The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Zeiss Batis 25/2 and 85/1.8 Coming

algrove

Even if Leica posts a 2 hour video of metal polishing, I would not consider the T as a "cutting edge" product.
Me either, but I decided to give the guy something so I picked the T due to its interface/LCD. The polishing I could care about since when I get cameras I get them black.

Just been over the LUF again and this guy keeps it up. Now THE cutting edge camera is a mirrorless camera with an EVF--the M. I reminded him that the M has a lump on top called an EVF, but Sony is mirrorless and has the EVF inside the camera. Wonder what he smokes? Maybe LSD has made a comeback!

Last edited:

iiiNelson

I know Guy has already seen this, but for the rest of you that haven't - I stumbled into both Batis at a dealer day expo at Precision Camera the other day. Very brief time with the lenses so don't expect any inspiring snaps but here is a write-up...

Zeiss Batis 25mm and 85mm hands-on, plus FE 28mm f/2 comparison | Chad Wadsworth | Photographer

If you don't care to read through, the short story is I am buying both! I was confident that the 85mm would be great but wasn't as interested in the 25mm given my satisfaction with the budget FE 28/2. I was wrong on the 25mm and took an immediate shine to it. Might end up being my most used lens.
Seems like two winners but I expected that honestly. Won't be for everyone due to cost/size but for those that need it I think they will be the best options.

k-hawinkler

Seems like two winners but I expected that honestly. Won't be for everyone due to cost/size but for those that need it I think they will be the best options.

I would like to see substantial reviews rather than a first impression before making up my mind whether these lenses are worth getting.

algrove

K-H
In the mean time why not put yourself on a list just in case you want one or both. You can always decline at a later date should you change your mind.

iiiNelson

I would like to see substantial reviews rather than a first impression before making up my mind whether these lenses are worth getting.
Of course reviews and user experience are preferred for consistency. That being said there are shots out there that give insight to renderig. There are MTF charts if that's your sort of thing as well. I generally just need to see pics (preferably full resolution) to get most of the info I'm after. Usability is subject.

The funny thing about reviews is that they rarely agree so in the end, you just have to know what to look for or try it yourself.

I wouldn't expect anyone to buy these lenses based solely on my little experience but heck, I was on pre-order for the 85mm before I even saw a single sample. It was kind of a simple equation:

Fastish Zeiss 85mm + Native AF + Price + gap in my lineup = Purchase

With the liberal return policies out there, if you have a need, there is little risk in purchasing and trying (or renting).

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I'm getting them both , just bought the 35 1.4 . I want 25,35,50,85,200. I may try and hold onto my 16-35 for wider than 25 until something comes out. What this gives me is all native glass except for the Minolta 200mm which is A mount. Like to see a 16 or 18 Loxia but if I had the money the Leica Tri elmar would be perfect a 16-18-21 that I can filter and small would be ideal.

k-hawinkler

I'm getting them both , just bought the 35 1.4 . I want 25,35,50,85,200. I may try and hold onto my 16-35 for wider than 25 until something comes out. What this gives me is all native glass except for the Minolta 200mm which is A mount. Like to see a 16 or 18 Loxia but if I had the money the Leica Tri elmar would be perfect a 16-18-21 that I can filter and small would be ideal.
Thanks Guy. It seems you will have a terrific set of tools.
The WATE was one of the first lenses I bought when I was waiting for my M9 in 2009.
It has served me well and I can't imagine ever selling it. ;)

Malina DZ

I stumbled into both Batis at a dealer day expo at Precision Camera the other day. Very brief time with the lenses so don't expect any inspiring snaps but here is a write-up...
Thank you for the sharing your impressions Chad. Can you tell if all phase & contrast detection points are supported with Batis lenses? Do you know how Zeiss is going to implement lens FW updates for AF support on future E-mount cameras?

Malina DZ

I asked Zeiss this >a month ago. Total silence! :eek:
I haven't seen the answer mentioned anywhere myself, and it is not inspiring since full AF support on current A7 series bodies and easy update in future is the only reason I would consider Batis 85/1.8 among a myriad of other wonderful options in that focal length.

V

Vivek

"Myriad of wonderful options thought" gets your head chewed! :lecture:

Malina DZ

Vivek, I didn't mean options in native FE mount. Though others aren't flawless, even Otus 85/1.4, there are very good alternatives for very taste.

V

Vivek

Malina, there aren't any "native" lens options except the one horse Batis for the E mount. I also meant the "other" options in the same way.

davidstock

I wouldn't expect anyone to buy these lenses based solely on my little experience but heck, I was on pre-order for the 85mm before I even saw a single sample. It was kind of a simple equation:

Fastish Zeiss 85mm + Native AF + Price + gap in my lineup = Purchase
[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I pretty much agree. My big question is about the Batis' pincushion distortion. It's there; I can see it, and Zeiss acknowledges it. How much resolution will be lost correcting for it? Depending on the answer, I might consider the 90mm macro instead.

ggibson

Some full-sized images here to pixel-peep:

http://3d-kraft.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=175&catid=40&Itemid=2

25/2 Batis vs. Sony 16-35/4:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/hhackbarth/sets/72157654159654170

85/1.8 Batis vs. Otus 85/1.4 vs. Nikkor 85/1.8 vs. Leica APO 75/2:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/hhackbarth/sets/72157654118210600

Impressive performance out of both Batis lenses. I was equally impressed with Sony's 16-35/4, which is almost identical at f8... maybe slightly weaker in the upper left corner. It seems like the largest benefit to the Batis 25 is the wide aperture and sharpness at f4 and below. Otherwise, the 16-35mm looks just as good to my eyes.

I didn't peep the 85's shots too much, but the Batis looks very sharp from f1.8.