The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Zeiss Batis 25/2 and 85/1.8 Coming

Malina DZ

But I use this focal length mostly for urban landscape, and the Batis' pincushion distortion looks pretty bad.
David, have you considered Sony 85/2.8 SAM (Sonnar)? You might be surprised by its performance at infinity compared to other Planar 85mm lenses. And, like most other 85mm, it is distortion free.

davidstock

Thanks, Malina. I considered it some time ago, but I got discouraged thinking about buying into the LA-EA4 adapter just for that lens. (Which makes it larger, clunkier and heavier anyhow.) Also, I was discouraged about the build quality. I have read that some of the SAM lenses are sharp, though.

Malina DZ

Also, I was discouraged about the build quality. I have read that some of the SAM lenses are sharp, though.
My 85/2.8 SAM served me well for two years before I sold it. Had no issues with build quality, though the lens does look like it will fall apart after the first month of shooting with it.
I'd pick Canon 90/2.8 TS-E if architecture was my primary focus for this focal range.
Back on topic. Good to finally have a native stabilized AF 85/1.8 lens in FE family. Though I remain indifferent to Batis since 85/1.4 ZA does everything I require from 85mm for portrait shots, with each one of them - distortion free.

Annna T

Mmmm, the sample pics of the 25mm look great to my eyes. Especially those taken in Lucerne where you see the lakeshore : the details in the buildings are incredible. If I was good at selling, I would trade the 16-35mm against it.

iiiNelson

Agree and I'm glad I didn't let my compulsive nature of settling for good enough get the better of me in this case with the 16-35. I may still add it if a satisfactory fast ultrawide prime isn't released but ultimately speed and a somewhat consistent look win out over convenience most of the time with me.

V

Vivek

Well I never bought it. It's good but too slow for anything other than an outdoor lens for me.
Me neither. I bought the 24-70 and returned it after 10 shots. Since we discussed diffraction limits. Already (A7r) the f4 zooms are knocking at diffraction and they aren't built to be used wide open. A big compromise to say the least.

iiiNelson

Yeah I owned the 24-70 as well and got rid of it. It was way too limiting for what I do. Great for a daytime walk around lens.

mathomas

The Batis 85 is very interesting to me. With that purchase, I could sell my A-mount Sigma 85/1.4, which is already a beast without the LAEA4. Bummed to hear about distortion, but I wonder how often it will really appear in my images.

I'm more torn on the wide side. The 28 is attractive due to the speed and the converters, which might be fun/useful for not a lot extra. I realize I might give away a bit in ultimate quality, however. The 25 is attractive because that's what I have in my M-mount and R-mounts already and I'm used to that FL. Plus, it's the Batis design, which I find compelling for some reason.

The great thing about these cameras is that aside from all this mulling over possibilities, I can just mount all the manual-focus and AF A-mount lenses I have now and get excellent results and have fun doing it. Really the best of all worlds, I think.

Nutty side-effect is I'm ending up with even more versions of the same focal lengths of different brands, since they're all shootable on this camera. I think I have six 50's I can mount on this camera now. Geez. There needs to be a refactoring someday...right.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I should start a rental company. Everyone send me the extras and we rent them out make a few bucks and buy more gear. I can feel the GAS now. Lol

Mark Muse

The great thing about these cameras is that aside from all this mulling over possibilities, I can just mount all the manual-focus and AF A-mount lenses I have now and get excellent results and have fun doing it. Really the best of all worlds, I think.

Nutty side-effect is I'm ending up with even more versions of the same focal lengths of different brands, since they're all shootable on this camera. I think I have six 50's I can mount on this camera now. Geez. There needs to be a refactoring someday...right.
I'm right there with you. Between 45mm and 55mm I have nine lenses, all of which I can use on my A7x's, and each of which has its own visual characteristics. Yet I am currently salivating over the Loxia 50, as well as both Batii. I think my X was right… there is no hope.