The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Zeiss Batis 25/2 and 85/1.8 Coming

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Bottom line no matter where they are made even if the same lens is made in two diffrent countries they use the same optical glass the same design and are identical . I owned a ton of Leica glass and people would buy the German ones and ignore the Canadian versions. Guess what they are morons for thinking the German ones are better. It's urban myth and keeps getting more play than it should. I been through Leicas factory and there is no difference they use the same glass in either location. There bodies are made in Portugal because of the magnesium alloy are not allowed to run that process in Germany. People are so caught up in these urban myths and exactly what Leica wants is to build and sell luxury items. More important they want to put that Made in Germany stamp on it. Trust me many parts are not made in Germany but assembled there.

jagsiva

I thought the Canadian Leica lenses fetched a premium due to having a "personality" over the german ones, but I could just be biased :)

V

Vivek

Don't tell me that you buy or believe that the German Leica lenses are optically superior to the Canadian ones... or that the Leica Panasonic's clones have better color too... because of where they are produced. :D
What was that? :confused:

All my Sony A7 cams were made in Thailand. So is the Sony FE 28/2. They are product of Thailand, made by Sony. Same goes for all the movies they make in hollywood. No one would claim they are Japanese products. :D

It is all misleading about badges and over extending a trademark.

No matter what you tell or a host of people say, the blue tagged Sony-Zeiss are Sony lenses sold for a premium. That is my opinion.

iiiNelson

Hey I love my Canadian 90 Cron Pre-AA... It's the one Leica branded M-mount lens that I've kept and probably won't sell.

Guy Mancuso

I thought the Canadian Leica lenses fetched a premium due to having a "personality" over the german ones, but I could just be biased :)
Lol . Oh your from Canada. ROTFLMAO

Seriously I never had a issue buying the Canadion version. I think the Noctilux was made there at one time too.

iiiNelson

What was that? :confused:

All my Sony A7 cams were made in Thailand. So is the Sony FE 28/2. They are product of Thailand, made by Sony. Same goes for all the movies they make in hollywood. No one would claim they are Japanese products. :D

It is all misleading about badges and over extending a trademark.

No matter what you tell or a host of people say, the blue tagged Sony-Zeiss are Sony lenses sold for a premium. That is my opinion.
Well I'm not arguing that they are sold for a premium as that would be a ridiculous argument. I was merely stating that SOME of them are worth that premium.

Some aren't even worth any premium status to me. For the record though the most expensive A-mount lenses carry Sony G branding and not Zeiss branding. Typically the Sony Zeiss lenses are closely priced with the Canon/Nikon competition. So it's not that the blue tag is really a problem as "G" status may command an even higher price.

Guy Mancuso

Seriously folks a lot of the reasons things are made outside the mother country is the process to make them is not legal in the mother country. One example is Apple outside the costs they have processes in place that are not allowed here in the states. Chemicals that is.

Guy Mancuso

Anyway back to these lenses which in my mind this makes a HUGE statement for Sony mirror less. Outside there own connection with Sony on there own developed two lines of lenses for the FE mount. This alone makes a huge statement for the future of mirrorless and Sony as the leader in it. Sure there are others but Zeiss making two lens lines is not normal for them if at all. I can't consider this a very serious commitment

iiiNelson

Anyway back to these lenses which in my mind this makes a HUGE statement for Sony mirror less. Outside there own connection with Sony on there own developed two lines of lenses for the FE mount. This alone makes a huge statement for the future of mirrorless and Sony as the leader in it. Sure there are others but Zeiss making two lens lines is not normal for them if at all. I can't consider this a very serious commitment
Probably the closest we are going to get to a spiritual successor of a modern day Zeiss Ikon.

It's crazy that these were just announced as I just pre-ordered the 28/2 last week after seeing some really good results from it here. These look like they will be winners for the rumored 50MP body if they're anything like the 55FE Sonnar or 35FE Distagon. Just need a 15-21mm and a 135mm option for me to complete a 5-6 prime setup.

Anyone want need a Sigma Art 35 or a Zeiss 135/1.8 anytime in the next 2 months?

Guy Mancuso

Probably the closest we are going to get to a spiritual successor of a modern day Zeiss Ikon.

