The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Loxia 50mm F2 tests

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
So I ran out this morning on a day after the rain and the clouds where still very present so no direct sunshine for my test but I did it anyway. I always first test a new lens at this scene as it gives me a very good clue on how the corners are , how the vignetting is and whats the correction plus I get a good center sharpness test. Beyond all that its not a ugly brick wall, I have shot it hundreds of times and for me it serves as a good reference on what I shot before. Now i tested this wall with MF DSLR style, Tech cams, Nikons, Sonys and the hundreds of lenses i have bought. I know this wall maybe better than I know my own wife. LOL

Anyway I usually wait for sunshine but what the heck.

Lets start with Vignetting at F2 In Capture One I need to match a perfect 5.6 shot which we all know would be clean in the corners although F4 would have done it but playing it safe with 5.6.

So a F2 shot needs 1.50 plus EV vignetting control to match a 5.6 image. I think that is very typical myself and frankly I like a little vignetting on wide open shots but thats me.

Now at 2.8 it changes big time and I only need .50 plus EV to match a 5.6 corner.

So I will process at these settings for the corner tests but be aware i made those changes to the F2 and F2.8 images to match across the board.

Okay Ignore the Mercedes , I know pretty hard to ignore a Mercedes AMG but that is not supposed to be in the shots. I am focused squarely in the center on tripod , 2 second delay and a hoodman loupe to double check my focusing which is on the tail of that horse and letter B.

Last edited:

Guy Mancuso

Now looking at these and after just testing the Loxia 35mm F2 a couple weeks ago the 50mm is a little stronger in the corners and center sharpness. Even wide open the 50mm in the corner is nothing to sneeze at. Honestly not sure you would find much better in any brand wide open. Even 50mm can have some field curvature but lets leave that out for now as it really would be extremely minor. But wide open I consider this very good at 2.8 its totally workable if have to be dead on at F2 but F4 is perfect and does not get much better after that. I would say one again its ultimate sweet spot like just about any 1.4, f2 lens 5.6 is it.

Where it just about kicks dirt in everyones face is the central sharpness , its killer wide open. Now please remember I am shooting under a cloud here so all that lovely clarity from sunlight is not here so images do look much duller. Im not a fan of testing like this but I was there and said what the hell.

Im not going back to redo it either as i can tell the lens is brilliant so no real need. But be careful because there is no sun here don't be mislead.

As you can see the images above centrally there was no need to even bother posting after 2.8 . It hits it right there and F2 is down right excellent. If anything maybe a slight contrast loss which is normal. I can tell you right now it is better than the 35 F2 here by I would say a half stop of sharpness. Now i can hear the critiques now and my answer is go screw yourself these are extremely great lenses . Go pick on something else these are excellent lenses. In sunshine these would scream off the page.

Guy Mancuso

You know I'm half joking on the last comment and one reason is I never expect any lens ever to have perfect corners wide open. It just don't really exist and anyone with half a brain knows if you want perfect corners usually it will come right at 5.6 and sometimes better. I know I never ever shoot a landscape image wide open expecting great corners it always is a creative shot to show bokeh and blow out backgrounds. I deal in real world shooting not DXO or any of that other stuff. This lens goes directly into the bag. Done deal exactly what I am after in a 50mm.

Now I realize a lot of folks have the 55mm 1.8 which is brilliant lens maybe a little clinical to me but regardless a screamer. I'm can see going in either direction here depending on what your ultimate look you are after. The 55mm maybe a touch sharper wide open centrally but from memory I think the Loxia is better in the corners. So end of day there are two very very good native 50/55 choices.

What bugged me on the 55 was manual focus but again that was my first AF lens on the Sony so maybe I was too much a newbie with there fly by wire.

V

Vivek

As I said before, Guy, if these Loxii last for 6 months with you, I will consider buying them. :D

Glad you are happy with them. :)

Guy Mancuso

Lol. I like the 50. I'm still in debate on the 35 for one reason only the new 35 1.4. What I may do at some point is rent the 35 1.4 and just go run some tests against each other and see if it's worth it but I want the 85 and 25 first before I do that. But don't get me wrong I really like the Loxia 35 so it would have to be very compelling difference. I'm tired of selling stuff.

thomas

Many thanks for posting your test results!

the 55mm 1.8 which is brilliant lens maybe a little clinical to me but regardless a screamer.
The 55mm maybe a touch sharper wide open centrally but from memory I think the Loxia is better in the corners.
exactly my feeling. The FE1.8/55 looks somewhat harsh/analytical to me as well. And yes, the Loxia is better in the very corners. Overall the Loxia is smoother and provides the classical Planar look (it really looks like the Contax Planar 2.0/80 on a medium format camera)... while the FE1.8/55 is optimized for high contrast at large apertures.

So end of day there are two very very good native 50/55 choices.
yes. But I think it doesn't make sense to compare them with regard to resolution or so. Both are very capable lenses. The main difference is the look and first and foremost the way of shooting you prefer. I for one shoot all "M" all the time... therefore any AF lens is a compromise for me (handling-wise) and I am thankfull that Zeiss provides new MF lenses. I also happen to be a fan of the Planar look (in general a fan of symetrical desgins).

iiiNelson

I figured you'd love the 50 Loxia. They took an excellent lens and optimized it for the FE system. Like you said there are now two great choices (50 and 55.) I've been debating getting this lens myself but I will buy all the other must haves first and revisit this lens later... unless I hear they're going to release the 50mm C-Sonnar... I preferred the rendering of that one to the 50 Summilux ASPH FLE but didn't want to deal with focus shift.

