on the 25mm and took an immediate shine to it. Might end up being my most used lens.
    Thanks so much for sharing that. Much appreciated.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  6. #206
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    528
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Zeiss Batis 25/2 and 85/1.8 Coming

    Quote Originally Posted by Show Performance View Post
    I know Guy has already seen this, but for the rest of you that haven't - I stumbled into both Batis at a dealer day expo at Precision Camera the other day. Very brief time with the lenses so don't expect any inspiring snaps but here is a write-up...

    Zeiss Batis 25mm and 85mm hands-on, plus FE 28mm f/2 comparison | Chad Wadsworth | Photographer

    If you don't care to read through, the short story is I am buying both! I was confident that the 85mm would be great but wasn't as interested in the 25mm given my satisfaction with the budget FE 28/2. I was wrong on the 25mm and took an immediate shine to it. Might end up being my most used lens.
    Chad:
    Thanks so much for the info. I don't know whether to thank you or damn you! Now I have to get these two lenses. Between Sony and Zeiss I'm gonna go broke.

    Thanks again.
    Regards,
    John
    Sony fanboy, shamelessly shilling for "the man" since 2010.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  7. #207
    Senior Member Show Performance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    851
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    5

    Re: Zeiss Batis 25/2 and 85/1.8 Coming

    Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    Chad, Don't chew my head off.

    With the CA that is on par with the 28/2 coming out of both the Batis why would would you say "a must buy for E mounters"? I like the portrait (thought it was mannequin), closer look reveals CA on the eyeglass frame. Even I have seen far better portrait lens results from many other system lenses.

    I'm not prepared to say that the Batis 25mm has CA issues on par with the 28mm - I've seen some particularly nasty CA from the 28mm but have no idea if the Batis would do the same in identical conditions - fair enough? Overall, the files feel more refined, and I prefer the rendering and extra 3 degrees in the FOV. My must buy statement did not refer to the 25mm - the 28mm (which I believe I vigorously supported) is too great a value and excellent performer in its own right. However, if you prefer something wider with optical distortion control and equally good sharpness and Bokeh, then for you the Batis may be a must buy.

    So on the portrait shot you are ready to claim that you have seen far better results from many other system lenses? Based on one shot? In less than ideal lighting conditions - actually a bit of a CA torture test.

    How is it exactly that you know that these other lenses would have performed better in this same shot? I never claimed that the Batis is the greatest 85mm ever produced, but I stand by the comment that it is a must buy for the alpha platform. You get top build quality, Image Stabilization, native AF and to my taste, excellent performance at a price point many are willing to purchase at.

  8. #208
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Vivek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    13,601
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    21

    Re: Zeiss Batis 25/2 and 85/1.8 Coming

    Pixel peeping shows an impressive amount of sharpness and detail at f/1.8 make sure you click on the image and zoom in to see every pore in detail.
    From that link. That is why I peeped in and the CA is noticeable. If you say that it isn't it must be good then. I don't claim anything.

  9. #209
    Senior Member Show Performance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    851
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    5

    Re: Zeiss Batis 25/2 and 85/1.8 Coming

    Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    From that link. That is why I peeped in and the CA is noticeable. If you say that it isn't it must be good then. I don't claim anything.
    Sorry, I don't believe I ever said that the CA wasn't noticeable. It just doesn't bother me and I expected it to be there in these conditions. Pretty sure my ZA 85mm would have done the same.

    On the contrary you did claim that other system lenses were much better.

  10. #210
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Vivek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    13,601
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    21

    Re: Zeiss Batis 25/2 and 85/1.8 Coming

    I am sure many other samples will available soon to determine one way or the other.

  11. #211
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Vivek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    13,601
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    21

    Re: Zeiss Batis 25/2 and 85/1.8 Coming

    My travel schedule does not fit in well with the release dates of the Batii. I need at least a week or so with a new lens to determine if it would be suitable for an application. So, I have plenty of time to decide in a few months time.

  12. #212
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    523
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Zeiss Batis 25/2 and 85/1.8 Coming

    Sadly, firm conclusions are often reached far too early on the web and so I am going to sit and watch from the sidelines. The 28mm f2 has my interest but the 25mm Batis is the lens I have waited for, so fingers crossed (and waiting for the 15 or 18mm). I'm sure some will firmly conclude it is a 'rip off' while others say 'CA ruins it' and lack of perfect corners at 2KM at f2 will leave some noses pointing skywards....