It's crazy that these were just announced as I just pre-ordered the 28/2 last week after seeing some really good results from it here. These look like they will be winners for the rumored 50MP body if they're anything like the 55FE Sonnar or 35FE Distagon. Just need a 15-21mm and a 135mm option for me to complete a 5-6 prime setup.

Anyone want need a Sigma Art 35 or a Zeiss 135/1.8 anytime in the next 2 months?
I'm probably going to jump on these two Batis lenses. I'm thinking there going to be outstanding. I would sell my 16-35 for the 25 prime and find a 15 prime somewhere even go back to the Samyang 14mm would not bug me. The 85 is a no brainer , I need that one badly. I just sold my ZA 85 so it's my missing lens.

Love to see a 200mm 2.8 to replace my Minolta so no adapter needed but that might be a long wait . Or a great 135 F2

iiiNelson

Yup... I knew what you meant and I agree. I suppose these will still be too large for some but I think that they appear to balance the line between too large and too small very well. No it's not pocketable nor is it a slow pancake lens but I don't know any FF system camera that can do all of that.

Yeah I will preorder both when I check my discretionary camera budget and/or sell my A-mount lenses as it should cover the costs of both. I can even live with a 70-200/4 (as it takes the same filter as the 35 Distagon that'll arrive in a couple days) zoom until a fast Zeiss or Sony FE 135mm comes.

Guy Mancuso

IMHO this announcement just completely made the A7 a valid contender or maybe better said a more complete one. Now it's a system

Maybe we jumped into the system too early some may say but I made some amazing images from it and it has supported my Pro efforts so I don't feel like I jumped in too early but I will say I'm glad it just got more complete on the native FE mount

V

Vivek

Tre, It is not about money either. If I make a photo and sell it to you (all the rights) so that you can claim it as your own- that is like this Sony-Zeiss. We know (public knowledge) the Sony people who designed the FE lenses. One guy even gave an interview on the 55 and the 35. If you ask any Zeiss optical designer they will not own up to the design which isn't theirs.

Does anyone think Hasselblad designed the Stellar, Lunar and the Solar cams? :D

iiiNelson

Tre, It is not about money either. If I make a photo and sell it to you (all the rights) so that you can claim it as your own- that is like this Sony-Zeiss. We know (public knowledge) the Sony people who designed the FE lenses. One guy even gave an interview on the 55 and the 35. If you ask any Zeiss optical designer they will not own up to the design which isn't theirs.

Does anyone think Hasselblad designed the Stellar, Lunar and the Solar cams? :D
I guess I just never cared enough about who designed what, where it was design, if it's a genuine design, who paid whom for licensing, whether a said lens was a commissioned/original design, etc... Not in the least bit. It's not meant to be a knock on you at all because I know you are into those types of things. It's just not that much of interest for me to personally dig into - besides the truth/reality is probably buried in NDA's.

What I do care about is does it or does it not perform in a way I deem acceptable. If yes it stays in the bag. If no I return it or keep it if needed until a better solution is presented to me.

ohnri

These new Zeiss lenses are great additions.

I am not generally interested in MF only lenses outside of the rangefinder world so this unexpected new direction from Zeiss is more than welcome.

With my Samsung NX1 for sports, action and video and Sony now filling out their lens lineup I expect my Nikon gear to be short lived.

-Bill

Guy Mancuso

Bill your last comment I was not going to talk about but your right, I lot of Nikon, canon users will look at this as a way to get smaller in system now that it is filling up better. This is a far more reaching announcement than we may just realize today. I came from Nikon and like I said maybe a little earlier than I should onto Sony but more conservative folks that been watching Sony may just make the jump. And let's not forget the new Sony cam announcements that start in the morning. Interesting times

Annna T

So let's say you have the a7II with 5 axis IBIS. How will this IS in the 85 affect all that? Sorry, I watch Sony with interest, but do not own any.
Look for A7II reviews, for instance at DPreview. Or look at the Sony release when the A7 was issued : the IBIS and the OIS will work together : each contributing to the stabilization of different axes. But don't ask me which axis are stabilized by which system, I don't remember.