The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Upcoming A7rII

The Ute

IF the 36 Mpix model will come out soon, the positioning will be as top of the line first. The official suggested prices of the last launches have always been around 2200-2300 $/ €
And if a 50+ Mpix model will come, I´d guess it will be under the Canon 5Ds/r Price, so either a bit over 3K or maybe like 2995,-€.

I nearly take any bet the body will look like the A7II, just chip and signalprocessing will be modified.
That's what I'm expecting.
In my case I hope they stay w the 36MP sensor and just add the other
goodies.

V

Vivek

Vivek, assuming you are interested in 59 MP instead of 36, it requires significant increase in processing power. Add in EFCS and SSS, further increase in processing power. Plus put this in a small package as required by the A7 series, add in metal mount etc, the cost is most likely going to be closer to 2.5 to 3k rather than 2k (in dollars). But if it comes in under 2k it will surely make me interested.:)
Sven, It is a 36mp (but output may be higher based on shift use) sensor (as in the D810), I guess/expect. Even for this (even if you ignore higher pixel output), it has to have a much better processor, yes.

The 50+ mp sensor will go to Nikon first (as is the case with ALL sony sensors) and will be only available 2 years after that in a Sony cam.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
We are not sure this time around the made that deal with Nikon. They just made the CMOS 50 for medium format and everyone got that immediately. Sony may not be making that Nikon deal anymore as they are becoming much more competitive with them and now want that market share. Right now if I was leading Sony I would not be making that deal. Sure build there sensors but not with a 2 year hands off contract. Sony has there hands deeply in the sensor business now. I would not be making those deals anymore.

V

Vivek

I would not either. But we are not running SOny.

The D810 sensor is not bad if that output could be made available in a Sony cam.

V

Vivek

I rather have that hi-res sensor in a Sony FE than a Nikon camera - for my Leica R and M lenses. :D
K-H, if you try the A7s then you will find out that the output from a 12 mp is sharper than the 36mp because of the shutter. It is not the high ISO but the silent shutter that is the salient feature of the best Sony E mount cam to date.

55/1.4 APO Distagon (OTUS) on A7r or olympus pen f 60/1.5 on a7s- for me it is always the latter that would win out based on the final output alone and disregarding the size, etc factors.

I would be very surprised if the forthcoming Sony didn't sport the 56mp sensor that the usual rumor sites have been touting. Personally, I'm looking forward to it and I've never seen any softness out of my A7r. The files actually appear sharper than what was coming out of my IQ260 / Rm3d.

The Ute

I would be very surprised if the forthcoming Sony didn't sport the 56mp sensor that the usual rumor sites have been touting. Personally, I'm looking forward to it and I've never seen any softness out of my A7r. The files actually appear sharper than what was coming out of my IQ260 / Rm3d.
I would much rather see all the other A7II refinements than just a 56MP sensor.

k-hawinkler

K-H, if you try the A7s then you will find out that the output from a 12 mp is sharper than the 36mp because of the shutter. It is not the high ISO but the silent shutter that is the salient feature of the best Sony E mount cam to date.

55/1.4 APO Distagon (OTUS) on A7r or olympus pen f 60/1.5 on a7s- for me it is always the latter that would win out based on the final output alone and disregarding the size, etc factors.
Well, indeed A7s with a bit more resolution would be very interesting.
However, I am not going to buy another FF Sony camera without IBIS.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
It's a helluva lot better than what some give it credit.

etrigan63

I'm with Vivek on this one. I have the A7II and it works well, but I am saving up my shekels for the A7sII. Super clean high-ISO + IBIS + improved ergonomics + silent shutter = WINNER!

My only other hope is true 14-bit RAW files via firmware update.

The Ute

I'm hoping today's SAR rumor suggesting that there will be 2 new A7xx bodies is
true.
An A7RII similar to the A7II but w 36MP , and an all new A8 (or A9) w a 50+ MP
sensor.
That way everyone can be happy.
The wealthy among us can spring for the A8/9 and the gentry can get an improved A7r.
Win-Win.
Now just hurry up and make the announcement Sony.
:)

V

Vivek

I'm hoping today's SAR rumor suggesting that there will be 2 new A7xx bodies is
true.
An A7RII similar to the A7II but w 36MP , and an all new A8 (or A9) w a 50+ MP
sensor.
That way everyone can be happy.
The wealthy among us can spring for the A8/9 and the gentry can get an improved A7r.
Win-Win.
Now just hurry up and make the announcement Sony.
:)
The leaks are watertight, leading only to speculations. :) They will, naturally, leak information at their (Sony) own discretion.

The Ute

Looks like we will get an announcement next week according to SAR.
Can't wait.
I'll be all over the A7RII (If the price is right).
;)