The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Zeiss Batis 25/2 and 85/1.8 Coming

So the Batis 25 looks to be better than the ZE/ZF 25/2 according to Lloyd. I'm waiting for you GAS addict folks to put up some real life review before I jump for one :D.

tn1krr

What scam?
Apparently a good/great lens can become part of a scam if it is manufactured by a wrong (tm) subcontractor or co-developed with a wrong (tm) party. Things like sharpness, bokeh, color rendering, reliability, weather-sealing, features/usability, QA etc. are irrelevant in this context.

Again, personally I do not care if these lenses are put together in Kardashian's basement or designed by chimpanzee with a reading disorder if they perform optically, are reliable/robust, QA is consistent and service/support works.

Michiel Schierbeek

Apparently a good/great lens can become part of a scam if it is manufactured by a wrong (tm) subcontractor or co-developed with a wrong (tm) party. Things like sharpness, bokeh, color rendering, reliability, weather-sealing, features/usability, QA etc. are irrelevant in this context.

Again, personally I do not care if these lenses are put together in Kardashian's basement or designed by chimpanzee with a reading disorder if they perform optically, are reliable/robust, QA is consistent and service/support works.
Your benchmarks on how things are designed and fabricated are very spacious! :D

The ZM 25 Biogon is one of my favourite lenses and if it performs as good or better i am lost on this one.

biglouis

I'm not sure I am a GAS addict as such. I've just sold all my remaining Leica lenses except for the CV 21/1.8

The 16-35 just does not appeal - I do not want another slow, beer can sized lens. The 21/1.8 is an amazing lens but a dog to meter with as it is a lump of glass with no relationship with the camera.

That is why I want a 25/2. I have come to realise that native FE glass is just superior when it comes to metering and focussing.

Just my two cents.

LouisB

PS I may still keep the 21/1.8 anyway... depends on how good the 25/2 is.

biglouis

biglouis

So are you getting out of Leica like so many I know?
Yes, I may be on my own here but I see no difference between using my Zeiss Loxia 2/35 and the Summicron 35/2 I sold. In fact, I prefer the more modern ergonomics, and I mean the shape and feel of the lens controls over the Leica ones.

Likewise, my 50/2.8 could not really compete with the 55/1.8 and my 90/2.8 I sold because I anticipate that either the Batis 85 or the forthcoming 90/2.8 will be equal to if not better.

I am sure others have different opinions and will disagree but I feel the more the Sony system has matured the safer it is to invest in.

I always forecast that Sony would end up owning the camera space: they are the Microsoft of consumer electronics and frankly it seems my prophecy is coming true.

Just my two cents.

LouisB

iiiNelson

Yes, I may be on my own here but I see no difference between using my Zeiss Loxia 2/35 and the Summicron 35/2 I sold. In fact, I prefer the more modern ergonomics, and I mean the shape and feel of the lens controls over the Leica ones.

Likewise, my 50/2.8 could not really compete with the 55/1.8 and my 90/2.8 I sold because I anticipate that either the Batis 85 or the forthcoming 90/2.8 will be equal to if not better.

I am sure others have different opinions and will disagree but I feel the more the Sony system has matured the safer it is to invest in.

I always forecast that Sony would end up owning the camera space: they are the Microsoft of consumer electronics and frankly it seems my prophecy is coming true.

Just my two cents.

LouisB
You're not alone and I've dumped most of my M lenses and my M bodies last year except a few in case Leica ever makes a body too good for me to pass up. If Sony makes a Monochrome body though I'd dump those last few lenses and put just about anything Leica out of my mind. I agree that while not as extensive in lens choice yet there are some excellent one in the FE lineup combined with adequate ones that get the job done even if they aren't for my personal kit.

turtle

Quite.

The Cosina Zeiss lenses (ZM) perform superbly for their price point and, early wobbles aside, show that collaborative approaches make otherwise impossible product lines possible.

I also suspect Sony has been listening on this one and the awful QC with the 35mm Sonnar is something that might be less of an issue with new lenses.

Sub-sub (and beyond) contracting is commonplace in industry. I see no reason why its not acceptable in optics, as long as the label brand enforces brand appropriate quality. This is where things slipped with the Zeiss Sony Tamron or whatever it is 35mm Sonnar (and to a lesser extent the 55mm too).

V

Vivek

Just my two cents.

LouisB
Any predictions (even if based on personal needs) is always contentious on a forum. So, I shall be quiet regarding that. :angel:

RE: Leica. It is not Sony or anyone else who have done any damage to their sales! :angel:

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I lost the Leica itch a long time ago. Paying triple for maybe 1-5 percent performance increase was not worth the costs. I'll hobble along as a guy that came from the best tech lenses on the planet that 5 percent just does not always add up when it comes to a 8 thousand dollar lens.. I'll pay a extra 1 thousand dollars for that 5 percent but no more. I worn out that T shirt. LOL