Site Sponsors
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Thread: Zeiss Batis 25/2 and 85/1.8 Coming

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Zeiss Batis 25/2 and 85/1.8 Coming

Had I not modded my A7 for RF wides, I would consider the 25/2 a must have.

The samples I just saw had it pretty much killing the 1635 at 5.6, which puts it in rare company with the CV15 V3, and maybe the new 28/2 (i don't know about that one)

The 85 looks big to me, LOL, well so does the 25. So many great options for these cameras 75-90, but looks like really only one at 25 1300 a little rich, but I won't mention what I paid for my 28 cron I don't mind really since I use it all the time and it's my best M lens.

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Trying to figure out when these ship. Trying to time things. I don't have them pre-ordered.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Guy I think they're shipping from distributors to stores in early July... If not late June.
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

Post Thanks / Like

Mine is on pre-order.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

FWIW: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6d9OeMPdTo (he is a store front that sells goods)

BTW, photography has become a bother with all sorts of online mudslinging wrt brands going on at an elevated level. There is an hour long viedo posted by a "Sony Artisan" to counter a nasty attack video. Not sure where it is heading.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    FWIW: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6d9OeMPdTo (he is a store front that sells goods)

BTW, photography has become a bother with all sorts of online mudslinging wrt brands going on at an elevated level. There is an hour long viedo posted by a "Sony Artisan" to counter a nasty attack video. Not sure where it is heading.
    Vivek, Wasn't that the guy with the pink Leica?
    With best regards, K-H.

Post Thanks / Like

has anyone come across any comparison or reference to the new Batis 25mm with the ZF/ZE 25mm and also the 21mm F2.8 ? thanks!
    Keep It Simple.
    XQ2 / A7r / 15mm / 25mm / 28-35-50mm
    EOS M3 / 18-35mm

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by UHDR View Post
    has anyone come across any comparison or reference to the new Batis 25mm with the ZF/ZE 25mm and also the 21mm F2.8 ? thanks!
    A few user reports/reviews compared the 25 Batis with the 25 ZF/ZE and noted that performance was very similar.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HiredArm View Post
    A few user reports/reviews compared the 25 Batis with the 25 ZF/ZE and noted that performance was very similar.
    beautiful! im dying to to trade-in my 70-400mm since i hardly ever use it anymore.
    Keep It Simple.
    XQ2 / A7r / 15mm / 25mm / 28-35-50mm
    EOS M3 / 18-35mm

Post Thanks / Like

Delivery dates updated

I was checking my preorder at B&H and noticed they've updated the delivery dates on both lenses to July 17. It just said 'Early July' before.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yea I noticed it too. Have money in hand and ready to pounce on the 85mm. I get into NY on the 14th driving across country in a truck. ( long story) Lol. I start big shooting gig on 19th so maybe get lucky. But I rented a FE 70-200 F4 for the job.

I made some lens movements. Bought a VC 15mm Version III, will get the 25 f2 late August unless I can't grab the 85 right away. But end of day my plan is VC15, 25 Batis, have 35 1.4, have Loxia 50, Batis 85, than I will see about longer once I get my A7rII. Maybe a 135 F2 or something. I need fast, long and all AF points on this end.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Yea I noticed it too. Have money in hand and ready to pounce on the 85mm. I get into NY on the 14th driving across country in a truck. ( long story) Lol. I start big shooting gig on 19th so maybe get lucky. But I rented a FE 70-200 F4 for the job.

I made some lens movements. Bought a VC 15mm Version III, will get the 25 f2 late August unless I can't grab the 85 right away. But end of day my plan is VC15, 25 Batis, have 35 1.4, have Loxia 50, Batis 85, than I will see about longer once I get my A7rII. Maybe a 135 F2 or something. I need fast, long and all AF points on this end.
    ***Cough*** I might be selling the 135/1.8 to fund my A7RII and a wedding ***Cough***

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

***Cough*** I might be selling the 135/1.8 to fund my A7RII and a wedding ***Cough***
    Are you serious? one lens can fund both???

Post Thanks / Like

A quick googling didn't get me any comparison 25mm f/2 Distagon (on Canon or Nikon) vs the Batis.
    It is an interesting question for me: Canon ZE 25mm vs Batis 25mm, both on an A7R...

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    Are you serious? one lens can fund both???
    No but it offsets dipping deeper into the budget. I have other Leica crap to sell though. The wedding money is already allocated. The A7RII money is not but as soon as I sell some excess it will be.

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats
    on the wedding I mean , I guess the a7II was a given anyway
    My Pics

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pegelli View Post
    Congrats
    on the wedding I mean , I guess the a7II was a given anyway
    Thanks and yes the A7RII was/is a given since I converted the A7R.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Some of us have looked at the MTF for the two CZ 25s - Batis and ZEF. Very different lenses obviously in physical dimensions, and it seems Zeiss has traded a little center performance for high image quality across the whole frame, which we can understand given the likely buyers of the Batis 25. Both are very good of course, but the Batis looks more versatile maybe, Zeiss are promoting this aspect. At f2 on a 600 gram body it will see plenty of street/off the cuff/creative work where bokeh is important. It looks more like a short telephoto in its signature. TBH, more portrait lenses should look like its chart wide open, I bet it's great for enviro portraits.

