The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Canikon, Sony, m4/3, Samsung and the future

jfirneno

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZuxo2ZFz_g

I watched this video (link above) yesterday and it confirmed some things that I was thinking:

1) I know less than nothing about video
2) Sony makes great sensors
3) Full frame sensors have some advantages
4) Sony's contrast detect autofocus is extremely poor at tracking
5) Samsung is going to be a much bigger threat for Sony than Olympus, Panasonic, Fuji, Canon or Nikon.

My evaluation of Sony's future place in the camera marketplace will depend on how they address the auto-focus on its cameras. Basically, if they can match the kind of performance I saw from that Samsung camera in the video then there shouldn't be any reason Sony can't produce a world class camera. If not, then they'll be in trouble.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Sorry to say, but that review is crap. It's mostly boring small talk about technical specs and very little about how the cameras actually perform as video cameras. AF on a person walking towards the camera isn't much of a challenge. Try following a football player, a race car or children playing. Maybe the NX has good AF-C, but I've heard different feedback on that. The GH4 and the A6000 are among the best in that area, and if you're on a budget and don't need 4K (and can live with the Sony ergonomics), the small Sony is hard to beat.

Also, the review lacks proper info about battery life (a big issue when shooting video), low contrast profiles, what can be adjusted during shooting, quality and precision of peaking/zebra, how auto ISO is configured. Also, they don't mentioned that the NX1 codec, h.265, isn't supported by mainstream editing software yet (unless I fell asleep while they mentioned it).

Support from the manufacturer is another issue. In Thailand, Samsung cameras are sold through the same stores that sell their phones. You know those places where some employees, on a good day, may just see the difference between a SIM card and a chewing gum. If you're lucky. Service times? Canon, Fuji, Nikon and Olympus take a couple of days at the most in this city. Panasonic takes weeks and even months. Does Samsung have a service policy for cameras?

Where to find good information about video cameras then? Here are two of my favourite websites, run by real professionals. They do have a lot of personal views and preferences, but they are rather honest:

EOSHD
Philip Bloom - DP, Director, Filmmaker

On Philip Bloom's site, you'll find links to his A7s, A6000 and GH4 reviews a bit down on the front page.

V

Vivek

I have no idee how you came to that conclusion! :loco:

See: http://www.getdpi.com/forum/sony/54494-something-different-status-e-mount.html

EFCS can only work with Samsung lenses on NX bodies (may be there are other such quirks that I do not know of). Adaptability is very limited.

Samsung dug a big hole for themselves by choosing the mount (registry) they have although the NX mount is far more secure/robust than the E mount.

What trinitron did to Sony, the NX will do to Samsung - that is my feeling and prediction. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZuxo2ZFz_g

I watched this video (link above) yesterday and it confirmed some things that I was thinking:

1) I know less than nothing about video
2) Sony makes great sensors
3) Full frame sensors have some advantages
4) Sony's contrast detect autofocus is extremely poor at tracking
5) Samsung is going to be a much bigger threat for Sony than Olympus, Panasonic, Fuji, Canon or Nikon.

My evaluation of Sony's future place in the camera marketplace will depend on how they address the auto-focus on its cameras. Basically, if they can match the kind of performance I saw from that Samsung camera in the video then there shouldn't be any reason Sony can't produce a world class camera. If not, then they'll be in trouble.

ohnri

I have been shooting ice hockey and gymnastics with my NX1 and the 4K video is excellent. Focus following is quite good and the frame grabs make surprisingly high quality images.

Trying to do the same thing on my A7 would be futile and frustrating.

Apart from video, I only notice a difference between the stills from my NX1 and my D800 at the extremes.

If Samsung gets a decent line up of pro lenses I agree that they are a real threat to Sony.

-Bill

jfirneno

I have been shooting ice hockey and gymnastics with my NX1 and the 4K video is excellent. Focus following is quite good and the frame grabs make surprisingly high quality images.

Trying to do the same thing on my A7 would be futile and frustrating.

Apart from video, I only notice a difference between the stills from my NX1 and my D800 at the extremes.

If Samsung gets a decent line up of pro lenses I agree that they are a real threat to Sony.

-Bill
Bill:
Your comment about the NX1/D800 still photos comparison is interesting. Samsung is a very strong company with lots of money so I'm sure Sony has at least one eye open for Samsung's moves.

I am a big fan of Sony cameras. I think what they need to assure the success of their A7 (and A9 when it comes) systems is fast accurate auto-focus. I've heard very good things about the A-6000 auto-focus so I'm hopeful that the next generation of Sony mirrorless full-frames will feature excellent AF.