    PS. My 24mm Elmar is phenomenal in the corners at all landscape distances, including far closer than 10m. I guess even Leica has some lenses at the left side of the standard distribution

  13. #213
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Vivek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    13,601
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    21

    Re: Zeiss Batis 25/2 and 85/1.8 Coming

    Quote Originally Posted by turtle View Post

    PS. My 24mm Elmar is phenomenal in the corners at all landscape distances, including far closer than 10m. I guess even Leica has some lenses at the left side of the standard distribution
    Sure they do.

  14. #214
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    77
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Zeiss Batis 25/2 and 85/1.8 Coming

    Chad, thanks for the hands on review and the samples.

    I most probably will end up with those lenses as af lenses, but the lenses show how the Zeiss (or Tamron design with 85mm) philosophy changed by time/digital age eg sharper lenses with more digital corrections eg CA/distortion corrections (85mm). I guess they have to compromise somewhere, otherwise we will have Otus sizes... I have the older Contarex CZ lenses from 50's & 60's. As Erwin puts it:

    Contarex lenses | LEICAgraphy

    The graphs do show one major characteristic. Zeiss designers gave the most attention to flatness of field and the reduction of astigmatism. This can be seen most clearly in the MTF for the Planar 50mm lens. The graphs are almost straight lines and the difference between sagittal and tangential lines is marginal. Note too than stopping down does improve the definition of fine detail, but not the overall contrast, which stays at the same level frm f/2 to f/5.6. Here we see quite clearly that the choice for high overall contrast (the Leica option) does imply a reduction in the correction for flatness of field and astigmatism.
    The special smoothness and depth of the Contarex lenses can be explained by these curves. The characteristics of the Contarex lenses are reminiscent of the Hasselblad lenses. Stopped down a bit they exhibit a remarkable finesse of gradation and depth. They may not be the sharpest lenses ever, but the rendition of shape outlines and surface details is most pleasing and subtle like a poem.
    Last edited by serhan; 1st June 2015 at 05:06.
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  15. #215
    Senior Member Show Performance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    851
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    5

    Re: Zeiss Batis 25/2 and 85/1.8 Coming

    Quote Originally Posted by turtle View Post
    Sadly, firm conclusions are often reached far too early on the web and so I am going to sit and watch from the sidelines. The 28mm f2 has my interest but the 25mm Batis is the lens I have waited for, so fingers crossed (and waiting for the 15 or 18mm). I'm sure some will firmly conclude it is a 'rip off' while others say 'CA ruins it' and lack of perfect corners at 2KM at f2 will leave some noses pointing skywards....

    PS. My 24mm Elmar is phenomenal in the corners at all landscape distances, including far closer than 10m. I guess even Leica has some lenses at the left side of the standard distribution
    Yes, you nailed it on both accounts - we are quick to judge and all lenses require compromise.

    I edited my hands-on to be even more clear about the early nature of my experience with the lenses. Still, I have seen enough lenses in my experience to know what I will be satisfied (or even thrilled) by and think that these both fall into that category.

  16. #216
    Senior Member Show Performance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    851
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    5

    Re: Zeiss Batis 25/2 and 85/1.8 Coming

    Unfortunately, I was unable to determine how well the 85mm will AF in low light - kind of important for my line of photography.

  17. #217
    Senior Member Show Performance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    851
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    5

    Re: Zeiss Batis 25/2 and 85/1.8 Coming

    After reading comments regarding the CA on the Batis 85mm I became curious about whether I was having selective memory regarding the performance of the legendary ZA 85/1.4

    So I dug into the archive and confirmed that I was glossing over the past and that the ZA did indeed exhibit some nasty CA, even stopped down to f/2.2 - you would think for a fast optic it would be resolved by then. Here are the samples:

    https://farm1.staticflickr.com/338/1...02bb6867_o.jpg

    https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7743/...239dfca5_o.jpg

    https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7730/...270697b2_o.jpg


    makes me wonder how the ZA would have performed in the portrait shot I took with the Batis. Hmmmm

  18. #218
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    2,057
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Zeiss Batis 25/2 and 85/1.8 Coming

    Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    RE: Leica. It is not Sony or anyone else who have done any damage to their sales!
    You mean they continue to shoot themselves in the foot all too often? On LUF some guy mentioned that the two cutting edge innovators are Sony and Leica.

