The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Zeiss Batis 25/2 and 85/1.8 Coming

Malina DZ

I didn't peep the 85's shots too much, but the Batis looks very sharp from f1.8.
One does not need to peep to see that Batis 85/1.8 FOV is narrower than claimed 29° and distortion is quite noticeable compared to its 85mm peers.
Yes, it's sharp and has CA under control. Tamron could have managed the distortion way better than that. Their 70-300 USD zoom lens at 85mm exhibits less distortion than this prime.

ggibson

One does not need to peep to see that Batis 85/1.8 FOV is narrower than claimed 29° and distortion is quite noticeable compared to its 85mm peers.
Yes, it's sharp and has CA under control. Tamron could have managed the distortion way better than that. Their 70-300 USD zoom lens at 85mm exhibits less distortion than this prime.
What do you mean? Looks like the Batis was shot at a slightly different angle, how can you really assess distortion and FOV?

UHDR

I'm not sure I am a GAS addict as such. I've just sold all my remaining Leica lenses except for the CV 21/1.8

The 16-35 just does not appeal - I do not want another slow, beer can sized lens. The 21/1.8 is an amazing lens but a dog to meter with as it is a lump of glass with no relationship with the camera.

That is why I want a 25/2. I have come to realise that native FE glass is just superior when it comes to metering and focussing.

Just my two cents.

LouisB

PS I may still keep the 21/1.8 anyway... depends on how good the 25/2 is.
im on a similar boat. im currently using sigma 12-24mm while it covers a very useful range i did find the IQ not quite up to it. plus it is quite bulky.

I have a CV 15 mk3 on the way, and now im looking for something to cover the tele end. CV21 comes to mind, but this 25/2 is seriously tempting especially im quite weight sensitivity. AF is of course extra bonus. my problem is that i also have a leica tri-elmar which covers 28-50 so 25/2 may be abit too close to 28mm.... may be i should wait for Batis 21mm. :)

Malina DZ

Looks like the Batis was shot at a slightly different angle, how can you really assess distortion and FOV?
Both portrait and wine glass scenes exhibit the same FOV and distortion properties compared to other 85mm lenses. BTW, Batis shots have CA, distortion correction enabled unlike its peers.
Any news on PDAF support? No one seems to mention that. Will it support all AF points in a7R II?

V

Vivek

True, year and a half later after the lens release... a shipment to Zeiss facility is required for FW update.
Key issue for me. No answers yet from Zeiss. May be they trying to figure out whether to ship it to Tamron or Sony or whomever. The logistics involved in the labels must be mind boggling. :eek:

iiiNelson

I got a call today checking to see if I still wanted the Batis lenses today as the local dealer was allocated 6 of each and I'd definitely get one when they came in. I'm assuming that shipping is imminent.

Smoothjazz

I am all in for the Batis 85mm, pretty excited about this lens, at reasonable price point. My plan is to see how it works with my A7r camera first, before considering the A7r II camera.

uhoh7

Had I not modded my A7 for RF wides, I would consider the 25/2 a must have.

The samples I just saw had it pretty much killing the 1635 at 5.6, which puts it in rare company with the CV15 V3, and maybe the new 28/2 (i don't know about that one)

The 85 looks big to me, LOL, well so does the 25. So many great options for these cameras 75-90, but looks like really only one at 25 ;) 1300 a little rich, but I won't mention what I paid for my 28 cron :) I don't mind really since I use it all the time and it's my best M lens.

V

Vivek

FWIW: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6d9OeMPdTo (he is a store front that sells goods)

BTW, photography has become a bother with all sorts of online mudslinging wrt brands going on at an elevated level. There is an hour long viedo posted by a "Sony Artisan" to counter a nasty attack video. Not sure where it is heading.

UHDR

has anyone come across any comparison or reference to the new Batis 25mm with the ZF/ZE 25mm and also the 21mm F2.8 ? thanks!

iiiNelson

has anyone come across any comparison or reference to the new Batis 25mm with the ZF/ZE 25mm and also the 21mm F2.8 ? thanks!
A few user reports/reviews compared the 25 Batis with the 25 ZF/ZE and noted that performance was very similar.

Delivery dates updated

I was checking my preorder at B&H and noticed they've updated the delivery dates on both lenses to July 17. It just said 'Early July' before.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Yea I noticed it too. Have money in hand and ready to pounce on the 85mm. I get into NY on the 14th driving across country in a truck. ( long story) Lol. I start big shooting gig on 19th so maybe get lucky. But I rented a FE 70-200 F4 for the job.

I made some lens movements. Bought a VC 15mm Version III, will get the 25 f2 late August unless I can't grab the 85 right away. But end of day my plan is VC15, 25 Batis, have 35 1.4, have Loxia 50, Batis 85, than I will see about longer once I get my A7rII. Maybe a 135 F2 or something. I need fast, long and all AF points on this end.