The Batis 85 fits in well with the other high end Zeiss lenses of recent years, loses a little in corners compared to lenses that are far better re distortion and old school design acceptability, thinking of say 135/2 APO and 100MP. But the MTF look the business, and no one will complain of lack of sharpness, as it is in that league for sure. I agree with Matt Granger that it is a good buy at the asking money.

And a note (if not made elsewhere on GDPI) that the Batis MTF and other info described in the data charts are now available at the Zeiss download center here:

http://www.zeiss.com/camera-lenses/e...is_lenses.html

I'd say these MTF charts reflect s/w profile adjustments, they are a little lower and less 'woolly' than the ones Lloyd published, and distortion data is clearly post s/w.

The charts also provide lens construction, and yes, the B85 config is near identical to the Tamron design patented recently. Even if so, Zeiss are doing the glass selection, and Zeiss QC staff oversee the assembly, tolerance handling and final QA/certification process, and of course coatings, and material selection and ancillaries like OLED. Just a few weeks now.

I hope they keep up with demand in the initial flurry. Unlike the FE 35/1.4 where price and other choices dampen the demand for what is clearly a great lens, this B85 is going to appeal to a very important user group - portrait (formal/studio and street/family/general) and event shooters especially, and there is nothing else that matches it in the FE lineup, no real legacy competitor, it's a new Zeiss, it's a new design, it has new AF/OIS, new OLED..and if images look as gorgeous as some pre-release ones it will be very popular.

Looks like another reason to join the FE brigade.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm offering anyone a 50 dollar reward for the capture of a BATIS 85. In stock ready to buy ASAP. Reward given once acquired. I'm not joking here.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by philip_pj View Post
    Some of us have looked at the MTF for the two CZ 25s - Batis and ZEF. Very different lenses obviously in physical dimensions, and it seems Zeiss has traded a little center performance for high image quality across the whole frame, which we can understand given the likely buyers of the Batis 25. Both are very good of course, but the Batis looks more versatile maybe, Zeiss are promoting this aspect. At f2 on a 600 gram body it will see plenty of street/off the cuff/creative work where bokeh is important. It looks more like a short telephoto in its signature. TBH, more portrait lenses should look like its chart wide open, I bet it's great for enviro portraits.

The Batis 85 fits in well with the other high end Zeiss lenses of recent years, loses a little in corners compared to lenses that are far better re distortion and old school design acceptability, thinking of say 135/2 APO and 100MP. But the MTF look the business, and no one will complain of lack of sharpness, as it is in that league for sure. I agree with Matt Granger that it is a good buy at the asking money.

And a note (if not made elsewhere on GDPI) that the Batis MTF and other info described in the data charts are now available at the Zeiss download center here:

http://www.zeiss.com/camera-lenses/e...is_lenses.html

I'd say these MTF charts reflect s/w profile adjustments, they are a little lower and less 'woolly' than the ones Lloyd published, and distortion data is clearly post s/w.

The charts also provide lens construction, and yes, the B85 config is near identical to the Tamron design patented recently. Even if so, Zeiss are doing the glass selection, and Zeiss QC staff oversee the assembly, tolerance handling and final QA/certification process, and of course coatings, and material selection and ancillaries like OLED. Just a few weeks now.

I hope they keep up with demand in the initial flurry. Unlike the FE 35/1.4 where price and other choices dampen the demand for what is clearly a great lens, this B85 is going to appeal to a very important user group - portrait (formal/studio and street/family/general) and event shooters especially, and there is nothing else that matches it in the FE lineup, no real legacy competitor, it's a new Zeiss, it's a new design, it has new AF/OIS, new OLED..and if images look as gorgeous as some pre-release ones it will be very popular.

Looks like another reason to join the FE brigade.
    "I hope they keep up with demand in the initial flurry."

With all the time they've taken getting these lenses into users hands I sure hope so.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hope they made a lot of them. Going to sell fast.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd assume so. My local shop isn't a particularly large one (although it is one of the two "pro level" shops in town) and they are allocated 6 of each lens on initial shipment when they usually only get one or two of a lens/camera body for Sony.

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=philip_pj;648951]

Good catch!

At MTF 40, at f4, at the extreme corner, this chart shows a 10-20% reduction in resolution compared to the digilloyd chart. (Depending on whether you consider sagittal or tangential.)

The lens still looks quite sharp, even in the corners. Maybe not Otus sharp or as sharp as the Sony/Zeiss 55/1.8....

--d

Post Thanks / Like

I do not buy into this utter marketing no sense but I got this today because I'm zeiss client so I thought I'd share it here

http://www.zeiss.com/camera-lenses/e...ges/batis.html
    Kind regards - Hulyss - hulyssbowman.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh well.
    With best regards, K-H.

Post Thanks / Like

I saw this review on the Batis 25 and thought others might find it interesting:

http://www.albertdros.com/#!1-week-w...f20881704255d8

Great set of images there. Be warned, this link might inspire GAS
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/grahamgibson/

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have a open flame for both of them but the 85 first. Lol

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ggibson View Post
    Be warned, this link might inspire GAS
    I've got both of them ordered, however I'm especially anxious for the 25mm. 24-28mm has always been my favorite range, so this should be ideal.

Now if they would just do a 135mm or a 200mm...

Post Thanks / Like

Some of you may be interested in this quick overview and comparison with an Otus and Nikon 85 1.8g, http://3d-kraft.com/index.php?option...enses&Itemid=2