    So I aksed him other than the T what is cutting edge in Leicas product listings.

    This year could be very important for both campanies, especially Sony if they offer the right gear for pro/semi pro use and for Leics if they don't start offering innovative cameras that can take M lenses and I don't mean Monochroms.

  19. #219
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Vivek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    13,601
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    21

    Re: Zeiss Batis 25/2 and 85/1.8 Coming

    Quote Originally Posted by Show Performance View Post
    After reading comments regarding the CA on the Batis 85mm I became curious about whether I was having selective memory regarding the performance of the legendary ZA 85/1.4

    So I dug into the archive and confirmed that I was glossing over the past and that the ZA did indeed exhibit some nasty CA, even stopped down to f/2.2 - you would think for a fast optic it would be resolved by then. Here are the samples:

    https://farm1.staticflickr.com/338/1...02bb6867_o.jpg

    https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7743/...239dfca5_o.jpg

    https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7730/...270697b2_o.jpg


    makes me wonder how the ZA would have performed in the portrait shot I took with the Batis. Hmmmm
    Thanks.

    Not you but a thought was floated around earlier that the MTF of Batus was almost that of the OTus Apo Sonnar 85/.14. That is the reason why CA became an issue to look for.

  20. #220
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    77
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Zeiss Batis 25/2 and 85/1.8 Coming

    I tried the Sony 135mm 1.8 and Minolta 100mm f2 lately and they were not the best for low light af. I was surprised that $90 beercan was focusing better with slower aperture. But then the shutter speeds were too low for motion capture though A7 II IBIS was excellent for the low shutter speeds.

    Quote Originally Posted by Show Performance View Post
    Unfortunately, I was unable to determine how well the 85mm will AF in low light - kind of important for my line of photography.
    All these legendary lenses go back to Contarex/Contax designs including the 85mm 1.4 planar:
    ZEISS PLANAR CONTAREX 85mm f / 1.4: HISTORY OF A LEGEND
    COMPARISON BETWEEN GENERATIONS: THE MTF OF OBJECTIVES CONTAREX VS CONTAX LEICA

    The newer Otus & ZE/ZF 135mm are better corrected for CA. Again I am not looking for those due to size/price, etc. In case of the Sonnar, they had the good formula in 1958, but I guess it wasn't sharp enough for the digital age.

    Quote Originally Posted by Show Performance View Post
    After reading comments regarding the CA on the Batis 85mm I became curious about whether I was having selective memory regarding the performance of the legendary ZA 85/1.4

    So I dug into the archive and confirmed that I was glossing over the past and that the ZA did indeed exhibit some nasty CA, even stopped down to f/2.2 - you would think for a fast optic it would be resolved by then. Here are the samples:

    https://farm1.staticflickr.com/338/1...02bb6867_o.jpg

    https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7743/...239dfca5_o.jpg

    https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7730/...270697b2_o.jpg


    makes me wonder how the ZA would have performed in the portrait shot I took with the Batis. Hmmmm

  21. #221
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Vivek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    13,601
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    21

    Re: Zeiss Batis 25/2 and 85/1.8 Coming

    Quote Originally Posted by algrove View Post
    So I aksed him other than the T what is cutting edge in Leicas product listings.
    Even if Leica posts a 2 hour video of metal polishing, I would not consider the T as a "cutting edge" product.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  22. #222
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    2,057
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Zeiss Batis 25/2 and 85/1.8 Coming

    Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    Even if Leica posts a 2 hour video of metal polishing, I would not consider the T as a "cutting edge" product.
    Me either, but I decided to give the guy something so I picked the T due to its interface/LCD. The polishing I could care about since when I get cameras I get them black.

    Just been over the LUF again and this guy keeps it up. Now THE cutting edge camera is a mirrorless camera with an EVF--the M. I reminded him that the M has a lump on top called an EVF, but Sony is mirrorless and has the EVF inside the camera. Wonder what he smokes? Maybe LSD has made a comeback!
    Last edited by algrove; 31st May 2015 at 16:18.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  23. #223
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    iiiNelson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    3,187
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Zeiss Batis 25/2 and 85/1.8 Coming

    Quote Originally Posted by Show Performance View Post
    I know Guy has already seen this, but for the rest of you that haven't - I stumbled into both Batis at a dealer day expo at Precision Camera the other day. Very brief time with the lenses so don't expect any inspiring snaps but here is a write-up...