Guy Mancuso

Yea this lens is a little gem. This is a nice choice if the 55 looks a little sterile to your taste. I like the nice smooth look to it

Glad you like the Loxia Guy. I'm sure it is fantastic.

As to the 55mm being too clinical, I may have felt that way a bit initially but that lens has become a "you can pry it from my cold dead hands" keeper. Just absolutely in love with its rendering at 1.8-2.0. I even bought the 4-year Sony service warranty - I've NEVER done that for any of their lenses.

Just goes to show how differently we all see and appreciate the rendering of a specific lens.

Guy Mancuso

No the 55mm is a wonderful lens no question. My bigger issue with it was more manual focusing but it's wide open performance is second to none. Seriously I would not buy a Otus over it.

Guy Mancuso

Little OT but I'm thrilled to see Zeiss taking a huge interest in Sony with not only the partnership lenses but with 2 lens they have developed with Loxia and the new Batis. This is unheard of, consider us lucky Sony owners. Now just fix my A7r and make my day.

Guy Mancuso

Couple shots coming back from a golf tournament I played in. This is the Colorado River near Parker all shot at 5.6 handheld.

Very very nice rendering from this lens. I like it a lot

jfirneno

Couple shots coming back from a golf tournament I played in. This is the Colorado River near Parker all shot at 5.6 handheld.

Very very nice rendering from this lens. I like it a lot
Guy:

It certainly makes pretty images. Zeiss knows what it is doing. I rented the Loxia 50 and loved the results. If I didn't have the 55 1.8 I'd have kept it. One of these days I'll end up buying the Loxias. But Sony and Zeiss are really going to bankrupt the A7 owners if this all keeps up. The 28 f2 is arriving at my house today and there's no end of new lenses in sight. I'm gonna have to get a cheaper hobby.

Guy Mancuso

Guy:

It certainly makes pretty images. Zeiss knows what it is doing. I rented the Loxia 50 and loved the results. If I didn't have the 55 1.8 I'd have kept it. One of these days I'll end up buying the Loxias. But Sony and Zeiss are really going to bankrupt the A7 owners if this all keeps up. The 28 f2 is arriving at my house today and there's no end of new lenses in sight. I'm gonna have to get a cheaper hobby.
LOL don't take up Boating, Golf, Skiing, Dirt Bikes or anything that requires any sort of gear but a ball. LOL

Photography as a hobby actually is one of the cheaper hobby's out there but for God sakes it does not feel like it at all. LOL

These Loxia lenses are really nice but they are not cheap either. The 55mm is a great lens and having at least one Otus like lens is a really nice thing to have in your bag. If the Loxia 50mm was not the gem in the line I would have repurchased the 55mm. But Im using these manual lenses on my high res cam too and not where I need AF. So yes it is a trade off in a sense. For me the stuff that counts it will always be the high end cam and these type of lenses. the A7II is the PR cam and there is where I need the AF. But this can be hard for hobbyist that want only one cam to do everything. If thats the case I recommend the A7II even though its only 24mpx its usually the best suited for general purpose.

Honestly if it was me I would only shoot the A7II as its a far better cam to work with . The 24mpx is my only issue with it. Why I am hoping the A7r replacement is just a sensor type upgrade. I don't need much more than what the A7II can do. Just sensor size now.

Im really looking forward to see what the 28mm F2 can do its a no brainer as far as price. My issue is I am more a 35mm type shooter so my gapping is based on a 35mm lens so one would go 16, 24,35, 85 with a 50mm being somewhat secondary. Where if its based on a 28mm lens than the gapping on that is a little different 14, 21, 28 and 50 than a 90mm. So depends if your system is based on a 35mm lens or a 50mm lens as kind of your lens cap lens. Sometimes I see folks tend to ignore the gapping strategy and thats okay you just wind up with with too many lenses.

The Ute

LOL don't take up Boating, Golf, Skiing, Dirt Bikes or anything that requires any sort of gear but a ball. LOL

Photography as a hobby actually is one of the cheaper hobby's out there but for God sakes it does not feel like it at all. LOL

These Loxia lenses are really nice but they are not cheap either. The 55mm is a great lens and having at least one Otus like lens is a really nice thing to have in your bag. If the Loxia 50mm was not the gem in the line I would have repurchased the 55mm. But Im using these manual lenses on my high res cam too and not where I need AF. So yes it is a trade off in a sense. For me the stuff that counts it will always be the high end cam and these type of lenses. the A7II is the PR cam and there is where I need the AF. But this can be hard for hobbyist that want only one cam to do everything. If thats the case I recommend the A7II even though its only 24mpx its usually the best suited for general purpose.

Honestly if it was me I would only shoot the A7II as its a far better cam to work with . The 24mpx is my only issue with it. Why I am hoping the A7r replacement is just a sensor type upgrade. I don't need much more than what the A7II can do. Just sensor size now.

Im really looking forward to see what the 28mm F2 can do its a no brainer as far as price. My issue is I am more a 35mm type shooter so my gapping is based on a 35mm lens so one would go 16, 24,35, 85 with a 50mm being somewhat secondary. Where if its based on a 28mm lens than the gapping on that is a little different 14, 21, 28 and 50 than a 90mm. So depends if your system is based on a 35mm lens or a 50mm lens as kind of your lens cap lens. Sometimes I see folks tend to ignore the gapping strategy and thats okay you just wind up with with too many lenses.
Yes. And with a "gapping" hole in your pocket.
;)