    Zeiss Batis 25mm and 85mm hands-on, plus FE 28mm f/2 comparison | Chad Wadsworth | Photographer

    If you don't care to read through, the short story is I am buying both! I was confident that the 85mm would be great but wasn't as interested in the 25mm given my satisfaction with the budget FE 28/2. I was wrong on the 25mm and took an immediate shine to it. Might end up being my most used lens.
    Seems like two winners but I expected that honestly. Won't be for everyone due to cost/size but for those that need it I think they will be the best options.
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  24. #224
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    k-hawinkler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The "Land of Enchantment"
    Posts
    3,298
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Zeiss Batis 25/2 and 85/1.8 Coming

    Quote Originally Posted by HiredArm View Post
    Seems like two winners but I expected that honestly. Won't be for everyone due to cost/size but for those that need it I think they will be the best options.

    I would like to see substantial reviews rather than a first impression before making up my mind whether these lenses are worth getting.
    With best regards, K-H.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  25. #225
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    2,057
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Zeiss Batis 25/2 and 85/1.8 Coming

    K-H
    In the mean time why not put yourself on a list just in case you want one or both. You can always decline at a later date should you change your mind.

  26. #226
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    iiiNelson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    3,187
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Zeiss Batis 25/2 and 85/1.8 Coming

    Quote Originally Posted by k-hawinkler View Post
    I would like to see substantial reviews rather than a first impression before making up my mind whether these lenses are worth getting.
    Of course reviews and user experience are preferred for consistency. That being said there are shots out there that give insight to renderig. There are MTF charts if that's your sort of thing as well. I generally just need to see pics (preferably full resolution) to get most of the info I'm after. Usability is subject.
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  27. #227
    Senior Member Show Performance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    851
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    5

    Re: Zeiss Batis 25/2 and 85/1.8 Coming

    Quote Originally Posted by k-hawinkler View Post
    I would like to see substantial reviews rather than a first impression before making up my mind whether these lenses are worth getting.
    The funny thing about reviews is that they rarely agree so in the end, you just have to know what to look for or try it yourself.

    I wouldn't expect anyone to buy these lenses based solely on my little experience but heck, I was on pre-order for the 85mm before I even saw a single sample. It was kind of a simple equation:

    Fastish Zeiss 85mm + Native AF + Price + gap in my lineup = Purchase

    With the liberal return policies out there, if you have a need, there is little risk in purchasing and trying (or renting).

  28. #228
    Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    23,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2555

    Re: Zeiss Batis 25/2 and 85/1.8 Coming

    Geez I feel like I rent when I buy something. Lol
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

    www.guymancusophotography.com
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  29. #229
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    k-hawinkler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The "Land of Enchantment"
    Posts
    3,298
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Zeiss Batis 25/2 and 85/1.8 Coming

    With best regards, K-H.

  30. #230
    Senior Member Show Performance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    851
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    5

    Re: Zeiss Batis 25/2 and 85/1.8 Coming

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Geez I feel like I rent when I buy something. Lol
    ALL THE TIME

  31. #231
    Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    23,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2555

    Re: Zeiss Batis 25/2 and 85/1.8 Coming

    I'm getting them both , just bought the 35 1.4 . I want 25,35,50,85,200. I may try and hold onto my 16-35 for wider than 25 until something comes out. What this gives me is all native glass except for the Minolta 200mm which is A mount. Like to see a 16 or 18 Loxia but if I had the money the Leica Tri elmar would be perfect a 16-18-21 that I can filter and small would be ideal.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

    www.guymancusophotography.com
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

  32. #232
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    k-hawinkler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The "Land of Enchantment"
    Posts
    3,298
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Zeiss Batis 25/2 and 85/1.8 Coming

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    I'm getting them both , just bought the 35 1.4 . I want 25,35,50,85,200. I may try and hold onto my 16-35 for wider than 25 until something comes out. What this gives me is all native glass except for the Minolta 200mm which is A mount. Like to see a 16 or 18 Loxia but if I had the money the Leica Tri elmar would be perfect a 16-18-21 that I can filter and small would be ideal.
    Thanks Guy. It seems you will have a terrific set of tools.
    The WATE was one of the first lenses I bought when I was waiting for my M9 in 2009.
    It has served me well and I can't imagine ever selling it.
    With best regards, K-H.
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  33. #233
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    77
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Zeiss Batis 25/2 and 85/1.8 Coming

    Full size Batis 85mm shots w/ A7 II:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/berlin...57653621961436
    Thanks 3 Member(s) thanked for this post

  34. #234
    Senior Member Malina DZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    S. Florida
    Posts
    549
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Zeiss Batis 25/2 and 85/1.8 Coming

    Quote Originally Posted by Show Performance View Post
    I stumbled into both Batis at a dealer day expo at Precision Camera the other day. Very brief time with the lenses so don't expect any inspiring snaps but here is a write-up...
    Thank you for the sharing your impressions Chad. Can you tell if all phase & contrast detection points are supported with Batis lenses? Do you know how Zeiss is going to implement lens FW updates for AF support on future E-mount cameras?

  35. #235
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Vivek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    13,601
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    21

    Re: Zeiss Batis 25/2 and 85/1.8 Coming

    Quote Originally Posted by Malina DZ View Post
    Do you know how Zeiss is going to implement lens FW updates for AF support on future E-mount cameras?
    I asked Zeiss this >a month ago. Total silence!
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

  36. #236
    Senior Member Malina DZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    S. Florida
    Posts
    549
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Zeiss Batis 25/2 and 85/1.8 Coming

    Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    I asked Zeiss this >a month ago. Total silence!
    I haven't seen the answer mentioned anywhere myself, and it is not inspiring since full AF support on current A7 series bodies and easy update in future is the only reason I would consider Batis 85/1.8 among a myriad of other wonderful options in that focal length.

  37. #237
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Vivek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    13,601
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    21

    Re: Zeiss Batis 25/2 and 85/1.8 Coming

    "Myriad of wonderful options thought" gets your head chewed!

  38. #238
    Senior Member Malina DZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    S. Florida
    Posts
    549
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Zeiss Batis 25/2 and 85/1.8 Coming

    Vivek, I didn't mean options in native FE mount. Though others aren't flawless, even Otus 85/1.4, there are very good alternatives for very taste.

  39. #239
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Vivek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    13,601
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    21

    Re: Zeiss Batis 25/2 and 85/1.8 Coming

    Malina, there aren't any "native" lens options except the one horse Batis for the E mount. I also meant the "other" options in the same way.

  40. #240
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    70
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Zeiss Batis 25/2 and 85/1.8 Coming

    I wouldn't expect anyone to buy these lenses based solely on my little experience but heck, I was on pre-order for the 85mm before I even saw a single sample. It was kind of a simple equation:

    Fastish Zeiss 85mm + Native AF + Price + gap in my lineup = Purchase
    [/QUOTE]


    Yeah, I pretty much agree. My big question is about the Batis' pincushion distortion. It's there; I can see it, and Zeiss acknowledges it. How much resolution will be lost correcting for it? Depending on the answer, I might consider the 90mm macro instead.

  41. #241
    Senior Member ggibson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    SF Bay Area
    Posts
    743
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Zeiss Batis 25/2 and 85/1.8 Coming

    Some full-sized images here to pixel-peep:

    http://3d-kraft.com/index.php?option...id=40&Itemid=2

    25/2 Batis vs. Sony 16-35/4:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/hhackb...57654159654170

    85/1.8 Batis vs. Otus 85/1.4 vs. Nikkor 85/1.8 vs. Leica APO 75/2:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/hhackb...57654118210600

    Impressive performance out of both Batis lenses. I was equally impressed with Sony's 16-35/4, which is almost identical at f8... maybe slightly weaker in the upper left corner. It seems like the largest benefit to the Batis 25 is the wide aperture and sharpness at f4 and below. Otherwise, the 16-35mm looks just as good to my eyes.

    I didn't peep the 85's shots too much, but the Batis looks very sharp from f1.8.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/grahamgibson/
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  42. #242
    Senior Member Ario Arioldi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Milano, Italy
    Posts
    784
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Zeiss Batis 25/2 and 85/1.8 Coming

    Quote Originally Posted by Malina DZ View Post
    I haven't seen the answer mentioned anywhere myself, and it is not inspiring since full AF support on current A7 series bodies and easy update in future is the only reason I would consider Batis 85/1.8 among a myriad of other wonderful options in that focal length.
    For the Touit e-mount lenses the FW upgrade was possible.
    http://www.zeiss.com/camera-lenses/e...tions---update

  43. #243
    Senior Member Malina DZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    S. Florida
    Posts
    549
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Zeiss Batis 25/2 and 85/1.8 Coming

    Quote Originally Posted by Ario Arioldi View Post
    For the Touit e-mount lenses the FW upgrade was possible.
    True, year and a half later after the lens release... a shipment to Zeiss facility is required for FW update.

  44. #244
    Senior Member Malina DZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    S. Florida
    Posts
    549
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Zeiss Batis 25/2 and 85/1.8 Coming

    Quote Originally Posted by ggibson View Post
    I didn't peep the 85's shots too much, but the Batis looks very sharp from f1.8.
    One does not need to peep to see that Batis 85/1.8 FOV is narrower than claimed 29 and distortion is quite noticeable compared to its 85mm peers.
    Yes, it's sharp and has CA under control. Tamron could have managed the distortion way better than that. Their 70-300 USD zoom lens at 85mm exhibits less distortion than this prime.

  45. #245
    Senior Member ggibson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    SF Bay Area
    Posts
    743
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Zeiss Batis 25/2 and 85/1.8 Coming

    Quote Originally Posted by Malina DZ View Post
    One does not need to peep to see that Batis 85/1.8 FOV is narrower than claimed 29 and distortion is quite noticeable compared to its 85mm peers.
    Yes, it's sharp and has CA under control. Tamron could have managed the distortion way better than that. Their 70-300 USD zoom lens at 85mm exhibits less distortion than this prime.
    What do you mean? Looks like the Batis was shot at a slightly different angle, how can you really assess distortion and FOV?

  46. #246
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    London
    Posts
    232
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Zeiss Batis 25/2 and 85/1.8 Coming

    Quote Originally Posted by biglouis View Post
    I'm not sure I am a GAS addict as such. I've just sold all my remaining Leica lenses except for the CV 21/1.8

    The 16-35 just does not appeal - I do not want another slow, beer can sized lens. The 21/1.8 is an amazing lens but a dog to meter with as it is a lump of glass with no relationship with the camera.

    That is why I want a 25/2. I have come to realise that native FE glass is just superior when it comes to metering and focussing.

    Just my two cents.

    LouisB

    PS I may still keep the 21/1.8 anyway... depends on how good the 25/2 is.
    im on a similar boat. im currently using sigma 12-24mm while it covers a very useful range i did find the IQ not quite up to it. plus it is quite bulky.

    I have a CV 15 mk3 on the way, and now im looking for something to cover the tele end. CV21 comes to mind, but this 25/2 is seriously tempting especially im quite weight sensitivity. AF is of course extra bonus. my problem is that i also have a leica tri-elmar which covers 28-50 so 25/2 may be abit too close to 28mm.... may be i should wait for Batis 21mm.
    Keep It Simple.
    XQ2 / A7r / 15mm / 25mm / 28-35-50mm
    EOS M3 / 18-35mm

  47. #247
    Senior Member Malina DZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    S. Florida
    Posts
    549
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Zeiss Batis 25/2 and 85/1.8 Coming

    Quote Originally Posted by ggibson View Post
    Looks like the Batis was shot at a slightly different angle, how can you really assess distortion and FOV?
    Both portrait and wine glass scenes exhibit the same FOV and distortion properties compared to other 85mm lenses. BTW, Batis shots have CA, distortion correction enabled unlike its peers.
    Any news on PDAF support? No one seems to mention that. Will it support all AF points in a7R II?

  48. #248
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Vivek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    13,601
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    21

    Re: Zeiss Batis 25/2 and 85/1.8 Coming

    Quote Originally Posted by Malina DZ View Post
    True, year and a half later after the lens release... a shipment to Zeiss facility is required for FW update.
    Key issue for me. No answers yet from Zeiss. May be they trying to figure out whether to ship it to Tamron or Sony or whomever. The logistics involved in the labels must be mind boggling.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  49. #249
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    iiiNelson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    3,187
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Zeiss Batis 25/2 and 85/1.8 Coming

    I got a call today checking to see if I still wanted the Batis lenses today as the local dealer was allocated 6 of each and I'd definitely get one when they came in. I'm assuming that shipping is imminent.
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

  50. #250
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    180
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Zeiss Batis 25/2 and 85/1.8 Coming

    I am all in for the Batis 85mm, pretty excited about this lens, at reasonable price point. My plan is to see how it works with my A7r camera first, before considering the A7r II camera.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •